+ Reply to Thread
Page 181 of 231 FirstFirst ... 81 131 171 179 180 181 182 183 191 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,620 of 4620

Thread: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - Bhyyyyyyyyy

Spoiler:

Okay, people can dislike this chapter/fight/development all they want,
    but I'm completely opposite on this one. I was left breathless in a very good way.
    I actually felt the intensity and my blood was pumping for Toga to win somehow.

I loved this outcome, and I didn't question the quirk evolution at all.
    This is definitely a situation of extremely high stress, what better time to push/awaken your ability?
    To me it's NO different from Deku going beyond his limits against Muscular in the forest camp arc.
    I'm also sure that we've been told that anyone's quirk can evolve with enough training.
    This isn't out of nowhere, and I totally buy that it could happen in such a desperate situation that had Toga at her limits.

I loved how brutal and bloody this fight was, and I found this insight into her childhood interesting.
    This really helps further the idea that the MHA society is definitely not where it should be just yet,
    which is something I'm really appreciating. Hori is doing good work here IMO.
    I'm enjoying this a lot more than Class A vs Class B at any rate.

Also, glad that I called Toga murdering her opponent. It was the only possible outcome after so much provocation.
    But damn, that was a cold and instant way to do it. Just shows how easy it would be for Ochako to kill people with her quirk if she really wanted to!

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Spoiler:
    Wonder how much Toga has to live. With all that supposed internal bleeding and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Spoiler:
    Sigh, it seems the author is hellbent on breaking the rules of his own story. Toga suddenly being able to copy powers is as lame as Deku suddenly finding out that he has 9 more power ups to look forward to.

It just destroys the internal consistency of the story and it looks like a cheap way for the author to get his characters out of trouble.

What a shame.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Spoiler:
    I think Togaís casa falls under misunderstood quirks. She can shapeshift into another person,clothes include, by ingesting blood but never considered that she could copy a quirk.

Now the more important part, she knows how Ochakoís quirk works and thatís may be the most fundamental part of her being able to copy.

Could she be able to mimic Momoís quirk upon seeing her in action and drinking her blood, i donít think so. Could she do the same to Kendo, absolutely yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainyz View Post
    Spoiler:
    I agree that the League of Villains need more screentime, but an arc focused on them isn't the best way in my opinion.
    Simply put, they deserve to shine but their ambitions and chemistry isn't interesting enough to carry an entire arc on its own.
    And yeah, this arc could be they way to explore them and develop their interactions to be less boring to watch, but this chapter indicates this won't be the case.
    Last but not least, while the flashback chapters were fine by me, it feels the whole Liberation Army storyline is pushing the plot nowhere, and the League doesn't seem to be developing in any meaningful way, and the whole thing with the doctor and Gigantomachia (which is probably the main progression the League will experience in this arc) is totally separate, which makes me feel the Liberation Army are being wasted as punching bags.
    Spoiler:
    I can agree that their interactions thus far aren't that interesting enough. But I disagree on their ambitions. I think they're simple and psychologically rich with potential to dig into.

I would love to see Spinner meeting up with other physically unique Quirk users like him, or Toga's bloodthirst make the League's plan go awry, or Shigaraki interacting with people and he overall world to deconstruct his petty destruction behavior beyond talking about it. Right now they're just reacting to the Liberation Army and not being allowed much agency to explore their characterization potential.

The issue is that Horikoshi doesn't want to give them interesting focus/roles related to their motivations so much as give backstories and exposition as reactions to other arc villains. They lack agency in how they operate and develop. The closest we got to that was Shigaraki interrogating Deku at the mall, and I want more plot beats like that. I love the backstories but I want that kind of storytelling in the present as well with what the League members do. If that makes sense.

And while this arc could have been a chance to make their interaction chemistry more interesting, it is lacking like you said. We got a taste of that with Shigaraki swiping Twice's mask and Spinner confronting Shigaraki, but those only amount to small moments that get pushed off to the side. And Dabi's lone wolf act only inhibits making him more interesting beyond Shoto's long lost older brother.

