+ Reply to Thread
Page 519 of 588 FirstFirst ... 19 419 469 509 517 518 519 520 521 529 569 ... LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,380 of 11745

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - Holy Shitballs

Was Gaga in the movie? Why does she care?

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Was Gaga in the movie? Why does she care?
    Her fanbase wants a star is born to be number one at the box office, cause apparently same people watching venom would wanna watch a star is born too.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Its funny because Rocket himself directed It.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I doubt 2099 will get more than a brief cameo at this point. Which is a shame since he's had more comics than all of those non-Miles/Peter Spider-Men combined. But he's the prime Spider-Man to use for sequel bait, and this will totally be a series.

Mysterio using Chitauri tech is an unnecessary retread. Maybe they could use that to organically connect the Sinister Six members, but recycled tech worked for Vulture to fit the scavenger animal and everyman themes. Mysterio should be his own man as a brilliant but unsuccessful special effects artist.
    I'd definitely prefer it not be a rehash of that same thing, I was just suggesting a non-contrived way for him to be in possession of such tech since Toomes had to be selling that stuff for nearly a decade. Plus the pictures of the things on his suit resemble them heavily. And if he's got a suit made out of that stuff, it'll be harder to actually hurt him if Spidey does land a hit on him. Still, I'd prefer it be his own stuff like it traditionally has been. But I hope he's not alone, I want to see the Scorpion as well since he was hinted at in the last film.

And wouldn't it be impressive if someone without access to Wakanda made hologram illusions by himself.
    I mean, more impressive than Tony coming up with nanotech without access to Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Flash Thompson as Agent Venom is the only interesting thing anyone has done with trying to make the concept work outside of the context of being a Spider-Man villain.
    I'm not even a Venom fan but the recent storyline by Donny Cates has been pretty great, and works fine without Spiderman (even if Miles shows up briefly).

That ven diagram intersection is not very big.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Venom getting absolutely eviscerated in the reviews, Damn....

Novel I'm working on: The Dutchman
    Chapters Completed: 1!!
    Twitch / Blogspot

I like Rotten Tomatoes little summary review of it:
    "Venom's first standalone movie turns out to be like the comics character in all the wrong ways - chaotic, noisy, and in desperate need of a stronger attachment to Spider-Man."

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    I am not a comics guy, but I would assume there were a lot of comics starring venom without spooder-man that were good.
    You would *think* that given he's one of the most popular villains and he's been in a ton of comics over the decades, but... no.

None of them have been good.

He only, only, ONLY works as "Dark Spiderman." and his unique relationship to Peter. Where he's a bigger, tougher, nastier version of Peter that hates him, knows his identity, and is invisible to his spider sense. He kind of filled the Green Goblin role while Norman was dead.

Heck, even his actual *design* is bad when it's not a Spiderman mirror. WHy does he have those big eyes? It looks dumb. WHy does he have that big white spider? THe movie took it out because they can't explain it! (Also, it helps that actual SPiderman's costume was black for years before the twist reveal... but all retellings have to condense it down to about 20 minutes.)

Any time anything else is done with him it does not work. And even to that degree its basically only been done well on the Spectacular cartoon.

And this goes doubly so for every single spinoff symbiote who were basically all created to be "evil Venom" after they tried to rebrand Venom into a "Lethal Protector" good guy due to his popularity. They are all incredibly dumb lazy cash-ins. Especially Carnage.

The one time they did something interesting *idea wise* with him is when they put him on the Scorpion... except Venom didn't then change to get the stinger and a different design or skill set... he was just... Venom on a different guy. They've also tried giving Eddie Brock cancer, and giving the suit to Flash Thompson and making him an agent of shield. Which... are things that have nothing to do with Venom.
    Last edited by Robby; October 3rd, 2018 at 08:37 PM.

Discovered Stowaway

I just found out I won free IMAX tickets to see Venom, so I guess I'm going to see it after all. I'd never plunk down the cash for it, that's for sure. But I wouldn't see it alone either, so I'm glad I'll have a spare ticket for a friend.

My most basic self like carnage. It's like a shoot'em up game to me.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Damnit, how could I be this late to a topic as fun as Venom bashing? Rin, Robby, and Cyan already covered every point I could make...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    I'm not even a Venom fan but the recent storyline by Donny Cates has been pretty great, and works fine without Spiderman (even if Miles shows up briefly).
    Hm... I've been tempted to give that series a try because of the praise, but I don't know. Aside from the already mentioned fact that Eddie Brock as a protagonist just isn't interesting (especially compared to Flash Thompson), every big reveal I hear from Donny Cates' run sounds like it comes from a rushed try-hard fan fiction.

If I'm not mistaken, the Symbiotes were created by some badass villain god who created all of space and that one godkiller black sword from Thor because those are all black things and so it makes complete sense they're related to the same source, Symbiotes have been on Earth prior to Venom all along and fought soldier Wolverine because random history revision conspiracies are cool, there's a Symbiote dragon with red crazy swirl eyes just because, and Venom's white spider logo is actually a dragon which totally doesn't sound forced at all and he can summon wings now. And apparently Eddie and the Symbiote just died, but we know that isn't going to last.

Granted, it's easy for me to trash a comic I haven't read in full. And the Symbiote race backstory has never truly been fully explored, so none of this is technically "inconsistent". But apparently it's only six issues long so far, yet all of this has already been revealed, so something in me doubts there's compelling build-up or character studies going on here to complement all of this huge sudden worldbuilding.

Giving it the full benefit of the doubt, I can't tell whether this book is popular because it's told well or because everything about its plot developments sound like a wet dream for the average Venom fanboy. But feel free to convince me otherwise if I'm not giving it a fair chance.

And about Miles showing up... Does he actually contribute anything meaningful to the story besides being a stand-in quippy/geeky Peter Parker and defeating powerful villains with a couple Venom Blasts? I'd really like to see that get switched up at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    I'd definitely prefer it not be a rehash of that same thing, I was just suggesting a non-contrived way for him to be in possession of such tech since Toomes had to be selling that stuff for nearly a decade. Plus the pictures of the things on his suit resemble them heavily. And if he's got a suit made out of that stuff, it'll be harder to actually hurt him if Spidey does land a hit on him. Still, I'd prefer it be his own stuff like it traditionally has been. But I hope he's not alone, I want to see the Scorpion as well since he was hinted at in the last film.
    I get you. It would be an organic explanation at the least.

I think whether or not Spider-Man can land hits on Mysterio and not an illusion/robot should be the main external conflict he faces rather than alien tech protection or whatever.

I wonder how they will adapt the Scorpion suit. Or if they even give him the Scorpion suit. Michael Mando, the black market dealings, and his fake scar remind me a lot more of the second Ultimate Scorpion than the main universe interpretation. And I don't know how to feel about that...

Spoiler:

I mean, more impressive than Tony coming up with nanotech without access to Wakanda.
    Yes, but not as impressive as Tony Stark creating nano tech off-screen entirely and rendering any remaining potential for Iron Man model improvements obsolete.
    Last edited by Count Mario; October 3rd, 2018 at 10:01 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Just watched the trailer for 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse'. Looks really fun actually.

I wonder how they will adapt the Scorpion suit. Or if they even give him the Scorpion suit. Michael Mando, the black market dealings, and his fake scar remind me a lot more of the second Ultimate Scorpion than the main universe interpretation. And I don't know how to feel about that...

Ugh. One of the many many times Bendis could't think of any way to update the original concept and be "cool" so he just did something dumb and edgy instead. And that was after he'd already blown doing Scorpion once by making him a part of the Clone saga extra Peter.

Probably nothing worse than his Ultimate Deadpool though.

Discovered Stowaway

Damnit, how could I be this late to a topic as fun as Venom bashing? Rin, Robby, and Cyan already covered every point I could make...

The fact alone that they're doing it without any ties to Spider-Man is enough as it is. Anything else makes it just hurt more.

I get you. It would be an organic explanation at the least.
    I'm a stickler for continuity-type stuff, so I can't help it.

I think whether or not Spider-Man can land hits on Mysterio and not an illusion/robot should be the main external conflict he faces rather than alien tech protection or whatever.
    I just don't want him to be one-shotted in the end, is all. All of Spidey's villains so far have been normal humans packing hi-tech weapons, so that's partly why I'm hoping Scorpion will be a part of it so he'll have someone capable of matching or exceeding him physically.

That, I am extremely curious about. I would like the see the character be more mutated-looking, with some buggy chitin and those large-pupiled eyes, but still wearing the scorpion armor with a cybernetic tail rather than an organic one. Like someone who messed with the experiment that gave Peter Parker his powers, but this time around it resulted in way too much of the bug DNA getting in and changing the physical appearance more than intended, also of course creating some mental instability. Also I don't know if it's just my computer but I couldn't get the image to load.

Yes, but not as impressive as Tony Stark creating nano tech off-screen entirely and rendering any remaining potential for Iron Man model improvements obsolete.
    I, too, did not approve of the rushed nanotech Tony was packing. Hint at it, or at least pay homage to him getting a better understanding after collaborating with Wakanda, and maybe save it (or the best parts of it) for the Avengers 4 finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Ugh. One of the many many times Bendis could't think of any way to update the original concept and be "cool" so he just did something dumb and edgy instead. And that was after he'd already blown doing Scorpion once by making him a part of the Clone saga extra Peter.

I don't know it doesn't look as meh as this

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    The fact alone that they're doing it without any ties to Spider-Man is enough as it is. Anything else makes it just hurt more.
    I feel like Spider-Verse will embolden them to make more Venoms instead of obviously making Spider-Verse films their own main extended universe.

I'm a stickler for continuity-type stuff, so I can't help it.
    I am too lol.

I just don't want him to be one-shotted in the end, is all. All of Spidey's villains so far have been normal humans packing hi-tech weapons, so that's partly why I'm hoping Scorpion will be a part of it so he'll have someone capable of matching or exceeding him physically.
    I kind of want him to be one-shotted. Saving that triumph for the end always feels very cathartic. And could either become very humorous:
    Spoiler:

Or very dramatic:
    Spoiler:

Or very dark (this isn't a punch but the character has osteoporosis and is thus very fragile):
    Spoiler:

That, I am extremely curious about. I would like the see the character be more mutated-looking, with some buggy chitin and those large-pupiled eyes, but still wearing the scorpion armor with a cybernetic tail rather than an organic one. Like someone who messed with the experiment that gave Peter Parker his powers, but this time around it resulted in way too much of the bug DNA getting in and changing the physical appearance more than intended, also of course creating some mental instability. Also I don't know if it's just my computer but I couldn't get the image to load.
    I would like that. It would definitely be a unique look, make Scorpion's design look more appealing, and his insanity's origins make more sense since its primitive big instincts at play. Although I really like his armor in the comics right now. I don't mind him being all mechanical either though. Something in me likes the idea of the MCU Sinister Six only having members who use technology/armor than actual powers. It creates a consistent theme and reflects how "street-level" they are.

Regardless, Scorpion intrigues me by basically being a more flamboyant Venom, but never getting the respect and exposure he got outside of when he... literally became freaking Venom lol. Which is a shame because his origins of being a private investigator and partially created by Jameson, as well as having similar but also different powers to Spidey make him a much more interesting villain conceptually than "YOU RUINED MY LIFE" bulkier black Spider-Man.

I don't know if Scorpion can hold his own movie as a main antagonist though. He could, but it would require completely rewriting his character a la MCU Vulture. I'm much more interested in him as a side antagonist lone wolf or soldier villain working under a mastermind. Villains are more interesting if they respectively occupy different niches.

Does this work:

Spoiler:

I, too, did not approve of the rushed nanotech Tony was packing. Hint at it, or at least pay homage to him getting a better understanding after collaborating with Wakanda, and maybe save it (or the best parts of it) for the Avengers 4 finale.
    Eh, they wanted to give Tony one last hurrah before RDJ retires with Avengers 4. Let's not expect the MCU to get crazy with building things up TOO subtly, organically without easy shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

If he didn't call this guy Scorpion, he'd be serviceable. Although he technically already did the "real" Ultimate Scorpion so I can overlook this, I guess.

And while Scorpion being a clone is... eh... I love that design.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I don't know it doesn't look as meh as this

Is that the Spider-Verse movie design? Ew... But I don't expect him to be anymore than a bit henchman for more than one or two brief action scenes like Shocker in Homecoming.

Actually, the one thing concerning me about Spider-Verse is how unnecessarily huge it is. Aside from Scorpion, I ADORE how all the characters, world, and animation. But we have six Spider-Men, Kingpin, Green Goblin, Scorpion, and Prowler all in the same film. AND it's a Miles Morales origin story on top of all that! I get how much they want to bank on a movie with multiple Spider-Men, but this movie is so unnecessarily bloated. Focusing on Miles' origin, being mentored by alternate reality Peter that is strongly hinted to be a stand-in for Tobey Maguire Spidey (very smart choice for nostalgia and feeling like its a sequel to those films), and only having one-two villains is already plenty for one whole film.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Spider-Verse already doesn't interest me by virtue of the fact Ultimate Spider-Man already adapted it.......twice. And much like that adaptation I don't expect anyone to bite the dust like in the source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

It seems Chris Evans is done with Captain after Avengers 4.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information