+ Reply to Thread
Page 586 of 593 FirstFirst ... 86 486 536 576 584 585 586 587 588 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,720 of 11853

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

I had to watch that for a film class. Wasn't great. But I didn't like the Departed much either.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    I had to watch that for a film class. Wasn't great. But I didn't like the Departed much either.
    That's pretty much sacrilege where I'm from...... in Massachusetts I mean

A bit late, but finally saw Far From Home and it was what I was expecting: fun, goofy, silly ... and occasionally there's a "with power comes responsibility" sprinkled here and there. And I wanted more of the latter. Still does not compare to the original Spidey 2. And I knew the Mysterio twist was coming, but I was still utterly gobsmacked by how silly it was. I'd forgotten. I wanted a genuine friendship, and a genuine betrayal (and reluctance on Mysterio's part). And it was true for Peter, but not for the other guy. And there it lost me, due to the goofiness.

And did not care for the mid-credits reveal. That's a big thing. And I want to see what happens after it, that very second. But, in all likelihood, the next film will likely just take place a few weeks or months later.

And my favorite part was Spidey swinging through Manhattan ...

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by baby-boo View Post
    A bit late, but finally saw Far From Home and it was what I was expecting: fun, goofy, silly ... and occasionally there's a "with power comes responsibility" sprinkled here and there. And I wanted more of the latter. Still does not compare to the original Spidey 2. And I knew the Mysterio twist was coming, but I was still utterly gobsmacked by how silly it was. I'd forgotten. I wanted a genuine friendship, and a genuine betrayal (and reluctance on Mysterio's part). And it was true for Peter, but not for the other guy. And there it lost me, due to the goofiness.

And did not care for the mid-credits reveal. That's a big thing. And I want to see what happens after it, that very second. But, in all likelihood, the next film will likely just take place a few weeks or months later.

And my favorite part was Spidey swinging through Manhattan ...
    Prior to the deal fizzling out, it actually worked out perfectly with the timing. Black Widow and the Eternals both seem to be prequel films so we wouldn't have to see the advance of time in the MCU and how it affects everyone else, so that would be the perfect excuse for why the world being abuzz with the news about Spider-Man isn't affecting anything.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Mysterio being a prima donna director faking being a superhero is great and is honestly probably the best way to adapt him.

On the reddit Discord, we were asked to list our top movies during the Summer and I struggled. Couple comic book movies in there and The Departed

25. Spider Man 2 24. Winter Soldier 23. Fight Club 22. Shutter Island 21. Departed

20. Slumdog Millionaire 19. Stranger than Fiction 18. Hateful Eight 17. Reservoir Dogs 16. Phonebooth

15. Law Abiding Citizen 14. Usual suspects 13. Whiplash 12. District 9 11. Eagle Eye

10 Best Man
    9 A Time To Kill
    8 Civil War
    7 Lion King
    6 Dark Knight
    5 Inception
    4 Beautiful mind
    3 V for Vendetta
    2 Inside Man
    1 The Wood

Just recently rewatched Into the Spider Verse. I'd forgotten how perfect the scene is when Miles starts swinging. Perfectly capture the feeling of being a Spiderman. I haven't gotten that since Spidey 2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Mysterio being a prima donna director faking being a superhero is great and is honestly probably the best way to adapt him.
    Suuuure ... for an episode in a cartoon. For a main villain in the second movie where most of the time is wasted on fake battles that are neither interesting nor evolve the character ... ugh.

If they try and make a villain out of the current version of Flash Thompson ... oh no, that guy like's a sitcom character.

They need a Harry Osbourne bad.

Quote Originally Posted by baby-boo View Post
    They need a Harry Osbourne bad.
    Except the last two versions of the franchise already did Harry going Goblin thing.

A loooooot of the choices they made for this iteration are based on not being like the previous two versions.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Except the last two versions of the franchise already did Harry going Goblin thing.

A loooooot of the choices they made for this iteration are based on not being like the previous two versions.
    Do you think, based off that reasoning, we won't have a doctor doom in the fantastic four movie?

I expect at some point for status quo to kick in cause hey we can't keep Norman or Harry out of these movies for too long cause we can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Do you think, based off that reasoning, we won't have a doctor doom in the fantastic four movie?
    If they're smart, yes.

Not in the first one anyway. Doom is too big to squander on the origin film. Plus he complicates shit too much. All four previous FF films have had him in it, and as a result the main 4 weren't handled very well and Doom got squandered. The FF have a ton of other things they can do that aren't just Doom and Galactus.

Aside from that, Doom is actually a strong enough villain he could carry his own film first. Or put him in one of the established movies before FF. Black Panther or Doctor Strange maybe.

That aside, Spiderman in Civil War was just two years after Amazing Spidey. Homecoming only 3. Way too soon to retread any of the stuff from the previous.

Given that FF isn't even schedule in this phase of films, its going to be separated from the previous version that no one saw by nine or ten years, and from the version before that that people saw but no one cared about or remembers by almost twenty. It'll be fine to have Doom by then. But they shouldn't jump straight to him.

