+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Stranger Things

  1. #1

    Default Stranger Things



    Hidden:


    Sorry if this thread already exists somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it.

    Is anyone else a big fan of this show? It was, by far, my favorite series to watch last year, and I'm extremely pumped for the next season to come out this Halloween.

    The 80's nostalgia is strong with this one, the story is pretty great, and all of the actors (child actors included) are extremely talented! If you haven't seen it yet, then you seriously ought to check it out on Netflix.

  2. #2
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    I'm a big fan. It's like The Goonies mixed with a Stephen King mini-series.

    ...A GOOD Stephen King mini-series.
    Last edited by Count Mario; February 10th, 2017 at 01:53 PM.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  3. #3

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    I definitely enjoyed watching it, but I feel like people are overselling it by calling it the best thing ever. It's well-written and well-acted though which put it above most things already.

  4. #4
    Colin Baker Apologist Mr. Zoro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mobile

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    I agree that people tend to exaggerate on how awesome it is, but it really is one of the better shows out there. I'm super hesitant to call it the greatest thing ever, but I sure do love it. They storytelling is great, I love the atmosphere and the way they slowly unfold the mystery and creepiness. And I was really impressed with the young cast! (Anyone else think 11 looks like Matt Smith, the eleventh Doctor, with a shaved head?)

    And… does Winona Ryder just refuse to age, or what?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    I guess part of it for me is I was not particularly fond of the monster, in terms of the way it was designed and the way it was used narratively. All of the show's details and atmosphere were great but the actual storyline was weak.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    I loved it. Great show and also great nostalgia for me.

    Also Dustin is totally me as kid.

    Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

  7. #7

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Just finished it, really great show.

  8. #8
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Season two of this show came out two days ago. It has nine episodes instead of the first season only having eight.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  9. #9

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Almost finished season 2, those fuckers got me, there are ads every fucking where in the sub-- I always get influenced like a baby, I bet I'm not the only victim...


    I have one episode left to watch, and I can say that it's as good as season 1-- if not slightly better. The plot is still weak, the story is still childish and graphic/dark at the same time and is relying a lot on aesthetics.
    I wish this show was more like IndianaJones and not StarWars--- if you get what I mean.

  10. #10
    Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Italy

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    I have one episode left to watch, and I can say that it's as good as season 1-- if not slightly better. The plot is still weak, the story is still childish and graphic/dark at the same time and is relying a lot on aesthetics.
    I wish this show was more like IndianaJones and not StarWars--- if you get what I mean.
    Spoilers ahead for Season 2

    Oh my, scathing. I'm at episode 7 of season 2, and
    Spoiler:
    it's been very hit and miss. Loving the Will/Will's mum/Dustin/Nancy/Jonathan/Steve bits, not so much into the Max character, or the Eleven/Hopper parts, or the Eleven going at it alone parts. Not a fan of the cringy drama, basically, and the plot doesn't feel focused. Season 1 had drama, but it was less pronounced, and everything seemed to point in one direction. Here... sometimes it feels like what I'm watching isn't going to help the main conflict in any way, which can get very annoying if you're super into Plotline A and then you're forced through 30 minutes of B Plot before A Plot resumes... especially if A and B really don't seem to share any plotthreads whatsoever.

    Don't like how they've split up the boys+El into they're little subgroups. They work best as a team, and by separating them I feel like they've lost the interactions and it shows flaws in the writing. Especially Lucas, Eleven, and Mike. They've suffered the most from it. Will gets a pass because he's got his whole legit issues going on, and Dustin remains cool because he's the best of the bunch.

    Steve's been the highlight of the series, and seems to mesh effortlessly with every single member of the cast. He just comes off as natural and realistic, when so often the series struggles with portraying characters 'being themselves'. Nancy and Jonathan's side-plot was cool, if a little unrealistic. Like, really, it felt a little forced that they'd suddenly be going through all that effort, especially with so little build-up.

    I really like what they've done with the villain, turning it away from the eviiiil government, and making it more about the creepy monster shadow entity terrorising Will and the town, with the government struggling to fix the mess it made in season 1. Not sure if I think the multiple demogorgon spawns were necessary, sort of makes the shadow-entity overpowered, but I have to see how they resolve the whole thing before I cast a final judgment on that.

    Oh and Billy needs to die. F*ck that guy. Season 1 Steve was bad, but this is another level of being annoying. Hope he gets eaten by the demogorgons.

