161 79.70%
  • Team Chrollo

41 20.30%
Closed Thread
Page 242 of 267 FirstFirst ... 142 192 232 240 241 242 243 244 252 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,840 of 5332

Thread: Hiatus x Hiatus III: Goodnight, Sweet Princes

Default Re: Hunter Hunter III: So long Mulan Szechuan Sauce

That might sound logical but at the same time Togashi doesn't have a consistent work schedule that has wait times between chapters be longer than a week. He hibernates for however long and then come out of hibernation to release 10 chapters on a weekly basis and then goes back into hibernation. Maybe it just works for him and that's why he does it but it's still a very strange way of releasing chapters.

Interesting interview. It's always relieving to get confirmation that Togashi is still definitely interested in writing this story and I'll enjoy the ride until it stops. I won't get bothered to enter the same old rehashed discussion except to say, at this point it is what it is. He isn't changing and Jump doesn't care so what's the point in talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    That might sound logical but at the same time Togashi doesn't have a consistent work schedule that has wait times between chapters be longer than a week. He hibernates for however long and then come out of hibernation to release 10 chapters on a weekly basis and then goes back into hibernation. Maybe it just works for him and that's why he does it but it's still a very strange way of releasing chapters.
    I believe that he writes the scenario and the dialogues during the hiatuses. And when he comes back, I guess that he's just drawing the chapters with his assistants (more like, they do everything except the faces) and discussing with them and with his editor about the choices he made.

Honestly, I don't know anything that looks like HxH and gets a weekly release. Also, I think the hiatuses intensified when he started to change his manga into something that much wordy, complex and etcetera. Which means, somewhere during the end of the kimera-ant, after Meruem's introduction. I guess I'll have to check that out. It seems likely though
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    You know, I think that manga consumers buy volumes. You pay for a volume, you get it instantly. You don't own anything that is still being made, you already got what you payed for.
    Is just like books. We don't pay for regular leaks, we pay for the book once it is released.
    You may buy the magazines with the weekly/monthly chapters, but, again, you are paying for what is there, not for what you expected should be there.

While it is perfectly logical for anyone to get mad at a writer for taking too long to release his product, be that person a mangaka or a book writer, going into long rants and personal attacks and criticizing the ethic of the said person is just asinine. The only person who is allowed to be mad at a writer for not fulfilling all the deadlines is the their employer and I don't think anyone here is a Shueisha representative, if they are ok with Togashi publishing like this is because they have an arrangement that allows him to do so and that's all that matters.

If you want to get mad at the chapters taking forever to be released, or Togashi having the nerve to start a long as hell arc when he clearly will never be able to finish it, you are in your right and I can totally feel you. But you are not entitled to more than that just because you are a fan.
    Yes, some of the response seem oddly personal. He might be not going 100% but there seems to be an entitlement like attitude that seeks to attack togashi as a person for his faults / work ethic as a manga writer
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Yeah, I agree with Rayleigh and Timeco's (now deleted?) post. I don't get why Robby and others always get so worked up about the topic, Togashi owes you absolutely nothing, if you want to complain, complain with your wallets by not supporting the series.

It's one thing to critique the series, and another to lambast the author (who has no obligation to continue writing as he is extremely wealthy and treats this as a hobby). Attacking/complaining about togashi was funny maybe 6 years ago, but ever since the dark continent saga started your complaints are really running hollow. Imagine personally attacking an author personally for not finishing/unsatisfactorily completing his work - in any situation. None of your business, at best critique his writing skills, not him as a person ("he's lazy" - so WHAT? Such a childish comment).

He clearly has no need to write, yet he writes anyway, probably for the fans, perhaps for his own satisfaction. What difference does it make to you? If you don't like it, stop reading.

Besides, he's actually managed to put out content to release a volume every so often at a slow but reasonably consistent rate after his surgery. That's good enough, let him be.

Inb4 'he should go monthly' He clearly has no interest in writing monthly, and probably just writes/draws when he feels like it, taking long holidays inbetween. He's rich, he can afford to, he probably doesn't want to saddle himself to the gloom of a yearround job. And besides, none of your business! Go complain about the work ethic of someone else, not of someone whose already made it and has no reason to keep working other than as a hobby...

