+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 854: What Am I Doing

Default Re: Chapter 854: What Am I Doing

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    If that was the case, then Oda should have had her doubt Sanji's facade (which is what Luffy did) or had a quick Arlong Park flashback panel or two (Jimbei even referenced how he and Luffy first met in a prison when Luffy and Nami got rescued from the book). But right after shedding a few tears at the end of Chapter 844, she just completely gets over Sanji while Luffy is the only one to be obsessed with him. Not that Nami shouldn't disagree with how Luffy executes his feelings, but it's disappointing to not see more from Nami when even Brook, the latest Straw Hat, can give an epic speech. But all is redeemed if Nami somehow saves Sanji at the wedding like he did for her at Thriller Bark.

That's too bad.

That's very true. But it doesn't change how moving it was to see Chopper put his life on the line to save his adoptive father. I don't advocate what Hililuk did, but I get the mindset behind it and still get invested in it. I suppose it's a guilty pleasure.

Still makes for one very emotion churning death for me in the context of that scene alone.

Um, I never called her a master manipulator lol. In fact, my definition of her character was exactly the former. Just add kooky businesswoman with ethically grey principles to it. If anything, NOW she's a master manipulator with how deceitful she's acting.

Anyways, I'm still cool with Big Mom. It's a disappointing twist, but not really out-of-character that much at all. I just wish Oda kept up the execution from before the Pudding reveal with how charismatically unique it was. And that's one major reason why I don't think the Straw Hats will (or even can) beat her to survive or will escape during the wedding.

I really don't want to talk about Marineford lol. But basically, Ace was a prideful idiot (not that it was out-of-character for him to do what he did) and it was too generically action-heavy without any payoff. Only teases, which is expected because it's not the final saga of the series, where we can expect those battles to get proper conclusions. The reasons why it's dislikable besides Ace are similar to why Enies Lobby gets criticized (specifically after Robin declares she wants to live, where the fights become the sole focus for dozens of consecutive chapters). It's still better paced than Dressrosa's third act due to Water 7 supporting it, but still.
    wait you dont like Enies Lobby either, how could you!!!!

No but for a real here's a question I have

These arcs where they have a relatively "3rd part" fighting stage

Alabasta
    Skypiea
    Ennies lobby
    Thriller Bark
    Marineford
    fishman island
    punk hazard
    dressrosa

Could you rate how well paced each was?
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Yes, planning doesn't make things good just because they're planned but it helps alot, like in this case.
    Not really in this case sadly.

It's not the end of the series, it's right smack in the middle. I think it can be considered a fair warning.
    This is nothing like Naruto where a couple of months before the series ends it turns out that the big bad villain wasn't the figure being built for years but a god no one had ever heard about before.And the fact that someone is able to handle two devil fruits also has direct connection to how devil fruits work.
    You seem to have switch the debate from how Oda could have the reader interested other ways to him being the final villain. Even if he is giving him 2 devil fruits was not necessary. He had just put on his crew the most dangerous criminal to history and was a D.

And Blackbeard is THE final villain, not just any major villain. Everything about him needs to be way beyond special and dangerous. It's gotta make people say "Krieg was bad but Blackbeard was worst", "Crocodile was bad but he had nothing on Blackbeard". You can replace Krieg and Crocodile for any villain in the series.
    Not the debate

Hiluluk taught Chopper that Skull and Bones meant "Life", "Hope", "Dreams", all good stuff. Since he was the only person who talked to Chopper, Chopper only knew what Hiluluk told him.
    Sure he told him pirates are cool.
    Hiluluk ate the soup as consequence to his actions, he was not a good doctor or professor, so he set Chopper towards failure despite his best intentions. Again, he was clearly someone who thought about the imediate future, that's a flaw. Flaws get you killed a lot of times.
    Flaws also makes you a shitty chracter sometimes.

And according to the world of OP, anyone who raises a black flag has made themselves a pirate, he had a black flag with a skull and crossbones so he was a pirate.
    Besides, it seems that the japanese word for pirate -kaizoku- means sea thief, it's all the same. The point is that he's a criminal.
    Sure. And we have seen better role model criminals.

And I'm not trying to convince you that Hiluluk was a good guy but I think you're only focusing on the actions of the character and not his intentions.
    And you give zero interest to his actions. As I say I wouldn't give damn about how awful he was if one of his last action wasn't letting his son that want to become a doctor poison him.

Hiluluk was the ultimate dreamer and the lowest form executioner. Everything he wanted was to make good things but every thing he did ended up on the other side of the spectrum.
    Letting Chopper poison him was a conscious choice.

You don't need think that he was an effective role model or even that he was smart but he was a good parent because all that he did was because he thought it would help Chopper.
    He had good intentions but same can be said of the road to hell. He was still shitty. Thankfully he didn't manage to traumatize chopper.

You don't have to be friends with him to appreciate the character or the story. Stories are meant to make you feel and think, so if a character got to you that much (either to the positive or negative side) you should consider more as a positive experience and try to understand all sides of it, it will help you understand yourself.
    I won't congratulate Oda for making such an awful character and trying to pass him as a positive one.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    wait you dont like Enies Lobby either, how could you!!!!

