+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Talk About Mental Health Issues and Be Nice About It

Default Talk About Mental Health Issues and Be Nice About It

Since there was one about LGBT, I felt like this would be helpful as well, as a lot of people with mental illness get stigmatized. I recently got diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, and I was wondering if anyone else has that here, and if so how do you cope with it?

Also, I be learning a skill set called DBT (Dialectical behavior therapy) soon to combat the illness. As for my other mental health diagnoses, I have PTSD from childhood trauma, severe depression, and social phobia. Anyways, I hope this can be a safe place to talk about this specific topic.

My AniList: https://anilist.co/user/starlalilymoon/
    Discord: starlalilymoon#3489 | Steam: starlalilymoon
    Avatar Information: Artist - カグレ; Character - Gardevoir; Series - Pokémon

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Default Re: Talk About Mental Health Issues and Be Nice About It

I suffer from anxiety, depression, bi-polar, aspergers, PTSD, which, grouped with my ADHD, has made life very difficult for me to cope with. I, too, have dealt with the stigma of my conditions which have gotten me barked at by teachers, my parents, and my peers alike.

It's not fun. At all.

Wrong thread?

Regardless, as someone basically belonging to both the T and the G part of LGBT, I have to disagree. The fights for sexual, romantic and gender freedom are deeply intertwined, easily exemplified with the Stonewall riots for one. It's true that sexuality and gender identity are two separate concepts with their own set of hardships and issues, but both suffer from the same, hetero- and cisnormative worldview some people still rigidly adhere to. Dividing these groups serves only the opposition...
    Now that I say it, I suspect this post was another jab from that direction. And even if it isn't, whenever this argument comes up, I can never see what is to be gained by this separation. Would the lives of LGB people improve? Would people under the T umbrella be better off?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Wrong thread?

Regardless, as someone basically belonging to both the T and the G part of LGBT, I have to disagree. The fights for sexual, romantic and gender freedom are deeply intertwined, easily exemplified with the Stonewall riots for one. It's true that sexuality and gender identity are two separate concepts with their own set of hardships and issues, but both suffer from the same, hetero- and cisnormative worldview some people still rigidly adhere to. Dividing these groups serves only the opposition...
    Now that I say it, I suspect this post was another jab from that direction. And even if it isn't, whenever this argument comes up, I can never see what is to be gained by this separation. Would the lives of LGB people improve? Would people under the T umbrella be better off?
    I think that user is a spambot. I looked through their post history and found this: http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread...72#post3980972
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I think that user is a spambot. I looked through their post history and found this: http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread...72#post3980972
    I won't say I'm surprised. Oh, well~

Here we are, Windy summer! Oddball's Avatar

It's been mentioned here before, I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at age four. When I was little, I had the classic symptoms (having narrow interests, walking on tip-toes, rocking, crying easily, etc). I grew out of most of my symptoms and now some of my current problems are losing my train of thought easily, being anxious, not seeing things in front of me, picking holes and threads in my clothing and sometimes being vague in my speech.

Normally I don't tell people about my autism because there were people in my life who knew about my disorder and took full advantage of it. For example, a couple of close people have told others about my autism in order to discredit me in situations. I'm sorry I have to be vague about who did that to protect their identity.

Because of those ordeals, I don't feel comfortable telling even close friends about it. It's part of what gave me trust issues. Yes, there have been people who use autism as a crutch for bad behaviors (ex. Chris-chan and other lolcows) and it's unacceptable. I don't like receiving unwarranted special treatment, I just want to be treated like everyone else. I'm socially awkward at times, but I learn from my mistakes fairly quickly.
    Check out my cute Etsy store
    Please read my webtoon Truffle Cat Cafe

I know this a bit late, but wanted to respond. (Need to check this forum more often >-<)

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    It's been mentioned here before, I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at age four. When I was little, I had the classic symptoms (having narrow interests, walking on tip-toes, rocking, crying easily, etc). I grew out of most of my symptoms and now some of my current problems are losing my train of thought easily, being anxious, not seeing things in front of me, picking holes and threads in my clothing and sometimes being vague in my speech.
    Yeah, that sounds rough >-<

Normally I don't tell people about my autism because there were people in my life who knew about my disorder and took full advantage of it. For example, a couple of close people have told others about my autism in order to discredit me in situations. I'm sorry I have to be vague about who did that to protect their identity.
    I hate that. That was not very nice of them at all.

Because of those ordeals, I don't feel comfortable telling even close friends about it. It's part of what gave me trust issues. Yes, there have been people who use autism as a crutch for bad behaviors (ex. Chris-chan and other lolcows) and it's unacceptable. I don't like receiving unwarranted special treatment, I just want to be treated like everyone else. I'm socially awkward at times, but I learn from my mistakes fairly quickly.
    Yeah, I want to be treated the same as anyone else too. Though at the same time I struggle with the idea that I'm broken and that I never function in society with my issues. I have trust issues too with people but for very different reasons. (Abusive family, etc.)

