+ Reply to Thread
Page 142 of 150 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 2987

Thread: Vivre Card: One Piece Visual Dictionary

Default Re: Vivre Card: One Piece Visual Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    I'd say slim odds. So far, character numbers are assigned based on actual, unshadowed appearances, not namedrops, so discounting the one time the Face Hag borrowed his appearance, there's no space for him.

Second point is the sheer lack of art available for him. Chapter 0 wasn't coloured when panels from it were used for Roger's original card, and unlike the recent chapters they're struggling to keep up with, the colouring team had had more than a decade to do that one if they'd wanted to. The Strong World volume cover only shows him with his back turned, which isn't great centerpiece art for a card, and I can't see any other fully-coloured Oda drawings of him.

In short, the pieces used to put together a card for any other character just aren't there for Shiki at the minute. Maybe an EX slot based on his shapeshifter cameo as an absolute best case scenario.
    The main way I could see Shiki receiving a Vivre Card is if he receives a full appearance in a God Valley flashback someday.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    your assumption that a female character must have traditionally feminine personality attributes to validate being a woman,
    I *DON'T* think that. That's the entire reason I don't understand why everyone wants him to switch.

The running message I'm getting from the lot of you is that "it will be better for him if he accepts that he's actually a girl, that's the obvious end of his character arc."

I am asking what all of you think making a switch would actual entail, what it would it do, what would actually change.

If you don't care about traditional gender roles and traditional gender identity, if you don't care if he acts like a traditional woman or a traditional man, then... what does it matter what he wants to be?

Why the constant insistence that, at the end of the day, he's going to decide he's a girl after all. What does that even mean?

I'm not denying that may end up being exactly what Oda does. And if Yamato DOES decide he's a girl instead, that's fine, whatever he's happy with. But until that comes, why the insistence that it must?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'd been on the fence for a super long time when it comes to Yamato's gender, but regardless of my opinion I figured I'd make the statement that whatever pronoun I think is accurate it's not a judgement against anyone who disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Remember that time the vivre cards labelled the character SHilliew because that's what first appeared in the manga, and then a couple weeks later in the actual manga Oda called him Shiryu?
    That's way different from depicting Yamato's gender wrong, though.
    Due to the nature of Japanese -> English transcriptions mistakes happen all the time and it's hard for native Japanese speakers who aren't fluent English speakers (one of the most difficult combinations of languages to master) to catch it since it still sounds right to them when read out loud.

Or when they said Shanks was an Emperor in chapter 1?
    Is that one of those things that was accurate in Oda's head at the time before he possibly retconned it, or did they put that in after the facts were settled?

Remember that time the databooks said Sabo was dead?

The outside material is prone to mistakes, or even in some cases, intentional misdirection.
    There's definitely been some misdirection, but why would they intentionally misgender Yamato in the Vivre Card twice?
    "Oni Princess" is definitively female.

There's just been a whole bunch of stuff lately that really calls into question what Oda, Shueisha and Toei are doing if the plan all along had been for Yamato's gender identity to be male.

Episode 989 cut a line from Sasaki that Stephen translated as referring to Yamato using a male pronoun.

Yamato was just featured in a "girl power"-style One Piece promo video celebrating chapter 1000, very unsubtly depicted as a strong woman for female readers to relate to/look up to

Then the Vivre Card leaks came out.
    These things all happened back to back, that's a lot of borderline transphobic mistakes for one brand to make in a week if Yamato was/still is intended to be male.

I'm not saying it's totally impossible but there would need to be a course correction quick with some kind of public statement offering clarification.

I *DON'T* think that. That's the entire reason I don't understand why everyone wants him to switch.

The running message I'm getting from the lot of you is that "it will be better for him if he accepts that he's actually a girl, that's the obvious end of his character arc."

I am asking what all of you think making a switch would actual entail, what it would it do, what would actually change.

If you don't care about traditional gender roles and traditional gender identity, if you don't care if he acts like a traditional woman or a traditional man, then... what does it matter what he wants to be?

