+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 910: Onwards to the Wano Country

Default Re: Chapter 910: Onwards to the Wano Country

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post

Very nice chapter even though I was surprised they're already here
    Loved the art from Wano especially how oda frew the environment
    I was glad to see some familiar crew interactions without any stress
    Also I know a lot of people are getting sick of sanji perving out but chopper being a baby is getting annoying. He seems more regressed than he was pre timeskip
    This is a nice review dude. I love how you are happy about this chapter and that makes me glad that more fans are reviewing this series. I should make a review of my own in a bit. You just gave me an idea.
    I'm NOT a doggy. I am a creature from another world.

I'm starting to think One Piece will go on another 10 years minimum. As someone else pointed out, we're just starting Wano, there is still Elbaf coming, the confrontation with Akainu and the World Government, Weevil, Blackbeard, Raftel and the following round the world trip to re-visit their old friends... Damn, when I started reading this manga, I never thought it would be a lifelong commitment.
    I have now known Luffy longer than most of my friends.

The chapter was alright, though, if uneventful.
    If you're going on a trip... where would you like to go?

I didn't think it was a great chapter, but it's really damn pretty so I'm willing to forgive. It also had some pretty cute moments.
    Working process.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitwit View Post
    This is a nice review dude. I love how you are happy about this chapter and that makes me glad that more fans are reviewing this series. I should make a review of my own in a bit. You just gave me an idea.
    Thanks a lot. Always glad to see people who enjoy these videos.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Yeah, Sanji's reaction was disappointing, even for post TS standards. I understand that Oda thinks his over the top perversion is hilariously funny, whatever. To each his own, I'm in no position to judge other people's humor. But I expected at least a toned down reaction specifically for Vivi, the princess who's basically an unofficial Nakama.

Really not asking for much here, just the first reaction showing him with a gentle smile, happy that Vivi is alright and well first and foremost. Oda can still play the nosebleed jokes and lecher faces on that semi-random hoe the crew met on Dressrosa (whatever her name was, the Robin clone / Rebecca's sister who also slept with Doflamingo).

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Yeah, Sanji's reaction was disappovinting, even for post TS standards. I understand that Oda thinks his over the top perversion is hilariously funny, whatever. To each his own, I'm in no position to judge other people's humor. But I expected at least a toned down reaction specifically for Vivi, the princess who's basically an unofficial Nakama.

Really not asking for much here, just the first reaction showing him with a gentle smile, happy that Vivi is alright and well first and foremost. Oda can still play the nosebleed jokes and lecher faces on that semi-random hoe the crew met on Dressrosa (whatever her name was, the Robin clone / Rebecca's sister who also slept with Doflamingo).
    Really? You expect sanji to be more sensitive towards vivi because she's an unofficial sh? Haveyou noticed how he acts towards official members

Quote Originally Posted by Dat_Mango View Post
    Really? You expect sanji to be more sensitive towards vivi because she's an unofficial sh? Haveyou noticed how he acts towards official members
    I expected him to a have a different initial reaction, absolutely.

For reference, this is how he encountered Nami and Robin after the timeskip:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/249572/6

He almost died from a nosebleed, but his first reaction to seeing them was normal. He's just smiling, happy to see them again after two years. This is all I would have asked for in Vivi's case as well. A reaction similiar to Luffy, Nami and Chopper - and if you absolutely have to, let the perversion kick in after.

Just don't make it seem like Vivi was a random bitch Sanji was into at some point, like Violet.

Default Re: Chapter 910 - Onwards to the Wano Country

Quote Originally Posted by Roronoa Zacho View Post
    We've seen quite some myth-creatures from japanese Folklore. Tanuki with huge balls incoming. ;)
    Oh, those balls aren't a myth.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by DynamiteShikoku View Post
    I guess the newspaper hint on mama coming to wano.
    If true, then perhaps Shanks reads this, and heads over to backup Luffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    That would be too repetitive in my opinion. Also it seems to be a mystical kind of dog and not a boar(Luffy is unsure but it was shown barking).
    I thought those beast statues were lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakisuaki View Post
    Sanji perversion got old 300 chapters ago Oda. It's okay, you can let go. Have him return to his usual self, it's fine. (And by that I mean, if he does another montage of him being a horndog to the island's women then I'm actually going to shoot myself).

This chapter was really Oda stretching his artistic side, I'm not sure how the hell they're going to manage this in the anime but I'm excited. The only thing I don't like is how cartoonish Wano appears to be. Last week it was that stupid mountain (which appears in this chapter as well, which probably means it'll play an important role), this week it's these hills that look straight out of WCI:

I'm not mad I'm just a little.... disappointed? I was very much looking forward to a more serious aesthetic following Whole Cake Island.
    That is Oppaiyama. It's at the heart of the island.

