+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Funimation Film Gold Discussion

Default Re: Funimation Film Gold Discussion

Honestly what is the point of this madness?

Hey, I was just happy they we got the newest One Piece movie in mainstream theaters dubbed for a limited time. Being part of this fandom it was just a nice thing to see. I really don't get why we're having this pointless discussion on how popular it is in America. As a long time anime fan I have seen series tank, series exceed my expectations and all between. Way before 4Kids and even before I learned how to download stuff off of the computer I was introduced to this fandom through fansubs, and I sustained myself through those wonderful "Sunkist" HK Bootlegs. The fandom, the anime industry and myself has come a LONG way since then.

This paranoia about the status of the franchises status in America is ridiculous. Worst case scenario is we go back to watching fansubs, reading scanlations and buying the Japanese volumes. I don't personally see that happening anytime soon. The only thing we lost was the Toonami slot and we didn't get that until after 7 years of the DVD releases, and 5 years after the simulcast started. Also next to Naruto the One Piece manga was the only other manga series Viz "binged released" several volumes at once to catch up with the Japanese release (they may have done this with Bleach too but I can't recall). If we lose the dub, we lose the dub. If they cancel the English release of the manga then so be it but why not wait until we actually cross that bridge instead of assuming the worst.

A little analogy to all this: I'm also a fan of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic and because of a variety of issues I haven't seen a new issue since the beginning of the year. After speculation on several fan boards of what information was being given I simply archived my remaining books, made peace with it and moved on. If the book starts up again, great. If not, it doesn't change my previous commitment to the fandom. So I really don't see what all the point of all this drama is.
    Check out my artwork and my musings here:
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/

Can a mod ban Rome again? Because he's doing the same thing he always does and I'm sick and tired of it.

I exist...I guess....

Never mind, just checked - 33rd place on the list overall. Hmm. There are quite a few anime films with much less showings and theaters and they STILL beat One Piece. Lmao oh geez...
    … but when you compare it to the actual list you SHOULD compare it to - the overall anime movie list, you see how short it actually fell. You have movies that aired in less than 100 theaters and less days, and they STILL beat OP. How is that preforming good? At best it preformed mediocre.
    Like I said, I'm not sure about that given that there are many anime movies with farrrrr fewer showings that still beat Film Gold. This is where you use common-sense - doesn't that feel disappointing to you? Look at the list again. Pay attention to more than just the box-office total.
    Most of the 30 movies above it are of movies that came out when anime was at the height of popularity in the US that are based on popular properties (like the Pokemon movies, Yugioh the Movie and the Digimon: The Movie), movies based on series that are still popular due to nostalgia (like DBZ, Yugioh and Naruto), movies which had gotten widespread acclaim, even outside the typical anime community, prior to American release (like Your Name.) and movies by Ghibli. And it’s apparently a terrible thing that a One Piece film could only get as high as #33 amongst movies like these? You honestly think it makes sense to compare its performance to movies like these?

You complain about how One Piece doesn’t have a mainstream presence and seem to think anyone who doesn’t want to act as negatively as you all the time must be in denial. However, the majority of us have just accepted its lack of mainstream presence a long time ago. Funimation would also know this and know what to expect from this series; their measurement of what constitutes “success” for this series probably isn’t as overly biased as yours. Not to mention that, at this point, there are too many hurdles to cross for it to ever be a mainstream presence (length, poor history, a smaller anime audience in general, etc.). So, given all this, we instead judge this series based on how well it can feasibly do within its circumstances, not by comparing it to levels of success that it could never hope to match at this point. Comparisons like that are hardly the “logical conclusions” you think they are because “success” means different things for different properties that should be measured under different circumstances.

It doesn't. I've already came to terms with OP's ceiling of success here in the U.S.
    You’re constant, unrelenting posts complaining about it seems to suggest otherwise…

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Can a mod ban Rome again? Because he's doing the same thing he always does and I'm sick and tired of it.
    Oh. are you sick of a vocal person who has a different view on a subject?

TOO BAD.

This isn't a YES MAN chamber where everyone agrees with the same outlook. I'm doing nothing wrong. You just don't like my different outlook on something and that SHOULD NOT be a bannable offence. If i get banned for this, that is bullshit and proves that Arlong Park only wants everyone agreeing or seeing something in the exact same way with no room for discussion or differing opinions.