I'm willing to wait on seeing more of the arc before writing off the Liberation Army as punching bags for the League. If that does happen, it will be very VERY underwhelming. But I'm expecting this conflict to not get fully resolved before the perspective switches back to the heroes. The Liberation Army has potential for developing the League because of how technically similar their beliefs are (evident by Curious wanting to use Toga's backstory for reporting propaganda), and I would argue that we already got some of that for Toga (I count finding out more about a character's past as development since it gives them more depth and understanding like character development usually does.) And we don't know how things will turn out once Gigantomachia comes into play so those two separate plot threads can still merge for all we know, although I get that not being too interesting yet either.

But I get your issues and worries with this arc. They are valid and I hope I did not come across as saying the League are perfect characters. They can definitely be a lot better. Yet I see a lot of interesting themes and potential in Horikoshi's writing that he sometimes lives up to but more than not leaves me wanting more, and this arc is so unconventional and the Liberation Army is fascinating enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if I get another Overhaul... ugh.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Spoiler:
    HOW is it breaking any rules? QUIRKS CAN EVOLVE. We KNOW this.

If devil fruits can "awaken" in One Piece, then why can't I believe in Toga's quirk evolving?
    You start off with the base ability, but with training and application you can discover new abilities when using it.
    Makes perfect sense to me, I was actually EXCITED about this development.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    I think Toga’s casa falls under misunderstood quirks. She can shapeshift into another person,clothes include, by ingesting blood but never considered that she could copy a quirk.

Now the more important part, she knows how Ochako’s quirk works and that’s may be the most fundamental part of her being able to copy.

Could she be able to mimic Momo’s quirk upon seeing her in action and drinking her blood, i don’t think so. Could she do the same to Kendo, absolutely yes.
    I agree with this, makes sense to me.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

People have been very quick and eager to pinpoint Horiís flaws and be merciless on the series as a whole because of them.

Or authors have made similar blunders but we let that slide. And while the foreshadowing in MHA is not as strong as the one in Black Clover, is pretty decent. All the points people usually complain where told one way or another in the first 75ch or so.

Spoiler:
    As much as people want the Liberation Army to stick, I want them to be a mere level up for the LoV. I guess the neutral outcome would be Giga destroying the city, two of the Monarchís inner circle dying,Monarch and Gorillaz dude escaping in their glorious flying coccon and the destruction of the city attributed to the leak, so a new influx of lost and oppressed can flock to them for the Doctor to tinkering with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the conversation is going to be "asspull asspull" then enjoy it, I'll be somewhere else.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

For those going "asspull", go to the link below. It's from volume 19, released over a year ago (spoilers, obviously):

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/sta...73444416495616

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Spoiler:
    Sigh, it seems the author is hellbent on breaking the rules of his own story. Toga suddenly being able to copy powers is as lame as Deku suddenly finding out that he has 9 more power ups to look forward to.

It just destroys the internal consistency of the story and it looks like a cheap way for the author to get his characters out of trouble.

What a shame.
    Spoiler:
    What's the internal consistency of the story?

We know Quirks aren't absolute. They can be improved and sometimes a Quirk may be more than it seems. This was all described in the early chapters, as a way to explain why costume changes were a thing.
    Last edited by King Cannon; April 25th, 2019 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    For those going "asspull", go to the link below. It's from volume 19, released over a year ago (spoilers, obviously):

Oh wow, that's a lot more simple. It's right there in black and white.
    Nice. >:)

Spoiler:
    What's the internal consistency of the story?

We know Quirks aren't absolute. They can be improved and sometimes a Quirk may be more than it seems. This was all described in the early chapters, as a way to explain why costume changes were a thing.
    Spoiler:
    Well for me the Internal Consistency was that Quirk's could not be..evolved(for lack of a better term). You had to deal with what you had.

In this chapter, she went from Just being able to copy bodies, to being able to copy powers. That's an entirely new powerset.

Anyway, the writer had written himself into a corner with competent antagonist and he just wasn't good enough to write himself out of it and had to resort to plot contrivances to do it.

Its too bad but its understandable.

Deku getting more powers is still the shittiest idea ever though. Completely robbed that character of any potential.
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Spoiler:
    Well for me the Internal Consistency was that Quirk's could not be..evolved(for lack of a better term). You had to deal with what you had.

In this chapter, she went from Just being able to copy bodies, to being able to copy powers. That's an entirely new powerset.

Anyway, the writer had written himself into a corner with competent antagonist and he just wasn't good enough to write himself out of it and had to resort to plot contrivances to do it.

Its too bad but its understandable.

Deku getting more powers is still the shittiest idea ever though. Completely robbed that character of any potential.
    Spoiler:
    What plot contrivances? Do you know what that means? Or do you just call regular plot developments you don't like that?

Toga being able to use Quirks is not a "new" powerset. It's a literal evolution of her ability to transform. If she can replicate genetic traits of people, then Quirks should be fair deal, since they're a genetic trait.

This was in chapter 8. It more or less stated that Quirks can sometimes develop new effects or even have them from the start, but no one was aware of it:

We also have cases of whole new abilities being discovered training one's Quirk. It's the case of Shihai Kuroiro, who originally couldn't move objects he possessed.

Last edited by King Cannon; April 25th, 2019 at 06:05 AM.

Spoiler:
    What plot contrivances? Do you know what that means? Or do you just call regular plot developments you don't like that?

This was in chapter 8. It more or less stated that Quirks can sometimes develop new effects or even have them from the start, but no one was aware of it:

https://i.imgur.com/KdT5R5I.jpg

Spoiler:

Eh its fine.

I remember that chapter. I also remember Red Riots "evolution" which felt more natural.

Here, she basically developed a new power. And I don't believe that a villain would not have tried to copy Quirks before now. So to me this is not a case of "oh I thought my Quirk just blah blah blah"

She would have tested to see if she could copy people's quirk before this fight.

Anyway I guess my main complaint is in the execution. I actually don't care whether she can copy quirks. I just care that it happened in a convenient manner so that she could escape from an impossible situation. Especially after the antagonists had been competent enough to account for her quirk and actively worked to negate it.

All Might didn't develop a new quirk to beat the first Nomu. He just found a weakness he could exploit and exploited it. I expected something similar here, or some inventive way to use her quirk. But she basically developed new powers, used them better than the character whose quirk she copied and killed everyone.

Lazy writing.

Spoiler:
    I LOVED this chapter! I mean, sure, Toga's new ability appearing right now was too convenient, but screw it, it was just a small portion of the chapter. I really like the take on how growing up with a quirk affects the person's personality, particularly when it is not a socially accepted one.

But back to Toga using Ochako powers, I think it would be cooler if she killed those people by letting them float until they died out of air. Still, quite smart of Horikoshi to use Toga to show how Ochako's ability could be used on a more aggressive way (since Ochako herself being a hero will never use it like that).

Spoiler:
    But she basically developed new powers, used them better than the character whose quirk she copied and killed everyone.

Lazy writing.
    Spoiler:
    She always had this ability though, it wasn't newly developed in this fight.
    It's right there on Horikoshi's notes for Toga's character page that she can use the quirk of whomever she copies.
    If there's a handicap it seems to be a need to fully understand how to activate the person's quirk. Toga said that she watched the way Ochako used her ability.
    It makes me think about how Momo can only produce items for which she understands the molecular structure.

Spoiler:

Eh its fine.

I remember that chapter. I also remember Red Riots "evolution" which felt more natural.

Here, she basically developed a new power. And I don't believe that a villain would not have tried to copy Quirks before now. So to me this is not a case of "oh I thought my Quirk just blah blah blah"

She would have tested to see if she could copy people's quirk before this fight.

Anyway I guess my main complaint is in the execution. I actually don't care whether she can copy quirks. I just care that it happened in a convenient manner so that she could escape from an impossible situation. Especially after the antagonists had been competent enough to account for her quirk and actively worked to negate it.

All Might didn't develop a new quirk to beat the first Nomu. He just found a weakness he could exploit and exploited it. I expected something similar here, or some inventive way to use her quirk. But she basically developed new powers, used them better than the character whose quirk she copied and killed everyone.

Lazy writing.
    Spoiler:
    Meh. I'm very fine with what happened, since the "convenient" power served to give more insight into Toga's mind. It complemented her development of wanting to be even more like the real thing.

Just like how the point of the All Might vs. Nomu fight was not "exploiting weaknesses" or some other thing like that, it was about one's going over their limits. The fight complements the development and vice-versa.

You could have her outwiting and then killing Chitose with transforming shenanigans, but that wouldn't really show anything new for the character. She has already managed to do that in the Overhaul arc, against a Pro Hero even.

You call it "lazy", I call it fun. Don't want to see Toga just doing what she does all the time.

Spoiler:

Lazy writing.
    Spoiler:
    Not says that Ochaco couldn't do that because using it to make her opponents fall to their deaths is against her characters. Besides we saw her doing something similar against Bakugo, but not with people. I hardlt would call that Lazy Writting.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    Spoiler:
    She always had this ability though, it wasn't newly developed in this fight.
    It's right there on Horikoshi's notes for Toga's character page that she can use the quirk of whomever she copies.
    If there's a handicap it seems to be a need to fully understand how to activate the person's quirk. Toga said that she watched the way Ochako used her ability.
    It makes me think about how Momo can only produce items for which she understands the molecular structure.
    Spoiler:
    Ok if this is true, then I retract my statement.

Just seemed out of place in this chapter.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

Spoiler:

There are a lot of possible justifications that don't contradict anything in the story:
    -She could always use quirks, but most of the time she didn't know how to use them.
    -She could always use quirks, but chose not to becase of personal (crazy) reasons or a bad side effect.
    -She could always use quirks but hid it from everyone to have it as a trump card.
    -She could always use quirks but very weakly. The near death experience powered it up.
    -She can only copy quirks that are "always on" like Ochako's, or mutations (since she shapeshifts).

In this case a couple things happened: She was in a desperate situation where hiding stuff was pointless, was in a near death situation that is known to have effects on quirks, had access to a quirk that was easy to use (it's always on) and she knew how it worked.

Or maybe her quirk evolved in an instant from changing shape to changing shape + copying quirks, but there are non-dissappointing alternatives.
    I hate quacks.

Spoiler:
    Meh. I'm very fine with what happened, since the "convenient" power served to give more insight into Toga's mind. It complemented her development of wanting to be even more like the real thing.

Just like how the point of the All Might vs. Nomu fight was not "exploiting weaknesses" or some other thing like that, it was about one's going over their limits. The fight complements the development and vice-versa.

You could have her outwiting and then killing Chitose with transforming shenanigans, but that wouldn't really show anything new for the character. She has already managed to do that in the Overhaul arc, against a Pro Hero even.

You call it "lazy", I call it fun. Don't want to see Toga just doing what she does all the time.
    Spoiler:
    Yes. All Might Exploited a weakness in the Nomu by recognizing that it could absorb force but not negate it. So he had to hit with more force than it could absorb. Hence going beyond his limits.

I was actually not expecting some kind of 5-D chess game from her.

I just thought the author would do something unique to have her get out of what was seemingly an inescapable situation.

That way, establishing Toga as an actual force to be reckoned with.

Here a villain just used a hero's power in a villainous way because she is villain.

Anyway. The author seems to have some good ideas. The arc was pretty exciting before this chapter, so I hope the other characters don't deus ex machina themselves out of their situations.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information