+ Reply to Thread
Page 220 of 234 FirstFirst ... 120 170 210 218 219 220 221 222 230 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,400 of 4679

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

  1. #4381
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    My word, he's actually trying to do actual atonement.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    People make it sound like he was constantly hitting her. But I dunno. Of course hitting her once is awful. Maybe it'll be more clear what happened when they actually talk about Touya. I'm still curious how the kids were becoming more like Endeavor when we saw everyone but Shouto playing.

    The quirk marriage thing did sound like a weird outdated thing. But then we got a brief glimpse of Endeavor seeming to know her favorite flowers or something. And Rei reflecting on it.
    Rather than constantly hitting her (which we don't know about), it was more than anything the fact that he essentially force-married her, then forced several babies on her, which you can see as a form of rape if she (apparently) did not agree to that marriage at all. And rape is worse than hitting.

  2. #4382
    Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ecuador

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Some guy convinces your family that you should get married. Turns out he's focused on getting a gifted child and doesn't care much for you or the "failures". When the gifted child is born, he torutures him with his special training. If anyone tries to intervene he gets physically aggresive. At some point one son died.

    The thing is, Todoroki's mom has no reason for forgiving Endeavor. Also no reason to keep in contact with him. He was never part of the family from everyone's perspective. They all have dealt/are dealing with it in their own ways, and that includes just getting over him. Endeavor's atonement should not override the decision of those who don't want to be associated with him anymore.
    I hate quacks.

  3. #4383

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    That is true, but I don't think there's any actual indication that Rei is unwilling to forgive Endeavor or that she doesn't want to be associated with him in any way. She of course can't see him right now, but that's a medical prescription for her mental health. If she overcomes her trauma, maybe she'd like to stay in contact with him for whatever reason. I mean, she was the one speaking out for him back in the pro hero arc.

  4. #4384
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    That is true, but I don't think there's any actual indication that Rei is unwilling to forgive Endeavor or that she doesn't want to be associated with him in any way. She of course can't see him right now, but that's a medical prescription for her mental health. If she overcomes her trauma, maybe she'd like to stay in contact with him for whatever reason. I mean, she was the one speaking out for him back in the pro hero arc.
    I will hate if they make them friends or partners again. I have no positive feelings about them developing a close bond.



  5. #4385

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Alot of points but I just want to point it out for what it is.
    This redemption wasn't planned at all from his very first introduction.
    If it was, there would be hints or facets of decency in Endeavor.
    Welp just like the many things in this manga that weren't .

    Wow its like you don't even read this manga and this manga and this was fairly early on after his introduction. Just goes to show that people are so bitter about this manga's direction that they outright refuse to admit Hori had planned and set things up.

  6. #4386

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    I personally don't care if Hori planned this earlier on or not.

  7. #4387

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    I'll laugh my ass off if Bakugou's hero name is Best Blast/Best Explosion. It just seems like such a hilarious nod to how much he hated being under Best Jeanist.

    As for the Endeavor arc, I have my mixed feelings for personal reasons. I actually don't mind learning more about Endeavor because I have to wonder where he got this obsession with surpassing All Might from. Was he abused as a child, too? It'd be a nice thematic tie to show the repetition of trauma across generations. Endeavor is forced by his parents to strive to be the best and even seek out a Quirk Marriage. He tries to make it work for real but something eats away at him until he becomes neglecting of his family and Rei finally snaps. Either way, I do like seeing Endeavor grovel. Seeing such a brick wall of a personality crumble is really satisfying. Now, let's see how he puts himself back together.
    Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter) | Gender bender is love! Gender bender is life!
    Julie | She/Her | Pansexual

  8. #4388

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kunt View Post
    https://mangabeast.com/manga/Boku-No...a/0093-005.png
    Wow its like you don't even read this manga and this manga and this was fairly early on after his introduction. Just goes to show that people are so bitter about this manga's direction that they outright refuse to admit Hori had planned and set things up.
    This was at Kamino. I'm pretty sure at that point Horikoshi had already started to expand the story beyond its original scope.

