+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 939: The Old Leopard Never Forgets the Way

Default Re: Chapter 939: The Old Leopard Never Forgets the Way

Maybe I'm just being a fanboy, but aside from Dressrosa's Birdcage and Fishman Island's Noah, all of One Piece's "last act hitches" have been great to me. In fact, I'd consider it a defining aspect of why I like the series so much.
    Exactly! I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. But in order for this to be a 'story' it must have ups and downs and there has never been a story like One Piece where everyone just plows through it.

Look at One Punch Man. The title is....literally.....One...Punch....Man. And yet we have had villains that take more than one punch.

Now as far as things being bleak for Luffy now, our concern for Luffy should be equivalent to that of his crew. Yes, their initial reaction was 'WTF!?' but almost immediately they were like, "Whatevs. We'll deal."

Now, by plan failing, I don't mean this arc will end in disaster. I mean, the 9 they're depending on are going to be in some form or another, incapacitated, kept busy, etc. That's when a new 9 (10, possibly 11) stand up to take their place and become a new legendary group. It's natural progression.

The Seven Samurai is basically what inspired Oda-san to create One Piece. He's not going to leave this arc without Luffy's crew taking up that legendary status in Wano. The plan will fail...before it succeeds.

I can't wait to see Marco fight and kick ass

if I didn't think Zoro would fight king (and sanji queen) I'd tots be all on board for Marco vs King, you know, Right hand and most powerful subordinate of a Yonko that also has a flying Devil Fruit and use flames..... would be a pretty great match up

But I'm expecting him to fight Kaido with Luffy, Momo and either Dog Storm or Katakuri

so Zoro and Sanji get the big match ups and become huge names in One Piece's world

But Marco isn't coming to Wano.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Luffy is in jail. Zoro got brutally wounded. Law got his subordinates kidnapped and every potential ally they could have is being arrested because their plan got leaked.

I think they are on very thin ice already.
    The main problem is Strawhats keep treating those events as minor inconveniences at worse. Just compare jail scenes between WCI and Wano, Luffy was bleeding and screaming in the former while laughing in the latter, complete opposite in tones. Strawhats DIDN’T feel danger nor loss in ANY of the circumstances you mentioned, only their allies did (Law, minks, samurai etc.). Unfortunately Strawhats are the MCs whose perspective is how we see the story. It doesn’t matter how much loss their allies suffered, the tone of story would NOT shift to higher stakes unless MCs start acting like it.

Luffy's in jail and he's completely treating it as a party training camp. There is no sense of danger or that his losing when he did was an ultimately bad thing.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So, you guys expect Luffy will actually get to take on Queen for a while before Big Mom crashes the party?

I figure it will either happen just before they get to fight, or just in time to pull Luffy out of a possible pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    So, you guys expect Luffy will actually get to take on Queen for a while before Big Mom crashes the party?

I figure it will either happen just before they get to fight, or just in time to pull Luffy out of a possible pinch.
    I am all for Big Mom getting further manipulated by Queen for some food.

"Want more? You just have to knock off that guy from the ring."

Sumo match of hell: O-Lin vs Luffytaro.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    I am all for Big Mom getting further manipulated by Queen for some food.
    I was thinking something similar ; that Big Mom would not be a part of the solution but a further complication of the problem. Like, she could get her memories back at the worst possible moment and Luffy ends up having to fight her on top of escaping. (She may still disrupt the sumo match and cause chaos regardless)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Exactly, from my perspective, Chopper freaking out as they head to the prison is a clear indicator that Big Mom's involvement will be more chaotic than simply helping them out.

She will help in the outbreak, as in, will cause a turmoil which gives the alliance a time to act. But, I'm sure Oda can go beyond that. Be it by having Linlin regaining her memories, or be manipulated by Queen.

The reason why I prefer the latter is because of the humor behind it. Queen just said she would not share her food (but does because it is Big Mom). And because Big Mom's amnesia prevents her from using her Devil Fruit powers freely/consciously. Leaving O-lin with her natural raw strength and "iron balloon defense". Which should serve as perfect practice for Luffy and improving his haki.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    Exactly, from my perspective, Chopper freaking out as they head to the prison is a clear indicator that Big Mom's involvement will be more chaotic than simply helping them out.

She will help in the outbreak, as in, will cause a turmoil which gives the alliance a time to act. But, I'm sure Oda can go beyond that. Be it by having Linlin regaining her memories, or be manipulated by Queen.

