+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 91 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1802

Thread: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Default Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    New Pokemon is basically 90% of the appeal in my opinion.
    And this is the problem here. All of the new pokemon look really great, but they didn't reveal that many. Instead of showing us today a new Pokemon, we got 5 Kanto Pokemon. They should at least know that many people will be sour about this.

I think it's weird that the only overmarketing done with Pokemon that gets to me is Charizard. I don't like how Charizard got two megas while the other starters got one, and it also doesn't sit well with me that Charizard has a Gigantamax form while the other starters probably won't (I could be jumping the gun in assuming that though). I'd also like there to see more variants and extras for Pokemon outside Gen 1.

But for individual Pokemon? Pikachu and Eevee+lutions are also marketed a lot and I've never minded it. I've always liked those Pokemon and the overmarketing didn't turn me off of them like might have played a part in with Charizard, who I also used to like. Mewtwo got two megas too and I'm indifferent about that. I don't like the idea of Ash Greninja, but I usually forget it exists since it's only anime and promotional and it's more like a calmer "I disagree with this concept" instead of "Charizard gets more focus than the other two starters and I don't like the two megas and the Gigantamax if the other starters don't get the same". Basically with Ash Greninja I just think it (and then forget it exists for a while), while with Charizard I feel it.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

It's not a bad thing to have only a few new pokemon, as the list is already huge and I'd rather have a few really good pokemon than a bunch of mediocre.

Gen 1 pandering aside, I at least liked all of the new Gigantamax God that name is so silly to me Pokemon besides Eevee. 2 Kaiju and 2 memes. Perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Volcaronoa got robbed. -_-

I want to believe too big guy
    3ds code friend:0404-6254-1866
    new "new"3ds code friend:0791-4253-7110 (monster hunter)

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    It's not a bad thing to have only a few new pokemon, as the list is already huge and I'd rather have a few really good pokemon than a bunch of mediocre.
    I've generally liked most of the new pokemon. The only gen that I didn't was 4, so I'm all for quantity being emphasized in Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    A regional variant and a special evolution are two different things.
    Sure, but you have things like Shellos and Vivillion that have multiple different regional forms in the same game with no stat changes, and things like Burmy and Oricoro that get multiple evos that have have different typings while still being the same monster. (rather than getting the Eevee treatment of multiple numbers). Plus all the legendaries that have transformations. (I'm still annoyed the Oricoros don't even learn different moves or even have A move that adapts to their typing.)

There's nothing stopping them from having multiple Charizards for the sake of Charizard, plus the precedent of it getting two megas.
    Last edited by Robby; October 16th, 2019 at 07:29 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I'm still annoyed the Oricoros don't even learn different moves or even have A move that adapts to their typing.
    Pretty sure that's exactly what its signature move does.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Pretty sure that's exactly what its signature move does.
    It actually has one? When does it get it? It never had anything of the sort when I used it.

Ah. Level 40. When you catch it at level 9. I see. Well, that's something at least I guess, though not as useful as actually learning a variety of moves along the way based on typing.

Thats about as useful as catching Grubbin in route 1 but not being able to evolve to its final form until the end of the game.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

In sun and moon level 40 is nowhere near as stupid as level 40 in other gens. I specifically recall having Primarina learn moonblast on the team skull complex at level 44, and that was with all pokemon being roughly the same level in my party. So that would mean Oricorio having it's signature move past most of the game but before fighting evil teams, dealing with legendaries, clearing two kahuna fights and doing the entirety of the endgame.
    Nowhere near as stupid as other gens like 6, where popular mega evolutions were locked to post-game, or gen 5, where some pokemon evolve so late you don't see their final form until post-game.

Anyway, I'm hoping for this gen they really are intentionally limiting their news of new pokemon to keep them secret, while instead focusing teasers to crap that only really matters for picking a version or getting perks from other things.
    Still, can't help but hate stuff like today's reveal. Gigantamax gen 1 pokemon that feel slapped on to appease marketing needs instead of actually being hype, original ideas. They're also nowhere near as lasting or cool as mega evolutions where and feel dated even before the game has released.
    But meanwhile on the rest of the internet: "meowth is long and pikachu is fat, lololol memes", so I guess it's just a specific part of the fanbase that resents this while the general public still eats it up because it's pokemon they recognize. The sad thing of all the gen 1 pandering is that it really does seem to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post

Also, these should all just be mega evolutions. Making the Pokemon into kaiju just looks kinda dumb in my opinion.
    At least for the raid specific battles it makes sense.

It sucks that we lost all of the megas for this new power up. So now, instead of nearly 50 megas split across multiple generations, we get these new kaiju forms for gen 1 pokemon and inflated versions of everything not gen 1.

I kind of thought people were split on mega evolutions (especially with some of the designs not particularly being impressive looking.

They keep adding new gimmicks at the expense of things which actually work. Last gen we got Z moves, but lost triple and rotation battles.
    People liked these?

This gen, we get Kaiju battles and lose mega evolution. How about we bring back triple and rotation battles along with megas, retcon the gigantamax forms into new megas (Mega Charizard Z, etc.), ditch the kaiju gimmick and leave Z moves on the ash heap of bad ideas. I wouldn't mind the gimmicks if they didn't keep cutting things which are actually good and well liked.
    If you do that wouldn't essentially get complaints of them not introducing anything new?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar
    Watching a fat, egg-shaped woman fall down a waterfall.