  9. #4389

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    This was at Kamino. I'm pretty sure at that point Horikoshi had already started to expand the story beyond its original scope.
    What was the original scope? Because he said he originally was going to habe the story end at 30 volumes last year there's no way he would have planned to expand it during its 11th volume.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I personally don't care if Hori planned this earlier on or not.
    It doesn't really matter I'm just questioning where the logic even steems from.

  10. #4390
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    People make it sound like he was constantly hitting her. But I dunno. Of course hitting her once is awful. Maybe it'll be more clear what happened when they actually talk about Touya. I'm still curious how the kids were becoming more like Endeavor when we saw everyone but Shouto playing.

    The quirk marriage thing did sound like a weird outdated thing. But then we got a brief glimpse of Endeavor seeming to know her favorite flowers or something. And Rei reflecting on it.

    I dunno what Horikoshi plans to do. But I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for Endeavor to try. But man.the hero works in Japan will be a wreck once everything is aired. Endeavour being awful for years, Hawks possibly killing the number 3. And then a bunch of randos in league with PLF.
    Whether Endeavor constantly abused his wife or not is irrelevant to me considering what we already from the evidence other posters have shown/referenced. Although I hope that my comments don't make me sound like I'm spreading conjecture that the abuse was constant or that Endeavor doesn't deserve a redemption arc because I've said a few times that I like it a lot so far.

    I love that Horikoshi had the balls to tackle an abuser redemption arc. Before reading this manga I was on the fence as an aspiring comic book creator if it would ever be responsible for me to ever attempt something like that and do it justice. Deep down, I've always tried to see the best in people and am a sap for stories the most awful characters/people end up learning to take responsibility for their actions and become good people.

    I'm only trying to say that because I love well written redemption arcs and how Horikoshi's been doing such a thoughtful job at writing Endeavor's redemption arc that I would absolutely LOATHE if it ever got watered down into a generic "everyone forgives and loves their emotional/physical abusers now and gets back together again because they do one or two nice things" story, especially in the span of only two-three years max if the series only covers high school and we're about to finish the first year.

    But I will say this though.

    You don't often have a reflex like throwing boiling water at your kid's face who is super short and only looks similar to your abusive spouse because one half of their hair is the same color if there is not some sort of abusive behavior pattern or constant risk in your mind while being around your abusive spouse.

    So forgive me if I doubt that getting yelled at and slapped as an adult only once, as awful and dealbreaking as that already is for a relationship, is enough to make you psychologically vulnerable enough to need to be put in a mental hospital for years unless you've been coincidentally traumatized by previous abusive relatives/friends/lovers before. And that's not even mentioning that if they know and saw her kids get abused, not just themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    God damn it, Count, I am not following the thread (or the manga) closely, but your rhetoric is always so damn good reading your posts is worthy even if I am not on par of the whole discussion. Just wanted to point that out.
    Thank you. I don't post often anymore so I really appreciate that. Especially since you often give thoughtful comments yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I will hate if they make them friends or partners again. I have no positive feelings about them developing a close bond.
    I would prefer them not developing a close bond at all, but written gradually and properly I would still consider becoming friends to be a lot more thoughtful for an abuser redemption arc resolution than most other stories that try to tackle this sort of thing (God, I don't have the words to express how much I dislike Disney-Pixar's Coco's third act on both a creative and ethical level).
    Last edited by Count Mario; November 30th, 2019 at 11:15 AM.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  11. #4391

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kunt View Post
    What was the original scope? Because he said he originally was going to habe the story end at 30 volumes last year there's no way he would have planned to expand it during its 11th volume.
    He said he decided to make the story last 30 volumes after the decision to extend the story was made (but that 30 volumes wouldn't be nearly enough now). This is just my speculation, but I think the original idea was 10 volumes and ending it with a bigger battle against AfO in Kamino. That might be where he's pulling that 'ending idea' for the movie from, too, since Nine is pretty much diet AfO.

    In any case, you don't just plan a story to be so long from the beginning, specially not in WSJ where it could get easily axed. Only reason MHA can go on for so long is because it's a massive hit, and obviously Horikoshi didn't know that in the planning stage.

  12. #4392
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    I couldn't give 2 shits about the specifics of the abuse. As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter that it didn't seem that bad what matters is that the trauma was so great she indeed in a mental ward and has trouble seeing her children face because they vaguely reminds her of her abuser.