For some reason I thought The magazines like Shonen Jump specifically had a set number of series. Is HxH taking up a slot that could go an author that could go to a new series? Or does Jump have a fluctuationing count?

They add series every once in a while. I don't think they have a hard count but I'm sure they try to keep it at a certain number. I don't think HXH with how little it appears in the magazine is constantly taking up a slot that they could use for other manga.

So he wants to keep writing?

After the reading the interview, i couldn't stop from comparing it with Tite and Bleach after Soul Society... i mean the need to simply continue writing only because there are things that he wants to cover_ giving almost no zone out to plot for an enhancement in their importance to the almost 1000 character out there, and Togashi doing exactly the opposite, not caring about characters and simply playing chess with some to both make things they want to create.

Hanta is more nostalgia than quality to me now, so i'd simply want to know when it will end, and for sure never will buy anything from Togashi, unless it comes in novel format.
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Yeah, I agree with Rayleigh and Timeco's (now deleted?) post. I don't get why Robby and others always get so worked up about the topic, Togashi owes you absolutely nothing, if you want to complain, complain with your wallets by not supporting the series.
    I followed and paid for his story for years and supported. Both manga and anime. That doesn't entitle me to expect him to be chained to his desk and slave his life away, but when doing an ongoing story there is a mutual agreement for the author to do his best to keep telling the story to the end. It DOES give me the right to expect the smallest barest modicum of respect on his end where he at least *pretends* to have a set schedule or a planned return date.

And I haven't bought a volume since the Chimera arc, but obviously my one voice doesn't make much difference there.

As I already said at length, no one gets on Oda's case for doing 3 chapters a month instead of 4, and we all cut Muira a break on Berserk because his schedule is clearly what the story actually needs, and I'm the staunchest defender around for George Martin finishing his novel whenever he finishes it.

If Togashi just came out and said "Every year I am going to release 10 chapters from January to March, and then I am going to take the next nine months off to do whatever", that'd be perfectly fine. Not ideal, but it'd be upfront and honest. The current situation where he does random chapters, with random length breaks, with the art quality sometimes being awful, is just bad. Its bad professionally, its bad for the company he works for, its bad for the bookstores, and yes, its bad for the audience.

If he has no interest in doing a weekly manga... then don't do a weekly manga! Just write novels in the universe or keep story bits contained and do specials or SOMETHING.

It's one thing to critique the series, and another to lambast the author (who has no obligation to continue writing as he is extremely wealthy and treats this as a hobby).
    That's exactly the problem.
    Togashi has earned his success, and the right to not work as hard as he used to.

But, If he wants to treat it like a hobby and not a job, then *schedule* it like one. Finish the story, then do one shots when he feels like, where it doesn't matter if he only does a handful of chapters a year. Not ongoing narrative that never gets anywhere in a format completely inappropriate for his current production schedule.

No one is on Toriyama's case to keep doing Dragonball. He wants to release a 10 chapter Nekomajin or Sandland of Jaco when the inspiration strikes and that's all he wants to do, that's fine. And if Togashi finished this story and then did anything else he desired when he desired, that'd be fine!

It's the current situation that's ridiculous. What if everyone else in Jump insisted on the same structure?

)I *do* think however everyone should get Oda's schedule. 3 weeks on, 1 week off. That seems pretty beneficial overall in the long run for all involved.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    For some reason I thought The magazines like Shonen Jump specifically had a set number of series. Is HxH taking up a slot that could go an author that could go to a new series? Or does Jump have a fluctuationing count?
    It doesn't take up real estate while its on break, no. It fills in a slot when a new series gets cancelled which happens regularly to the lowest ranked thing.
    Last edited by Robby; May 30th, 2018 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I believe that he writes the scenario and the dialogues during the hiatuses. And when he comes back, I guess that he's just drawing the chapters with his assistants (more like, they do everything except the faces) and discussing with them and with his editor about the choices he made.

