+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Animaniacs Two season revival on Hulu

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Default Animaniacs Two season revival on Hulu

Last edited by KaizokuJinbei; January 4th, 2018 at 06:46 PM.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Default Re: Animaniacs Two season revival on Hulu

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    Wouldn't be against Weird Al coming back to voice Wacko
    What? Jess Harnell was Wakko.
    Complicating things since 2009.

It all comes down to the writing and voice cast...and if Hulu gives them the freedom to throw in subtle adult humor. I remember being over the Warners antics by the last season, hope they make them fun again. There's always Slappy. If they really want to blow our minds they'll make the Hip Hippos relevant.

NNID: jervinnectar

I just hope its still really funny.
    Gotta get the big players back for the voices.

Can we have more references that only our parents would understand?

or perhaps more of Minerva Mink. she only had two episodes and a handful of cameos.
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

This didn't get its own thread when it was announced a year ago? Huh.

Well, same points as had then. As exciting as the news is, and as good as the old show was... half the skits were... kinda crap. Hopefully more of the good, less of the crap.

Warners are great, lots of song numbers. All three VAs are still super active so no issues there.

Skippy and Slappy are good, though Skippy's VA has grown up so thats iffy.

More Rita and Runt. They were my faves... and they cut them from the later seasons because Bernadette Peters was expensive. But having them do play ups on Wicked or Hamilton or similar musicals that have come along since last time would be fantastic. Their Les Mis episode was super formative for me discovering and loving Les Mis.

Please zero Hip Hippos or Mindy & Buttons.

Minimal Goodfeathers, their joke played out and Goodfellas, while a classic, is no longer current,. A couple shorts are fine but not dozens.

More Minerva Mink, she got shortchanged. Cartoons have moved along in the last decades, we can have sexy jokes now.

Mime Time, Good Idea/Bad Idea, Randy Beaman kid, Chicken Boo are all fine.

And I know this will be controversial but... very little Pinky and the Brain. They're great! But got their own show, we've had 65 full length episodes (and 13 shitty Elmyra episodes) with them. They've had more screen time than everyone else on the show combined.

Also, feel free to create new things, don't feel obligated to stick with just the old stuff, especially since some of it was crap.

Extra bonus: Throw in Freakazoid.
    Last edited by Robby; January 6th, 2018 at 10:08 AM.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Update the Presidents song.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Update the Presidents song.
    Restore the original version of the song heard on the album where they said
    "John F. Kenndedy he got shot" rather than "John F. Kennedy had Camelot"... and where the final line was "The current president is plain to see, Clinton, first name Hillary." rather than "the Clintons, Bill and Hilary."

Silly censorship.

The Nations of the World does have an updated verse at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Restore the original version of the song heard on the album where they said
    "John F. Kenndedy he got shot" rather than "John F. Kennedy had Camelot"...
    Well shit .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Moar Chicken Boo or I riot!!!
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Not exactly my first choice (Pinkie & the Brain aside, I like TT & Freakazoid better), but this can be good. They'll need to update the theme song (the Bill Clinton reference was dated even before he left office), and a bunch of other things.

Well, same points as had then. As exciting as the news is, and as good as the old show was... half the skits were... kinda crap. Hopefully more of the good, less of the crap.

Warners are great, lots of song numbers. All three VAs are still super active so no issues there.
    They could get really annoying, but they are the heart of the show (if the show had a heart, it was frankly rather cold) and when they worked, they worked well. So, I agree overall. They really should make Hello Nurse more than just a one joke character.

Skippy and Slappy are good, though Skippy's VA has grown up so thats iffy.
    Not a fan of Slappy (though, I do like the Bambi episode), but that's really a matter of personal taste. She should come back, but... yeah, she does need Skippy.

More Rita and Runt. They were my faves... and they cut them from the later seasons because Bernadette Peters was expensive. But having them do play ups on Wicked or Hamilton or similar musicals that have come along since last time would be fantastic. Their Les Mis episode was super formative for me discovering and loving Les Mis.
    I don't dislike them, but they never clicked for me, and to be honest, you're the first person I've met who has ever called them their favorite (most people are indifferent or find them boring in my experience).