What are the odds that they reconstruct the newspaper and notice something (likely) relevant for them is happening with BM and Kaido?

Empress of Diabetes Miss Saturday's Avatar

Yeah, Sanji's reaction was disappointing, even for post TS standards. I understand that Oda thinks his over the top perversion is hilariously funny, whatever. To each his own, I'm in no position to judge other people's humor.
    I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought Sanji's bullshit was funny or charming or anything other than annoying at best. I don't know if this is just a thing Japanese school boys find funny or what.

And what I find most infuriating is that this whole "year of Sanji"/wedding stuff could have been a real game changer for him akin to Robin in Enies Lobby. Being forced to abandon his friends for a woman, marrying her, her trying to kill him and then saving her anyway should have changed him as a character. He could have had growth (growth which he should have had after spending time with the nakama) ... but nope. Back to the same ol' bullshit.
    Last edited by Miss Saturday; July 7th, 2018 at 02:12 PM.

Sanji is the reason I don't want the last nakama to be female.

Sanji's awesome! Haters gonna hate!
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I expected him to a have a different initial reaction, absolutely.

For reference, this is how he encountered Nami and Robin after the timeskip:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/249572/6

He almost died from a nosebleed, but his first reaction to seeing them was normal. He's just smiling, happy to see them again after two years. This is all I would have asked for in Vivi's case as well. A reaction similiar to Luffy, Nami and Chopper - and if you absolutely have to, let the perversion kick in after.

Just don't make it seem like Vivi was a random bitch Sanji was into at some point, like Violet.
    I don't think these two situations are exactly the same. In that chapter, Sanji wasn't just reuniting with Nami and Robin, he also saw Usopp, Franky, and Brook too at first. When he focused on Nami and Robin, instant nosebleed. Plus I don't really think people usually react to a picture the same way they react to a person in front of them.

I've never been a fan of Sanji's lovestruck gags, but to me this chapter was par for the course when it came to that; nothing particularly egregious.

Spoiler:

Just imagine on the previous day to the final meeting of the Strawhats after the timeskipt, quoted above by Jabra, Sanji watches in a newspaper a picture of Nami and Robin, after 2 years of not seeing them... What would it be his reaction? Ooooobviously nosebleed. And it's consistent with the fact that the next day he makes the smile Jabra quoted. So in the end, it's the same old Sanji back in Sabadoy and now.

To me it was funny when Sanji went to fishmen island and his life was in danger because of nosebleed. But that was part of a plot line. Now I find it boring, but not anoying.

Look it's sanji, the only difference from back then to now is oda has been making his "lovestruck" faces increasingly more terrifying. Like if it was just sanji smiling with heart eyes I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem but when he starts resembling titans from AOT it wears out easier.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Look it's sanji, the only difference from back then to now is oda has been making his "lovestruck" faces increasingly more terrifying. Like if it was just sanji smiling with heart eyes I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem but when he starts resembling titans from AOT it wears out easier.
    THAT.

2 examples of post time skip Sanji gag that worked quite well:
    - When the ship was sailing under the sea and danger came Sanji made a roll call which only featured Nami and Robin
    - Sanji saving Tashigi and not wanting the G5 men to cheer for him,
    But the Ugly face gag seems to be getting more and more common. Those are funny faces in a sense, but as many pointed out, makes us feel a bit creeped out by Sanji.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    should have changed him as a character. He could have had growth (growth which he should have had after spending time with the nakama) ... but nope. Back to the same ol' bullshit.
    Change into what exactly?

Not sure if i follow the logic here.

Honestly, you're all deluding yourselves if you thought that Sanji wasn't gonna be a perv anymore

I feel bad for saying that I actually like Sanji's pervert gag.
    It's a core part of his character. Taking it away will be akin to taking away Zoro's sense of direction and Nami's being greedy of money, Brook's skull joke etc
    Of course, I do agree that it can be annoying when it's overdone & inappropriate.
    The whole situation with Pudding didn't do him much favour & make him seem like an idiot. I'm not even going to talk about the Fishman Island incident.

Speaking of Sanji's character, I kinda miss his Mr. Prince persona. I really like him during the Water 7 arc where he infiltrated the sea train. He hasn't done much undercover work lately...
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    So we're going down this rabbit hole again.

The problem with Sanji's pervert gag is not that it isn't funny at all, but that Oda tends to go too over-the-top with it until it reaches highly annoying levels. The much disliked nosebleed gag is a prime example of that. But when Oda is being more clever about it, it can be pretty hilarious. His whole fight with Mr. 2 is a good example of that. Also, I always loved this joke right here:

Spoiler:
    He looks so shaken and concerned about it on that last panel :D

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information