Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vic Mignogna Situation

Default Re: The Vic Mignogna Situation

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    The very first thing he did was turn to the Risembool Rangers and ask them to fight for him in the court of public opinion, so maybe his plan all along has been to assemble a huge army of fans and supporters and have them force the industry to take him back once the dust settles.
    His coworkers hate him and his employers have been extremely unsympathetic, so that's probably the only card he can play.

He seems very confident that there isn't any conclusive evidence that can be used against him beyond the testimony of his accusers, so if he's able to win a defamation suit or two there's a decent chance that he'll be able to find new roles working for other companies in a few years (it's very hard to imagine Funimation ever letting him come back).
    Because companies will jump at the chance to hire a guy who at best is repeatedly accused of sex offenses who sued his past employeers over his termination? Like he needs to be Michael Jackson big in his world to make that idea fly in any meaningful way. As it stands now he is an employeers worst nightmare and i would assume that no one would of their own free will court disaster by stretching out a hand to him in any foreseeable future

Think its still worth considering that these kind of things have been consistently said about him for more than a decade, so this coming out in this fashion really shouldn't be surprising. It was merely something that had been festering up, or occurring in the background, for a considerable of time.

He's a DUB VOICE ACTOR. That mostly just uses his own voice and doesn't have a lot of range. He's not irreplaceable.

His most prominent, popular, and long lasting role is Edward in Fullmetal, and that's long since been completely dubbed. Sure he's done like a hundred other minor one off roles, but... they are minor one offs. If he never appeared in another series again, it wouldn't be a huge blow to much anything ongoing or any future prospects.

He's no Scott McNeil or Jim Cummings or Frank Welker or Billy West, guys that provide dozens of voices for whatever show they're doing and a crazy variety of characters and bring in a large chunk of the show's flavor with them, and then get scripts and animation tailored to their comedic timing. He's a guy that matches lip flaps on already existing material.

I'm not saying "Voice acting is easy, anyone can do it". It is a legitimate skill set and takes practice and training. But the particular niche he fills of dubbing IS more readily replaceable than when you create a character from scratch. It has different needs, and the departure of one actor or another isn't as big deal unless its one of the leads.

Whoever takes over his role in whatever still has episodes he was working on, won't be indistinguishable, but when a ninja turtle's voice changes randomly in season 4, you go "oh hey, its a new voice", and you're annoyed for a little while, then you get use to it. Heck, even in live action actors get replaced all the time for a variety of reasons.

If he's well and truly a problem and everyone in the industry accepts that, then... let him go.

Hell, Pokemon changed literally its entire voice cast of 8 years twelve years ago and no one cares now. New Ash has been the voice four years longer than Old Ash.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Because companies will jump at the chance to hire a guy who at best is repeatedly accused of sex offenses who sued his past employeers over his termination? Like he needs to be Michael Jackson big in his world to make that idea fly in any meaningful way. As it stands now he is an employeers worst nightmare and i would assume that no one would of their own free will court disaster by stretching out a hand to him in any foreseeable future
    He definitely thinks he's Michael Jackson big.

I don't personally see him being hired for anything significant in the near future, and he'll have to keep his name out of the credits.
    Last edited by RoboBlue; March 29th, 2019 at 07:38 AM.

As long as they keep him on all future dub version of We Are I'm good. It's so freaking good and reminds me of my early days of falling in love with OP. And when he hits that "Just like I know you'll stand by me!"..

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    As long as they keep him on all future dub version of We Are I'm good. It's so freaking good and reminds me of my early days of falling in love with OP. And when he hits that "Just like I know you'll stand by me!"..
    It's been Japanese only for ages: only the original was ever dubbed.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    It's been Japanese only for ages: only the original was ever dubbed.
    yeah I mean like on any season 1 DVD re release.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    yeah I mean like on any season 1 DVD re release.
    In that case it's doubly safe, since they never change anything on theur DVDs.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

They aren't allowed by contract to remove any of his previous work, regardless of whatever nonsense they buy into. They don't have to make any future acknowledgements of him or work with him, but they have to by law credit him and keep his previous work intact as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    they have to by law credit him and keep his previous work intact as it is.
    Is there a source for this, because it sounds extremely unlikely to me that an actor's contract would have so much control over future releases, particularly for a non-union studio whose work entirely consists of localizing pre-existing content.

Edit: That being said, they probably won't bother re-dubbing anything that's already out there.
    Last edited by LostTimeLord; March 29th, 2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    Is there a source for this, because it sounds extremely unlikely to me that an actor's contract would have so much control over future releases, particularly for a non-union studio whose work entirely consists of localizing pre-existing content.

Edit: That being said, they probably won't bother re-dubbing anything that's already out there.
    I think there is something that states someone must be credited for their work, but I don't know what Chopperrules is talking about when he says they can't remove/redub his voice on a future release. For example, if Broly appears in DB Super when it comes back in July, it would 100% be up to FUNi if they wanted to recast him, there is no law stating he gets to stay in that role.
    Happy 20th anniversary, One Piece anime!

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post

Yes they have the option to redub the property. But why would they do that just because of "allegations"? Why would they waste so much money just to please the raging army of KickVicers? That makes no sense in the first place.

What I was saying is that an actor's already credited work is legally bound. So yes they can redub if they wanted to waste time and money. But any of the work they've released in the past with his name in the credits are legally bound to be left alone. Unless they redub/rerelease, they can't hide his name in past works or try to erase him from their history.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Letís all remember that his current mega fanbase largely consists of bad faith Gamergaters, Comicsgaters and other assorted deplorables who found a new fandom to terrorize with their culture war BS.
    If you want to paint one side like that, the opposite side consists of quite the assortment of scumbags who have had a hand in quite the deplorable acts themselves. All you need to do is look at Twitter and the internet, because that is apparently the word people take these days to judge a person's character.

If you want to paint one side like that, the opposite side consists of quite the assortment of scumbags who have had a hand in quite the deplorable acts themselves. All you need to do is look at Twitter and the internet, because that is apparently the word people take these days to judge a person's character.
    One person making a mistake about being SWATed is hardly an "assortment of scumbags who have had a hand in quite the deplorable acts themselves" nor does that apply to the people who've come forward to tell the public what type of person Vic really is. Also if I'm not mistaken Sean Schemmel received a SWAT threat which to me sounds pretty deplorable.

Also a lot of the #IStandwithVic crowd on twitter routinely tweet at Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi with stuff like "I hope you get sued to oblivion" or "I hope you lose your job" and possibly worse. Also you can tell a lot from a person from their own twitter activity when they spend a good chunk of their time harassing those that came forward, who they follow (like people associated with Gamergate, Comicsgate, the alt-right, Jordan Peterson, Stefan Molyneux, Dave Rubin, Ben Shapiro, etc.), and in their own profile tag themselves as being apart of Gamergate or Comicsgate, identify as MGTOWs, dog whistle using alt-right emojis in their names (such as the frog or milk emojis) or even in their twitter handles (one user had Deus Vult in their name or even incorporate Gab into it, which is basically alt-right twitter).

So there is a lot of evidence that does paint the #IStandwithVic side as a group of neo-reactionaries, who might not even be fans of Vic to begin with, but want an excuse to push their imaginary "War on Men" agenda.

I think we should be able to agree that a few assholes on twitter shouldn't invalidate an entire movement by association.

Let's try to stick to the relevant facts and avoid hating on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    One person making a mistake about being SWATed is hardly an "assortment of scumbags who have had a hand in quite the deplorable acts themselves" nor does that apply to the people who've come forward to tell the public what type of person Vic really is. Also if I'm not mistaken Sean Schemmel received a SWAT threat which to me sounds pretty deplorable.
    I don't understand why you and so many others choose to ignore so many of the hateful BS being spewed by the KickVic side just because it doesn't fit the narrative you believe in. That's the hypocrisy I'm referring to. Yes there has been BS on the IStandWithVic side as well, but to sit here and claim there's only been "one incident" in the wrong on the other side is ignoring what is clearly out there on various VA's Twitter pages.

Also:

"the people who've come forward to tell the public what type of person Vic really is"

That's the problem. You people blindly believe in these VAs coming forward, despite all of these VAs showcasing the same type of behavior themselves and no one calling them out on it. Especially when these same VAs in general have tweets going back weeks before this mess started and actual videos showing there was no ill will between them and Vic, and now suddenly Vic is a monster because everyone else says so.

"So there is a lot of evidence that does paint the #IStandwithVic side as a group of neo-reactionaries, who might not even be fans of Vic to begin with, but want an excuse to push their imaginary "War on Men" agenda."

Right so a handful of assholes on Twitter suddenly represents anyone who disagrees with the narrative painted against a person.

Yes they have the option to redub the property. But why would they do that just because of "allegations"? Why would they waste so much money just to please the raging army of KickVicers? That makes no sense in the first place.

What I was saying is that an actor's already credited work is legally bound. So yes they can redub if they wanted to waste time and money. But any of the work they've released in the past with his name in the credits are legally bound to be left alone. Unless they redub/rerelease, they can't hide his name in past works or try to erase him from their history.
    You're confusing people by making it seem like they're legally obligated to keep his old work. When its just a practical matter of redubbing not being worth the time and expense.

No one is talking about just blanking his old credits.

You people blindly believe in these VAs coming forward, despite all of these VAs showcasing the same type of behavior themselves and no one calling them out on it. Especially when these same VAs in general have tweets going back weeks before this mess started and actual videos showing there was no ill will between them and Vic, and now suddenly Vic is a monster because everyone else says so.
    Generally people don't come forward at all, because they fear they won't be believed, or that things will just be made worse, and because its shameful and it hurts. And because after they come forward, they then get harassed MORE by fans of the subject and their lives become worse for telling about it. They get sent death threats and shit. As a result sexual assault related stuff rarely gets reported, only like 30-35% get reported. There is no glory in it, and only in crazy cases is there money. When it DOES come up, yes, you should generally give the victim the benefit of the doubt. Every now and then there's a crazy or a fame seeker, but the vast, vast majority of the time, the victim is telling the truth.

One victim you can maybe doubt and write off as a crazy, especially if its against someone with a sterling reputation like say, the one isolated random accusation against George Takei a while back. But you can't back off from the dozens of women that came out against Bill Cosby, however nice he may have seemed.

Once its dozens of victims. and coworkers, and people that have been around the guy saying it goes back for years? Yeah, believe the large group coming forward. They'll keep quiet before it comes out to not cause a fuss, or because someone is more famous/rich/higher position than them, or just not know it was as common an occurrence as it was, but once its out of the bottle and they see the behavior is worse and more widespread than they thought? Good on them for speaking up.

WHY ON EARTH would there be some random conspiracy against Vic Mignona of all people? If legitimate sexual abuse victims coming forward to try and stop an ill suited supreme court nominee can't make a difference, (and the republicans believed those stories, they just didn't care) why orchestrate a conspiracy against a minor C list voice actor? What's the point?
    Last edited by Robby; March 29th, 2019 at 11:03 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Adding to this conversation, its not uncommon for people to try and cover up anything happening to them, especially if its between a co-worker, by playing it off or acting in public as if nothing happened. Thats how a lot of sexual harassment cases in the work place usually end up.

They aren't allowed by contract to remove any of his previous work, regardless of whatever nonsense they buy into. They don't have to make any future acknowledgements of him or work with him, but they have to by law credit him and keep his previous work intact as it is.
    None of the English singers were ever actually listed in the credits.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    You're confusing people by making it seem like they're legally obligated to keep his old work. When its just a practical matter.

No one is talking about just blanking his credits.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Generally people don't come forward at all, because they fear they won't be believed, or that things will just be made worse, and because its shameful and it hurts. And because after they come forward, they then get harassed MORE by fans of the subjext. Sent death threats and shit. Sexual assault related stuff rarely gets reported. There is no glory in it, and only in crazy cases is there money. When it DOES come up, yes, you should generally give the victim the benefit of the doubt. Every now and then there's a crazy or a fame seeker, but the vast, vast majority of the time, the victim is telling the truth.

One victim you can maybe doubt and write off as a crazy, especially if its against someone with a sterling reputation like say, the one isolated random accusation against George Takei a while back. But you can't back off from the dozens of women that came out against Bill Cosby, however nice he may have seemed.

Once its dozens of victims. and coworkers, and people that have been around the guy saying it goes back for years? Yeah, believe the large group coming forward. They'll keep quiet before it comes out to not cause a fuss, or know it was a big deal, but once its out of the bottle and they see the behavior is worse and more widespread than they thought? Good on them for speaking up.