Please zero Hip Hippos or Mindy & Buttons.
    Yes. Unless, it ends with Mindy tumbling into a working wood chipper, I don't want to see these characters in this revival.

Minimal Goodfeathers, their joke played out and Goodfellas, while a classic, is no longer current,. A couple shorts are fine but not dozens.
    Again, wood chipper.

More Minerva Mink, she got shortchanged. Cartoons have moved along in the last decades, we can have sexy jokes now.
    Ehh, I don't really care if she comes back or not. There's always this tendency to overrate things that got pushed aside and weren't allowed to develop (especially if non-creative forces are the cause) and Minerva is one of those things.

I can get a lot of the same type of jokes from one of Tex Avery's Wolf/Red cartoons, and those gags are better timed, better staged, and better animated. Admittedly, Minerva has something of a character (unlike Red), but not enough of one for me to think this could have been a good reoccurring skit (the first one is fine, but the second one isn't because they tried to go for some pathos).

Mime Time, Good Idea/Bad Idea, Randy Beaman kid are all fine.
    Good idea.

And I know this will be controversial but... very little Pinky and the Brain. They're great! But got their own show, we've had 65 full length episodes (and 13 shitty Elmyra episodes) with them. They've had more screen time than everyone else on the show combined.
    Bad idea. Yes, they've appeared more often than the rest, but besides the obvious answer for why that's so (because they were much better than the others), it's been 20 years since they've had a new episode and therefore, you can update them to the present day. I'd like to see them try to take over the world through things like Social Media, and Silicon Valley.

Extra bonus: Throw in Freakazoid.
    Honestly, I'd rather Dexter Douglas get his own show again, but failing that, yeah, I'm okay with this. Even if the internet has moved away from making Monty Python references on Usenet to the sheer mess that is Reddit, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and 4Chan, so that its living incarnate would probably be even more.... ugh. (Yeah, they won't do that, but the gimmick reminds you that this is a 90's show).

(Thinking about it more, I think I liked every character on that show more than Freakazoid: Cosgrove, Roddy, Fanboy, the parents, the Lobe, Cave Guy, Guittierrez etc. and the non-Freakazoid skits like Toby Danger, the Huntsman, that Gargoyles parody they did with the lawn gnomes, the most.)

Ditto on the 0 Mindy and Buttons. That poor dog's suffered enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Bad idea. Yes, they've appeared more often than the rest, but besides the obvious answer for why that's so (because they were much better than the others), it's been 20 years since they've had a new episode and therefore, you can update them to the present day. I'd like to see them try to take over the world through things like Social Media, and Silicon Valley.
    They may not have done cell phones or computers specifically but they basically did any social media schemes already with television, music cds, brainwashing dolls on christmas, etc. It would be pretty much the same.

They haven't just appeared a *little* more than all the rest, they appeared a *lot* more. A LOT more. They had a short in 20 of the show's 99 episodes, 1 of which was the full episode and many of which were 2/3 of the episode. They were in the movie. And then they had SEVENTY EIGHT episodes all to themselves. We've seen their routine and their gags and about as many crazy scheme stretches and variants as we can get. Even on that show they had to start subverting it eventually and had to start doing plots with guest villains after the actual premise wore thin.

I have no doubt they could do another 400 episodes of the exact same, but it doesn't mean we need that much more. Yes, they were probably the best part of the show, but we've gotten a LOT of them.

I'm not saying leave them out entirely of the new thing... just... don't make them the focus too often. Don't make 30 of the 40 new episodes about them.

to be honest, you're the first person I've met who has ever called them their favorite (most people are indifferent or find them boring in my experience).
    The musical aspect really hooked me in. And since they were doing (generally) more Broadway oriented stuff while the Warner were (generally) parodying more modern things and Disney, it sort of gave a window to something else that I ended up really liking.

I also liked the characters and the fact they actually had a dream, a goal, and real chemistry. Unlike say, the goodfeathers, who were based entirely on getting back around to the same couple recurring jokes as much as possible.

They have as yet not gotten in touch with Paul Rugg, Freakazoid's actor and one of the writers. They haven't even gotten Tom Ruegger on board yet. Kinda raises a red flag when they aren't talking to the guy who basically created the characters they're bringing back: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/internet-...ut-155789.html

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information