+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

Default Re: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

Huh, the thread moved quite a bit since my last visit.

I was just about to ask if it's worth giving it a chance, because it seems impossible to get objective reviews on the internet. So bizarre, it's 2021 and I have to resort to my home backwater bulletin forum for legit opinions.

Like, remember when people used to tell you to "just google" stuff?

I can't trust youtubers because they're professionals

I can't trust influencers on twitter because they're professionals (more often than not)

I can't trust reviews on the big rating sites because they are either bought or incel bombed

I can't trust those who like the show because they could be just sugarcoating it out of spite for the above mentioned groups. Like it stopped being about the show days ago and now it's just another political battlefield.

_________

So, is this watchable?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Huh, the thread moved quite a bit since my last visit.

I was just about to ask if it's worth giving it a chance, because it seems impossible to get objective reviews on the internet. So bizarre, it's 2021 and I have to resort to my home backwater bulletin forum for legit opinions.

Like, remember when people used to tell you to "just google" stuff?

I can't trust youtubers because they're professionals

I can't trust influencers on twitter because they're professionals (more often than not)

I can't trust reviews on the big rating sites because they are either bought or incel bombed

I can't trust those who like the show because they could be just sugarcoating it out of spite for the above mentioned groups. Like it stopped being about the show days ago and now it's just another political battlefield.

_________

So, is this watchable?
    The answer is yes but you do have to put up with some weirdness to get to the good stuff.

Most people seem to like the first episode more than I did, though.

So, is this watchable?
    Went in with lowered expectations and it's ok. Nothing groundbreaking. Considering there's just 5 25 minute episodes, you'll spend as much time as watching any blockbuster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Yeah right, it was really just 5 episodes. Binged it yesterday.

Spoiler:

Tinfoil hats on, but could it be that this outrage is fabricated? Like, bad press is better than no press, but much easier to trigger? Because this is such a boring nothingburger, it's not even fun to make fun of it.

Like I can't even see this supposed feminist agenda. Where is it? Every freaking episode still gravitates around He-Man and Skeletor, either with the supporting characters reminiscing about them or with flashbacks. And the final episode even ends with Evillyn falling back in line the moment Skeletor returned, like a good girl .

Ah well, in the end it worked. I took notice of it due to several newspapers writing about the outrage... and the voyeur in me took the bait.

It wasn't a complete waste of time though. The random talking green cat cracked me up, just like Skeletor torching that Plantdude. Hearing Cersei again was also nice.

Yeah right, it was really just 5 episodes. Binged it yesterday.

Tinfoil hats on, but could it be that this outrage is fabricated? Like, bad press is better than no press, but much easier to trigger?
    Well yeah, manufacturing outrage is standard procedure for an awful lot of western movies and TV shows now.
    Spoiler:

Because this is such a boring nothingburger, it's not even fun to make fun of it.

Like I can't even see this supposed feminist agenda. Where is it? Every freaking episode still gravitates around He-Man and Skeletor, either with the supporting characters reminiscing about them or with flashbacks.
    To be fair they were all making fun of him in that and downplaying his importance in that one "reminiscing" scene.
    That doesn't make it feminist but I really don't think Kevin Smith liked He-Man as a character, which is why we ended up with a show that sidelines him and focuses mainly on the other characters.

What they did to Teela does feel like cynical pandering by someone who went "chicks like this stuff, right?" over and over.

And the final episode even ends with Evillyn falling back in line the moment Skeletor returned, like a good girl .
    I was a little annoyed by the fact that Kevin Smith seems to really want to make Skeletor Joker.
    That just feels... off and not He-Man at all.

Write what you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Uh oh, there's female characters in this and they aren't white or big boobed! Get out the pitchforks!
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

How buffed is too buffed?

Looks like a cheap mobile game trailer.

Also since when is He-Man such a hot brand that we needed remake after remake?

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

As far as a more kid focused program, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Getting Sonic SatAM vibes from the environment.

MOTU has had a very dedicated fanbase for years. Continuing a a successful collector-focused toyline for 10 or so years. Mattel is seeing how brands like Transformers have reached beyond their 80's roots and want to try that with their fondly remembered property.

It worked for SheRa a few years back , and it was poised to work with Revelations til the manbabies cried about "woke". This new show looks to be the freshest the brand has been since the start and I hope it manages to genuinely rope in new fans. Hopefully the current gatekeepers are smart enough to welcome the new blood.
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Should have went all the way and turned it into lego version. Now that shit would sell!

I swear, middle ground is so underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Uh oh, there's female characters in this and they aren't white or big boobed! Get out the pitchforks!
    I was really turned off by the World of Warcraft look at first but there's definitely some potential in that trailer.

Looks like a cheap mobile game trailer.

Also since when is He-Man such a hot brand that we needed remake after remake?
    Since Netflix bought the rights, and She-Ra did VERY well.

Same reason we got a whole bunch of new Star Wars movies after Disney bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    Hopefully the current gatekeepers are smart enough to welcome the new blood.
    This is a false hope and you know it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

At least Netflix has handled MoTU better than Disney did Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    At least Netflix has handled MoTU better than Disney did Star Wars.
    Are we talking strictly the movies or everything in general?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Are we talking strictly the movies or everything in general?
    I've only seen the movies.

New trailer for the 2nd half of Masters of the Universe: Revelation.

I enjoyed the first half of the season, so I can't wait to see what happens next.

Wow, that trailer is SUPER supoilery. Like, crazy spoilery.

I get that they had to reassure viewers that "no Adam isn't actually dead" after they killed him twice and there was huge backlash, but don't show... that. or the other things they gave away.

Releasing this in halves was a mistake.

Spoiler:
    Orko's not dead?

There's some good news at least.

Holy shit. Should have skipped the trailer after seeing Robby's post. What kind of a sick, twisted mind throws out a trailer like that? Were they so scared nobody will want to see it after first part?

Spoiler:
    "He-Man is still the main character, don't worry! There's some awesome moments! Beautifully animated action sequences, way better than in part 1! And we didn't kill off Orko, don't worry!"

Fuck I wish I didn't see it.
    Last edited by Razh; October 28th, 2021 at 03:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information