View Poll Results: Who do you think will join?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tama

9 2.93%
  • Carrot

108 35.18%
  • Caribou

12 3.91%
  • Momo

10 3.26%
  • Kinemon

9 2.93%
  • Hiyori

4 1.30%
  • Bonney

9 2.93%
  • Pekoms

5 1.63%
  • Vivi

26 8.47%
  • Kawamatsu

16 5.21%
  • None of the above

99 32.25%
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 404 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 7 - Wano)

So what does this cover mean?

And what about the 7 or 8 covers where Law was given equal billing, or the one where Kinemon was equal to the Strawhats? Or the multiple covers that had a lot of minks on them?

You have to narrow the criteria to a really narrow window to escalate the one cover with Carrot.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So what does this cover mean?
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20170714013014

And what about the 7 or 8 covers where Law was given equal billing, or the one where Kinemon was equal to the Strawhats? Or the multiple covers that had a lot of minks on them?

You have to narrow the criteria to a really narrow window to escalate the one cover with Carrot.
    Well, having a narrow criteria is sort of the point, isn't it?

I've thought about Pudding and Law and other noteworthy characters while working on the list, but none of them fit into the criteria I stated. In Pudding's case, she's only with Sanji; Luffy's set apart on another plain with a bunch of other characters. She's never interacted with Luffy on more than a rudimentary level, and that's important.

For Law, he's been in covers with Luffy only, and in covers with both them and others like Smoker and the Supernovae. He's important, obvs, but a crewmate also has to stand equally with other members of the crew, not just toe to toe with Luffy. The only time that happened before was Sanji and Luffy way back on vol. 7.

If you want to get really strict about it, only Nami, Franky and Jinbe have been in covers with the crew before joining and without extraneous characters around them. It's not like I'm espousing hard and verifiable science here, but I do think the covers can and have pointed to who's important to the crew on a deeper level than just arc character of the year.

And hey, I did talk about Kin'emon and the other Minks, I don't know why you think I ignored them.
    Last edited by Shift; September 16th, 2018 at 01:23 AM.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I think it has to be Jinbei and Carrot. Jinbei is already sworn into the crew. Carrot is the fresh-faced female version of Luffy. Oda said something about the next memebers joining in quick succession so why not have two memebers who’ve literally been on the ship and whose intentions we already know. You might be wondering why it hasn’t happened yet then. Well Oda just said it himself, there has to be a story reason to allow people to join. Everyone except Zoro literally had an arc dedicated to highlighting their reasons but the New world doesn’t have time to focus on one person’s drama(Except Sanji’s apparently) so Oda is getting clever by making sure you see the progression of the new Strawhats’ convictions to join the crew in real time as the hectic New world story chugs along. We see Jinbei’s fight with Luffy at Fishman Island to his quitting his old crew in WCI. We see Carrot’s stowing away on the ship just to go to sea to Pedro’s dying words that give her cause to consider the Strawhats as something special. And when the time comes, Jinbei would’ve saved his old crew and completely been freed from his old responsibilities and Carrot would’ve grown out of her naivity about just sailing the world and decided sailing with the Strawhats to bring about this “Dawn” as Pedro said is a more noble goal. And like that, a confluence of stories will occur and two Strawhats will join in quick succession just like Oda said.

And of course there’s the obvious reasons. Jinbei is a veteran so he must be balanced out with Carrot as a rookie. Jinbei is an old man, Carrot is a young chick. Jinbei has Fishman Karate, Carrot has Electro. Jinbei is a good Helmsman, Carrot is a good look out. Jinbei is a stiff, Carrot is goofy almost to Luffy levels. They both have very good unique designs(*ahem to sell lots of toys ahem*). They are both pretty strong. They are of different races which is big deal in the new world story. And lastly they both have good dynamics with the crew.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Is the Volume 88 Cover the first cover in which the same character. Appears twice. Carrot in Sulong appears there again

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImmaIvanoM View Post
    Is the Volume 88 Cover the first cover in which the same character. Appears twice. Carrot in Sulong appears there again
    here, have some Luffy twice.

Spoiler:

It’s a One Piece next generations scenario.

So it’s Carrot and Luffy then... Anyway I don’t really care about the covers. I just think that Sulong form was top 3 best moments in the whole Arc... Sexy AF

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    If Shutenmaru is our next big candidate, I hope he has a unique style and isn't just another bog-standard swordsman. Like he has a Kusarigama, or something.
    Or a ninja like Raizou

I think we’re passed entire arcs dedicated to single characters. So Carrot has had her ordeals scattered throughout the story since Zou with her growing out of her naivety first from almost having her country destroyed and later from Pedro’s demiseSame way Jinbei has had his ordeals scattered through the story since Fishman Island with him letting go of his responsibilities to bet on Luffy instead, First letting go of his hero status in FI by letting Luffy be the hero and then in WCI quitting his old crew but having to stay to save their lives.

I don’t think they’ll ever be an Arlong Park or Water 7 style arc again where a primary conflict can actually just center around one person. Luffy is dealing with threats that mess with the entire fabric of the One Piece world and it’s highlighted in stuff like the “the year of Sanji”. Where Sanji was relegated to a pawn in his own arc and the only tangible connection he had was the Vinsmokes who themselves still got relegated to Mere pawns in the eyes of the Main Villain. So my point is, these new Strawhats can’t be written to have huge stakes in the stories anymore and the biggest attribute I can see that defines these new Crewmates is being able to bet on Luffy despite all the shit they’ve seen in this New World. Jinbei knows the inner workings of even the WG by having been a Warlord and knows the Yonkou having been under Momma but still picks Luffy to be the man who will triumph over all the monsters of the world. Carrot is completely naive of the world in the opposite spectrum from Jinbei and for her the terrors of the World are truly terrors in her eyes like when she actually attacked Katakuri after Pedro’s death to completely no avail and was physically reminded of what this New world has to offer. But even in this Chaos around her, she steps up for Strawhats spurred on by Pedro’s last words that the Strawhats might be worth betting on despite the tragedy that might befall her in this crazy world. I think these New crewmates being after the time skip are people who are strong and can recognize the new world as strong but bet on Luffy nonetheless since this is the home stretch and Oda is conveying their faith in the crew by stretching their character arcs over time.

after jinbe
    the Next Straw Hat marco

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Well, having a narrow criteria is sort of the point, isn't it?
    No, because that's isolating and ignoring data in order to build evidence around a theory, instead of a theory around evidence.

And hey, I did talk about Kin'emon and the other Minks, I don't know why you think I ignored them.
    Because you mention one instance of them while ignoring multiple others to downplay just how often other characters have gotten equal billing.

I wrote Ninja High School for about 10 years and a bunch of stuff for Antarctic Press, like Pirates versus Ninjas and the Zombie Recognition Guide, and some how to draw related books, and did editorial on more things than I can even remember.

Ah judging from the titles I'll assume the target demographic were kids? Is there any work you're particularly proud/fond of that you might like to recommend to check out?
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

No, because that's isolating and ignoring data in order to build evidence around a theory, instead of a theory around evidence.

Because you mention one instance of them while ignoring multiple others to downplay just how often other characters have gotten equal billing.
    I said Kin'emon was in the same boat as Carrot in having been shown in an equal way with Luffy and the crew. I said the same about Momo from the cover with the Minks, who were clearly set into the background, including Carrot who I didn't try to claim was the focus there. I gave them all credit, so where do you get the gall to accuse me of downplaying anything?

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

I don't know if it specifically got mentioned in this thread but there's a 4 entry gap between Brook and Roger in the new Vivre Card Databook. I assume the 4 missing entries are for the Strawhat crew.

#1 Luffy
    #2 Zoro
    #9 Brook
    #10 ????
    #11 ????
    #12 ????
    #13 ????
    -------------
    #14 Roger

#10 is of course Jinbe and he's been teased as such in the cover story.

My own personal theory is that #13 is the ship/klabautermann.

The ship has a giant #13 on it. And based on the early crew art there was a midget shipwright that looks suspiciously similar to the Klabautermann.

Now I know that there'll be some debate whether Going Merry AND Sunny will get their own numbers but I don't think this is the case. Didn't Franky state that the spirit of Merry lives on in Sunny? And although not canon, Episode of Merry spelled it out that Merry and Sunny are inhabited by the same entity. The anime does fact check somethings with Oda, so I don't really have any reason to not believe that the anime in this instance. I know some things have been revealed by the anime before confirmed in the manga or SBS, such as Charlotte Kato being a member of the Big Mom family and not a homie like most people were assuming. So it only makes sense for the Klabautermann, Merry, and Sunny to have one entry (as #13).

