+ Reply to Thread
Page 208 of 217 FirstFirst ... 108 158 198 206 207 208 209 210 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,160 of 4322

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    I already miss the Deku that had to analyze his opponents strengths and weaknesses and have to find a way to beat them with a simple Quirk.
    Did he ever actually do this outside of the first fight with Katsuki and the Stain fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Did he ever actually do this outside of the first fight with Katsuki and the Stain fight.
    Yeah, he did it during his fight with Todoroki and he was fairly strategic during the Camp attack.

If I remember correctly, he also did it during his fight with gentle.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Deku has become one of the most uninteresting characters in the story. Especially now that he can basically access Deus Ex Machina at will whenever its convenient.

The new powerups completely remove the tension that will be there in any conflict he will ever get into.

I already miss the Deku that had to analyze his opponents strengths and weaknesses and have to find a way to beat them with a simple Quirk.

As of now, he will always be Inferior to All Might because AM made a name for himself with one simple Quirk, while he has access to 7 more Quirks that will always be convenient for specific situations(Yawn.)

Hell even Shigaraki is a better character now, because he has honed his one Quirk and is making full use of it. Its almost like the roles have reversed, this time instead of One For All's rival having several quirks its the other way round.
    I'm fairly convinced the term "Deus ex Machina" has lost all meaning nowadays.

No. Deku having access to other Quirks is not Deus Ex Machina since it was all set up previously.

Is a potential future last minute save by activation of a new ability any less DEM just because author announced hero will eventually access multiple abilities? Seems like cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Spoiler:
    Fun chapter, seeing the kids again is great. I like how Deku has improved gear for the black whip, but that looks like something that will break easily when using the superstrenght. I still have doubts about Deku having six quirks aside from the super-strenght inherent to OFA, but I am also curious to see the other five and their users.

I liked the importance of interviews and itīs nice seeing Mt Lady having an understanding of the situation since she always seemed like the novice that itīs in the job for the fame only, even if her first scene in the chapter is a close up of her butt (Hori please)

Spoiler:
    I wonder who Aizawa was this thinking of to teach Bakugo the art of interviewing lol.

Todoroki becoming like Drax in his inability to understand slang actually makes me like him more as a character.

Phhft. People are funny about the Deku having access to more quirks thing. Like heroes in Shonen never get a convenient out when up against impossible odds. Here it's at least something we know will happen based on Deku's feelings. But like we saw with the black whip he can't control it. It may give the enemies a pause but it doesn't guarantee an automatic win.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Spoiler:
    People are noticing that Kaminari's doing what looks like the League's gang sign.

Spoiler:
    Mt. Lady's new attitude is a great way of showing how Endeavor's influence differs from All Might. All Might was so overpowered many heroes felt they didn't have to try all that hard and some even became heroes simply for the glory. Now, we have Endeavor, a guy trying his hardest to be the best with the knowledge he's not as overpowered as All Might. He can't be the guy to save them all. They all have to come together in times of crisis now.

And, good on Hori for not have Deku even come close to mastering Blackwhip yet.

NNID: jervinnectar

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    I'm fairly convinced the term "Deus ex Machina" has lost all meaning nowadays.

No. Deku having access to other Quirks is not Deus Ex Machina since it was all set up previously.
    My main issue is that the other Quirks will be used to conveniently get Deku out of situations that he otherwise would not have.

For example, in the reveal that Deku had extra quirks, he conveniently accessed a quirk that let him block the stuff that was about to fall on him. To me that seems like a god in the machine type of scenario.

I think it would have been far more interesting if Deku had used his mind to escape a situation that his quirk probably wouldn't have allowed him to.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Spoiler:
    "I know you don't get along well with the rest of humanity"

Yeah, that sums up Bakugo pretty well.

Deku having multiple quirks isn't really set up all that well imo because the manga reinforces the fact that OFA has only a single ability transferred. Yes the definition of the quirk allows it but it goes against the symbolism and also what was established as the de facto capability of the quirk.

Do you mean to say that "All for One vs Some for All" feels more awkward thematically than "All for One vs One for All"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Spoiler:
    People are noticing that Kaminari's doing what looks like the League's gang sign.
    What if all this time there were...
    Spoiler:
    two traitors? Invisible Girl for the League and Kaminari for the MLA? We know there's a League traitor at UA at least and we know heroes are MLA members. Makes sense they started out as students.

My main issue is that the other Quirks will be used to conveniently get Deku out of situations that he otherwise would not have.

For example, in the reveal that Deku had extra quirks, he conveniently accessed a quirk that let him block the stuff that was about to fall on him. To me that seems like a god in the machine type of scenario.

I think it would have been far more interesting if Deku had used his mind to escape a situation that his quirk probably wouldn't have allowed him to.
    While I don't agree Deku's new quirks are deus ex machina, he should've lost that fight against Shinso.

NNID: jervinnectar

That's not what happened at all.

Deku's new power was an accident that put him in danger first. Only then it was used as intended, in a completely different situation. It didn't solve a conflict (what Deus ex Machinas do by definition), it started one.

But no, apparently, it was "convenient".

Well, the similarities to All For One were already brought up, so maybe that leads somewhere. Wouldn't be surprised if AFO shows up in Deku's mind and tries to tempt him or something (Part of the quirk originally came from him after all). I can also see Shigaraki not getting All For One. I know it seems obvious, but honestly decay fits his character well enough. He only wants destruction, so why should he need anything else. Perhaps the battle between All For One and One For All really ended with All Might and Deku and Shigaraki's story is something different.

Come to think of it, if he can access the quirk of the first user, maybe Deku can give all these quirks away separately to quirkless people in the end of the story. And that's the real meaning of 'One For All'.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Do you mean to say that "All for One vs Some for All" feels more awkward thematically than "All for One vs One for All"
    I kinda understand why some people would feel that way, still, All for One and One for All still have the original theme. AFO steals from everyone for the sake of his owner (all those quirks will never trully belong to him or form part of the quirk), meanwhile OFA is generations of people nurturing the quirk for the sake of everyone else (at the end of the day, the six quirks have become part of OFA) It could have been foreshadowed better, but personally I donīt see it breaking the theme.

There is also the fact that Deku may as well be the last OFA user and the powers may as well harm him instead, since AFO brother said that they reached the anomality. Wich makes me wonder how earth is gonna survive in a couple of years if everyone has a power like Eri or Tomura, I alway wish Overhaul talked about that, since it could have given him more credit as villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    That + the fact that OFA was built up as that each user of the quirk mastered and improved on the quirk through effort before passing it on to the sucessor whereas AFO simply stole the strongest quirks. It parralels how Deku was meant to not have any gifted abilities and instead needed to master and improve on his quirk to surpass All Might and beat Shiggy. Whereas now he just gets extra abilities rather than improving on OFA.

One thing I think people are overlooking is that Deku was originally conceived as a kind of Batman character with lots of tools and ingenuity but no Quirk. Horikoshi isn't going to give him additional crazy powers when his core feature is insane strength- he's more likely to give Deku powers that diversify his moveset and give various utility. Black Whip, for instance, is decently strong but also gives Deku the option to improve his mobility and redirect objects. I wouldn't be surprised if his other latents powers are also geared more towards ability than specifically increasing his power.

Seriously, just wait until his next Quirk is a smoke bomb or infrared vision. These are going to be a lot more like toolbelt options than insane multi-wielding Quirks.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

The heroes are back, yay...

... and there goes all my newly found enthusiasm for this manga. It doesn't help we have the Shill Trio making the announcement (to be honest, though, it was the first in a loooong time I found myself actually enjoying Deku again. Bakugou and Todoroki not so much).

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    That's not what happened at all.

Deku's new power was an accident that put him in danger first. Only then it was used as intended, in a completely different situation. It didn't solve a conflict (what Deus ex Machinas do by definition), it started one.

But no, apparently, it was "convenient".
    Yes, the order of events were the contrary: we first found out about this new quirk and only after the whole thing was settled down is that a situation when it could be properly applied happened.

It wasn't a deus ex machina, but it is undeniable that OfA has an amazing potential to play like that. It basically gives Deku six open slots that can be filled by any quirk that will conveniently match his predicament. Hopefully Horikoshi will handle that properly, we saw All Might readied some info on all those quirk, so if will solve the prolbem if Horikoshi give us at least some general notions of what each of them is this soon.

Spoiler:
    Oh what a bright idead Toshinori, write a notebook on the predecessors quirk and named it to Midoriya on a campus that has a fucking MOLE. Also Bakugo an the media is his true ship.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information