+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Star Trek... directed by Quentin Tarantino and rated R?!?

Default Re: Star Trek Franchise

Yeah, I saw the first episode and though it was alright (not bad, just...different), but I certainly didn't like it enough to pay for CBS All Access. So when/if I do continue to watch it, it'll have to be on Netflix or Amazon or some other service.

Default Re: Star Trek Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well considering
    Spoiler:
    The captain dies in the end and the ship blows up, it's not super shocking that they didn't spend time on the crew in the first two episodes. The goal was to make you feel for the captain, and the actual lead character, and they managed that.
    Understandable.

The real test will be if the next episodes continue doing that. Considering it's large cast I doubt it, but you never know.

Default Re: Star Trek Franchise

I watched the first two ep (I'm in the UK so the shit is one Netflix so yay!)

I'm intrigued so far. It is going to be a divisive Trek for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Default Star Trek... directed by Quentin Tarantino and rated R?!?

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/quent...obviously.html

Quentin Tarantino is going to do an R rated Star Trek. Whut.

Patrick Stewart says he's willing to return as Picard for this.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r-trek-1065667

Default Re: Star Trek... directed by Quentin Tarantino and rated R?!?

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/quent...obviously.html

Quentin Tarantino is going to do an R rated Star Trek. Whut.
    What the diarrhea dogfuck?

...Well, I definitely didn't see that one coming.

I'm surprise Tarantino would be interested in Star Trek at all. Star Wars maybe but not Trek. It is such a strange mix.

Always glad to see some Picard but that means he is doing a Next Generation movie?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I'm surprise Tarantino would be interested in Star Trek at all. Star Wars maybe but not Trek. It is such a strange mix.

Always glad to see some Picard but that means he is doing a Next Generation movie?
    Tarantino has said for years he'd love to do a Trek movie. And Bond.

He wouldn't count those against his "career 10."

And nothing has been said about anything. Just that Stewart would be up for it. As much as the entire next gen cast has aged (though not Stewart strangely) and them being scattered across the universe) I can't imagine them actually reuniting that group in its entirety. But a final story with Picard that isn't the trash that was Nemesis would be nice.

I also have to imagine Tarantino and the suits are more interested in Kirk era, since thats where all the shows and movies have taken place since Voyager. But hey, letting Stewart get another swan song on top of Logan would be swell.

Star Trek... Rated R... I really wish I could say I was surprised but, you know, current Star Trek.

Holdo is best and everything about Holdo is best.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Give me a Tarantino Trek all day everyday, to wash away the star wars trek taste. And I actually enjoyed those movies.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Finally sat down and got through the rest of Discovery.

It's good, but its not in any way, shape or form Star Trek. A couple decent plots twists in the second half (that I saw coming a mile away but surprised my wife).

But its a crew of assholes, characters die randomly, animal torture for their own ends is okay, there is bloody GoT style torture and gore in some spots, and a full blown Klingon on-camera nudity rape scene.

It's Star Trek because they use warp, transporters, vulcans,(including a super shoe horned in Sarek that makes no sense) a mirror universe, and they mention the Enterprise. It also has Klingons that aren't at all Klingons. But it is not in any way shape or form actually Star Trek in terms of real content. If this had been a wholly new property, or say, Battlestar Galactica it'd be fine to be dark and violent and full of asshole lead characters.

But.... it's Star Trek. Where the hell is the optimism? The bright future to strive towards?
    Last edited by Robby; June 14th, 2018 at 07:50 PM.

Discovered Stowaway

It's good, but its not in any way, shape or form Star Trek. A couple decent plots twists in the second half (that I saw coming a mile away but surprised my wife).

But its a crew of assholes, characters die randomly, animal torture for their own ends is okay, there is bloody GoT style torture and gore in some spots, and a full blown Klingon on-camera nudity rape scene.

It's Star Trek because they use warp, transporters, vulcans,(including a super shoe horned in Sarek that makes no sense) a mirror universe, and they mention the Enterprise. It also has Klingons that aren't at all Klingons. But it is not in any way shape or form actually Star Trek in terms of real content. If this had been a wholly new property, or say, Battlestar Galactica it'd be fine to be dark and violent and full of asshole lead characters.

But.... it's Star Trek. Where the hell is the optimism? The bright future to strive towards?
    In the continuity that starts in the era of the original series, silly.

Personally I'd have preferred something like Discovery to take place in the alternate timeline of the reboot films and just center on a different crew. They'd be less confined since they wouldn't have to worry about things interfering with the established timelines since it's supposed to be in the same timeline as TOS. Obviously Sarek has to survive, so that's one thing that has no stakes. Going in a direction with no firmly established future would have been more liberating.

That said, bring on the Tarantino R-rated Star Trek movie. Hell, do it Grindhouse style and have him and Robert Rodriguez do a two-part, back-to-back double feature.

I've got only two episodes left to go myself and...yeah, pretty much agreed on all accounts. Seems this series suffers from Nemesis syndrome.

Like, why even set it before TOS except to shoehorn in cameos? Set it after DS9 and VOyager. Move it forward another hundred years. That clears out any continuity baggage, suddenly all the tech having moved forward is fine, and you can introduce a new, not Klingon race to fill the roll of Klingons.

Ah well. They've apparently fired all the showrunners and are bringing on new people, so maybe season 2 will be different.

Well, let's also remember Star Trek series tend to have really sloppy early seasons.

That's the thing. This season *wasn't* sloppy. It was polished and high budgeted and did exactly what it set out to do.

Which is to not be Star Trek.

Default Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Not a fan. If it is a movie maybe... But to me Stark Trek has always been a show about ideas first and this seems like a classic sci-fi show/story.

I hope that at least they don't make the federation the villain since Star Trek is the only franchise where the future is optimistic is not shitty.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information