The leaves #11 and #12 for new crew members.

Someone else pointed this out to me once that the name for the crew in Japanese is Mugiwara no Ichimi which could also be some wordplay which Oda loves. Ichimi = Ichi, Mi or 1, 3. We've already seen Oda use wordplay with the Strawhat's devil fruit numbers as well as the name of the ship, so I don't really take it as a stretch if Oda's using some wordplay again.

Oh yeah and I think Carrot is one of the 2 new members after Jinbe.

People are only ardently opposed to her because they think there's only 1 member after Jinbe. If the crew ends up being completed by end of Wano arc like most people are predicting then Carrot will probably end up being one of the characters since she'll have been with us for so long.

I said Kin'emon was in the same boat as Carrot in having been shown in an equal way with Luffy and the crew. I said the same about Momo from the cover with the Minks, who were clearly set into the background, including Carrot who I didn't try to claim was the focus there. I gave them all credit, so where do you get the gall to accuse me of downplaying anything?
    Because when you listed volume covers you skipped a whole bunch of them, downplaying the *number* of times various characters showed up, Law in particular, while using a very particular criteria to discredit other characters that have shown up a bunch of times, (Even Bege has been on like 4 different covers.) while emphasizing the one cover with Carrot as special, even though aside from that one cover, she has consistently also been with Pedro, Pekoms, Wanda, Sanji's sister, etc.

In particular
    Whether Carrot is joining or not, she has clearly been placed among the upper echelons of such important characters by Oda himself. Pudding simply can’t compare.
    Even though Pudding has appeared on the cover absolutely sharing main spotlight with Sanji on cover 86, but you don't list that because... she's not in the same row as Luffy? Because Sanji is the only other strawhat there? I'm not supporting Pudding in the least, but on that cover she was featured just as prominently as any other major character, *with a strawhat* and has been in a couple pieces since. It might also be significant that Pudding was NOT in the various Big Mom underlings covers.

And that's just one example. Then there's the volume 89 cover, it's just Luffy and Katakuri, and I can't think of any other time where it's JUST been Luffy vs one guy with absolutely no other characters in the cover. That's a first I think. (I could be wrong, but its the only one I can think of.) Surely that makes Katakuri important, unique and upper echelon in importance? He even appeared on that cover twice, which is one of the big deals being made about the 88 cover.

What about going all the way back to the volume 5 cover, where it four strawhats and the Usopp pirates? They were behind them but they were all in the same plane being given prominence. What about volume 15 whee it's Luffy, Usopp and the Giants all given the same priority while the villains are faded behind them? What about 19 where Luffy, Usopp and Pell are in the same space, and Koza behind them?

Etc. etc. every couple volumes from the start to present.

If you're going to do "covers/color spreads with only strawhats" that's fine, so you can point to some of the early volumes, to the Alabasta vs. spread, the one spread with Franky a year before he joined, or the Jinbe in the 10 vs 10,000 cover, but there's only been a very small handful of those as actual volume covers.

"Characters that had equal cover billing with Luffy/a strawhat" would be a much more informative data point than "covers that have strawhats prominently and one guest in a single row" for showcasing who Oda has deemed important. Even with that criteria just a casual glance at my volumes shows you've missed several.
    Last edited by Robby; September 16th, 2018 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    Now I know that there'll be some debate whether Going Merry AND Sunny will get their own numbers but I don't think this is the case. Didn't Franky state that the spirit of Merry lives on in Sunny? And although not canon, Episode of Merry spelled it out that Merry and Sunny are inhabited by the same entity. The anime does fact check somethings with Oda, so I don't really have any reason to not believe that the anime in this instance. I know some things have been revealed by the anime before confirmed in the manga or SBS, such as Charlotte Kato being a member of the Big Mom family and not a homie like most people were assuming. So it only makes sense for the Klabautermann, Merry, and Sunny to have one entry (as #13).
    I don't know about this Episode of Merry, but I understand that Franky said that the Sunny inhiritted Merry's will. You see, "inhiritted will", this manga's main theme.

Franky's speech in this translation: https://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/439/11

In my opinion, it would take away a lot of Sunny's own identity if he was just the reincarnation of Merry... also, the whole idea that a ship dies if its "spine" is destroyed would be meaningless. Merry died... but his will was passed on to the next ship.

Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I don't know about this Episode of Merry, but I understand that Franky said that the Sunny inhiritted Merry's will. You see, "inhiritted will", this manga's main theme.

Franky's speech in this translation: https://www.mangareader.net/one-piece/439/11

In my opinion, it would take away a lot of Sunny's own identity if he was just the reincarnation of Merry... also, the whole idea that a ship dies if its "spine" is destroyed would be meaningless. Merry died... but his will was passed on to the next ship.
    Going off the VIZ translation it says "But that ship's brave soul... ...will be carried on by the Thousand Sunny!"

But there's also the other 2 points I brought up. 1) Episode of Merry spelling out that the spirit that possesses the Merry and Sunny are the same entity and 2) the early concept art shows the proto-Klabautermann as a member of the crew which gives us some insights toward how Oda's views the ship/spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by fapfapfap View Post
    Going off the VIZ translation it says "But that ship's brave soul... ...will be carried on by the Thousand Sunny!"

But there's also the other 2 points I brought up. 1) Episode of Merry spelling out that the spirit that possesses the Merry and Sunny are the same entity and 2) the early concept art shows the proto-Klabautermann as a member of the crew which gives us some insights toward how Oda's views the ship/spirit.
    I'd really like to see a comment about the original phrase in japanese, because it's possible the phrase is ambiguos for translation.

About the other points, (1) I won't really take the Episode of Merry as canon because we can never be sure, and (2) we don't know what was Oda's planning for the series when he conceptualized that proto-Klabautermann. For instance, I've read once in an interview that Oda didn't think Merry would become this important ship in the story. We should remember that One Piece was not planned to become this gigantic story, so maybe Merry would be just a temporary ship.
    Last edited by theackwardstation; September 16th, 2018 at 01:15 PM.

The problem is, you don't acknowledge when people have legitimate criticism with your theories. You can vouch for who you like, and you can argue against whomever you think won't fit. But you can't just stick your fingers in your ears and ignore rebuttals from those who disagree you, while still keeping on with the same "official" rankings as if no one said anything. And to complain about folks "refusing to back down" when that's really what you are doing, refusing to acknowledge anyone's arguments for characters you consider to be "not even in the running".

I point out how Oda chose to portray two characters, you respond with what amounts to mudslinging. I want to hear legitimate thoughts on why you think what I presented doesn't hurt Pudding's chances. I don't want pictures of pudding cups and carrot dishes without rhyme or reason to become the norm here. That's not conducive to real discussion, which is something I do take seriously, thank you very much.

And if you're tired of this kind of talk, why in the world are you still talking in here?
    I have literally posted before on stuff preventing Pudding from joining the crew, listing stuff for and against her and considering other potential routes for her character's role. Just because I've degraded to funposting (and I'm sure users who've read like any 3 of my posts know not to take me seriously at all) doesn't cancel that out. She's a character I like regardless of whether she joins, and while I want her to join and feel she is better suited for it than other "candidates", I don't quite expect her to. I don't bother arguing your points because you've made it clear in these threads you refuse to acknowledge other people's valid counterpoints, cherrypick, and make a massive deal about it when other people disagree. I'd rather just have this be a fun thread, but you do you.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

It really all just goes to Pudding defeating Carrot in uniqueness match.

As also, leaving Big Mom aside, Pudding is literally the most relevant character of the Big Mom Pirates, and the only one who's existence goes beyond local plotlines, having all Cracker, Snack, Katakuri and Perospero with their strength and bounties being the only things going for them, while Pudding's native tribe is a mystery by itself, Brook had a strange reaction to realizing she was a third-eye, and the well known much more mysterious ability behind it.

plus the fact, she was introduced a long ago.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Pudding also should have had more of an all-purpose psychic power DF.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Pudding also should have had more of an all-purpose psychic power DF.
    that would probably come from her third eye, what´s intriging its the result of her third-eye ability combined with her DF.

for example, there´s a giant straw hat in Mariejois, to picture Pudding capable of getting memories out of an object, well, that´s nothing a SH member can do, as for now.

Closed Thread

Thread Information