Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vic Mignogna Situation

Default The Vic Mignogna Situation

With the recent allegations against Vic Mignogna from many parties, including other performers, there are many strong and mixed feelings about the issue. To keep the politics separate from the show itself, I think we’re all agreed that a new thread is the best option.

What's important is that we don't blame each other for what side we choose to sympathize with, and to do our best to avoid hatred against any of the parties involved. There are many factors about the situation that we don’t know and may never know, and it’s very easy to blame each other when it’s not our battle to fight.

If this discussion is to continue, we need to keep name-calling, chest-thumping fanaticism and aspersions against other posters’ character out of it. If there’s new info to add, try to be specific about its source, whether it’s an article, a personal account, a message from an affected party or from Mignogna. Above all, talk needs to be kept civil on all sides, or this thread will have to be closed, all discussion on the matter banned and those responsible facing infractions and other consequences.

EDIT: And there we have it: all talk of this issue will need to be kept out of this forum for the foreseeable future. To the majority of those who shared their opinions respectfully, thank you.
    Last edited by Shift; April 20th, 2019 at 01:54 PM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: The Vic Mignogna Situation

Regardless of your stance, and ignoring the hate filled comments in that blog, I respect him for acknowledging there was some fault on his side. Even if I don't fully buy into the allegations, I'm sure there was some misconduct along the way. I think people need to grow up and learn to be more forgiving in this day and age. The man has already been punished heavily with life-changing consequences, whether I believe it's fair or not. And yet people are still lashing out and wanting more? The people saying things like that are far worse people than they try to paint him.

Whatever the truth is, the whole situation has been handled so poorly on all fronts. By the VA's threatening to call homeland security on people asking questions, to the fans attacking VA's, and yes, most likely to Vic's own terrible behavior. This could have and should have most likely been handled more privately than it has been. I'm all for shaming sickos for awful behavior but in this case, it was like setting off a nuke to their audience because OF COURSE people would want the truth when someone they idolize is facing such accusations and OF COURSE they want answers when actions are taken without any proof being presented to them. That's a natural reaction, but they have to remember that those answers don't have to be given to them. That's why this should have been handled more in-house and privately rather than with voice actors arguing with twitter. The moment it turned into that, the moment Twitter was weaponized on both fronts in both support and against Vic, was the moment people felt they were owed answers that usually aren't given to the public. It became their fight too when the accusers engaged with them so openly about the accusations. This all should have been handled within the company, by the police, and without Twitter/Youtube/and the fandoms chomping at the bit for answers. It should have all been handled and then hear about the aftermath publicly with recasting and whatnot. Everyone dropped the ball and because of that, this has turned into an absolute mess. Personally, as much as I liked Vic, I'm leaning toward the accusers because I question why they would make those stories up. But, we haven't been given and probably won't ever be shown any of the evidence the companies like Funimation used in their investigation so it's all up to beliefs. If this does turn out to be some sort of push because of personal feelings toward Vic, then that will be a whole other can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I saw that earlier in the day and cringed because no one deserves to be swatted... but now it's gone completely. Was there some sort of mistake?

Edit: Archive.org version

Edit 2: The swatting claim was apparently fake.
    After deleting his tweet, Adam Sheehan made a new tweet explaining that the person who claimed to have been swatted had some issues and he's helping them seek help.

People make mistakes, and normally that would be the end of the story... but the person who falsely claimed to have been swatted is apparently also a Funimation voice actress.

This does not disprove the allegations of misconduct, sexual and otherwise, by fans and coworkers.
    It's possible that Adam Sheehan and Sean Schemmel had no knowledge of this person's plan, and only shared the story out of anger and concern while concealing the person's name to protect them from harassment. Maybe the screenshots were faked, and her decision to take down her Facebook around this time is unrelated.

We desperately need an official statement from Funimation on this and a thorough investigation.

Edit 3: Apparently Sean Schemmel stated in a tweet that someone tried to swat him shortly before privating his Twitter account.

Last edited by RoboBlue; February 18th, 2019 at 11:29 PM.

New article about this entire situation. Also the article got a statement from Vic's ex fiancée.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime...ssm-1832390505

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Monica tells her story about Vic.

https://www.twitter.com/Rialisms/sta...28342475964417

Vic's more professional demeanor implies (to me) that he's lying.
    When someone falsely accuses you of something, it's only natural to get angry about it. When an angry mob spreads a false accusation throughout every corner of your community and enlists the help of an entire ideological group to get you fired from your job and blacklisted from the industry... I couldn't imagine staying cool in that situation, especially if your former coworkers and family were in on it.

It's also very believable that Monica and the others got bad advice on how to deal with this situation from people with a political axe to grind, and didn't really consider the consequences of lashing out on twitter.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; February 20th, 2019 at 02:40 AM.

Duuuude

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Vic's more professional demeanor implies (to me) that he's lying.
    When someone falsely accuses you of something, it's only natural to get angry about it. When an angry mob spreads a false accusation throughout every corner of your community and enlists the help of an entire ideological group to get you fired from your job and blacklisted from the industry... I couldn't imagine staying cool in that situation, especially if your former coworkers and family were in on it.

It's also very believable that Monica and the others got bad advice on how to deal with this situation from people with a political axe to grind, and didn't really consider the consequences of lashing out on twitter.
    When Brett Kavanaugh (very rightfully) showed public anger at the accusations laid on him, he was declared "unfit" to be a Supreme Court Justice, and accused of displaying "toxic masculinity". It doesn't matter what you do. If someone (or some group of people) choose not to like you, they'll find fault in anything you say or do.

I don't think I've ever seen Vic display a hint of anger, so that might not be his style. His calmness in speaking out to me doesn't change my opinion on anything.

I didn't even know this had a thread, wow.

I was always a big fan of Vic and his roles before all this happened, so initially, i was very disappointed to see that he was involved. I remember seeing initial tweets calling him out once the Broly movie had just came out too. And you see more and more accounts, and thinking back at past cons.....suddenly it didn't seem so farfetched to me. What bothered me was apparently Monica and others were getting *threats* over it? At the same time, plenty of VAs have supported the victims's side on this - Erica Lindbeck, Kara Edwards, Chris Sabat, DC Douglas, etc.

I've seen videos and lash-out tweets using the term "SJW" and it reminded me of why i hate that term so much - people are reducing this kind of situation to "oh it's just some SJW agenda", when they are real victims involved.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    When Brett Kavanaugh (very rightfully) showed public anger at the accusations laid on him, he was declared "unfit" to be a Supreme Court Justice, and accused of displaying "toxic masculinity". It doesn't matter what you do. If someone (or some group of people) choose not to like you, they'll find fault in anything you say or do.

I don't think I've ever seen Vic display a hint of anger, so that might not be his style. His calmness in speaking out to me doesn't change my opinion on anything.
    I agree that someone's delivery isn't enough to find them guilty. Everyone reacts to things differently. But Kavanaugh was called unfit because he spouted far-right conspiracy theories about Clinton dark-money and yelled at and demonized Democrats. The bare minimum to be a judge in the smallest court--let alone the highest court in the land--is objectivity. That dude threw that out the window and showed an extremely partisan leaning. It was the anger at the accusation that made him unfit--it was the blatant partisanship that makes him unfit to judge objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post

The Kavanaugh situation was much more politically charged. A lot of people are terrified of a conservative majority on the supreme court, so they were very biased in favor of the accusers, Kavanaugh's testimony ended up being a disaster for multiple reasons and made him look more like a deranged drunk than a sympathetic victim of false allegations, and Trump's decision to interfere in the investigation at the last minute left many feeling (understandably) that justice had not been served.
    That's not really relevant to the Vic discussion though, since Vic's situation is very different from Kavanaugh's.

First, the accusations against Vic are much more commonplace. He's been accused of sexual assault, not gang rape.
    Second, there are many witnesses with stories about him being uncomfortably touchy. There were very few witnesses willing to state anything definitive about Kavanaugh, and one of them wasn't even capable of recalling the incident for medical reasons.
    Third, some of his own coworkers are among the accusers, and I haven't heard a single person who worked with him stand up in his defense. Even the woman he was going to marry believes the many accusers. Kavanaugh's peers and coworkers mostly supported him, and none of his accusers were close friends, family or associates.
    Fourth, the accusations against Vic aren't new and the accusers didn't keep quiet about them for decades. Kavanaugh's accusers seemingly came out of nowhere.

I can understand why you feel that Kavanaugh was mistreated, but that's not a good reason to dismiss the accusations against Vic because his case is nothing like Kavanaugh's.