Also also, the Raimi spiderman films are iconic and beloved and that Goblin and that Doc Ock are well loved. Obviously they need to come around again eventually in some franchise, but they don't demand repeating.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway

If they're smart, yes.

Not in the first one anyway. Doom is too big to squander on the origin film. Plus he complicates shit too much. All four previous FF films have had him in it, and as a result the main 4 weren't handled very well and Doom got squandered. The FF have a ton of other things they can do that aren't just Doom and Galactus.

Aside from that, Doom is actually a strong enough villain he could carry his own film first. Or put him in one of the established movies before FF. Black Panther or Doctor Strange maybe.

That aside, Spiderman in Civil War was just two years after Amazing Spidey. Homecoming only 3. Way too soon to retread any of the stuff from the previous.

Given that FF isn't even schedule in this phase of films, its going to be separated from the previous version that no one saw by nine or ten years, and from the version before that that people saw but no one cared about or remembers by almost twenty. It'll be fine to have Doom by then. But they shouldn't jump straight to him.

Also also, the Raimi spiderman films are iconic and beloved and that Goblin and that Doc Ock are well loved. Obviously they need to come around again eventually in some franchise, but they don't demand repeating.
    It couldn't hurt to have Doom, just not as the (or even one of the) villain. He wasn't always Reed Richards' enemy so showing his good side for a change would be cool since we could then root for him if and when he gets a solo film or returns and has ambitions that we can relate to despite how he intends to achieve them. If they had his disfiguring accident be caused by Reed, we could even experience the heroes being directly responsible for creating their villains. Almost every other situation had the villain overreacting to something the hero did, or taking out their anger toward another person on the hero just by dint of association. Reed actually deserving everything that's eventually coming to him by Doom would be a nice change of pace.

They need to have Doom, they just don't have to start with him. Save him for a juicier sequel.

Understandably so. But as has been said, there are so many more Spidey villains that are waiting to be used, most notably Sandman, Black Cat and, if I have my way, a new Lizard since most people don't really consider the Amazing movies worthy of remembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    most notably Sandman,
    They did Sandman already. He was one of the few good points of the third Raimi film.

Black Cat
    I'm amazed they haven't gotten to her yet, seems an obvious choice. Maybe they're worried about her being too similar to Catwoman, who is a DC character the general public actually knows about/ Also maybe Black Widow comparisons.

and, if I have my way, a new Lizard since most people don't really consider the Amazing movies worthy of remembering.
    Like Goblin and Doc Ock, he'll come around again eventually. It might just be a long, long time. Unless they half arse him into a Sinister SIx deal.

Sure. And they got Ned in there to fill in that best friend role. And again, there's no way that they can turn lovey-dovey Ned bad now (except brainwashing, which I got form the wiki). It's too comical. And either way, it won't have the same build up/progression that the Raimi's films had with Harry over three films.

Discovered Stowaway

They did Sandman already. He was one of the few good points of the third Raimi film.

I'm amazed they haven't gotten to her yet, seems an obvious choice. Maybe they're worried about her being too similar to Catwoman, who is a DC character the general public actually knows about/ Also maybe Black Widow comparisons.

Like Goblin and Doc Ock, he'll come around again eventually. It might just be a long, long time. Unless they half arse him into a Sinister SIx deal.

They can differentiate with Black Cat enough if they try. The hair contrasting with her costume, for one thing. Also her grappling hook letting her mimic web-slinging to an extent (not unlike Daredevil), her retractable claws, and of course her bad luck powers.

I had talked with my friends about it and we thought it would be cool if (since it looks like they're doing some Spider-Women movies anyway) there was a mash-up movie where many of them, including Felicia Hardy, were all in some kind of prison for those types of skilled people and Silver Sable comes along and recruits them a la Suicide Squad to work with her on something that requires each of their particular skills.

Oh god, I totally forgot about him. Maybe I wanted to forget.

Black Cat seems like a perfect choice for Holland Spidey since he's so adorably awkward.

I mean I could be remembering incorrectly because it's been since I was in HS that I read some of the decades old Spidey stories, but weren't Gwen Stacey and Harry introduced as Peter went to college?

Going to college in the films would be a great way to introduce those characters in a realistic way to explain why they haven't been around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    On the reddit Discord, we were asked to list our top movies during the Summer and I struggled. Couple comic book movies in there and The Departed

25. Spider Man 2 24. Winter Soldier 23. Fight Club 22. Shutter Island 21. Departed

20. Slumdog Millionaire 19. Stranger than Fiction 18. Hateful Eight 17. Reservoir Dogs 16. Phonebooth

15. Law Abiding Citizen 14. Usual suspects 13. Whiplash 12. District 9 11. Eagle Eye

10 Best Man
    9 A Time To Kill
    8 Civil War
    7 Lion King
    6 Dark Knight
    5 Inception
    4 Beautiful mind
    3 V for Vendetta
    2 Inside Man
    1 The Wood
    I just want to say that The Wood is freaking amazing! So many black films feel hella niche, regardless of quality.

They milked Looney Tunes for all it's worth, but I did get some serious chuckles.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information