The reason why I prefer the latter is because of the humor behind it. Queen just said she would not share her food (but does because it is Big Mom). And because Big Mom's amnesia prevents her from using her Devil Fruit powers freely/consciously. Leaving O-lin with her natural raw strength and "iron balloon defense". Which should serve as perfect practice for Luffy and improving his haki.
    Big Mom being manipulated by Queen would have to be momentary, because Kaido+BM would be much of a team to defeat.

To me BM regaining her memories by a Luffy's hit will be... fantastic

Anyway there're more options, I guess.

Don't really see any kind of manipulation happening. If BM wants that somesuch Queen is eating, she will just go and get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

I wonder if Kaido can "destroy" the moon. I mean he is crazy, he is strong and he can fly

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Don't really see any kind of manipulation happening. If BM wants that somesuch Queen is eating, she will just go and get it.
    Yes, but much like Kiku and the rest of Okobore. If Queen gives it to her and offers her more, it could lead to an interesting setup.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

Discovered Stowaway

Big Mom showing up there this soon really surprised me but I'm still wondering if Moria is going to show up and voluntarily help empower Luffy to fight Kaido. I mean, he's got a grudge against both of them but his hate-boner for Kaido has been festering for a lot longer than it has for Luffy. But I bet O-Lin will somehow have her world shaken by the revelation about Mother Caramel at some point so even if she remembers who she really is, she'll have her outlook changed and not be hostile, or at least be too paralyzed by grief to do anything.

But I'm also wondering if Brook will ever learn how to possess another person's body. That seems like the logical conclusion of his ability to separate his soul from his own body at this point. And Chopper, after constantly being mistaken for a Tanuki, should try to learn a new transformation from the ninja, since those guys are supposed to be masters of disguise. Also a Kirin Point transformation since it's likely there's a Kirin somewhere in Wano (actually it looked like Hawkins was riding one a few chapters back.) I think that's probably the only way those guys are going to be relevant in this arc. It feels like a handful of the Straw Hats have learned new moves already or will be doing so. Luffy's learning that Goken or whatever it's called, Zoro's likely going to pick up a new sword or learn a new move in the process of reclaiming it, Sanji's got his Raid Suit, Nami's got Zeus power now...that's 4 out of the original 7 Samurai numerically, so hopefully at least Brook, Chopper and one of the other Straw Hats will learn something new as a sign that they are going to become that archetypal band of seven.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    But Marco isn't coming to Wano.
    I mean he did say that he wouldn't go, but I was under the impression Catviper would convince him, I mean what was even the point of that subplot if nothing ends up happening with it?

Mom's gonna have to squeeze the shiruko outta him.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Yeah, def one way to look at it. But that's how I read One Piece now. It's like looking at the Matrix code and understanding what it means.
    Some things can't be unseen huh. Just makes me long for when i was a kid and i never saw shit coming and got to enjoy everything like it didn't follow a pattern. But that's growing older i suppose, c'est la vie

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I mean he did say that he wouldn't go, but I was under the impression Catviper would convince him, I mean what was even the point of that subplot if nothing ends up happening with it?
    Convince him how? You saw the chapter, Nekomamushi even agreed that he should stay behind to protect the village that was important to Whitebeard. Neither of them have any reason to suddenly change their mind before Neko leaves for Wano.

As for the point of that subplot, if you recall, Marco gave Neko a message to give to Luffy. So something did come out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Convince him how? You saw the chapter, Nekomamushi even agreed that he should stay behind to protect the village that was important to Whitebeard. Neither of them have any reason to suddenly change their mind before Neko leaves for Wano.

As for the point of that subplot, if you recall, Marco gave Neko a message to give to Luffy. So something did come out of it.
    guess I got to reread that part, If it's true I wonder how Marco will be reintroduced to the series, I mean weviel did say he was one of his targets, and I wouldn't be surprised if the black beard pirates wanted Marco's DF too

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Some things can't be unseen huh. Just makes me long for when i was a kid and i never saw shit coming and got to enjoy everything like it didn't follow a pattern. But that's growing older i suppose, c'est la vie
    There are still surprising elements like IMU and time travel.

But when you know Oda's personal rules and storytelling rules, the beats the story must hit in an arc become clear after a certain point.

Not a bad thing. I think I read an article that proposed, from a structural perspective, only six varieties of stories have ever been told.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information