No but for a real here's a question I have

These arcs where they have a relatively "3rd part" fighting stage

Alabasta
    Skypiea
    Ennies lobby
    Thriller Bark
    Marineford
    fishman island
    punk hazard
    dressrosa

Could you rate how well paced each was?
    Eh. I would prefer to save that for when I feel like re-reading the manga around the summer. It's hard to gauge them off the top of my head with fair objectivity since I know I don't remember the pacing of the battles in relation to the whole arc as well as I would like. But I can say for sure that the only ones with obvious flaws that put them at the bottom are Marineford and Dressrosa. And I definitely appreciated Skypiea and Thriller Bark's unorthodox approach of spreading out battles than showcasing them in a consecutive marathon (not that this automatically places them at the top).

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Will Bobbin follow Sanji? Sanji fights him while his captain eats? That be funny. Bite / Kick.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Boring bland running away, Big Mom's hype status non existent; Jinbei, Shrimp of the sea escaped unharmed, the incompetence of Big Mom's people and....Sanji's lame struggle: "I love him, I love him not...."

whole arc is fast except sanji which makes it look wierd

Karaage-san, Aishiteru! AfroSamurai's Avatar

Anyone seeing the Red/Purple wedding GoT references all throughout the chapters? I certainly am.

I just want to say, Brook sure have some bone !!!

can't wait for the "Red Wedding" to plunge into chaos.

ps.

i want a Brook doll ?!, key chain ? LOL.
    Agree to Differ
    Some People Feel the Rain, Others just get wet
    Why so Serious?, Let's Put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by AfroSamurai View Post
    Anyone seeing the Red/Purple wedding GoT references all throughout the chapters? I certainly am.
    Nope, you must be the first one to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    They talk so much on how BM crew is good at gathering information and they struggle to get accurate info of things happening on their own island. Shame.
    The Luffy part is complete BS, but the Chopper/tree dude part makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by firelord111 View Post
    gomu gomu no yari back those days luffy had to be much more creative
    Thanks.

My wish would be difficult to make it happen xD
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

For the reunion i hope it will be only luffy and sanji. I imagine him saying something like : "i’m vinsmoke sanji the cook of the future pirate king"

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Not really in this case sadly.

You seem to have switch the debate from how Oda could have the reader interested other ways to him being the final villain. Even if he is giving him 2 devil fruits was not necessary. He had just put on his crew the most dangerous criminal to history and was a D.

Not the debate

Sure he told him pirates are cool.

Flaws also makes you a shitty chracter sometimes.

Sure. And we have seen better role model criminals.

And you give zero interest to his actions. As I say I wouldn't give damn about how awful he was if one of his last action wasn't letting his son that want to become a doctor poison him.

Letting Chopper poison him was a conscious choice.

He had good intentions but same can be said of the road to hell. He was still shitty. Thankfully he didn't manage to traumatize chopper.

I won't congratulate Oda for making such an awful character and trying to pass him as a positive one.
    Regarding Blackbeard, he's been following the same path ever since we heard about him.
    Every time he shows up he seems to get more terrifying. He either looks more powerfull or more evil, because he's the final villain that Oda has been building for years.

I think you're underestimating how much Oda wants him to be the worst of the worst of the worst.

Regarding Hiluluk, I'm not trying to change your opinion of him as a (fictional) person, all that you've said about him is true.
    Doctorine was in the long run a much better mentor and role model, not even a question. But Hiluluk was a representation of what Oda always does when he talks about family, love above all.

You think Hiluluk was absolutly dumb (I agree) and that his actions were beyond stupid and it's just by pure luck that they didn't hurt Chopper more (I mostly agree too) just like Doctorine, and she still she some tears because she knew what his intentions were. It was an absolut failure but all that moved him was love and care.
    If you don't see the sad beauty in it now, don't forget the story. Keep seeing more of the world, maybe one day you'll see it.

I'm interested in how Pudding can decipher Polynegliffs.
    IF YOU DIE, I'LL KILL YOU....

Quote Originally Posted by Sereques View Post
    I'm interested in how Pudding can decipher Polynegliffs.
    I strongly believe that's just Linlin's assumption, usually people who are not the Gorosei, CD's and can't read poneghlyps are plain clueless about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I strongly believe that's just Linlin's assumption, usually people who are not the Gorosei, CD's and can't read poneghlyps are plain clueless about them.
    What a coincidence!

I strongly believe that, when talking about Poneglyphs, Oda started drawing fillers since Alabasta and to refer the Void Century, there's an old man in Raftel waiting with a 800 years old wanted poster with the story in three lines and a patch saying Pirate King for the first bastard in stepping on the island.
    Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something can be known about it,
    knowledge about it can't be communicated to others
    . Even if it can be communicated, it cannot be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    It's more likely there's been a case of some three eyes managing to read a PG. Or there was a hunt for three eyes for a while, from WG side and the underworld discovered why. Or Pudding's father told all about it to BM. Possibly before she actually obtained the RPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Sanji is going to run to the prisoner's library and hear that Luffy and Nami were burned alive, making Sanji sad and hopeless again.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Sanji is going to run to the prisoner's library and hear that Luffy and Nami were burned alive, making Sanji sad and hopeless again.
    I don't know what's more hilarious. The hypothetical situation's absurdity or how I can actually see Oda writing something like that in the next chapter (although he'll still forlornly go to where Luffy is supposed to meet him out of melancholy obligation).

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Nami: I object to this wedding!
    Sanji: Naaa..mi you are alive, but where is..Luf..? FLASHBACK!

Sanji uses Sky Walk

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

My bad, I meant Sanji gets all heart eyes and tell Nami cute things, then he leaves.
    Hidden:
    Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information