+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 878: ''The World Is Shocked - A Fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges!''

Default 878: ''The World Is Shocked - A Fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges!''

The leaks are real but the news is fake.

Title: ''The World Is Shocked - A Fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges!''
    Chapters Covered: 903
    Episode Director: Yutaka Nakashima (***1/2)
    Animation Director: Hirotaka Ito (***1/2) + Eisaku Inoue (*****)
    Time: 8:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Default Re: 878: ''The World Is Shocked - A Fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges!''

Haven't done these in a while, but here's a livestream link if anybody wants to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPvw9xVb-A

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Some changes from Opening 21 - Episode 878
    Spoiler:

The Fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges - Episode 878

One Piece Episode 879 Preview
    Last edited by thaihoa91; March 30th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Wow, that's...a really flashy color scheme for Lindbergh, to say the least.

Karasu looks really cool with the deathly pale skin though.

Spoiler:

Remember how people complained about Toei doing 1 chapter per episode? Well, Toei listened to us and covered half a chapter this episode.........See Toei animation listens to the fans and exceeds their expectations.....

I don't care soo much about the pace, but I really hope they do a filler arc before Wano so they don't have to go at such an absurd pace.

Well...this episode left me unsatisfied for multiple reasons.

Let's start with the goods, the flashback was rather neat. It definitely felt very fast paced. Hirotaka Ito's close-up art was very nice. God that Shanks CoA stare was gud af. H. Ito's half was definitely more impressive than Inoue's 2nd half, which brings me to my 2nd point.

Inoue was one of the best (if not the best) AD's on the show back in the day and his performance on this episode was rough tbh. Lot's of off-model distance shots and even some iffy more closer shots. That's why I would personally rank Inoue as a (****), I'd even give him a (***) in his current state but I'll ad another * because of prestige and because we have yet to see his full current potential.

Another problem was the covered content. I really hoped we would have gotten a full chapter episode, but that was not the case sadly, because of "big reasons".

But either way, the episode director Nakashima and H. Ito both said that this episode was on a tight schedule therefore given this context we could be more forgiving.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

Well all I'll say is at least Chapter 1 is FINALLY animated properly in the actual TV series and not in like 3 different specials...

Not what people want but, I'll still take it.

I came here because y'all are typically the most thoughtful. I do agree I was initially disappointed since I expected 903.

I dunno though, this is a nice "See how far we've come?" moment. WCI is absolute trippy chaotic madness, and contrasting that with a current-animation Chapter 1 dealing with basic bandits and a very grounded story is really cool.

Plus I mean Oda does give Toei notes. Shanks did not look super 100% nice guy here like he originally did, so maybe Oda slipped Toei some notes to portray Shanks more badass/different since we're almost certainly getting more plot twists with him.

I liked the episode and saw it as necessary, the kick in the groin is that the next episode's also like this.

Episodes like this are a mixed bag. On one side, longtime fans will complain and I get it. From the studio perspective, they are bringing characters that have not been relevant in many episodes or even mentioned, and with new audiences coming in through new generations of children, it's necessary to reintroduce these characters through flashbacks. It always feels ill-placed but kind of a necessary evil. Now I mean they already recapped past arcs just before WCI began so I don't want to see that again so soon. Next week is a Coby flashback which is also understandable.

The episode was alright.

Nakashima's direction was fine enough, and the first art had lots of pretty art. It did well with the content it covered, however, I felt like I was one of those people who thought episode was cut slightly too early, however, I think that may just be due to use being manga readers. Know a lot of people get pissy about flashback episodes, but I think this episode at least did a good job of framing the flashback so it actually felt like it had some place in this episode.

In that respect, I found an opinion I thought quite insightful about this episode.

"OP is hundreds of episodes long and picks up new fans constantly. It has an obligation to keep them in the know. I know of episode 1's events, but it was kind of nice to go on a nostalgia trip about where this all began, and then end it with a pretty huge new chapter in his pirate career. It succeeded with what it set out to do. Unless next week somehow undoes that, then I really don't see the issue beyond omggg how dare it not match my manga experience."

In that respect, I think the episode was fine. Nothing exceptional, but fine.

Not really sure what to think of next weeks episode. Don't think it'll be anything to write home about either based on the staff, and I think that's also perfectly fine.