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I would prefer them not developing a close bond at all, but written gradually and properly I would still consider becoming friends to be a lot more thoughtful for an abuser redemption arc resolution than most other stories that try to tackle this sort of thing (God, I don't have the words to express how much I dislike Disney-Pixar's Coco's third act on both a creative and ethical level).
    Anything but a functional as relation would be too much for me. It has nothing to do with whether Flamebeard become a good person or not. One of the biggest thing about the whole domestic abuse thing is managing to get out of that relationship despite seeing the most human aspect of your abuser or remorse. So the whole let's make a bond because you got better will always irks me and reminds me of the most insidious aspect of the subject.

    I can't really remember the third arc being that bad ethically(but I erase a good chunk of the movie from my mind due to wated potential). What was that awful? The "Twist villain" or the undermining of the whole message of the movie due to why the hero got killed?



  13. #4393

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Sengokusgoat View Post
    He said he decided to make the story last 30 volumes after the decision to extend the story was made (but that 30 volumes wouldn't be nearly enough now). This is just my speculation, but I think the original idea was 10 volumes and ending it with a bigger battle against AfO in Kamino. That might be where he's pulling that 'ending idea' for the movie from, too, since Nine is pretty much diet AfO.

    In any case, you don't just plan a story to be so long from the beginning, specially not in WSJ where it could get easily axed. Only reason MHA can go on for so long is because it's a massive hit, and obviously Horikoshi didn't know that in the planning stage.


    His original plan was 30 volumes in fact the whole point of Kamino was to set it up as a final battle when it really wasnt.

  14. #4394

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Whether Endeavor constantly abused his wife or not is irrelevant to me considering what we already from the evidence other posters have shown/referenced. Although I hope that my comments don't make me sound like I'm spreading conjecture that the abuse was constant or that Endeavor doesn't deserve a redemption arc because I've said a few times that I like it a lot so far.

    I love that Horikoshi had the balls to tackle an abuser redemption arc. Before reading this manga I was on the fence as an aspiring comic book creator if it would ever be responsible for me to ever attempt something like that and do it justice. Deep down, I've always tried to see the best in people and am a sap for stories the most awful characters/people end up learning to take responsibility for their actions and become good people.

    I'm only trying to say that because I love well written redemption arcs and how Horikoshi's been doing such a thoughtful job at writing Endeavor's redemption arc that I would absolutely LOATHE if it ever got watered down into a generic "everyone forgives and loves their emotional/physical abusers now and gets back together again because they do one or two nice things" story, especially in the span of only two-three years max if the series only covers high school and we're about to finish the first year.

    But I will say this though.

    You don't often have a reflex like throwing boiling water at your kid's face who is super short and only looks similar to your abusive spouse because one half of their hair is the same color if there is not some sort of abusive behavior pattern or constant risk in your mind while being around your abusive spouse.

    So forgive me if I doubt that getting yelled at and slapped as an adult only once, as awful and dealbreaking as that already is for a relationship, is enough to make you psychologically vulnerable enough to need to be put in a mental hospital for years unless you've been coincidentally traumatized by previous abusive relatives/friends/lovers before. And that's not even mentioning that if they know and saw her kids get abused, not just themselves.


    Thank you. I don't post often anymore so I really appreciate that. Especially since you often give thoughtful comments yourself.


    I would prefer them not developing a close bond at all, but written gradually and properly I would still consider becoming friends to be a lot more thoughtful for an abuser redemption arc resolution than most other stories that try to tackle this sort of thing (God, I don't have the words to express how much I dislike Disney-Pixar's Coco's third act on both a creative and ethical level).
    Yeah I suppose you're right about Rei's reaction. For me the Todoroki drama isn't really a point I have much care about or investment in. Maybe it's just the way those flashbacks from Shouto's POV were done. Coupled with Rei apparently having some sort of non negative thoughts about Endeavor that make it all a bit weird. Maybe eventually Horikoshi will flesh out that relationship more if Dabi is Todoroki is a thing. Maybe Endeavor hadn't fully become obsessed with this baby idea until a few years into the marriage. I mean maybe they had at least 4 good years before the eldest kid's quirk showed up. Who knows.