Honestly, I don't know anything that looks like HxH and gets a weekly release. Also, I think the hiatuses intensified when he started to change his manga into something that much wordy, complex and etcetera. Which means, somewhere during the end of the kimera-ant, after Meruem's introduction. I guess I'll have to check that out. It seems likely though
    Togashi is "famous" for not liking/wanting to have assistants. He used to only have one or two back in the 90's, iirc.
    That's why the art really goes to shit sometimes, if he cant' work then there is no one working on it.

Also the man has chronic back pain, the "he's lazy" comments need to go away a bit.
    I agree that the could easily come up with a better system for making th series, either setting a new publication pace or getting more assistants or someone to draw the series while he simply designs the characters and settings, but if your work involves spending all your working hours hunching over a desk making your condition worse "lazy" is not the best adjective.

It'd be great if another artist could help out and draw the series. That's nothing new. I remember thinking Horikoshi would be great because his series kept getting canceled lol And that was long after it was obvious.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Also the man has chronic back pain, the "he's lazy" comments need to go away a bit.
    No, he doesn't, and his intro boxes frequently contradict that excuse, or show that when he has returned by the second chapter he's already complaining about the workload. It's a polite excuse to cover his lengthy hiatuses that they made no indications of for the first several years. And if he does, that's what assistants are for. There are also standing easels and working on the floor and working digitally so that his back isn't hunched.

I get back pain and neck pain too but I get my work done. On deadline. Every long time artist I know eventually gets some sort of pain, in their fingers or wrist or elbow or back... you accommodate it, rest it, but you still get the work done. If it's truly so bad you can't work a regular schedule anymore and you need a long time to heal... then you stop doing the work the way you've been doing it.

His work habits and getting pissy with editors go back at least as far as cancelling YuYuHakusho in the middle of an arc, in the middle of a volume, and leaving it to the anime to sort out. That's why the final YYH volume has like 100 pages of bonus sketches.

When the fandom is tired discussing how Togashi should fix his schedule, and then triggers a philosophical debate about what is ethical and not

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Togashi is "famous" for not liking/wanting to have assistants. He used to only have one or two back in the 90's, iirc.
    That's why the art really goes to shit sometimes, if he cant' work then there is no one working on it.
    He obviously has many assistants now though
    And this is why the art isn't going to shit anymore. Well, it's rare

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If Togashi just came out and said "Every year I am going to release 10 chapters from January to March, and then I am going to take the next nine months off to do whatever", that'd be perfectly fine. Not ideal, but it'd be upfront and honest.
    That's what he's doing though. Only difference is that he doesn't say it upfront. But it's been years that he's been working like that. We all know he'll publish 10chapters next time, just like we knew it was 10 chapters last time, and the time before.

It's the current situation that's ridiculous. What if everyone else in Jump insisted on the same structure?
    I'd be fine with it. The Japanese are the only ones releasing weekly chapters after all. They're the exception, not the rule

I *do* think however everyone should get Oda's schedule. 3 weeks on, 1 week off. That seems pretty beneficial overall in the long run for all involved.)
    It's not because every chapters are 20page long that it demands the same kind of work.
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

A very wordy manga with good narration and mind-games, is not the same as OnePiece.
    You can't produce such chapters on a weekly basis. And this is one of the reasons why Togashi is struggling to deliver
    Then again you are also the dude who praised BvS so it's rather difficult to take your opinion seriously.

Also go out there and explore the medium. You sound like someone who seem to wank the whole "wordy" and "complex" lazy nature of the series when even a fifth grader can come up with an incomprehensible mess using big words to sound more intellectual than he really is.

Also look up minimalism in art while you're at it.

That's what he's doing though. Only difference is that he doesn't say it upfront. But it's been years that he's been working like that. We all know he'll publish 10chapters next time, just like we knew it was 10 chapters last time, and the time before.
    That's NOT what he's done though. At least one of the recent groups was only 8 chapters, one of them a few years back was 20.

And the gaps between them have been anywhere between 8 and 26 months.

