+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw-man

Default Re: Chainsaw-man

I also don't like any of the characters, but I do enjoy their antics, in a "It's always sunny"/Seinfield kinda way.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Maybe because no character is fundamentaly good or evil like Tanjirou in Kimetsu. Denji is very simple both in mentality and what he desires
    I don't need character to be fundamentally good or bad. Most characters I like are grey. I just find him annoying. And too many other characters don't emote or are just obnoxious. Too many cons with little to no pros with each character.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    Btw, since Chainsaw-man managed to get traction, I will take the chance to recommend Fire Punch again, Fujimoto's already finished serialization. It has everything you love about Chainsaw-man with the bonus of being in a seinen magazine so Fujimoto can take things even further.
    I'll second that, Fire Punch is a great read. I slightly prefer Chainsaw, though, because its characters are more likeable somehow and absurd humor such as the training chapter is more present.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Yeah, after I wrote that I realized the humor part is not entirely present in Fire Punch as it is pretty much condensed in one character (Togata). But, well, Togata manages to do such a great job on that front alone that is enough (KICK THE BABY!)

Except that fire punch lacked a ton of the charm that chainsaw-man has, and worked really, really hard to be edgy. I think this series suffers from that too but it's constrained in its shock value, which I think is a good shackle for the author.

Fire Punch was like a manga adaptation of the Tree of Life.

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    worked really, really hard to be edgy. I think this series suffers from that too but it's constrained in its shock value, which I think is a good shackle for the author.
    That's a feeling I had on the first couple chapters, that he was trying a bit too hard to impress us with how far he could go, but then that impression quickly faded, I don't think it lasted even to the end of the first volume.
    Maybe he started handling it better, but I think it's simply because the levels of gore and violence started looking like the natural levels you would expect from a world like that. After some point I started feeling that rather than forcing a shock value, he was just showing a shocking reality and it requires a few chapters for the reader to adjust.

Fire Punch I gave up almost instantly cause of the incest angle.

I like how everything in this series is to the point. Nothing is dragged out but you don't feel like it is rushed either. You know just enough while not really knowing anything making you really anticipate that next chapter. The author also really understands show don't tell where you don't have crazy pointless speeches trying to be this epic drama.

There is no character as amazing as Togata in Chainsaw-man. Not even close.

For a second I thought that Himeno could become as great as her but that hope was shortlived.

Chainsaw-man is Togata turned into a manga. So while no character there is as good as her, everything there shares her charm.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    That's a feeling I had on the first couple chapters, that he was trying a bit too hard to impress us with how far he could go, but then that impression quickly faded, I don't think it lasted even to the end of the first volume.
    Maybe he started handling it better, but I think it's simply because the levels of gore and violence started looking like the natural levels you would expect from a world like that. After some point I started feeling that rather than forcing a shock value, he was just showing a shocking reality and it requires a few chapters for the reader to adjust.
    It's possible it got better towards the end but I gave up on it around the time
    Spoiler:
    they got to the city and the camera girl showed up
    . The feeling never really abated for me up til that point and I found I was more annoyed than anything else reading it.

Spoiler:
    Still best Shoujo in Jump.

Won't fall for anybody else, famous last words
    https://readms.net/r/csm/40/6224/1

Waiting for it to go horribly wrong

Author-san has a knack for taking unexpected turns. After the training arc I thought we would get to serious gritty stuff for a while, yet it was all over in a flash and now the story is turning into some RomCom. What next ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

I like people who like me too.

I just had a look to the author comments. Delicious in Dungeon is the English name of Dungeon Meshi isn't it ?
    The author has good taste :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I'm having a hard time enjoying this series. I literally only started it cause people here seemed to love it and I was super bored at work. So far I don't like any of the characters.
    How far did you make it into the manga?
    Personally, as soon as I read Aki's flashback chapter, ch.13, I was hooked.
    The manga is after all, in its first stages, thus main characters are still developing and new ones keep showing up. I can't guarantee you'll like it though, as in my humble opinion, a protagonist is a key factor in liking a story, and if they can't grow on me I'll lose interest quickly, but maybe that's just me. Also, even though at the first glance Denji comes off as a rude, angry, and quite crazy dude, he still feels innocent somehow, especially in the latest chapter when he donated some of his hard-earned money from his mini purse to charity, maybe the contrast is what makes him interesting as a protagonist in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    How far did you make it into the manga?
    Personally, as soon as I read Aki's flashback chapter, ch.13, I was hooked.
    The manga is after all, in its first stages, thus main characters are still developing and new ones keep showing up. I can't guarantee you'll like it though, as in my humble opinion, a protagonist is a key factor in liking a story, and if they can't grow on me I'll lose interest quickly, but maybe that's just me. Also, even though at the first glance Denji comes off as a rude, angry, and quite crazy dude, he still feels innocent somehow, especially in the latest chapter when he donated some of his hard-earned money from his mini purse to charity, maybe the contrast is what makes him interesting as a protagonist in my opinion.
    I'm still current with it. I just find him annoying. For me each chapter feels like a vignette of random dialogue and interactions. There's no real flow to me. I'll stick with it a little longer but I'll probably drop it.

Discovered Stowaway juiceduphody3315's Avatar

Does feel like the author wants to hurry up to a specific point in the story. Everything building up too aforementioned is necessary but not where he wants to be. The stage is being set at a fast pace hurting it at the moment. I liked Samurai and Snake girl as enemies as their parts are relevant were just defeated quite quick and easy. But also gave us more build up to what else is out there in the world, what is the gun devil, Makimas powers and agenda, the importance of Chainsaw, what other type of savage devils and devilmen that are out there and what is in store for Aki which im quite interested in.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information