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Bruh, it's been like, what? Over a year? Ten years? And I STILL can't handle that opening. Possibly the worst OP opening ever without a drop of hyperbole. But I do appreciate that they thought turning it into English would somehow make the music better.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    But I do appreciate that they thought turning it into English would somehow make the music better.
    I changed original audio from opening to english cover. English cover by Dave https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wop-Hvl6kAM

Going from last week's phenomenal conclusion to this is a great way to knock the wind out of the sails and start the next round of fan discourse on a sour note. I get the reasoning behind having recap episodes and this arc is a good opportunity for them, but for us hardcore fans they're completely unnecessary. I would really prefer they just stick give them an episode all to themselves instead of awkwardly breaking up the canon material like this. Inoue's art in the second half was very yikes too, but maybe that's the tradeoff for getting some actual good Shingaki next week.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Came here for the the RA Commanders colors, got what I wanted.

The first look gave me a "fan coloring" feeling, but I think that's more to do with the way lighting/shadowing was done in that frame rather than the colors themselves because, taking a second look, I really dig those colors. Particularly Lindbergh. Belo Betty is taking flag-bearer to the next level and basically became a walking RA flag with her all red clothes (although it coupled with the purple hair gives her almost the exact same colors as Ivankov...).
    Last edited by .access timeco.; March 31st, 2019 at 05:52 AM.

The two new stills in the opening were nice... but the new animation is just taken from the series and not synced properly with the music.

Duuuude

I had a feeling there would be minor opening animation updates for Reverie.

I'm certain Wano will have a brand new opening.

This is exactly why I stopped watching the anime weekly.

Had East Blue not just recently happened I probably wouldn't be as furious.
    Last edited by Mr. Reloaded; March 31st, 2019 at 06:53 PM.
    Working process.

Yonkou allied force evilvanessafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    The two new stills in the opening were nice... but the new animation is just taken from the series and not synced properly with the music.
    there's more than just 2 new stills, there's at least a couple of them....

and next week, we'll have Koby flashbacks to when he met Luffy and Zoro...
    and the rest of chapter 903.

Incredible episode. It was reanimated for a reason. The first chapter gave you all the keys. Some observations:

1. The episode begins with two gulls flying over the sea, one small and one large. The small one leads. Shanks gazes out at the scene and smiles. Cut to the flashback at the docks. Gulls again, but this time the larger one leads the smaller. Obviously symbolic of the mentor-mentee relationship. Luffy is now considered to be on par with his mentor, as Morgans has stated.

2. Where did Shanks' scars come from? They're important enough to make it onto his jolly roger (despite being the Red-Haired Pirates). I wonder if it has to do with a time he lost a friend?

3. Luffy stabbing himself becomes anime canon. Lil man think he tough. He think that's what's gonna make him a man. "I'm not scared of getting hurt!" If only you knew, Monkey D. The journey will lead to you getting even more scars.

4. "My punches are strong as pistols!" He's well on his way here. Luffy's attacks have always been named after guns, but he's becoming a full-fledged artillery after Gear 4 (Color of Armaments; Kong Gun is a cannon; Kong Organ; Gear 4 Tankman; Gum Gum Black Mamba sounds like a gunfight in a western).

5. Higuma is every OP villain: an unscrupulous, overconfident, bullying buzzkill with an ax to grind.

6. Luffy is PISSED that Shanks allowed himself to look weak in the bar, but the anime makes it clear this time that Shanks had been fighting back the whole time. He chose to diffuse the situation in a way that led to no one getting hurt. His whole crew realizes that Shanks could have decimated everyone in a second.

7. Shanks consciously chooses not to dodge the bottle despite being able to. Shanks hears Higuma's trash ass bounty and immediately jumps to cleaning. Shanks dodges Higuma's sword through Color of Observation haki.

8. Makino dabbing Shanks' dripping chest ain't a coincidence. Nor is the baby. Ace 2.0. Or the protagonist of One Piece Super.

9. Where did Luffy get the Gum Gum Fruit from? That treasure chest wasn't always on the bar. Come to think of it, where did Shanks get the Gum Gum Fruit from? Why did he have it? Who was going to eat it? The Red-Haired Pirates were docked at Windmill Village for months. Were the Red-Haired Pirates in hiding?

10. Lucky Roo teleports and Benn Beckmann beats an entire crew with a single swing of his rifle.

11. Shanks uses the Conquerer-Color Ambition Wave to scare off the Sea King. The anime makes it explicit this time around.

12. Shanks gave Luffy the Gum Gum fruit, his own arm, and his Straw Hat. These are all significant things. Is Shanks' Straw Hat the same as Roger's Straw Hat? Why were Shanks' eyes hidden when he gave Luffy the hat this time?

13. Luffy will have to be returning that hat sometime soon. Luffy made that vow and he's gonna have to keep it. He will be King of the Pirates, but will it be as "Straw Hat Luffy"? Or does he have to pass it on first?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information