    EDIT: Still watching, Episode 7 is ENTIRELY B PLOT. See what I mean! I'd love 11 to be the focus, IF SHE WAS RELEVANT, but she's not! I want to see what the entire cast is going through! Not punk bs. COME ON, GET ON WITH IT.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Spoilers ahead for Season 2

    Oh my, scathing. I'm at episode 7 of season 2, and
    Spoiler:
    Nancy and Jonathan's side-plot was cool, if a little unrealistic.
    Not as forced as her other relationship was

    and yeah, episode7 was cringey ( I mean, lots of things make me cringe but ep 7 was just the cringiest stuff) and was there just to set-up another season

  12. #12
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    So first 2episodes of stranger things

    Spoiler:

    I find Mike to be quite annoying for now I hope it won't last to long.

    He seems to just decided to kind of moody all the time, pushing his friend and become obsess with Eleven. It was kind of the case last season but their was at least some effort put into not just dishing his friends. The way he acted at the halloween party with constantly being moppy and being mad about the girl and pushing them away when Will panicked makes me think it might last a while.


    I also really don't like that they seem to be trying to make him a solo act when being a cast was one the thing I enjoyed the most last season. Will sharing his experience should have been a thing with all 4 of them not just Mike.

    I also it might be just me but at some moment the dialogue seems less natural and compelling than usual than usual.

    I am fairly interested in the whole cop and Eleven kind of living together thing.




  13. #13
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    So first 2episodes of stranger things

    Spoiler:

    I find Mike to be quite annoying for now I hope it won't last to long.

    He seems to just decided to kind of moody all the time, pushing his friend and become obsess with Eleven. It was kind of the case last season but their was at least some effort put into not just dishing his friends. The way he acted at the halloween party with constantly being moppy and being mad about the girl and pushing them away when Will panicked makes me think it might last a while.


    I also really don't like that they seem to be trying to make him a solo act when being a cast was one the thing I enjoyed the most last season. Will sharing his experience should have been a thing with all 4 of them not just Mike.

    I also it might be just me but at some moment the dialogue seems less natural and compelling than usual than usual.

    I am fairly interested in the whole cop and Eleven kind of living together thing.

    Spoiler:

    Your worries will unfortunately fester for the rest of the season with Mike's brattiness and bond with Will. Dustin and Lucas get paired up in exchange.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  14. #14

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    I'm the only person who likes Billy I think

    Probably because he's nervous af and mean toward the characters I find annoying---- meaning everyone. Except maybe Jonathan, he's a good lad too.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    I feel like there hasn't been enough love for
    Spoiler:
    the Dustin/Steve buddy comedy. As soon as Dustin saw Steve and recruited him I knew it would be my favorite thing that I'd never known I needed. And it certainly did not disappoint.

    If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

  16. #16
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    I feel like there hasn't been enough love for
    Spoiler:
    the Dustin/Steve buddy comedy. As soon as Dustin saw Steve and recruited him I knew it would be my favorite thing that I'd never known I needed. And it certainly did not disappoint.
    I only didn't mention that because Desa has only seen the first two episodes.

    Spoiler:

    Steve is the best character. Besides maybe Hopper. I'm so glad that Steve got to interact with somebody else, let alone one the kids, instead of being stick on love triangle avenue for so long.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  17. #17
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    Spoiler:

    Your worries will unfortunately fester for the rest of the season with Mike's brattiness and bond with Will. Dustin and Lucas get paired up in exchange.
    Spoiler:
    Damnit. At least I am warned. It's why I have never been a fan of sequels to good self-contained stories. The follow-up always has something that annoys me.

    It's just annoying to see considering how he forced El into the group and kept defending her even when she sent his friend crashing into a car. And now he is being a dick to the girl for no reason. Fuck that kid.

    That new cool kid in school is 11/10 in terms of being a stereotype. Which let's be clear is also a plus.



  18. #18
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Spoiler:
    Damnit. At least I am warned. It's why I have never been a fan of sequels to good self-contained stories. The follow-up always has something that annoys me.

    It's just annoying to see considering how he forced El into the group and kept defending her even when she sent his friend crashing into a car. And now he is being a dick to the girl for no reason. Fuck that kid.

    That new cool kid in school is 11/10 in terms of being a stereotype. Which let's be clear is also a plus.
    Spoiler:
    Other than being a tool, his character is defined by being lovesick and the default leader of the crew because he's a plain relatable white boy protagonist.

    Max is interesting and alright. I expected more out of her relationship with her older brother though. The story plays up the "oh no, she's a girl that's actually assertive and geeky" part in the beginning, but they thankfully get over that after the first couple episodes.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  19. #19

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Billy thoughts.

    Spoiler:
    I had the weird feeling that Billy was hitting on Steve.

  20. #20
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Stranger Things

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Billy thoughts.

    Spoiler:
    I had the weird feeling that Billy was hitting on Steve.
    Spoiler:

    Oh, he was certainly hitting on him in the season finale. All over his face until he couldn't take any more.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts