+ Reply to Thread
Page 471 of 608 FirstFirst ... 371 421 461 469 470 471 472 473 481 521 571 ... LastLast
Results 9,401 to 9,420 of 12157

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread: Excelsior!

  1. #9401
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. GOATmore

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I wonder if Chris Evans and Chadwick Boseman now view themselves as brothers-in-arms with PTSD.
    I assume you mean Chris Evans and Michael B. Jordan?

  2. #9402
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I assume you mean Chris Evans and Michael B. Jordan?
    Oh God, I'm an idiot lol.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  3. #9403
    Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    I thought the film was alright.

    Spoiler:
    Killmonger was definitely the standout here. His motivations felt all too real, and coupled with his sheer brutality it was clear how absolutely phenomenal Michael B. Jordan's performance was.

    However...I'm not really sold on how he entered the story. Maybe I missed too much in the opening scene and need to rewatch it, but I didn't feel it was sufficient to really establish him. So I was pretty confused when he first showed up as an adult, and it felt like a ton of the middle part of the film was devoted to explaining who he was and how he originated like that, when it really should have been more prevalent in the first act...like, keeping the opening scene at least somewhat vague is fine, but I couldn't gauge anything just from...having the plane fly away...and I honestly forgot about the shots of the kids playing basketball until Killmonger's past was explained, I thought they were just there to set the atmosphere.

    It also doesn't help Killmonger's introduction for the film to introduce a completely new villain in the beginning as well that is connected to him but hogs up almost all the screentime until he dies. It reminded me of Ivan Vanko in Iron Man 2, though I should say that Klaue is not a bad or boring character in and of himself and Killmonger does a pretty good job of seizing back the spotlight after the first act. I felt like Klaue's role in the story was pretty rushed; maybe it didn't feel good enough to me because I haven't read the Black Panther comics, but it just didn't feel like it meshed well. So rather than give Killmonger a good buildup to the execution of his goal to subjugate non-Africans, we first get him hiding in the shadows behind a show-stealer, followed by a lot of exposition filling in the blanks about him, then the execution of his plan which at that point doesn't have any real sense of threat behind it.

    But honestly, I was most disappointed in the final battle. So yeah, Killmonger's suit was just the suit that T'Challa rejected when Shuri gave him two options, and that creates a brawl that's about as boring as you'd expect. But the kicker was that it didn't have to be that boring! You had rhinoceroses on the field of battle, you had the underground trains, and who knows what else in the surroundings, but none of those play a role. The only things that are used are the sonic mining thingies whose purpose was essentially to take away the defensive capabilities of the suits. So yeah. Honestly, not-Bilbo Baggins had the most interesting role in the final fight, even if the threat to him didn't feel all that real and he didn't appear at all afterwards until the mid-credits.

    Whew, that's a lot of complaints; to be clear, I did enjoy the movie. It's just easier to go into detail with criticisms than praises. The car chase in Korea kicked ass. I enjoyed T'Challa's fights for his title in the official kingly pool. Okoye and W'Kabi were both really interesting characters, so interesting that I was pretty disappointed when they didn't really fight in the climax. Andy Serkis as Klaue was nuts. The glimpses of Wakandan culture were an experience I've really never seen in a movie before, and the perspectives presented here are things I really hope make their way into many other movies.

    In the end, Black Panther was great entertainment and had a pretty strong message, but how well they executed that message was heavily dependent on how they executed their villain and said villain had multiple roadblocks in the first part of the movie that prevented him from being a true, impactful threat in the climax and prevented this film from being the masterpiece it possibly could have been.


    Spoiler:

  4. #9404

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Captain America TWS, Civil War and Iron man 1 still at the top of my Marvel movies. Next is probably Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy and maybe Avengers 1. Top of the next tier is probably where I would rank Black Panther. Still quite a solid movie but so many Marvel movies have been really good and enjoyable. I thought the action was a bit underwhelming as well as some of the CGI. Ryan Coogler is still a very talented director and I hope he learned more about making big blockbuster movies from this experience.

  5. #9405
    Discovered Stowaway Riddler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    I thought the film was alright.

    Spoiler:
    Killmonger was definitely the standout here. His motivations felt all too real, and coupled with his sheer brutality it was clear how absolutely phenomenal Michael B. Jordan's performance was.

    However...I'm not really sold on how he entered the story. Maybe I missed too much in the opening scene and need to rewatch it, but I didn't feel it was sufficient to really establish him. So I was pretty confused when he first showed up as an adult, and it felt like a ton of the middle part of the film was devoted to explaining who he was and how he originated like that, when it really should have been more prevalent in the first act...like, keeping the opening scene at least somewhat vague is fine, but I couldn't gauge anything just from...having the plane fly away...and I honestly forgot about the shots of the kids playing basketball until Killmonger's past was explained, I thought they were just there to set the atmosphere.

    It also doesn't help Killmonger's introduction for the film to introduce a completely new villain in the beginning as well that is connected to him but hogs up almost all the screentime until he dies. It reminded me of Ivan Vanko in Iron Man 2, though I should say that Klaue is not a bad or boring character in and of himself and Killmonger does a pretty good job of seizing back the spotlight after the first act. I felt like Klaue's role in the story was pretty rushed; maybe it didn't feel good enough to me because I haven't read the Black Panther comics, but it just didn't feel like it meshed well. So rather than give Killmonger a good buildup to the execution of his goal to subjugate non-Africans, we first get him hiding in the shadows behind a show-stealer, followed by a lot of exposition filling in the blanks about him, then the execution of his plan which at that point doesn't have any real sense of threat behind it.

    But honestly, I was most disappointed in the final battle. So yeah, Killmonger's suit was just the suit that T'Challa rejected when Shuri gave him two options, and that creates a brawl that's about as boring as you'd expect. But the kicker was that it didn't have to be that boring! You had rhinoceroses on the field of battle, you had the underground trains, and who knows what else in the surroundings, but none of those play a role. The only things that are used are the sonic mining thingies whose purpose was essentially to take away the defensive capabilities of the suits. So yeah. Honestly, not-Bilbo Baggins had the most interesting role in the final fight, even if the threat to him didn't feel all that real and he didn't appear at all afterwards until the mid-credits.

    Whew, that's a lot of complaints; to be clear, I did enjoy the movie. It's just easier to go into detail with criticisms than praises. The car chase in Korea kicked ass. I enjoyed T'Challa's fights for his title in the official kingly pool. Okoye and W'Kabi were both really interesting characters, so interesting that I was pretty disappointed when they didn't really fight in the climax. Andy Serkis as Klaue was nuts. The glimpses of Wakandan culture were an experience I've really never seen in a movie before, and the perspectives presented here are things I really hope make their way into many other movies.

    In the end, Black Panther was great entertainment and had a pretty strong message, but how well they executed that message was heavily dependent on how they executed their villain and said villain had multiple roadblocks in the first part of the movie that prevented him from being a true, impactful threat in the climax and prevented this film from being the masterpiece it possibly could have been.
    Spoiler:
    I thought the reveal that he was the son of T'Challas uncle was supposed to be a twist, so it didn't bother me that they didn't reveal it in the opening scene. I agree that the final fight was a little bland, though I liked Killmonger's death scene a lot, very poignant.


    Very strong movie, but what else to expect from Marvel at this point After the rather comedic recent outings, it was nice to see one with a little more serious tone again, while of course still being incredibly entertaining.

  6. #9406

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    I really enjoyed the movie. Top characters to me were M'Baku, Okoye, Killmonger and Shuri. I think this movie covered a lot of topics pretty well.

    Spoiler:
    Traditions, loyalty, responsibility and duty. To name a few. I felt bad for Okoye. She may have considered T'Challa a friend but her role was to be a general to the king. And he lost that fight to Killmonger fairly. She didn't have wiggle room to just leave.

    M'Baku was a delight. During the first introduction of him I wasn't too sure about his role. But in his home turf he was so cool.

    Shuri was a lot of fun. But usually their head scientists in these sorts of movies seem to just have fun with their love of tech. People in the theater laughed at a lot if her lines. The "What are those!?" "You brought me another broken white boy." And the colonizers line got the biggest laughs. She was just fun and a cool sister.

    I was surprised Killmonger killed Klaw. I did like the way Andy played him and I was sad to see him actually dead. But Killmonger got his name for a reason. I thought he was an effective villain but I'm also hesitant to call him that since he really was created by the former king's mistake. And he did have a good point about Wakanda being too isolated. Wakanda was so far advanced by the time the slave trade started they could have prevented a major portion of it from happening if not also flipping everything around throughout the world. Another villain I was sad to see go. I kinda wish T'Challa had ignored his request and just had him.healed. It bugs me when movies based on long running franchises kill major villains off. Especially if the villain is normally a reoccurring one. It makes me extra glad they didn't kill Loki in the 1st Thor movie..But it made me want Killmonger's survival even more.


    Overall I really liked the movie. The soundtrack was on point. The costuming and set designs were stellar. The plot pretty basic but the characters made the movie.

  7. #9407
    Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Riddler View Post
    Spoiler:
    I thought the reveal that he was the son of T'Challas uncle was supposed to be a twist, so it didn't bother me that they didn't reveal it in the opening scene. I agree that the final fight was a little bland, though I liked Killmonger's death scene a lot, very poignant.
    Spoiler:
    Hm, I don't mind it being a twist but I think it'd have been better if they had showed the uncle being killed in the flashback. Given the more ambiguous nature of the opening scene I had thought that the uncle himself would show up again later (Lion King style?) and having to explain that he died in addition to the son's existence felt more burdensome on the middle part of the movie


    Spoiler:

  8. #9408

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Just saw Black Panther

    Spoiler:
    Another awesome entry in the MCU canon. Maybe not one of my personal favorites, but I had a lot of fun watching it.

    Also, I don't know if Killmonger is one of the best villains the MCU has had, but he is probably the most sympathetic villain we've had to date. His final scene really got me in the feels.

    That said, I'm not entirely clear on what his plan during the first half was. I mean, what was the point of him stealing the vibranium weapon and trying to sell it? Couldn't he just have skipped all that, killed Klaw, and then turn him in to Wakanda?

  9. #9409
    Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

  10. #9410

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Just saw Black Panther

    Spoiler:
    Another awesome entry in the MCU canon. Maybe not one of my personal favorites, but I had a lot of fun watching it.

    Also, I don't know if Killmonger is one of the best villains the MCU has had, but he is probably the most sympathetic villain we've had to date. His final scene really got me in the feels.

    That said, I'm not entirely clear on what his plan during the first half was. I mean, what was the point of him stealing the vibranium weapon and trying to sell it? Couldn't he just have skipped all that, killed Klaw, and then turn him in to Wakanda?
    Spoiler:
    I think he needed T'Challa to look extra incompetent by failing to get him. So he would have more support from people dissatisfied with T'Challa.

  11. #9411
    Discovered Stowaway algebro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Anytown, USA

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Well Black Panther was one of those rare instances where the movie was able to deliver on the hype. It's also one of the few superhero movies I would recommend even to someone who wasn't interested in the genre.
    Spoiler:

    This movie was so smart in that it involved such real themes while leaving the deciphering open to the viewers interpretation. Wakanda could be considered a nascent superpower debating the merits of good and bad intentioned colonialism vs isolationism, or you could view the Wakandans as indictment on black elites who refuse to help lower class black people in an attempt to protect their power. When T'challa was viewed beside Killmonger he looked very much like the privileged child who never really understood hardship and struggle. Weighing the importance of tradition vs when its time to move on. There is so much to dig into.

    Michael B Jordan as Killmonger was the best acted and portrayed, and I loved how real and sympathetic his character was. I honestly had no qualms with him throughout the entire movie. The scene where he talks to his dad after becoming king was surprisingly touching and showed the human side to his character. His emphasized black American dialogue was also a great touch in showing his contrast to the other Wakandans and built up his young kid from the streets vs privileged people persona. His refusal to be healed felt natural and was a perfect end for his character.

    Pretty much everything delivered. Separate clans are awesome and I hope get explored more. Bald fierce female warriors are all the rage. Shuri was excellent and I already can't wait to see her again, Nakia was awesome in that she was a love interest who can handle herself, pretty much everyone did outstanding. Except for Zuri. It felt like the movie never really established him as anything more than an old sagey person and I didn't feel much of anything when he died.

    It definitely wasn't perfect. The third act felt wonky and the final battle between Black Panther and Killmonger didn't feel as intense as the first one. The weird, give Ross something to do, portion felt random. The cgi felt fake looking in certain scenes and sometimes straight up looked like a video game.


    All in all I would rank this as my third favorite Mcu title after Avengers and Winter Soldier but it might go up with repeat viewings.

  12. #9412
    Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    A way more in depth review than yms's quickie that goes into more negatives to spice things up here a little.

    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

  13. #9413

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Black Panther was excellent.

    The story was serious and had stakes in all of the right ways but had some jokes and silly fun in all of the right ways too. Killmonger easily makes top 3-4 villains right along Loki, Vulture, and Killgrave. I never once agreed with him, starting a war with the entire world is never the answer, but I sympathized with him and why he was doing what he was doing. Excellent acting and characterization.

    Also, Shuri stole every damn scene she was in. Letitia Wright deserves mad props because in a movie with so many excellent performances, she was the most memorable character for me. Seeing her get all bubbly and happy about getting to try out her inventions was great.

    Also:

    Spoiler:
    I am surprised the movie didn't explicitly tell us the Soul Stone is in Wakanda. They said the meteor that brought the vibranium is also what powers the Heart-Shaped Herb... I was expecting after the herbs got destroyed we'd get a scene showing explicitly that Meteor ALSO brought the Soul Stone and that is what was causing it or something...

    It's interesting to me that we're going into Infinity War without knowing where every stone is. I fully expect it to BE in Wakanda however, since in the trailer for IW it appears Thanos' army is attacking Wakanda, so it makes the most sense that he'd be coming for the stone.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

  14. #9414

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Finally, twisterfalcon'ss review is out. wow
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

  15. #9415

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Just saw Black Panther

    Spoiler:
    Another awesome entry in the MCU canon. Maybe not one of my personal favorites, but I had a lot of fun watching it.

    Also, I don't know if Killmonger is one of the best villains the MCU has had, but he is probably the most sympathetic villain we've had to date. His final scene really got me in the feels.

    That said, I'm not entirely clear on what his plan during the first half was. I mean, what was the point of him stealing the vibranium weapon and trying to sell it? Couldn't he just have skipped all that, killed Klaw, and then turn him in to Wakanda?
    Was my single biggest issue with the movie as well. Marvel movies in general don't do a good job with villain-plans.

    That said, was surprised how much I liked this movie. Upper-tier MCU, and even if I still don't find Black Panther all that interesting, the extended cast on this one, villain included, was excellent.

    Also, that was one good-looking bunch of people.

  16. #9416

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Saw Black Panther, loved it.

    Saw so many of my friends fighting and dying. :)
    Maybe I'll get in the next one. :(

    But it doesn't matter, know why? I worked with Lupita once on the Last Ship(I think) and she hugged me and kissed me! On the cheek! Booyow baby!
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

  17. #9417

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    So I saw Black Panther yesterday;

    Spoiler:


    I was eh...pretty meh about the whole movie tbh.

    Killmonger was the most interesting part of the film by a mile, and it kinda irks me that they made him a one shot villain.

    Also I just kinda found T'Challa and his posse to all be you know...sore losers and a bit hypocritical to boot?

    T'Challa fights M'Baku at the start of the film for the throne of Wakanda, with his Black Panther powers removed so that it's a fair fight.

    T'Challa wins and all his buddies are loving it, oh yeah this is the best way to crown a king, look at him go! Go T'Challa! Woo!

    Killmonger rocks up and invokes his right to challenge for the throne himself, which he's entirely within his rights to do.

    So first everyone's like nooo he can't challenge at all, he's a bad dude and try to block his completely legitimate challenge.

    T'Challa accepts because he's a good sport and because his father actually orphaned this poor bastard.

    Anyway, once again T'Challa is stripped of his Black Panther abilities and the fight begins.

    Apart from some early resistance, T'Challa gets the ever living shit beaten out of him by Killmonger in what is a completely clean victory with no underhanded tactics whatsoever.

    Killmonger then throws a defenseless T'Challa over a cliff to end said shit kicking.

    Suddenly, this isn't such a great way to decide a king at all!

    No one seems too hot on the whole ritual combat thing when their guy doesn't win.

    Anyway, T'Challa is recovered and put on ice by the Jabari tribe and then brought out of his coma after he has his black panther powers restored.

    He then comes back to contest the throne again with the incredibly tenuous claim of "I didn't submit and I didn't die so the fight is still going"

    Maaaaaan, you got your ass handed to you and only survived because you got given back powers that you expressly had stripped from you to ensure a fair fight.

    Am I really meant to get behind you as the wronged good guy who's back to overcome adversity?

    Then T'Challa is able to overcome the guy who completely outclassed him earlier because...plot reasons?

    Overall the film came across more like a political thriller than a Marvel movie and all the "protagonists" were pretty tedious and at times downright unlikable.

    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron


  18. #9418

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    So I saw Black Panther yesterday
    Some fair points in there.

    Spoiler:
    I think some of it can be explained by the fact that one of the main themes of the movie is "sometimes, tradition is stupid." But I had the same issue that you did with the fact that Killmonger did things by the book and got his comeuppance in non-by-the-book ways. Didn't hate him, but think the weakest part of the movie is actually, y'know, the Black Panter.
    Hang in there, Kierkegaard.

  19. #9419
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    So I saw Black Panther yesterday;
    Spoiler:


    It bothered me to but the general chick was going to follow the new king even if she doesn't like it. The one that bothered me were the mom and sister. Their logic was basically if things go our way tradition is fine but if it doesn't fuck it

    Black Panther's logic didn't bother me since I asked myself the same question and it seems like something everyone that knew the rule agree on. Kill also had the black panther so the fight was fair.

    As for the ex she never liked tradition and had been trying to make them change since forever so it didn't bother me. The sister and mom bother me becasue they were being hypocritical. the warrior woman was fine since she was still following the king.


    The question of his legitimacy was more that he was never raised in Wakanda so he is an outsider rather than him being evil or not. He is not really for a tribe so his right to challenge seemed murky and unusual.



  20. #9420

    Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

    Black Panther was complete garbage.

    What a waste of money. Blergh.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts