Page 44 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Default Re: Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Sure it is. It's the industry fairy.
    Isn't that technically Santa Claus?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Galarian Wheezing also is Poison/Fairy type, and I'm sorry anything that looks like an industrial factory is not a fairy.
    I don't know, I heard it can do some magic

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Galar Weezing, in addition to being Isambard Kingdom Brunel, takes in pollution and pumps out clean air like that robot from Futurama.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Is that a friggin' two-pronged vuvuzela in that Yell grunt's hands?! Going for Team Skull 2.0 really puts the "I'm the true Big Bad" on Rose's back even more firmly than ever. Marnie herself is likely going to end up being Lillie 2.0 as well in terms of being Gen VIII's poster girl. Bede looks like Ryo from Devilman.

I really like the designs for Galarian Zigzagoon and Linoone and Obstragoon's chuckle-worthy at least. Can't say that I'm hugely jazzed by the typing though after Alolan Ratatta, Meowth, and Muk already received the Dark-type. Galarian Weezing looks like a bong and no one's going to convince me otherwise.
    If this happens and she takes a similar place as the focal point of the story instead of the player, I'd seriously consider not getting the game. I truly hated Lillie because of how much she moved the plot and made me feel like I lacked much agency in Gen VII. Wouldn't want to play through a game like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Galar Weezing, in addition to being Isambard Kingdom Brunel, takes in pollution and pumps out clean air like that robot from Futurama.
    Robot 1-X is the robot from futurama you're referring to.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    If this happens and she takes a similar place as the focal point of the story instead of the player, I'd seriously consider not getting the game. I truly hated Lillie because of how much she moved the plot and made me feel like I lacked much agency in Gen VII. Wouldn't want to play through a game like that again.
    To be honest, the character never moved the plot in the games. If anything, the plot in pokémon games was always about the evil teams. It was the story of their offensive and downfall. You are just that nameless person who happens to cross their path and ruin their plans, but it really isn't your story, you are just a nobody who conversely plays a major role.
    Unsurprisingly, once you beat the evil team and all that is left is fight the league and the champion, you can feel like the game plot already ended and you are playing events completely detached from it instead of being its closing chapter.

The story of the player itself is a non-story and is exactly the same through every game: battles 8 gyms for no reason, battles the league for no reason, battles the champion for no reason. You are basically an arrow: you were shot and you can't help but fly in that specific direction and fall on a specific point without any saying or will of your own.

Alola was the first time when the overall plot of the game somehow converged with the player's character own experience. Through Lillie, Aether, your character played a sort of role in the story besides being the nameless ruiner of evil plans. Rather than both being different "plots" that happen to intersect in specific moments, they actually walked together.
    Now in Galar apparently everything will be tied to the Champion Cup so for the first time you fighting gyms and the league will actually be a part of the game plot and move the story.

For the first time?

Bruh, the whole jazz in gen V is that the “king” of the evil team tells you to get the gym badges and become champion or else he’ll do that unopposed and aim to reshape how the region thinks through fame and having a broken legendary. It also remains the only game where the final encounter wasn’t a champion, but the actual villain of the plot.

Alola suffers from the same issue as other non-gen V games where you beat the evil team while the world (outside of like, 5 people?) gives zero fucks and once you do it you go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    For the first time?

Bruh, the whole jazz in gen V is that the “king” of the evil team tells you to get the gym badges and become champion or else he’ll do that unopposed and aim to reshape how the region thinks through fame and having a broken legendary. It also remains the only game where the final encounter wasn’t a champion, but the actual villain of the plot.

Alola suffers from the same issue as other non-gen V games where you beat the evil team while the world (outside of like, 5 people?) gives zero fucks and once you do it you go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Right, forgot about Unova. I always forget about Gen V plot, probably because I was too focused on the pokémon themselves.

Black and White has the best story out of the franchise though.
    With Sun and Moon last stretch coming a close second
    But then again DP was pretty cool...
    The weakest has got to be XY.

Also didn't the entire region leaders come to stop team plasma?
    So canonically, team plasma is the strongest villain squad

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    The weakest has got to be XY.

That may have been because they cut the story for being too weird

Huh. I wonder if that mysterious hex maniac is a remnant of the scrapped plot or something?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

So Pokémon X and Y were basically supposed to be Dragon Ball... Z?

I have a dream that one day, Game Freak actually takes their time to properly finish a game and not rush production to meet a set release date.

3DS Friendcode: 1547 - 5175 - 1342

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    So Pokémon X and Y were basically supposed to be Dragon Ball... Z?

I have a dream that one day, Game Freak actually takes their time to properly finish a game and not rush production to meet a set release date.
    It was less rushed and more that the plot was too bonkers.

Default Pokemon Sword and Shield - Galexit Edition

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    It was less rushed and more that the plot was too bonkers.
    Regarding the plot changes, yes. But the article also states that there tend to be many major changes late into the development leaving Game Freak with not enough time to fix things, "biting off more than they can chew" etc, which seems to be a recurring theme. Well, more a hypothesis than a statement but still.

I think we all agree the pokémon games could would benefit greatly if they dropped the yearly releases schedule. But I can't see GF doing that unless they manage to hit gold with another franchise (and I don't think Town is gonna be it)...

If Town is not gonna cut it they'll always have Tembo the Badass Elephant to fall back on

Am I the only one who loves X/Y?

You aren't. I loved X/Y, as well. I loved the region, the OST, the addition of character customization, and some of the Pokemon added.

I'm not one to care much about story in games like Pokemon. I never get too invested in that. A game like Persona? Yes. But Pokemon? No. I can't take Pokemon seriously to begin with, TBH. So X/Y's story being weaker doesn't bother me.

XY had several things that Sun and Moon sorely lacked:
    An intuitive, functional online trading and battling system
    A tutorial that wasn't forty minutes long
    Infinitely better pacing
    A new gameplay mechanic that people actually liked
    A much easier and more rewarding way of leveling up Pokemon in the postgame
    Victory Road
    More common shinies!

I'll take those over a good plot any day.

To be fair I remember having lots of fun playing X. Still, the lingering impression it left on me months after I finished playing it was of a weak game. A while ago I decided to replay it for a monotype run and I it was every bit unfun as it could be.

Pros:
    - Good new pokémon roster
    - Pokémon-amie was the best new feature to grace the franchise in ages
    - PSS! You can only properly evaluate how good it was after having to bear through the heinous Festival Plaza.
    - Mega Evolution was a good concept.

Cons:
    - I don't usually care for the plot in Pokémon games as well, but damn... have some standards, GF. Lysandre and Team Flare are unsalvageable.
    - The pokémon fanbase loves the word "souless" and I think if defines Kalos well. Also I wouldn't complain if every memory of Lumiose was erased from my mind.
    - The starters.
    - For all the handholding and linearity complaints Alola gets, when I replayed X I could only think Kalos didn't do any better.
    - Super training! I lost count of how many times I fell asleep doing that thing.
    - Mega evolution was awfully executed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information