I have a very strong opinionated view on things. I am blunt. Extremely fucking blunt. That doesn't mean I'm breaking any rules just because you pixies can't handle my views. Get over this and yourself.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by midod View Post
    Most of the 30 movies above it are of movies that came out when anime was at the height of popularity in the US that are based on popular properties (like the Pokemon movies, Yugioh the Movie and the Digimon: The Movie), movies based on series that are still popular due to nostalgia (like DBZ, Yugioh and Naruto), movies which had gotten widespread acclaim, even outside the typical anime community, prior to American release (like Your Name.) and movies by Ghibli. And it’s apparently a terrible thing that a One Piece film could only get as high as #33 amongst movies like these? You honestly think it makes sense to compare its performance to movies like these?

You complain about how One Piece doesn’t have a mainstream presence and seem to think anyone who doesn’t want to act as negatively as you all the time must be in denial. However, the majority of us have just accepted its lack of mainstream presence a long time ago. Funimation would also know this and know what to expect from this series; their measurement of what constitutes “success” for this series probably isn’t as overly biased as yours. Not to mention that, at this point, there are too many hurdles to cross for it to ever be a mainstream presence (length, poor history, a smaller anime audience in general, etc.). So, given all this, we instead judge this series based on how well it can feasibly do within its circumstances, not by comparing it to levels of success that it could never hope to match at this point. Comparisons like that are hardly the “logical conclusions” you think they are because “success” means different things for different properties that should be measured under different circumstances.

You’re constant, unrelenting posts complaining about it seems to suggest otherwise…

Do the math. A movie with 375 screens should not be losing to another with less than 100, much less something that wasn't even on fore a week... and yet Film Gold still lost to that. That is bad, you cannot twist that around in any which way to prove anything other than that was a poor showing. It'd be one thing if each series has equal showings, but that's obviously not the case. Film Gold should not be lagging behind something with much less showings. It's not a good look.

And again, I am with peace at it's status here. Kinda have to be at this point, because it ain't changing. But when someone says something did great, when it obviously didnt... especially when its coming from the same fans who don't know how box office, ratings or anything like that works (what with their constant denial that OP was doing fine on Toonami, when it obviously wasn't - as I always said) then I have to step in and prove them wrong. And when they argue back, swearing that they know what they're talking about, talking about stuff they have no proof on.... then that kinda stuff gets my blood-boiling and thats when I become critical. I can't stand false information. I can't stand people being so overly optimistic that they just take that at face-value and head-canon they're favorite thing doing better than it actually is... I can't stand that shit. Be logical. Look how things play out. Don't just look at something and automatically think "ITS DOING GREAT!" without comparing other various factors. Some of these people seem so naive and simple it's actually kinda embarrassing listening to them talk about stuff like this. It reeks of them needing to educate themselves on how this business works. I can't stand that shit either - if you don't know, you don't know... don't pretend like you do.

And again, OP is doing fine for itself. Never said it wasn't. But compared to other similar series, it's a far-cry to match any of them here. And I'm just disappointed with that, since it's so successful in Japan. But thats about it. I like to talk about it on these boards, especially since its goes against all the yes-men in this forum. But that doesn't mean it really bothers me. Posting on a forum does not equal real life problems. So thats my take on it, take it or leave it. Don't really care what you do - But I have a right to state my opinion as bluntly and as often as I want.

But yeah, I get it - can't really expect much from One Piece at this point so we gotta settle for otherwise mediocre showings and treat that as the best it'll ever do, because thats about all it can accomplish. Settling for less is all we can do at this point.
    Last edited by ProjectRevolt; April 24th, 2017 at 10:49 PM.

If you were solely just a blunt poster who had a different point of view, then that wouldn't be a big issue.
    The issue is that you've been banned numerous times on this forum (and other forums as well) for being extremely abrasive, derailing threads into the same topic repeatedly, and plain old concern trolling.
    And the fact that you still come back to this forum and do the exact same nonsense shows that you haven't learned and don't want to learn anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    If you were solely just a blunt poster who had a different point of view, then that wouldn't be a big issue.
    The issue is that you've been banned numerous times on this forum (and other forums as well) for being extremely abrasive, derailing threads into the same topic repeatedly, and plain old concern trolling.
    And the fact that you still come back to this forum and do the exact same nonsense shows that you haven't learned and don't want to learn anything.
    I've been banned for being a blunt poster who has a different point of view.

So obviously that IS a big issue here. Apparently.

I don't even care, really. I'll be banned for sure again. I know how Arlong Park and their echo chamber ways work.

And I'll be back and back and back all the same to speak my piece when someone says something ridiculous. And I'll be banned again and I'll be back again.

So yeah, ban me or not, it won't stop me. This world needs to stop being so sensitive to differing views and the way they're said. We don't all have to be passive lil' fairies.

And I don't need to learn anything to be here. You can hop off that mess right G'DAMN NOW.

Which should I watch first, Heart of Gold or Film Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Which should I watch first, Heart of Gold or Film Gold?
    Heart if Gold takes place before Film Gold, so watch that one first.

Although really, all you need to watch is Film Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRevolt View Post
    I've been banned for being a blunt poster who has a different point of view.

So obviously that IS a big issue here. Apparently.

I don't even care, really. I'll be banned for sure again. I know how Arlong Park and their echo chamber ways work.

And I'll be back and back and back all the same to speak my piece when someone says something ridiculous. And I'll be banned again and I'll be back again.

So yeah, ban me or not, it won't stop me. This world needs to stop being so sensitive to differing views and the way they're said. We don't all have to be passive lil' fairies.

And I don't need to learn anything to be here. You can hop off that mess right G'DAMN NOW.

I exist...I guess....

Do the math. A movie with 375 screens should not be losing to another with less than 100, much less something that wasn't even on fore a week... and yet Film Gold still lost to that. That is bad, you cannot twist that around in any which way to prove anything other than that was a poor showing. It'd be one thing if each series has equal showings, but that's obviously not the case. Film Gold should not be lagging behind something with much less showings. It's not a good look.
    Again, most of the movies above it had higher chances for success due to the nature of when they were released, the history behind them, and/or the people involved. For example, a Ghibli film can have fewer theatrical showings for a severely limited time, but guess what? Ghibli is a well know name that has proven successful, even beyond the standard anime audience. So, naturally, it can draw in a wider audience than a more niche title could, even with less theatrical showings. Same goes for movies banking more on a large nostalgia audience. Same goes for movies that came out back in the early 2000s, when anime as a whole wasn’t such a niche market. Context is important beyond just amounts of showings and theater numbers.

And Funimation would know that One Piece Film Gold had none of these things going for it, as well as how it does in general. So what makes you think they will be looking at these other movies and using those to determine whether this was a success for them? Just because something doesn’t fit within your definition of success or your expectations doesn’t mean it won’t be considered one.

Some of these people seem so naive and simple it's actually kinda embarrassing listening to them talk about stuff like this. It reeks of them needing to educate themselves on how this business works. I can't stand that shit either - if you don't know, you don't know... don't pretend like you do.
    I’m pretty sure this can apply to you just as much as anyone else here…
    But that doesn't mean it really bothers me.
    Then you wouldn’t make so many clearly angry, long-winded posts on the subject so frequently…

I'll take Jose Argumedo's statement about it doing well as fact, but I won't take anything that Rome ever says as fact. It's clear that despite accusing people of doing the same thing, he only believes in what he wants to believe in.

Anyways, Film Gold is now out on most digital platforms a whole week before it comes out physically. Its now available in both English and Japanese with English subtitles on Amazon, Microsoft/Xbox Movies and TV and the Playstation Store
    Last edited by TheGreatCaptainUsopp; April 25th, 2017 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by midod View Post
    Again, most of the movies above it had higher chances for success due to the nature of when they were released, the history behind them, and/or the people involved. For example, a Ghibli film can have fewer theatrical showings for a severely limited time, but guess what? Ghibli is a well know name that has proven successful, even beyond the standard anime audience. So, naturally, it can draw in a wider audience than a more niche title could, even with less theatrical showings. Same goes for movies banking more on a large nostalgia audience. Same goes for movies that came out back in the early 2000s, when anime as a whole wasn’t such a niche market. Context is important beyond just amounts of showings and theater numbers.

And Funimation would know that One Piece Film Gold had none of these things going for it, as well as how it does in general. So what makes you think they will be looking at these other movies and using those to determine whether this was a success for them? Just because something doesn’t fit within your definition of success or your expectations doesn’t mean it won’t be considered one.

I’m pretty sure this can apply to you just as much as anyone else here…

Then you wouldn’t make so many clearly angry, long-winded posts on the subject so frequently…
    I know what I'm talking about.

After all, I was the only one to KNOW OP was in trouble of being canceled on Toonami due to various happenings unlike the rest of the ducks here who kept on saying it was doing fine regardless of the clues that it wasn't.

People here don't seem to pick up on things like that, you expect me to believe that's any different with these box office results? Yeah, I don't think so. I know when something looks like it's underperforming. And I won't sugarcoat that it is simply because I like the series.

That's only because he's being positive and despite all the crap you see that would point to Film Gold underperforming, you choose to follow the positive outlook solely because it's positive.

That's denial. But whatever, like I expect anything less from you people at Arlong Park.

I like how the PlayStation Store isn't even bothering to advertise it. You got the new Naruto box set, Sailor Moon R and Avatar the Last Airbender all being advertised for being new... but no One Piece Film Gold. Smh... you actually have to dig pretty deep just to see they even have it. Shit like this is why OP is largely unnoticed here in the West.

After all, I was the only one to KNOW OP was in trouble of being canceled on Toonami due to various happenings unlike the rest of the ducks here who kept on saying it was doing fine regardless of the clues that it wasn't.

People here don't seem to pick up on things like that, you expect me to believe that's any different with these box office results? Yeah, I don't think so. I know when something looks like it's underperforming. And I won't sugarcoat that it is simply because I like the series.

That's only because he's being positive and despite all the crap you see that would point to Film Gold underperforming, you choose to follow the positive outlook solely because it's positive.

That's denial. But whatever, like I expect anything less from you people at Arlong Park.

I like how the PlayStation Store isn't even bothering to advertise it. You got the new Naruto box set, Sailor Moon R and Avatar the Last Airbender all being advertised for being new... but no One Piece Film Gold. Smh... you actually have to dig pretty deep just to see they even have it. Shit like this is why OP is largely unnoticed here in the West.
    You need to chill dude, you're going to end up getting banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatCaptainUsopp View Post
    You need to chill dude, you're going to end up getting banned
    And?

That means I should stop being myself? That means I should stop expressing myself?

What kind of fucking self-respecting forum would ban someone over expressing themselves?

I know for certain I'll be banned, but AP has always had suspect banning policies. If you stir up the pot too much with your different views, it's a bannable offence.

Think of all the butt-hurt pixies who can't take a different and blunt point of view! Oh the humanity! >_>

And that my friend, is bullshit.

i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar

IRONIC. you are calling people butt hurt but the that is so upset is YOU.

NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

I exist...I guess....

This statement means nothing to me nor does it prove anything…

No, no you weren’t. It had been obvious for quite some time that One Piece was not doing well on Toonami, regardless of how some people may have been trying to spin it. The only possible hope for the series was that it could do “well enough” to justify staying in the 2:30 timeslot it got stuck in…which we can see it couldn’t. Frankly, I’m surprised it lasted as long as it did. Just because not everyone was commenting on it doesn’t mean you were the “only one” who believed that (though I’m pretty sure there were several who did comment on it). And being right in this scenario doesn’t mean you “know what you’re talking about” about everything…

Ok…still doesn’t make your opinions any more correct or more informed (especially if “something looks like it is underperforming” is your “evidence”)...

Once you get past the second hand embarrassment, Rome's posts are fairly entertaining to read. This dude's so dedicated to being able to post on this cartoon forum nobody necessarily wants him in, and goes off on these sanctimonious tangents about why he should be able to again and again. Let him have his fun, hahah

Not just one cartoon forum. Every cartoon forum.

Ah screw it. I tire of this -

I INSTANTLY BELIEVE YOU GUYS!

You're right. You guys are right and I am completely wrong. There was never a chance.

So let's let bygones be bygones --

*holds hand out*

....and start over. :-)

I'm not the one getting people banned because I'm not saying optimistic stuff.

I'm not the one getting people banned because I'm not saying optimistic stuff.
    You are more than welcome to your opinion on this forum. Just to refresh, what was your initial point?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information