Default Re: The New Nintendo Threadô

inb4 New Smash Character.

Or just a wii fit trainer echo.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun... but also something that'll cause a looooot of injuries.
    The TV's breathe a sigh of relief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Well... okay then, Nintendo haha. I'm not convinced anyone will want to play the adventure mode for more than a little while for novelty, but I guess the exercise features might be interesting to some.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    The option to disable 3D existed and some developers did use it (notably Gamefreak).
    I mean I think there's a misconception here about 3D. It didn't take extra processing power to do or anything. It's kind of a cheap trick where you (physically) block certain pixels from one eye or the other. So what you're really doing is halving the effective horizontal resolution of games, because you have to repeat pixels for each eye. If they hadn't built it that way then we'd have just gotten a normal screen that looked a little better. Though, if they built it really smartly, you might be able to increase performance by disabling 3D at the software level by telling the chip to only render half as much data and then duplicate it.

Nintendo: We at Nintendo are proud to announce the sixth generation Nintendo Salt Shaker Plus! In addition to storing and spreading salt, the Salt Shaker Plus also has an add-on wrench for handy-dandy home repair, and a storage capsule for your pharmaceuticals, and a writing pad, and a calculator, and a telescope, and a swiss army knife, and a gauge for checking your tire pressure.

Customers: Umm...we just want a salt shaker.

Nintendo: DAMMIT! IS NOTHING GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Nintendo: We at Nintendo are proud to announce the sixth generation Nintendo Salt Shaker Plus! In addition to storing and spreading salt, the Salt Shaker Plus also has an add-on wrench for handy-dandy home repair, and a storage capsule for your pharmaceuticals, and a writing pad, and a calculator, and a telescope, and a swiss army knife, and a gauge for checking your tire pressure.

Customers: Umm...we just want a salt shaker.

Nintendo: DAMMIT! IS NOTHING GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!
    You forgot to add the example where instead of giving us the thing we want, they give us entirely the wrong thing and expect us to like it. If ONLY the thing that was their biggest problem was giving us what we wanted, but too much other stuff stacked on top of it! That would be a tremendous improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Have you at least managed to pass Xord?
    *cries* that's where i stopped

Discovered Stowaway

If there was going to be a fully 3D Kirby game, would HAL Laboratories be able to handle it or would they have to bring in more studios to help?

So I just got 100% in the new Link's Awakening (except the bonus set of chamber dungeons), and I have to say, they did an amazing job through and through. Pretty much everything that made the original good is still there, and most of the changes they made are huge quality of life improvements and things like expanding minigames. The surge in heart pieces is fine I guess; some of them feel lazily slapped on in plain sight but why not. The big surge in secret seashells is a bit more questionable, especially because a few are kinda bullshit (one especially). And the reward for getting them all is trash.

I can always nitpick a little though!

Some of the changes to bosses felt lame to me, even though for the most part things stayed the same. Also I guess this is nice in ways, but I'm disappointed that there are no more unmarked secrets. You used to have to figure out that some walls were bombable, and in most cases there were enough hints. Now they're all cracked walls. (This is particularly disappointing to me in the case of the final dungeon.) Same as diving for heart pieces; you can now see the silhouettes which is nice for the random ones they threw in but others were contextually reasonable (like a cave consisting solely of water and nothing else).

I also feel that the scene where you open the Wind Fish's egg lacked impact. Cute tune, but it felt more emotionally charged in the original. It needed to sound grander I think. I was way more affected this time around by Marin's singing in Animal Village. I could also complain about the whole chamber dungeon thing but eh. It's boring but not so bad to get the important rewards. What's annoying is how in the game at large, the rewards for the hardest tasks and for the best performance in most of the minigames end up being shitty chamber tiles. Nobody cares. And congrats Nintendo, you finally made rupees a relevant currency at endgame... if you want to keep buying chamber tiles.

Rupees were never a relevant currency at the shop in Link's Awakening.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Well, only with your final Adquisition.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Well, only with your final Adquisition.
    Pretty much, especially if you're going for 100% and the no-death ending. Otherwise yeah stealing is the best thing in the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    Pretty much, especially if you're going for 100% and the no-death ending. Otherwise yeah stealing is the best thing in the entire game.
    Do you get anything for never stealing?

Not specifically. I mean, other than not having your name permanently changed to "Thief" (which I assume is still a thing). There are tons of those chamber stones to buy though, and some don't appear until pretty much the end of the game. So if you want 100% and no deaths, you can only steal the last one.

Did we ever get any explanation as to why Midna's mask thing (in twilight princess) looked similar to Majora's mask

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Did we ever get any explanation as to why Midna's mask thing (in twilight princess) looked similar to Majora's mask
    Isn't an eye the only similarity between the two things?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Isn't an eye the only similarity between the two things?
    I could have sworn there were more similarities than just that... seems my mind is slipping

Still is an interesting piece of lore

I don't think there's any relation, nor would it qualify as "lore."

Anyway today I finished all of the chamber dungeons in Link's Awakening. It's not really that fun, but it's not as tedious and awful as people seem to be expressing online. It has only very minor puzzle elements to construct the handful of "hard" challenges, and if you use the chambers intelligently you can usually make clearing the dungeons super fast by making the majority of the map non-mandatory to visit at all. The most infuriating thing is that you can't control how stairs connect, making it a needless struggle to link up the couple of maps that force you to use them. But even with that, the last set of 12 was relatively inoffensive, and probably only took an extra couple hours at most to complete. Also generated more than enough rupees in the process to obtain all of the chamber stones from the shop, for a grand total of 14 in my inventory.

The problem is more that the mode isn't awful, but it's also not exactly fun. Playing through recycled rooms with no real way to devise interesting challenges is just kinda "eh." And even if you like it, it's not like you can share online lol.

The lack of sharing makes this seem like a beta of the mode to see its viability, but this seems like an important feature. Imagine if you could only play your own levels on Mario maker or Warcraft 3? Or your own mods in minecraft or Skyrim?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

I don't think the Switch version of Skyrim supports mods, sadly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information