Why the constant insistence that, at the end of the day, he's going to decide he's a girl after all. What does that even mean?

I'm not denying that may end up being exactly what Oda does. And if Yamato DOES decide he's a girl instead, that's fine, whatever he's happy with. But until that comes, why the insistence that it must?
    I'm saying I don't think any switch needs to be made because I already think Yamato is female. I think the very notion that Yamato views being a man as part of her identity rather than part of a performance is invented by the western fanbase.

I'm saying, from my perspective, there won't be a moment where Yamato decides to be a woman because she's already a woman. It's the reason why I have no problems referring to Yamato as female.

And it's good you don't feel that way. I only responded because that's the way it read when you said Yamato needs to star wearing frilly dresses and makeup in order to be a woman.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I'd been on the fence for a super long time when it comes to Yamato's gender, but regardless of my opinion I figured I'd make the statement that whatever pronoun I think is accurate it's not a judgement against anyone who disagrees.

Due to the nature of Japanese -> English transcriptions mistakes happen all the time and it's hard for native Japanese speakers who aren't fluent English speakers (one of the most difficult combinations of languages to master) to catch it since it still sounds right to them when read out loud.

Is that one of those things that was accurate in Oda's head at the time before he possibly retconned it, or did they put that in after the facts were settled?

There's definitely been some misdirection, but why would they intentionally misgender Yamato in the Vivre Card twice?

There's just been a whole bunch of stuff lately that really calls into question what Oda, Shueisha and Toei are doing if the plan all along had been for Yamato's gender identity to be male.

Episode 989 cut a line from Sasaki that Stephen translated as referring to Yamato using a male pronoun.

Yamato was just featured in a "girl power"-style One Piece promo video celebrating chapter 1000, very unsubtly depicted as a strong woman for female readers to relate to/look up to

These things all happened back to back, that's a lot of borderline transphobic mistakes for one brand to make in a week if Yamato was/still is intended to be male.

I'm not saying it's totally impossible but there would need to be a course correction quick with some kind of public statement offering clarification.
    I think you phrased this very well and this is generally what I mean when I say I don't think Oda intended to make any statement on gender or to make gender identity as it is viewed in the west an intrinsic part f Yamato's identity or character arc. 'Becoming a man' is framed as more of a quirk or byproduct of choosing to be Oden. Importantly, it's framed as a choice or a willful act. It isn't really presented as a personal revelation about an intrinsic aspect of Yamato's identity.

Yamato uses 'boku' as a pronoun, which says more about her personality than it does anything about her gender.

The only mystery is why Kaido and the Beast Pirates refer to Yamato as a son, but the fact that Kaido respects nothing about Yamato's wishes or desires suggests it has nothing to do with Yamato's personal gender identity. If Kaido refers to Yamato as his son, you can bet it's for selfish reasons.

Other characters and ancillary material have not used male third person pronouns to refer to Yamato. Some have been translated that way (like Luffy calling Yamato 'he') based on the perceived context that Yamato is identifying as a man. And I think all of this supplemental / ancillary material suggests this is a faulty underlying assumption.

All of this is why I don't think Yamato needs to have some moment where she changes and decides to be a woman because I don't get the impression Oda envisions Yamato to be a man in any sense beyond the Oden performance.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

I've all but avoided this topic, to me it doesn't really matter, but i saw this earlier on Reddit regarding the response of Artur aka Library of Ohara's response to this - and he seems to be pretty conclusive now Yamato's a female

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co...ds_to_yamatos/

His case seems to be pretty strong, but perhaps someone may have an equally compelling case for the opposite, i dunno.
    I'm not saying anything further on this, far too much controversy.

It matters that she chose to be Oden... that's a limitation of her character...
    Oden had a wish he wanted to achieve... open Wano by the time Joy Boy returns...
    Yamato is fighting for Wano... as Oden.... she chose to be Oden...
    Once that is done she has to drop the Oden identity... what I've seen so far makes me think that she chose to be Oden first... not to be a man first...

I see her as two characters - Oden and Yamato...
    One wants to free Wano - the other wants to leave Wano and be free
    As Oden she calls herself a man, as Yamato... we don't know yet... probably woman... due to her introductions box and now Vivre Card...

We will see what happens once she drops her Oden identity... I think as Yamato she will be a woman... but maybe not... we'll see.

It's sad to see how this character is used by the community...

"There will be an answer, let it be."

As per Arthr post, I genuinely hope no one will bother the voice actress or Oda because that can be an embarrassment to the community as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    I'm not saying anything further on this, far too much controversy.
    Yeah, I get very nervous talking about this here because of how emotionally attached people are to their views on the topic.

Back at main topic, is there a reason only one Ex Card side has been scanned until now?
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    Carrot sneaked on the Sunny when they left Zou, not asking or requesting anyone. IF Carrot is going to join, I expect something like that, with the crew ready to leave Wano, all of them beginning to party for new nakama Yamato and then "wha-t?! Carrot is near Luffy

Rayleigh92 is right. When will we learn which characters are featured in the EX Card for Wano 4 and 5, Skypiea 5 and Davy Back Fight ?

The things is, in my point of view, that while it's our place as readers to ponder about the future of the story, it's not out place as actual people to judge someone's way of life like that. It's dismissive and disrespectful every time.

Every non-binary person has to deal with understanding that they're slighty so different than the majority and that the majority of people can create really hostile environments for them, so, even if Yamato is still on that path he should be treated by the way he prefers now. We may wonder if his gender is connected to him idolizing Oden and wanting to be just like him in every way and that in the aftermath of the arc he'll leave behind this part of his life and decide to go by female pronouns again.
    That doesn't mean he has to prove now, behind shadow of doubt that he's a man. Nor are nicknames given to him by people he hates a good way to decide how to treat him. If you saw Lucci walking down the street would you call him Pidgeon-bastard, like Luffy does? Cause I don't think he would like it.

And although every time there's someone new coming into the discussion so old points are brough up, there are plenty of regular members that have seen, read, and responded to trans fans of One Piece, sharing something of their personal life and experiences regarding this issue and they seem unable to conect. At some point we all stop talking about the series only and start adding something more personal. When a strong figure, literaly and figuratively, like Yamato shows up claiming who he his proudly, something many people can't do in real life due to possible future attacks of any kind (psycological of physical), and said choice is respected by a literal ogre/monster that he's facing in mortal combat, but he's still questioned on his intentions, it's horrible and it's a weird fucking hill to die on.

I bet alot of people reading this post don't know my gender, and if I say I prefer female pronouns you'll use them, if I say I prefer male pronouns you'll use them, and if I say I prefer They/Them, you'll use them, with no judgment or problem. Yet when a character does it he must be judged and analyzed to see if he's telling the truth.

It also shows a bit of a blind spot.
    So Yamato decided to be a man because he wanted to be like Oden, despite him not copying his clothing or hairstyle, nor his mannerisms or accent, or even his fighting style. Why couldn't he have discovered himself instead? He started trying to be Oden but he didn't gravitate towards using two swords but to his pronouns, he found it more comfortable fighting with his father fighting style, something he inherited, but more comfortable being a He.
    Sure, west and east differences, and rose of versailles reference, and guessing the authors intention, but in the end Oda feels like the one with the healthiest aproach. He has no problems showing Yamato was considered and could still be seen as a girl/woman but now presents himself as man, and so people now treat him as a man, despite what they may have done in the past or assumed at first sight.

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    Just a guess, and do forgive me for jumping immediately into Yams4Nakama, but it's probably because Yamato is more likely to get an updated card later on than King is.

The fact that King isn't a bog-standard human has been clear from his introduction back in Act II (I think), so they've know they'd have to address it for quite some time, and that, in all likelihood, this would be the only card for them to do so on, so I'd expect them to have prepared that reveal in advance. Furthermore, any info regarding the Lunarians on King's card could be revealed in simple text, without the need for accompanying artwork beyond just panels of King himself.

By contrast, Yamato only revealed that he had a Devil Fruit at all during his brief skirmish with Sasaki & Co., which was much more recent, and we only got the full reveal a couple of chapters ago. Even if they knew the fruit's name and powerset in advance, as I'm sure they did, there wasn't any artwork for his hybrid form until the past couple of chapters - they wouldn't have been able to do much more than give the name, some relevant text, and maybe a concept sketch or two. So, if they had reason to think Yams might get a second card in the future (likely due to joining the Strawhats), they might have been inclined to save his DF until they had art to go along with it.
    That does make sense. I don't know if this is similar, but Law's card does now acknowledge that he is a member of the D. clan, where as his first card from the Supernova pack didn't. Even though the databook was announced during Levely arc and I don't know how old the Dressrosa arc was by then.

On another note, Zoro's card still lists him as only possessing Armament and Observation Haki, even though on Luffy's new card there is an image of him attacking Kaido with a CH infused punch, which takes place after Zoro attacks him using his new Kyutoryu technique. I don't know if it's not listed on there because it's speculation on Kaido's part or because in the chapter Zoro uses it, his response to Kaido asking him if he can use was that "he didn't know what he was talking about."?

Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    Here is some other info mainly Haki and Devil Fruit related:

All Stars
    • All three can use Armament and Observation Haki.
    Yamato
    • Can use Armament and Observation Haki.
    Eustass Kid
    • Devil Fruit: Jiki Jiki no Mi (Actually named in Volume 99's SBS)
    • Can use all three types of Haki.
    Killer
    Hawkins
    Scratchmen Apoo
    • Devil Fruit: Oto Oto no Mi
    X Drake
    This is an ongoing issue with the series, but it's weird that all these Observation Haki users barely dodge.
    Regardless of that, interesting.

Correction by Eiichiro Oda staff Account

Hitetsu card

Wrong "58 years old"
    Correct "81 years old"

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Well, that's quite a goof-up. But it still makes the possibility of him being Sukiyaki a chance.

He would've been 22 when Oden was born..

Interesting...
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Because Yamato's SEX is female. No one has argued otherwise. The question is what is his GENDER, what is his personal identity, what is it he feels comfortable as? He is living AS a man.

Rose of Versailles and Utena don't try to pretend their leads are male at all. But both completely roll with the "living as a man, so treat me like it" part of it. Once you have the context of the thing, you can go "Girl, but treat her like a man." They went with the *gender* they want, the role in society, how they wanted to be treated. Those characters aren't quite trans (Tho Utena is gay) where they;re trapped in their bodies and NEED to be something else physically, , but they act and function and think and want to be treated as men in their daily lives.

LGBT isn't one size fits all, there's a lot of range and nuance and variance from person to person.

"Girl acts like a man" is still easier to accept socially than "Girl is transitioned to man" because society is way behind on this, so go with the softer, easier to sell version for a mainstream market of 12 year old boys.

Also, given that we haven't seen "Oni Princess" in the actual manga, where did that come from? Kaidou? The marines? Yamato himself?

Or is it a case like CHoppers "Cotton Candy Lover" where it doesn't actually fit at all, it's just initial appearances?

Again, "market the character like a girl because that's much easier, but let him be a man in the story for anyone really paying attention."

Given the back and forth shitshow a *dedicated forum* has had for a YEAR, I don't blame marketing for going the easy route.

Because declaring he's a man to the world at large is just confusing without the follow up. They might well change the approach after anime viewers have had a year to get used to it. Or not.

Taking that track allows them to say "woman", and in story have Yamato say "man." Then everyone wins, if you want it to just be a weird quirk that girl has, or if you want to take it as an actual LGBT rep. Without completely setting a foot down it avoids some issues. (While creating others.)

