+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Nintendo Threadô

Default Re: The New Nintendo Threadô

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Have any of you ever seen or heard or thought yourselves, "golly, this board stage of mario party is so boring, I wish it was just minigames all the time"?

I was just so shocked about it. And the person goes on to complain that it is boring because he doesn't do anything while everyone else is taking their 2 minute turn, the same person who in average took 15 minutes to do his Gloomhaven (tabletop rpg game) turn, while everyone else took an average of 5.
    Huh. I never thought anyone could consider Mario Party Top 100 to be a good game but I guess there are all sorts of people out there.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)

Bond en Avant practices drawing in SAI

Discovered Stowaway

If all you want is minigames, isn't that kind of what the WarioWare stuff is all about? Or you could make a sequel to Nintendoland and make it all about minigames instead of a singular large-scale game with different stages.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    If all you want is minigames, isn't that kind of what the WarioWare stuff is all about? Or you could make a sequel to Nintendoland and make it all about minigames instead of a singular large-scale game with different stages.
    WarioWare is single-player, and it's more about a rapid succession of "micro-games." Mario Party is all about the mini-games, but I don't think it'd work without the overworld shenanigans mixing things up, especially in terms of ending up with 2v2 or 3v1 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    Skyward Sword however is so deeply flawed and just below average to not make it a total unplayable mess, but just boring enough to slog through between uninspired lenghty story beats (plus boring dialogues that often spoil puzzle solutions), and gameplay sections that are not extremely easy to breeze through, but just long and challenging enough but devoid of any meaningful decision throghout.
    For me, I can live with Fi annoying me every five minutes but the backtracking (isn't there technically only three sections?) and the motion controls would test my patience. At the very least, the motion controls. I think I had originally skipped over the game because of the wagglin'.

(side note - really wished Matthewmatosis would've continued his analysis of the Zelda series)

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    WarioWare is single-player, and it's more about a rapid succession of "micro-games." Mario Party is all about the mini-games, but I don't think it'd work without the overworld shenanigans mixing things up, especially in terms of ending up with 2v2 or 3v1 games.
    Well they can expand on the WarioWare formula to make more involved games and include a multiplayer component, or just downgrade the more expansive games in Nintendoland and you've already got the multiplayer thing going, so you'd just have almost unlimited minigames without the board game aspect. They could call it NintendoWorld. Or Nintendoverse (I think they're building a theme park or something already, aren't they?)

Skyward Sword remake I don't have much hope for, mostly because its biggest flaws are inherent to the design.

The unskippable dialogue and time wasting popups can be tweaked, and maybe they can fill out the sky so it isn't a bunch of floating chunks of rock, or even fix up the repeated boss fights, which would bump up the game's quality by a noticeable amount, but the handholding, backtracking and linearity are built-in problems that would require the game to be at least partially rebuilt to be solved.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Yobiyopi View Post
    Given Nintendo's history of remasters, they are not going to change anything visually besides some UI that would have to change since they show a Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Other examples would be games remastered for handhelds (Mario 64 DS, Oot/MM3D, LM3D etc), but i find all of them inferior to their counterparts both visually and gameplay
    None of the original versions of those games with the exception of Luigi's Mansion aged all that well visually and I would argue OoT 3DS version was less cumbersome from a control standpoint.

SM64 though why did anyone think it was a good idea to play that with a D-Pad hell I hope I wrong and I'm not misremnering they didn't actually let you use the touch screen as an alternative for controlling Mario.

Edit: Oh god it did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Skyward Sword remake I don't have much hope for, mostly because its biggest flaws are inherent to the design.

The unskippable dialogue and time wasting popups can be tweaked, and maybe they can fill out the sky so it isn't a bunch of floating chunks of rock, or even fix up the repeated boss fights, which would bump up the game's quality by a noticeable amount, but the handholding, backtracking and linearity are built-in problems that would require the game to be at least partially rebuilt to be solved.
    If that's the case I'd rather just have a new motion-control Zelda on the Switch. I liked how Skyward Sword's controls worked, though I'm not sure how the Joy Cons could handle the same amount of buttons and whatnot. Maybe on the next-gen console to come after. But I don't want the hardcore motion-control thing to die out forever after Skyward Sword.

Instead of boging zelda down with heavy combat focus, they should just take another franchise, and explore the damn things there. Like flailing arms in Arms instead of punch out, or gyroscopic controllers in splatoon instead of starfox.

Revive Takamaru's franchise, and make it all about sword combat, and swords that throw shurikens.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Discovered Stowaway

Or invent another franchise. Nintendo can never have too many first party IPs, especially when it feels like half their roster in Smash is now third party characters.

I'm heavily against the idea of motion-controlled anything involving sword.

Opinion spoilered for anyone who might care:

Spoiler:

For one, I don't think it's something the market is particularly clammoring for from console design. After the Wii thing the most people seem to invest in motion controls is tied to virtual reality, which in itself still hasn't justified itself as a viable step forward for gaming.

Then the logistics of motion-controlled sword in the context of a console, single-player game don't quite work out either
    Aiming and such can be naturally adapted because it can still intuitively and properly be done with wrist movements, which are easy to replicate in any setting. Likewise, punching can be emulated with simple wrist movements, and even then most people that play Arms seriously will just not bother with that and simply use a regular controller.
    Precision in swordfighting requires proper stance and arm movement, something hard to do in constrained positions like sitting down. So then you have to forego precision, but that's what leads to problems like Skyward Sword where enemies take too long to defeat because half the time you slash in the exact angle you want, the other time you just don't and hit a shield or block or w.e.

This is not to mention the fact that a Zelda experience is meant to be engrossing and take multiple hours, ideally multiple hours in one sitting. If the movement required for precision swordfighting were to be required, that would kill anyone's desire to play the game for longer than their most-likely flabby and untrained arm can take. If it were a fighting game it would work better because then at least it's just rounds and the stamina element part (which player can last longer) becomes a part of the meta-game and the competition.
    BUT THEN you enter the problem of feedback. For swordfighting to actually feel realistic and legitimate there needs to be an impact felt when you hit things, and there's no current technology that can properly emulate the impact from hitting a sword against something. "But you can't do that with punches either but it works!"... which is true, which is why the design of Arms is elegant in that by having extendable arms it works for the senses to stretch the arm and feel reduced impact feedback after the fact, matching what visually happens on screen. It'd work for swords if the fight wasn't with the literal swords but with the slash wave coming out of the sword or something, but then my question would be about the real benefit of calling this swordfighting instead of just making it a magic wand experience sort of thing that allows for more nuance in the wrists and less in the arms.

"But it doesn't need to be that realistic"... except it would if the entire combat system of a Zelda game depended on it. Otherwise combat would be meaningless in which case why even bother swinging arms and getting exhausted when you can just press buttons and play for hours in the comfort of anywhere.

I'd relinquish the concept to arcade-like minigames or just outright arcade machines, where people are more tolerant of experimental control schemes that have defined space constraints and short rounds.

Nintendo Creator Program will be discontinued.
    https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/news/#list_8

Essentially what this means going forward is that now creators will be able to be a lot more flexible with their Nintendo-based videos to get revenue.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Nintendo Creator Program will be discontinued.
    https://r.ncp.nintendo.net/news/#list_8

Essentially what this means going forward is that now creators will be able to be a lot more flexible with their Nintendo-based videos to get revenue.
    What is the definition of a Nintendo-based video in this context? Like reporting about upcoming stuff on youtube or something? Or fan-made parodies like the Legend of Neil?

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

With octopath on sale, I'm thinking of getting it, but while I was looking, I saw a good bunch of titles with demos, they are downloading right now, katamari, cap road, pokken, arms, disgaea, the drum game.

I might end up buying buying octopath, but let me do something besides smash for a while.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Definitely buy Octopath. it's a solid game, especially if you enjoy JRPGs.

Got my best friend a Switch for Christmas, so an eShop sale is just what I was looking for right about now.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 ē Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Disegaea seems like fun, like 100+ hours of it. hard pass.

Pokken is boring, pass

Captain toad seemed cute and entertaining. Wishlist.

Arms and the drumbs one can't enjoy right now, my shoulder hurts, seemed good for what I could try. Try again later.

Katamari: fuck early 2000s cameras and them preventing me of playing some great games. Some dizziness started while playing the demo. Sad pass.

Octopath tho, everyone says is good, even if the stories don't connect, and it's a 40% off.

But then there is Capcom tempting me with games I already beat like okami and the mega Man collections. Or supergiant doing the same thing but with Hades sweetening the deal.

But what I should do is. Study.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

In my break from Smash, I've actually been playing a lot of Civilization 6, but on the PC.
    I've heard they're releasing it on the Switch as well but I don't know how well that would control.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)

Bond en Avant practices drawing in SAI

Quote Originally Posted by Bond en Avant View Post
    In my break from Smash, I've actually been playing a lot of Civilization 6, but on the PC.
    I've heard they're releasing it on the Switch as well but I don't know how well that would control.
    I actually just finished a 20 hour game on it. It's Civ 6 on the Switch. Some thigs have been downgraded as expected but honestly it was a real fun experience. The one more turn is even more perilous as you can just leave it in sleep mode and play that one more turn.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information