+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Default Re: She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Nine and a half episodes in and I don't think this show's for me.
    There are lots of things I like (diverse cast, Adora/Catra, forming the rebellion), but I'm not loving the characters except Catra and the scorpion lady. And, I straight up dislike Glimmer. She complains about her mom but acts like a brat. Everyone else varies from okay to somewhat interesting. I miss that old forest lady, she was great.

Not quite sure how to explain it but the way cartoons try to be mature, but still be really goofy throws me off if not done "right". The show doesn't do it right. That and everyone competing to be Snark MVP. The main three has this thing where either they're level-headed, snarky, or stupid. They're almost interchangeable. It's not their personalities shining through, its the need for whoever's on screen to land a joke. For example, let Adora's naive steer her jokes. Let Glimmer be the general snarky one, and make Bow the general comic relief. Not saying to pigeon hold these characters, but give them something that's their own.

Other than that, like the show. But, Hordac isn't scary at all. The Horde, in general, is underwhelming except for their two all-stars. Maybe its the age demographic. I expected something for preteens but this seems like something for a younger audience.

NNID: jervinnectar

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    Thinking about it a bit more, was anyone (here) really surprised that

Hidden:
    Catra subverted the whole 'rivals turned allies' trope in episode 11 given that way back in episode 1 she pretty much bluntly stated to Adora that 'yeah I knew the Horde fed us a bunch of propaganda but who gives a shit we can rule these suckers!!!'

Adora is great and Bow doesn't lag behind btw but yeah I agree the villains are more interesting to watch. Scorpia is best princess.

Also is it controversial to say that this is in the top... 5 Netflix original animated series? (if Dreamworks productions count as them)
    You also forgot that Dreamworks also have their other shows on streaming sites like Amazon Prime. So in total, they are working on 30 to 40 shows now. (Some may be unannounced.) I like the new She-Ra. Well, I haven't seen it yet. But I do love Catra cause she's a furry. :3
    I'm NOT a doggy. I am a creature from another world.

Finished this recently. 'Twas pretty good, Catra was definetely the highlight, as she ended up the most fleshed out and interesting character. Overall, I wish there had been a bit more context -like, what does the Horde actually want? - and I hope that they get a bigger budget for the next seasons. Etheria is the most sparsely populated planet I've eve seen, and for a group called The Horde, it seems to consist of maybe 20 people.
    Spoiler:
    When Catra was promoted at the end my reaction was "Wait, really? Theres no military hierarchy between her and Second In Command?"

Official birth dates for your trivia needs.
    Last edited by y2kyle89; January 2nd, 2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: I share a birthday with Catra. That's weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Entrapta is an Aquarius. Makes sense.

Glimmer and I are birthday buds...sweet~

I almost have a birthday with Sea Hawk. Not sure how to feel about that.

Even less sure how to feel about their world having our calendar and naming conventions. (Or maybe they don't, there's 5 months not accounted for at all.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The closer I get is Scorpia by a 10 days margin, but it seems my brother has the same as Adora.

Finished the new season. Only 7 episodes this time around, so I guess we are doing this like Voltron.

Spoiler:
    But only one episode with Sea Falcon, what the hell?

Catra remains by far best character. The writers had a lot more fun overall in this season, especially the planning episode.

Spoiler:
    They also seem to have embraced the gay with Scorpina. Easily tied for second best character along with Entrapta. Just overall the villains are all way more fun than the heroes.

And holy crap that ending. WTF are they going to do? Season 3 when?
    Last edited by Robby; April 28th, 2019 at 10:26 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Skimmed/scanned the 2nd season, mostly watching The Horde scenes. It was okay, still too kiddy for me.

Spoiler:
    Catra, Scorpina, and Entrapta are the best, as usual. Nice seeing Hordak interacting with Entrapta. Love finally meeting Bow's parents. No subtlety there, thank you show. If you're gonna have gay representation, show it.

Not sure what's happening with Shadow Weaver. I want to like her but I don't care. Maybe I should'nt have skimmed through her backstory lol. And, no crazy old forest woman. Unless I skipped her cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Catra remains by far best character. The writers had a lot more fun overall in this season, especially the planning episode.

Spoiler:
    They also seem to have embraced the gay with Scorpina. Easily tied for second best character

And holy crap that ending. WTF are they going to do? Season 3 when?
    Spoiler:
    Entrapta or Scorpina will probably save her. But, that does raise the question if Catra will eventually join the rebellion. Let's be real, Catra and Entrapta's the only useful people in The Horde. If they go, Hordak's screwed.

Spoiler:
    Hordak's warp machine opens so many possibilities. I know they aren't planning to brin He-Man, but I would love one episode where they somehow bring Skeletor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nectar View Post
    Spoiler:
    No subtlety there, thank you show. If you're gonna have gay representation, show it.
    Spoiler:
    Isn't the first time. See Netossa and Spinnerella. And I'm pretty sure Swiftwind as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Spoiler:
    Hordak's warp machine opens so many possibilities. I know they aren't planning to brin He-Man, but I would love one episode where they somehow bring Skeletor.

Spoiler:
    Isn't the first time. See Netossa and Spinnerella. And I'm pretty sure Swiftwind as well.
    Spoiler:
    Their relationship was said on screen? Oh. Must've missed it. Good on you show.

2 questions from someone who thought the prior season was ok, but haven't seen this one:

Do we ever get to know what the horde wants, or why?

And have they gotten a budget that allows them to show more than a half- dozen characters at a time? In season 1 it was less of a Horde and more of a gang

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    2 questions from someone who thought the prior season was ok, but haven't seen this one:

Do we ever get to know what the horde wants, or why?

And have they gotten a budget that allows them to show more than a half- dozen characters at a time? In season 1 it was less of a Horde and more of a gang
    Yes to the first question and No to the second.

Once again Entrapta, Catra, and Scorpia are the stars of the show.
    I'm thorn between AdoraxCatra and ScorpiaxCatra.

I can't stand Catra...Her and Frosta are probably my least favorite.

I'm not fully done. I think I paused right before episode 5 maybe 4.

Oh? So I am not the only one who thinks Catra isn't that great.

Also, I found it really cute the reference of the old show during Bow's imagination in episode 4.

Catra's a lot less fun when she's not being an underdog, and it doesn't help that the show's treating her sexual tension with Adora like old news. She's more interesting later on though!

Loved that Frosta went full D&D by giving herself an edgy backstory and +3 sword in that episode.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information