I fully acknowledge that Vic might not be lying and I could be wrong about him, but I doubt the hate so many of his coworkers feel for him is entirely undeserved.

Edit: Vic's hired a lawyer. He didn't specifically state who he plans to sue, but Funimation is the obvious choice.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; February 20th, 2019 at 08:53 PM.

Alright, this is weird.

Samantha Inoue-Harte, the voice actress who reported a false swatting to make Vic's supporters look worse, was interviewed by Anime News Network and provided a police report that was filed after she'd been exposed and her coworkers blamed her actions on mental issues.
    She stated that she got a call from an unknown number claiming that she'd been swatted and returned home to find her door damaged. She couldn't take photos of that door because it had her home address on it, which is why she used photos of the door damaged two years ago. She then apparently waited 23 hours to file a police report after blaming Vic's supporters in the previously mentioned Facebook post with misleading photos.

Duuuude

The Episode of Sabo trailer just dropped, and Vic is the voice of Adult Sabo. So no worries about redubbing over completed materials or anything like that. For those who enjoy his portrayal, I guess this will be the last hurrah.

Cancelled my Funimation subscription today. After everything that's come out about their voice actors, I can't in good faith continue to support them. From the proven fake swatting story to the reprehensible behavior online (Homeland security? Really?), I've pretty much had it with them. Multiple Twitter-based accusations have been proven false, and people defining a hug or kiss on the cheek as sexual assault are mentally deranged. I can't wait for the inevitable legal action to cripple this corrupt company

Quote Originally Posted by LucciCP9 View Post
    Multiple Twitter-based accusations have been proven false
    Someone lying about lying about Mignogna on the internet does not make other people making independent accusations against him liars. There is also Funimation's own investigation, the details of which are not public. I've not seen anything to suggest that Funi either fabricated their investigation or relied on poor evidence. Considering what you've heard to be inconclusive and activly taking a stance against Funi are different things.

I can't wait for the inevitable legal action to cripple this corrupt company
    What's he taking legal action for? If he goes after people for libel then the burden of proof is on him, he would have to somehow prove in court that he didn't do whatever he was accused of. He could only sue Funi for 'no longer engaging' with him if that somehow broke a stipulation in their original contract.

Cancelled my Funimation subscription today. After everything that's come out about their voice actors, I can't in good faith continue to support them. From the proven fake swatting story to the reprehensible behavior online (Homeland security? Really?), I've pretty much had it with them. Multiple Twitter-based accusations have been proven false, and people defining a hug or kiss on the cheek as sexual assault are mentally deranged. I can't wait for the inevitable legal action to cripple this corrupt company
    First off no one is saying hugging and kissing is sexual harassment. It's when someone does it without the other's consent and based on the gizmodo article, his actions went far beyond just hugging and kissing, his behavior was "no means yes" and "I can't tell if it's harassment unless someone tells me it is". The man's an animal who should have been fired along time ago for his actions.

And don't get your hopes up about an actual court case the lawyer he's retained, Nick Rekieta, is a known drunk who thought putting on blackface for a Halloween party was a good idea. He's also an Alt-right, gamergate, and comicsgate supporter, who has defended Cody Wilson, the 3-D gun manufacturer, who in 2018 was charged for sexually assaulting a minor. But he must have of been innocent since he decided to try and flee the country, until he was caught by the Taiwanese police and extradited back to the US to face trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    And don't get your hopes up about an actual court case the lawyer he's retained, Nick Rekieta, is a known drunk who thought putting on blackface for a Halloween party was a good idea. He's also an Alt-right, gamergate, and comicsgate supporter, who has defended Cody Wilson, the 3-D gun manufacturer, who in 2018 was charged for sexually assaulting a minor. But he must have of been innocent since he decided to try and flee the country, until he was caught by the Taiwanese police and extradited back to the US to face trial.
    Nick Rekieta isn't his lawyer.
    He's just some guy with a law degree who does Youtube videos and set up a Gofundme to pay for Vic's legal fees.

I think this is a pretty clear cut case of someone using their minor celebrity status to creep on under-age girls.

Considering the consistent, and overwhelming amount of testimony not only from victims, but from witnesses and con-staff, I think funimation, and pretty much any con-convention is well within their rights to cease engagement with him.

Now, Japan is beginning to cover this situation.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture.../#.XIcq0_ZFzIW

Closed Thread

Thread Information