Or Yamato just denounces the whole thing four months from now and we have an actual official *canon* answer at the source.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    So Yamato decided to be a man because he wanted to be like Oden, despite him not copying his clothing or hairstyle, nor his mannerisms or accent, or even his fighting style. Why couldn't he have discovered himself instead? He started trying to be Oden but he didn't gravitate towards using two swords but to his pronouns, he found it more comfortable fighting with his father fighting style, something he inherited, but more comfortable being a He.
    Sure, west and east differences, and rose of versailles reference, and guessing the authors intention, but in the end Oda feels like the one with the healthiest aproach. He has no problems showing Yamato was considered and could still be seen as a girl/woman but now presents himself as man, and so people now treat him as a man, despite what they may have done in the past or assumed at first sight.
    THIS.
    Last edited by Robby; September 2nd, 2021 at 06:52 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So with tenguyama card error age fix from 58 to 81 he is most likely sukiyaki

Were Oda up to to the task ( proooobably not imo* ) and/or even had the intention of doing so ( in Yamato's case, at least, which I doubt in this instance ), it just goes to show how next to impossible it'd be for an author to engage in some semblance of nuanced exploration of the topic of gender fluidity and roles; you've got many on both sides of the aisle in this dumpster fire of controversy grasping for definitive statements of some kind or another for/against their beliefs going in. There's little room for sincere, genuine discussion, it's all boils down to the typical ALL-OR-NOTHING-MY-WORLDVIEW-IS-SUPREME-AND-INFALLIBLE mentality that seems to be so prevalent in....well, every walk and aspect of life in modern society nowadays.

* It's already been touched upon, but I suppose I'll chime in: there is something to be said for cultural differences and context. Lest we forget, this was the author who gave us Luffy in blackface during the Foxy arc. And how long now has there been talk related to Oda's seeming misogynistic attitudes towards women in the One Piece narrative. More to the point, as has already been pointed, Oda's previous takes on LGBT characters have been long available....for better or worse. And I can certainly how some in the LGBT community might not be amused or willing to overlook these portrayals...I don' think any of us, whatever one's politics or what have you, couldn't honestly fathom as to why, at the very least, despite Oda's intentions or any positives inherent in said characters.

Mind you, I'm not saying this excuses Oda from any and all criticism, with respect to the whole controversy surrounding Yamato's gender or any other topic...but it should add some perspective. Simply put, I think Western audiences who were looking to Yamato as anything resembling some serious, well-researched attempt on Oda's part to specifically champion Trans causes in particular were only setting themselves for disappointment. That's not to say Oda perhaps didn't have good ( if ill-informed, relatively speaking ) intentions, or that he doesn't intend to go further in-depth on the topic -- I fully believe we'll we'll see Oda present the flipside to Kiku's case, ie a biologically female character with the "heart" of a man soon enough -- but people nonetheless do need to temper their expectations imo when it comes to One Piece....and Japanese manga in general, imo.

Just saying: by this point, ( longtime ) One Piece readers should've have a good idea as to what to expect, what Oda's general views boil down to, and how he operates; again, for better or worse.

And lastly, for the record, lest people think I'm just singling out the pro-Yamato-is-trans crowd here, let me just say this: anyone from the genuinely transphobic camps looking to exploit recent reveals and info to champion their own agenda should probably look elsewhere themselves. However relatively misguided or poor his execution may be, whatever his intentions so far as Yamato or the One Piece narrative at large is concerned...I think anyone at this point can more or less confidently deduce Oda's overall general opinion on the topic of gender fluidity and what all.

A lot with the problems regarding Yamato come from people placing their own bias on the character rather than waiting for his arc to unfold.

I always found interesting that he’s called “Kaido’s daughter” in the narration box and volume openings, and that always carried some weight about the author’s intentions. I still call him “he” because he’s still refered that way by himself, but I never discarded the possibility of his character arc leading him to throw the Oden persona away at some point.

(BTW, the same applies to his joining chances. The possibility is still open, but lately I see the character moving to another direction)
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information