We know not to expect more than 10 at this point. But that's all we get, and that's unofficial expectation, not official promise.

Just give us a definitive official *professional* statement promising X ammount on Y schedule. That's ALL I ask.

I don't care that it's slow. Just show the readers the smallest modicum of courtesy possible from a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    No, he doesn't, and his intro boxes frequently contradict that excuse, or show that when he has returned by the second chapter he's already complaining about the workload. It's a polite excuse to cover his lengthy hiatuses that they made no indications of for the first several years. And if he does, that's what assistants are for. There are also standing easels and working on the floor and working digitally so that his back isn't hunched.

I get back pain and neck pain too but I get my work done. On deadline. Every long time artist I know eventually gets some sort of pain, in their fingers or wrist or elbow or back... you accommodate it, rest it, but you still get the work done. If it's truly so bad you can't work a regular schedule anymore and you need a long time to heal... then you stop doing the work the way you've been doing it.

His work habits and getting pissy with editors go back at least as far as cancelling YuYuHakusho in the middle of an arc, in the middle of a volume, and leaving it to the anime to sort out. That's why the final YYH volume has like 100 pages of bonus sketches.
    >_>
    I see you're his doctor now.

He had back pain back in his YYH days. One time his editor found him drawing lying down so that he could finish the chapter.
    That's why I said chronic pain. Everybody gets somekind of pain from working, if your job is done standing up you get leg pains if it's sitting down you get back pains, etc. Chronic pain is a whole different level, it's a you can't move level, it's a if you try to keep going you're just making sure you'll never be able to do it again.

Half of your post are solutions to his problems and I think they're good, honestly, but they involve changing your habits and the way you work and that's clearly not how the man functions.
    If you wanna call him out for that flaw I'm all for it but he's not being lazy just for the sake of being lazy.

He got tired of YYH by the end of the series, clearly. The lackluster art may reflect his back pain but the lackluster story reflects how he stoped caring about that shonen model he was entering. If you read Level E after reading YYH you see how his storytelling interests changed so clearly. Then he made HXH which is just in the middle of those two models.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartOfDarkness View Post
    Then again you are also the dude who praised BvS so it's rather difficult to take your opinion seriously.

Also go out there and explore the medium. You sound like someone who seem to wank the whole "wordy" and "complex" lazy nature of the series when even a fifth grader can come up with an incomprehensible mess using big words to sound more intellectual than he really is.

Also look up minimalism in art while you're at it.
    The other day I saw your comment how it was about time one user was banned. Keep up the god work. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Jut go back through the history of this thread and others. I'm not going to spend the effort dragging it all up, but the combination of his opening comments, what his editors say about him, what other authors say (or don't say) about him, old interviews, what we get through the grapevine, what we can see with our own eyes in terms of how much work the assistants are doing..

It all adds up to, he doesn't want to put in the work of doing a regular comic.

Back pain is the excuse he started using *after* several years of hiatuses. And it may well be a perfectly legit excuse for him not making the book. It's NOT an excuse for stringing along the fans though. )And he's since had surgergy, claimed he was all better, multiple times, and then been tired and complaining again by his second chapter and back to scribbles by 7.)

And if he doesn't want to treat it as a job, but as a hobby, that's fine. Don't do it in the current professional format then, or have the barest of courtesy to your readers. A schedule, or an apology, something, anything.

Not "well, I guess I actually already ended the series years ago but its still going lol."

While you're at it, look at *my* posting history. I was super positive about his return to work in the first post of both this and least thread, (in 2014 and 2011 respectively). I'm the one that enforced that we stop making "he's too busy playing Dragon Quest" jokes. But he abuses the courtesy and willingness to give him benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Robby; May 30th, 2018 at 09:30 AM.

I think it says a lot when your readership spends more time discussing the absence of your content than the actual content itself. I'm tired of trying to put myself in his shoes and try to figure out what's going on so all I feel is that if he enjoys writing the story as he says, then why not write it? Smh.

The day Togashi dies of excruciating back pain, I'm sure we're all gonna feel really shitty.

Closed Thread

Thread Information