I have been suffering from depression and social anxiety since I was 15 years old or so. I'm 30 now.

I don't take meds for my issues and I'm proud to say I've made significant progress in the past 7-8 or years. Mind over matter!

This is a fabulous article a friend posted about how laziness and procrastination don't really exist, it's all situational constraints and barriers, both psychologically and socially:
    https://humanparts.medium.com/lazine...t-3af27e312d01

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    This is a fabulous article a friend posted about how laziness and procrastination don't really exist, it's all situational constraints and barriers, both psychologically and socially:
    https://humanparts.medium.com/lazine...t-3af27e312d01
    It feels really good to see someone else say that, because I've spent my life fighting pointed accusations of laziness while slowly figuring out and trying to explain that I'm not lazy, I'm just exhausted and have a lot of trouble functioning when anxiety or PTSD symptoms get set off.
    I have a horribly abusive helicopter mother who both insists on trying to walk in and take over my life on a whim because she doesn't trust me to do anything and tends to end up unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) sabotaging whatever it is she's trying to "do right", leaving me with a wreck of a problem worse than when I started, a total lack of motivation to do the thing that she's now poisoned, and inevitably someone I've let down other than myself who doesn't believe me when I complain about my mother because she's already gone behind my back and told him/her that I'm lazy and cruel and blame everything on everyone else.

I recently moved out of my parents house (finally!) but at a heavy cost: almost all of my property was destroyed by mold, which I tried to warn them about for years but all I ever got in response was gaslighting.

There are a lot of manga that I don't know if I'll ever be able to bring myself to re-read because I remember the joy of collecting the volumes and seeing them on my shelf, and it was extremely upsetting to have to throw all of that away.

I didn't get a dime in compensation because my parents refused to even consider filing a claim with insurance and threatened me if I ever told anyone about it.

I wonder if anyone here struggles with borderline personality disorder. A lot of times I get into moods where I feel like everyone hates me and I will be alone forever without friends. I also been having trouble with conflict resolution, especially in terms of people having a different viewpoint or opinion than me. I'm lucky that during this pandemic my therapy decided to do Zoom sessions, so that's been helpful indeed. It's nice to see someone compared to just hearing their voice.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    It feels really good to see someone else say that, because I've spent my life fighting pointed accusations of laziness while slowly figuring out and trying to explain that I'm not lazy, I'm just exhausted and have a lot of trouble functioning when anxiety or PTSD symptoms get set off.
    I have a horribly abusive helicopter mother who both insists on trying to walk in and take over my life on a whim because she doesn't trust me to do anything and tends to end up unintentionally (or maybe intentionally) sabotaging whatever it is she's trying to "do right", leaving me with a wreck of a problem worse than when I started, a total lack of motivation to do the thing that she's now poisoned, and inevitably someone I've let down other than myself who doesn't believe me when I complain about my mother because she's already gone behind my back and told him/her that I'm lazy and cruel and blame everything on everyone else.
    Yeah, that sounds a bit like my mother, who was very controlling, looked down on me, and saw me as a failure. She also did everything for me, which wrecked me when I got older, as I didn't know how to be independent. I still have these issues, but improved a bit. For my PTSD I have been working with EMDR, but right now that's on hiatus due to the pandemic, but the therapist checks on me every week which is nice.

I hope eventually you be healed from these wounds. It sucks when the very people who supposed to take care of us turn against us. I also had the issue with people not believing me about my mother problem, specifically with other members of my family, so I feel ya there. I am free from my family as well, I'm lucky I moved out and escaped this hell. I'm glad you were able to escape and now be free from the emotional abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    Yeah, that sounds a bit like my mother, who was very controlling, looked down on me, and saw me as a failure. She also did everything for me, which wrecked me when I got older, as I didn't know how to be independent. I still have these issues, but improved a bit. For my PTSD I have been working with EMDR, but right now that's on hiatus due to the pandemic, but the therapist checks on me every week which is nice.

I hope eventually you be healed from these wounds. It sucks when the very people who supposed to take care of us turn against us. I also had the issue with people not believing me about my mother problem, specifically with other members of my family, so I feel ya there. I am free from my family as well, I'm lucky I moved out and escaped this hell. I'm glad you were able to escape and now be free from the emotional abuse.
    Thanks, I hope to.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Thanks, I hope to.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through something similar.
    Yeah, stuff like this hard to deal with. I wish some parents would think of how their actions affect their own children, but sadly some just lack that ability.

I have aspergers and bipolar disorder.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information