    Also if the story was to maybe end by Kamino but Horikoshi realized he needed to keep going the redemption thing maybe wasn't planned until shortly after the arc. Mostly I'm kinda surprised how super against Endeavor trying to be better folks are. I thought most people liked anime bad guys trying to do good at least. Maybe this scenario is too close to home for people.

  15. #4395
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I couldn't give 2 shits about the specifics of the abuse. As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter that it didn't seem that bad what matters is that the trauma was so great she indeed in a mental ward and has trouble seeing her children face because they vaguely reminds her of her abuser.
    Agreed.

    Anything but a functional as relation would be too much for me. It has nothing to do with whether Flamebeard become a good person or not. One of the biggest thing about the whole domestic abuse thing is managing to get out of that relationship despite seeing the most human aspect of your abuser or remorse. So the whole let's make a bond because you got better will always irks me and reminds me of the most insidious aspect of the subject.
    I totally get that. It's why I would prefer them only having brief contact, or maybe never meet at all.

    I can't really remember the third arc being that bad ethically(but I erase a good chunk of the movie from my mind due to wasted potential). What was that awful? The "Twist villain" or the undermining of the whole message of the movie due to why the hero got killed?
    The real question to ask is what I actually did like in that third act in all honesty. It's not that Coco's third act is awful so much as being a predictable mediocre resolution to the complex conflicts and themes the movie introduced. The exact type of story playing it safe I expect from direct-to-DVD animated kids movie. Wasted potential, like you said.

    Spoiler:
    - The twist villain because Disney's too scared to ever have protagonists be related by blood to awful people,

    - The family twist reveal that I called in less than thirty seconds early when Hector first showed up,

    - The cliche third act focusing on a Scooby-Doo murder mystery chase plot where the bad guy gets caught because he brags about his crimes like an idiot while the intercom is on rather than focusing on Miguel's nuanced conflict between choosing his dreams or family

    - The great grandparents getting back together even though Hector left his family and only came back because he felt sorry for himself one day.

    That last part especially rubs me the wrong way because it reminds me of my parents' relationship and seems like the naive type of thought a kid who got abandoned by their parent or doesn't like their parents splitting up keeps hoping will happen.

    I don't like anything in that third act aside from Miguel playing a song for his great grandma, which I admit was cute and heartwarming. That movie was Disney/Pixar's one chance to tackle challenging ideas people like myself and my friends could relate to as an aspiring artists who deal with not having family support for their dreams, and the movie played the safest cliche inoffensive route possible to please audiences. Maybe Soulcan change that though. Maybe.

    Coco's still a fine entertaining movie as is, but I always can't help but cringe whenever people praise it as one of the best animated films.

    And while I'm on the subject, Incredibles 1 is still the best Pixar movie that only gets better when you rewatch it as you get older and I doubt that's changing anytime soon.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  16. #4396

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Kunt View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhP43BIU...pg&name=medium

    His original plan was 30 volumes in fact the whole point of Kamino was to set it up as a final battle when it really wasnt.
    It's right there dude.

    ''When the decision to extend the series happened, I personally thought 'I guess I want to end it here' and it was around volume 30".

    It wasn't the original plan from the beginning, it was the original plan when the decision to extend the series happened, which has changed again by now.

  17. #4397
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Also if the story was to maybe end by Kamino but Horikoshi realized he needed to keep going the redemption thing maybe wasn't planned until shortly after the arc. Mostly I'm kinda surprised how super against Endeavor trying to be better folks are. I thought most people liked anime bad guys trying to do good at least. Maybe this scenario is too close to home for people.
    Most time you have bad guy turn good. You don't have him deal with the trauma he inflicted on victims (Usually they are dead) or the victims are not that affected by it. The author creates a distance between there awful past and their reedeming present so the viewer does not have to think about it. Making it easier to separate the good from bad since you can easily see the bad as being being in the past or gone. So classically Rei would be dead or a punctual accident, Flamebeard would become awesome without talk of abuse, and 100 chapters later there would be a relunctant acknowledgement from Shouto about how his training made him better and that he has become a hero worth watching.

