+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ghostbusters(2020)

Default Re: Ghostbusters(2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
    That' what fans always wanted, but for some reason in the terrible sequel they paired her up with Louis.
    Fans wanted that because the *show* heavily played up her and Egon. It wasn't so much a thing in the actual first movie.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Wasn't Egon pretty asexual? Didn't feel a love vibe there.

Not that i cared for the Moranis pair up but atleast we know he liked women

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Fans wanted that because the *show* heavily played up her and Egon. It wasn't so much a thing in the actual first movie.
    As a guy who didn't grow up with Ghostbusters and doesn't feel particularly strong about it one way or the other, I distinctly recall Janine having a thing for Egon in the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    As a guy who didn't grow up with Ghostbusters and doesn't feel particularly strong about it one way or the other, I distinctly recall Janine having a thing for Egon in the first movie.
    True but it was played out in kind of an Urkel is hot for Laura type of way.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Uhhhh no.

The controversy started because of the shitty trailer that showed the godawful "comedy" of the movie that had the Ghost Busters name on it but was nothing like it beyond references. That's ultimately what caused the backlash. A beloved movie series like Ghost Busters to be reduced a godawful "comedy" featuring Melissa Mccarthy(a female Adam Sandler.....who unlike Adam was never featured in a good movie) with a progressive-tune that had no reason to exist aside from "FEMALE CAST" is why most people hated the concept of it.

People are really good at rewriting history, I will admit that much. Like how quickly people are pointing out the "harassment" but remember when AngryVideoGameNerd made a perfectly reasonable video for WHY he wouldn't watch the 2016 film which lead to him and his wife being ACTUALLY harrassed by the mob? But I guess that doesn't matter because they aren't hollywood people who have a fake-progressive views to preach.

Both sides have some rotten apples so lets not pretend to be fifth-graders here and clearly ignore one-side while shifting the blame to another.

It blows my mind when people want to *pretend* that they even remotely understand what caused the backlash even though they clearly haven't put more than 2 seconds into understanding the actual arguments and points.

Ghost Busters 2016 was shit. The only reason why people even pretend to give some lukewarm "opinion" is because they just don't want to admit that the majority of the people, who had a perfectly reasonable argument, found the movie to be forgettable at best. Remove the female-cast bullshit and the movie would stand toe-to-toe with Adam Sandler's worst movies.
    Sure there were other more valid reasons for disliking the trailers/movie, too, I was just saying that a fair percentage of people who were outraged long before the film even came out were pissed off because they were perceiving a SJW feminist agenda or something. As always, those were at least the ones who were bitching about the film the loudest. That other people actually had good reasons for disliking the film doesn't negate that. And I had no idea the AVGN and his wife were being harassed, that does suck. It doesn't mean that what happened to one of the actresses of the film wasn't actually harassment either though.

Yeah sort of but not in any way that was really significant (at least not compared to the show.) It was sort of there as a gag, but if they couldn't even properly follow up on Venkman and Dana who had a major subplot, then the little side semi-joke definitely wasn't going anywhere.

Second movie just reset literally everything, so... (And there were ways they could have done it without the hard reset... and had they just done soething as simple as Dana's kid being Venkman's, that would have pushed the story along and gave a lot more character stuff to work with.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Melissa Mccarthy(a female Adam Sandler.....who unlike Adam was never featured in a good movie)
    None of Adam Sandler's movies are good though. Dude's filmography is a walking punchline the only reason why anyone remembers Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer & The Waterboy is for memes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    None of Adam Sandler's movies are good though. Dude's filmography is a walking punchline.
    Well hey now, let's see how Uncut Gems turns out.

Well hey now, let's see how Uncut Gems turns out.
    It'll probably be like Punch Drunk Love a movie where Sandler is playing against type that's largely forgotten cause the seagulls can't laugh at it.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

None of Adam Sandler's movies are good though. Dude's filmography is a walking punchline the only reason why anyone remembers Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer & The Waterboy is for memes.
    He's great in Hotel Transylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    He's great in Hotel Transylvania.
    I mean to be fair that's animated so he can get away with playing an exaggerated cartoony character.

Sandler has been in like 70 movies. I'm not a fan but he is okay in movies he didn't write or produce, and when he's just an actor and not THE star.

He was also decent on SNL but that was before we knew that was his entire shtick.

The Waterboy still holds up for me and I can hardly think of anything I don't like about it. Love all of the cast, most of the jokes, and all of the football stuff is great. I can live without seeing any other Sandler film, but I can watch Waterboy once every other month and still laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I didn't watch the show. I got that from watching the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Wasn't Egon pretty asexual? Didn't feel a love vibe there.

Not that i cared for the Moranis pair up but atleast we know he liked women
    Asexual people can fall in love. :p

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Sure there were other more valid reasons for disliking the trailers/movie, too, I was just saying that a fair percentage of people who were outraged long before the film even came out were pissed off because they were perceiving a SJW feminist agenda or something. As always, those were at least the ones who were bitching about the film the loudest. That other people actually had good reasons for disliking the film doesn't negate that. And I had no idea the AVGN and his wife were being harassed, that does suck. It doesn't mean that what happened to one of the actresses of the film wasn't actually harassment either though.
    All those things happened. Except the harrassment against the big hollywood actors, for progressive-movies only, get more attention than other people. AVGN situation was primarily the result of online SJW having heart-attacks over the fact that some people actually had two brain-cells rubbed together to question the direction, concept and the idea of 2016 movie.

And I disliked the SJW bs vibes from the day-one and that is *exactly* how the movie ended up being. It wasn't a passion or a genuine work that the director wanted to create. It was simply taking a popular classic movie and adding progressive-flavour to it. That was the entire concept of it. And it failed completely. People didn't hate it because there was a reboot/remake/sequel of Ghostbusters. People hated the movie because everything they saw from the trailer was godawful.

This isn't a case of people being nostalgic and just hating the new film because they hold the original in high regard like say Blade Runner 2049. The entire reception of 2016 film was the result of actual incompetence of its cast, director, and the direction. It bombed commercially and received extremely mediocre and passive reviews.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Reign over me is still better than anything i have ever seen of Melissa.

Adam comedy movies are hit-and-miss. His serious movies are always his best and highlight of his acting skills when he actually tries and is working with a good director.

Melissa is a shitty actress who is *even* somewhat relevant in the industry because she is a female and you can't really call a female actress shitty in modern times without having basement dwellers call you sexist and take the topic into directions that has about as much relevancy as Melissa in Hollywood.

And it failed completely. People didn't hate it because there was a reboot/remake/sequel of Ghostbusters.
    First I've heard of this typically when you make a sequel, remake, reboot, or just even an adaptation of something even if it's never been adaptated into a particular medium. 9 times out of 10 it's going to get criticism either because of the "whole hollywood never does anything original" or "it's going to tarnish the original work" arguments.

And I know for a fact that's one of the myriad of reasons people weren't fond of the 2016 movie.

Melissa is a shitty actress who is *even* somewhat relevant in the industry because she is a female and you can't really call a female actress shitty in modern times without having basement dwellers call you sexist and take the topic into directions that has about as much relevancy as Melissa in Hollywood.
    Actually I think the reason no one calls her shitty is because even if the overall quality of her films isn't consistent she's not anywhere close to being objectively awful either in front of a camera or away from her it. I mean people have called Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham shitty for those exact reasons.

Also I think you have it backwards the people who would criticize a female performer based exclusively on her gender would be the basement dwellers not the people calling them out for doing that.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; December 14th, 2019 at 05:19 PM.

I guess this not getting bumped for almost two years really shows how excited everyone is for this, huh?

Anyway, 3 days later here's a trailer.

It's hard to feel hype for any film lately thanks to scheduling shenanigans and one that has been pushed back as much as Afterlife has been is even worse off.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I'm still looking forward to it, it looks like a good movie, but I don't watch things in the cinema anymore (haven't for years) so it's hard to get excited for a film I probably won't see for at least another year or two.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information