WHY ON EARTH would there be some random conspiracy against Vic Mignona of all people? If legitimate sexual abuse victims coming forward to try and stop an ill suited supreme court nominee can't make a difference, (and the republicans believed those stories, they just didn't care) why orchestrate a conspiracy against a minor C list voice actor? What's the point?
    I wish there was a way to like your posts, because this one and previous one you posted have really hit the nail right on head with those posts and articulated it in a way I don't think I could.

This next comment isn't aimed at you, but to the IStandwithVic group who like to say "but the VAs who've came forward are acting the just as bad too!". First off these VAs that they're claiming are acting unprofessional and just as bad, are being continuously harassed and subjected to misogynistic behavior for coming forward and are rightfully letting off some steam at these people, who are likely telling them "why couldn't you just stay quiet about it". Also they can't claim that these individuals who are doing it don't represent them, they do and the IStandwithVic hashtag need to do serious disavowing like using their social media accounts to block or mute those who are harassing and making death threats against these VA and not just some limp wristed "there just random people they don't represent us as a whole" remark. As to the claim they were acting friendly to him until recently, they're confusing professionalism (which was pointed out in the Gizmodo article) for friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Once its dozens of victims. and coworkers, and people that have been around the guy saying it goes back for years? Yeah, believe the large group coming forward. They'll keep quiet before it comes out to not cause a fuss, or because someone is more famous/rich/higher position than them, or just not know it was as common an occurrence as it was, but once its out of the bottle and they see the behavior is worse and more widespread than they thought? Good on them for speaking up.

WHY ON EARTH would there be some random conspiracy against Vic Mignona of all people? If legitimate sexual abuse victims coming forward totry and stop an ill suited supreme court nominee can't make a difference, (and the republicans believed those stories, they just didn't care) why orchestrate a conspiracy against a minor C list voice actor? What's the point?
    That's the thing about this that people seem to keep regurgitating. Why would you assume there WOULDN'T be people out to drag him down? If you search around there have been clear cases of some of his coworkers not liking him for whatever reason shown through one or two videos I've seen showcasing certain FUNi VAs pulling some pretty dirty, disrespectful stuff, so one or two random cases pop up on the internet and suddenly everyone and their mom all has a story.

Sorry but I don't buy into the "believe all victims just because they supposedly put themselves at risk by doing so" which is really not true anyway for many of the anonymous cases. As for the VAs, I judge people based off of actions, not words. In this situation Vic has been the quiet one. Vic has been the respectable party in spite of what these allegations have done to his career and his life. The opposite party has done nothing but make asses of themselves over and over and over again, and also attack fans and spout some really hateful nonsense. It's all out there on various VAs' twitter pages.

"First off these VAs that they're claiming are acting unprofessional and just as bad, are being continuously harassed and subjected to misogynistic behavior for coming forward and are rightfully letting off some steam at these people, who are likely telling them "why couldn't you just stay quiet about it".
    There's no excuse for this unprofessional behavior even if some of the fans have gotten out of hand. By stooping to the same level they ARE just as bad, and in many cases some of the comments returned to these people are quite unbecoming of people that are supposed to be leaders in the anime community. If it were one or two occasions it could be handwaved as emotional reactions, but some of these VAs have gone back and forth with internet trolls for days and days.

Also to those talking about "acting friendly in public to hide what's going on", I'm sorry, but one does NOT respond to a tweet with both supposed victim and assaulted in a picture together smiling with a kissing emoji. Only days before these allegations started up.

And finally, these allegations are just that: allegations. And the allegations all amount to unwanted touching of hair (oddly all VAs have almost the exact same story one after another in their descriptions that is eye-raising in of itself) or are just full of holes and inconsistent, going off of memory from 10 years ago when it's proven old memories aren't reliable in cases like this. Even if a person's behavior is perceived by the general public as "weird", no official crimes have been brought against the man, and he has taken legal action precisely because of the smear campaign that has dragged his name through the mud with nothing but "he-said, she-said" nonsense with no credibility other than "You have to believe because all these people say it's true." Especially when some of the VAs mouthing off on Twitter have similar allegations against them that have been conveniently swept under the rug, at least from what I've been hearing.

Closed Thread

Thread Information