+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 860: The Party Begins At 10

Default Re: Chapter 860: 10:00 Opening Banquet

I'll repeat the sentiment and say that Katakuri ( sorry Dogtooth ) looks really badass. I was really fearing for him being another Gonk, but it seems Oda had planned to make him stick out with a thoroughly slick design. I'm positively pleased. Also Smoothie is looking like even more waifu material than usual. It's cool to know she can wring inorganic objects too and that the juices she make are actually drinkable for other people.

Unfortunately it seems as if Crocodile will certainly not make an appearance. I'm not sure what the coverart is meant to imply, but it certainly seems like he won't be coming.

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    Katakuri is the second son? Doesn't look that old to me...
    I always though Big Mom's life sucking powers could add years to her lifespan

Year of Sanji, let's go!

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    All confusion aside I like Dogtooth better as a name for the character. It fits his appearance well, and feels more in line with the generally western-sounding names the rest of the family have used. And it's nice to see Mangastream actually translating a name into an easy and more fitting equivalent instead of just leaving the Japanese for a change. Shame they somehow couldn't get the given name/surname order right though.
    I agree. But the official Viz translations will probably stick with Katakuri if they've been using that name in previous chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf1234 View Post
    That i could agree on but burgess? I do think luffy/zoro/sanji/jinbe/franky could have defeated him given the chance, his haki was not even that great. Definitely not deserving to be the first fleet captain...
    His Haki didn't seem that great because he was fighting the second strongest person in the Revolutionary Army. I'd say to hold off on calling out Burgess for being weak before he most likely steals a Devil Fruit at some point.

And Franky's not doing anything to Burgess (at least outside of Franky Shogun) if he was getting stumped by Seņor Pink's suplexes.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    I would love if Luffys final enemy for this arc would be Dogtooth/Katakuri.

With Crackers having crazy strong defense it could be very interesting to see how Luffys gear fourth matches with 1st mate of Yonko crew instead of Cracker who was like what ? 3rd I would say.
    If Luffys showing during this arc will be having difficult time against 3rd in Yonko crew then it would be hardly believable that Luffy heading to Wano to fight Kaido has any sense at all. Because thats how it looks right now.
    Unfortunately I don't even see how a 1v1 fight could even happen anymore, if shit hits the fan there will be a big royal rumble with so much going on. Would be sick to see the remaining commanders in action, Big Mom showing us more of her capabilities (which I'm sure she will deliver some devastating attacks in her inevitable tantrum), the Vinsmokes and how they fare against some of the big shots. I would love to see if these underworld leaders have any fight in them or are just figureheads. But please yes Dogtooth vs Luffy.

Year of Sanji, let's go!

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    At last we come to it. As expected, lots of new introductions this chapter. It was necessary, but on the downside it feels like not much is happening.

Not a big fan of Katakuri's design. It isn't bad, on the contrary, but he feels completely out of place among the rest of the Charlotte siblings. With such spiky-punky looks I would expect him to appear in a Mad Max movie, not the candy wonderland that is Big Mom's realm.
    His observation haki adds up to the multiple layers of possible plan fuck-up causes, though.
    i would say he fits right there with the other 2 commanders we saw..both cracker and smoothie have rether normal proportions (except for the smoothie's legs) an not weird proportions at all.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Dogtooth's jellybean marksmanship only cements how much I wish Usopp could've been in this arc instead of Dressrosa.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Is this the return of gomu gomu no baka?

Quote Originally Posted by Watch-man View Post
    Add 2+2.
    After thinking over a hour I think the answer is 4.

Default Re: Chapter 860: The Party Begins At 10

I love Morgans, Umit and Katakuri's designs. Not so big on the others'.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    On a family of pirates whose names are all derived from food and sweets and changing the name into a flower because reasons, I would hardly call that fitting.
    From the wikipedia page for the dogtooth violet: "Its leaves may be consumed raw in salad, or boiled as a leaf vegetable. The bulb is also the source of a starch used in making vermicelli." It's more obscure than the others, but it's not so far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I agree. But the official Viz translations will probably stick with Katakuri if they've been using that name in previous chapters.
    I mean, they corrected the Kozuki clan's name (following the change in the Japanese version, I'll admit), and Dogstorm, and played with the minks' speech quirk between the weekly issues and the volume. They haven't locked in a name in a finished, print volume yet, after all. But maybe that's just me being overly hopeful the official name will be the one I like

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    The answer is actually Fish.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

From the wikipedia page for the dogtooth violet: "Its leaves may be consumed raw in salad, or boiled as a leaf vegetable. The bulb is also the source of a starch used in making vermicelli." It's more obscure than the others, but it's not so far off.
    His name literally comes from starches made from Potatoes.

It's a dumb translation no matter how you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Honestly you made me smile and make pffffft sound. In a good simple way. Congrats Kishido ;)

That cover! I want it to be canon!

The new guys look great. Stussy has that 1920's fashion vibe that I love, Drug looks great but Morgans is easily my favorite. We can also see 4 guests at the center of the final spread we still don't know, so there are more names to be introduced next.

Regarding the Charlotte sons, I was genuinely impressed by Perospero stairs. That was some high level use of DF we saw there. Also the part with him noticing the kids and giving them candies was cute. I wonder if we are supposed to start liking this guy... he would be the first in line to succeed BM, right?
    Katakuri looks really young. He is supposedly older than everyone in there except Perospero... Just like everyone said, he got a design that would probably feel like "another guy trying to look badass" anywhere else, but in OP it is a rare sight so it works (although he kinda looks like Law and that drags him down a bit). Hope his ability is something like Sniper from Yu Yu Hakusho. I wish we can see Snack soon because Katakuri, Smoothie and Cracker form a very cool looking group.

Sending the head of the sick father because Jigra didn't attend to a Tea Party so he could go to his mother funeral was really wicked. But Smoothie's bar was what really gave the "wrong for all the right reasons" atmosphere to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I wish we can see Snack soon because Katakuri, Smoothie and Cracker form a very cool looking group.
    Snack isn't there anymore.

It seems Katakuri was already mentioned back in chapter 843, but MS decided to change his name for whatever reason

Spoiler:

Would someone with a bit more Japanese myself be able to explain the deal with Katakuri/Dogtooth's name. The wiki says Katakuri comes from the word for potato starch, but now Mangastream's translator's note says it's for the dogtooth violet. Is this one of those written as one thing/pronounced as another kind of deals?

All confusion aside I like Dogtooth better as a name for the character. It fits his appearance well, and feels more in line with the generally western-sounding names the rest of the family have used. And it's nice to see Mangastream actually translating a name into an easy and more fitting equivalent instead of just leaving the Japanese for a change. Shame they somehow couldn't get the given name/surname order right though.
    I don't understand any of the topics needed to say this with certainty, but going from wikipedia the dog tooth violet is the Erythronium dens-canis while katakuri is the Erythronium japonicum. So apparently Dogtooth is not an accurate translation. (EDIT: it seems dogtooth can refer to the whole Erythronium genus)
    Also, everyone in the crew is named after food, so giving him the name of a flower doesn't fit the theme. If his name was going to be translated, Potato Starch should be the right one. But since Oda kept his name and his name only in japanese while everyone else in the crew got names in english, it makes more sense to keep it that way (plus, the katakuriko was originally used for a japanese starch, so it makes sense to call it by a japanese name).

Snack isn't there anymore.
    He was not erased from existence, so can he can be seen regardless of not being in the crew anymore.
    Last edited by .access timeco.; March 23rd, 2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: it seems dogtooth can refer to the whole Erythronium genus. But the other points remain

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    That image reminded me moreso of Guts from Berserk lol.
    Wait a second...Zabuza? Is that you?
    Personally I thought of Joseph Joestar, given his prediction of things people were saying.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Imo Katakuri sounds cooler than Dog[word], if we're being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    He was not erased from existence, so can he can be seen regardless of not being in the crew anymore.
    There is a GOOD reason why the 4 Sweet Commanders are only 3 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasouya View Post
    wow early off to read !!!
    so haki can make you see the future ?! ..................... hax
    Yeah I was thinking that as well, a blade thin line going that route. I like the fact that Capone said only a little bit into the future, however he seemed to see pretty far into the future. I want to say a good 5/6 minutes.

Good chapter, I would have rather not having the backstory on the conversation between Jimbe and his crew lasting so long. However I enjoyed all the information being presented regarding the guests. However for such an important event, I find it odd so few guests. The Ceasar Clown lookalike said those guests were the last ones, yet when you see the party the only additional guests were Germa66.

I don't know if it was just me but did anyone else get a Fist of The North Star vibe from BM second son? If the second son has a bounty that high what is the bounty of the first son, he must be a monster. I assume that since he is first he falls outside the realm of sweet commander and has some other more important title.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information