90-minute preview embargos lifted today (was a play session recently). Most (lke 85% of them, give or take) of the previews are pretty damn positive (more than I thought they would be), the other 15% have some minor worries here and there and/or are simply "meh" on the game as a whole.

Here's some links:

Game Informer: https://www.gameinformer.com/preview...ng-of-the-game

Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ord-and-shield

VG24/7: https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/17/pok...itch-gameplay/

The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/17/20917661/pokemon-sword-and-shield-hands-on-opening-impressions-gigantamax-dynamax

IGN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54jqTp3A-AQ

NintendoLife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAsEJgpMmfs

--Some little tidbits:

--Slumbering Weald is a foggy forest dungeon beside the Starting Village
    --Starting Village is Called Wedgehurst
    --A LOT of Pokemon already at the beginning of the game (under NDA, can't talk about them; some are brand new species and some are returning)
    --Hop, your "friendly rival" already has 3 Pokemon during your 2nd encounter with him
    --Someone run into a couple different types of new Pokémon, which they unfortunately can’t talk about.
    --You can also have their nicknames rated, rename them, or even delete moves at the Pokémon Center
    --On the way to Magnolia’s location, someone encounter seven different Pokémon in the wild. They can’t say any of the creatures aside from Yamper
    --Nearest major city: Motostoke (steampunk / industrial city we've been seeing, the first Gym Leader is here; Milo isn't the first Gym Leader apparently)
    --The Wild Area feels large from the very beginning. In this part of Galar, the camera swings behind their character and they can rotate it 360 degrees.
    --Wild Area features Pokémon with max IVs and egg moves demarcated by a yellow aura
    --Can freely access PC in Wild Area
    --Wild Area has its own currency called Watts which you can exchange for "camping gear, items, and ingredients"; some items exclusive to this
    --
    The significant difference with the Wild Area is, if you wander into the wrong part of it, you'll discover that the wild Pokémon can now be drastically overlevelled. It's a series first, and it honestly feels like the bravest thing Game Freak has done for a little while. You could always dip your toe into the odd higher-level route on the other side of a city, say, but never get caught in battle with a level 50, third-stage evolution 'mon with your starter and a level 6 Pidgey. In Sword and Shield it has a striking effect. It reminds me of some of the oldest games in the series where there was a real element of intimidation from some areas. Back then this was because of a fear of the unknown, and a spot of imagination filling in the blanks, but now it's because seeing a whopping great Pokémon five times your level is enough to intrigue and inspire.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also.

--The game has a limited tutorial + you can skip the "how to catch Pokemon" tutorial (no overly long, Sun and Moon-esque tutorial)
    --Chairman Rose is the one who introduces the player to the world of Pokemon, not Professor Magnolia
    --You CAN NOT disable EXP SHARE apparently (it's like Let's Go Pikachu / Eevee), but apparently the game is more challenging than past installments and accounts for the inability to disable EXP SHARE (guess this comes down to opinion really though)
    --Natu and Xatu, Swinub, Piloswine, and Mamoswine have all made it into the game.
    --It's sounding like Champion Leon gets the starter strong against your starter, whereas his brother, Hop, gets the weaker one (Leon getting the strong starter against yours wasn't confirmed though, only slightly hinted at).
    Last edited by The Laughing Man; October 17th, 2019 at 08:46 AM.

All of this is far more promising than the info we got yesterday. Especially the info of the Wild Area.

of the Hundred Beasts The Laughing Man's Avatar
    Watching a fat, egg-shaped woman fall down a waterfall.

This is what EXP SHARE looks like in Sword and Shield

What if I save scum and catch a level 50 Pokemon and steamroll the gyms?
    Ah now that's a thought to entertain

But please gamefreak, pull this off and it will be rainbow and sunshine.

Just as I suspected, Exp gain is based around level. Mon that beat its opponent gains full exp., while all the others get a fraction based around level, and the more leveled up the mon is compared to the opposing one, the less exp. is gained.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    What if I save scum and catch a level 50 Pokemon and steamroll the gyms?
    Ah now that's a thought to entertain

But please gamefreak, pull this off and it will be rainbow and sunshine.
    I remember they mentioned a while back you can fight overleveled pokémon but you can't catch them. I guess the max level you can catch will be restricted by how many badges you have.

According to GF themselves, the Wild Area in SW/SH is approximately the size of two regions from Breath of the Wild.

That is to say, REAL large.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Thats about as useful as catching Grubbin in route 1 but not being able to evolve to its final form until the end of the game.
    Same thing with my bros, Crabrawler, and his ugly papa, Crabominable. I had him from the very beginning of the game, but couldn't evolve him until the end. Didn't really mind, though. With Grubbin, I ended up just not using him since I didn't like Charjabug very much.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Damn. I really hate that you can't turn off the experience share at all. I was hoping it could be turned off in the options of something. I think it's purely a mistake, no matter how it's balanced.

Really hyped that it’s possible to run into OP Pokémon in the wild. It’s one of the design choices from Xenoblade that I enjoy Design-wise since it gates areas in a more natural way that random things like some dude selling candy bars or someone trying to look at footprints.

I do wonder how many of the Pokémon people can’t talk about are legit new or from past gens. It’s promising after yesterday’s terrible video, but I still worry about how common it will be to find new Pokémon.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information