    The problem is that Horikoshi has decided to shed most of the fantastic and make it a grounded and real example of abuse and his take on it. There's no flourish to the way the kids present the situation. It's no longer your classic bad guy turn good but an author's take on real life societal issues which invites for much more scrutiny and caution on what is being presented.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post


    The real question to ask is what I actually did like in that third act in all honesty. It's not that Coco's third act is awful so much as being a predictable mediocre resolution to the complex conflicts and themes the movie introduced. The exact type of story playing it safe I expect from direct-to-DVD animated kids movie. Wasted potential, like you said.

    Spoiler:
    - The twist villain because Disney's too scared to ever have protagonists be related by blood to awful people,

    - The family twist reveal that I called in less than thirty seconds early when Hector first showed up,

    - The cliche third act focusing on a Scooby-Doo murder mystery chase plot where the bad guy gets caught because he brags about his crimes like an idiot while the intercom is on rather than focusing on Miguel's nuanced conflict between choosing his dreams or family

    - The great grandparents getting back together even though Hector left his family and only came back because he felt sorry for himself one day.

    That last part especially rubs me the wrong way because it reminds me of my parents' relationship and seems like the naive type of thought a kid who got abandoned by their parent or doesn't like their parents splitting up keeps hoping will happen.

    I don't like anything in that third act aside from Miguel playing a song for his great grandma, which I admit was cute and heartwarming. That movie was Disney/Pixar's one chance to tackle challenging ideas people like myself and my friends could relate to as an aspiring artists who deal with not having family support for their dreams, and the movie played the safest cliche inoffensive route possible to please audiences. Maybe Soulcan change that though. Maybe.

    Coco's still a fine entertaining movie as is, but I always can't help but cringe whenever people praise it as one of the best animated films.

    And while I'm on the subject, Incredibles 1 is still the best Pixar movie that only gets better when you rewatch it as you get older and I doubt that's changing anytime soon.
    I still stay the reunion is a thing not even disney would bother with. They never cared much for established marriage and Pixar should know better. so I don't know where that comes from. The emotional moment is them reuniting with the daugther clearly.

    I get the frustration when people talk talk about it, Im the same. I can't rewatch Coco due to the wasted potential but there's his that moment where the granpa pulls the ghost guitar at the end that almost make me shed a tear and I don't cry. But so much wasted potential. But also I get why people love it when instead of the ok story you remember how nice it must be to have your culture be represented in a positive and non super stereotyped way after so long. So yeah there's that too.

    I find Incredibles 1 to be incredibly generous to Mr Incredible and his shortcomings. But I think you mean better on rewatch more than absolute best and it is an interesting rewatch when you realize Bob is in midlife crisis.



  18. #4398

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    To be fair, Hori didn't had the experience of making a series to last more than 5 volumes until now.
    Last edited by KageKageKing; December 2nd, 2019 at 12:58 AM.

  19. #4399

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    The quirk marriage thing did sound like a weird outdated thing. But then we got a brief glimpse of Endeavor seeming to know her favorite flowers or something. And Rei reflecting on it.
    I really want to know if they were in love at some point. Rei could've just admired Endeavor as a hero and agreed to the marriage because of his career.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuugi's Black Magician View Post
    I'll laugh my ass off if Bakugou's hero name is Best Blast/Best Explosion. It just seems like such a hilarious nod to how much he hated being under Best Jeanist.
    I'm voting for All Blast or Blast Man (like Bat Man).

    Quote Originally Posted by Kunt View Post
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhP43BIU...pg&name=medium

    His original plan was 30 volumes in fact the whole point of Kamino was to set it up as a final battle when it really wasnt.
    Interesting about what he said about the final battle. Looks like he's going the Endgame, Naruto and, eventually, One Piece route. I'm fine with that, just give me my Captain Celebrity cameo.

    NNID: jervinnectar

  20. #4400

    Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

    Quick hits:

    -Horikoshi's extension beyond Kamino is fairly obvious: the first 100 or so chapters are very tightly plotted and generally better than the series since then, though a few arcs have been quite good. It's a symptom of the series's growing pains, which with Horikoshi's dealt with mixed success.

    -My joke hero name for Bakugo has been Best Explosion Murder and this chapter just underscores that.

    -The best Pixar movie is Incredibles 1, followed by Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc. Coco's music and depiction of the afterlife is wonderful but the plot is a bit weak, as Count Mario's outlined.

    If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts