+ Reply to Thread
Page 920 of 931 FirstFirst ... 420 820 870 910 918 919 920 921 922 930 ... LastLast
Results 18,381 to 18,400 of 18610

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    Everyone but Biden, Warren and maybe Bernie should drop out of the primary race.

I say maybe for Bernie solely because of that heart attack he had.
    Following his health scare, Bernie Sanders is literally healthier and more energetic than he's ever been. As is fairly common for anyone who had stents put in. And he has adapted his strategy in the wake of the event anyway... in that he's gone from campaigning with a borderline inhuman vigor to something more sane. (Which, of course, several news outlets took his statement that he was going to cut down the number of events as an indication that he was winding down his campaign, when in fact he was just going from campaigning far more than anyone else to... about as much as everyone else.)

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

The polls said Hillary wold sweep Trump too and that didn't happen.

The problem has been and remains that there is a very loyal chunk of the Right that LOVES him and thinks he can do no wrong, an even bigger chunk of the Right who knows he's crap but supports him because he's not a Democrat through sheer party loyalty and that coalition is strong.

Meanwhile the Left can't stop infighting. They are excellent and sticking to coalitions and we aren't. The Left is too fractured and unwilling to compromise.

When one of the frontrunners wins, the supporters of the losers will start shouting about the problematic issues of the one who did win. If that winner isn't Bernie there will be calls about "Corrupt DNC cheated Bernie!" which will further divide. The media loves a horse race since it gets them good ratings, so they'll jump onto this and amplify those voices and pretty soon the overarching narrate will once again be:

"Both sides just as bad! Nobody to vote for! Giant Meteor 2020!!"

This'll scare off anyone who might have voted for the democrat into either not voting or writing in someone else.

But the Republicans who again have PLENTY of people who are willing to vote for a shitty candidate as long as they have an (R) next to their name will vote Trump to own the Libs.

I'm extremely depressed about this and would love to be proven wrong, but that's just how it is.
    Speaking for myself, I see more reasons to be hopeful than not. Besides what's been noted already, Trump is a historically unpopular President with weak approval outside his own base, as indicated by his approval ratings never really changing much from the low to mid 40% range. This is in spite of a currently good economy, something that typically works in the incumbent's favor. That base, by itself, is not enough for Trump to win.

Also none of Trump's prospective opponents besides maybe Biden has the kind of negative baggage going in that Hillary Clinton had, which inherently gives whoever wins the primary a better shot than the also historically unpopular candidate. The polls weren't wrong before about the possibility of a Trump win. The good ones, like 538, considered it a legit possibility. Maybe not a super likely one, but one that could happen.

As things stand, barring a Comey-esque But Her Emails shake up, Trump's chances are at least what they were before, and this time around we have Trump's record as President to use against him.

There's still room to see things go bad. If/when the impeachment doesn't remove him, there may be people dumb enough to believe this means he was innocent. But until I see Trump has been elected to a second term as President of the United States, I'm going to remain hopeful.

If that does happen, then, frankly, the United States of America, as a nation, deserves whatever it gets as a result.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

I blame South Park.

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Not quite true. Trump still had a 30% chance of victory in that election, if I'm remembering correctly. So while the odds favored Clinton, Trump still had a legitimate chance that ended up being the case. Chances that were helped along by things like Comey's last minute announcements about But Her Emails.
    Comey getting fired by the guy he helped elect was absolutely hilarious after he sandbagged Hillary like that. But I fear trumpy's base and those leaning in his favor will be even more emboldened to support him this election after the perceived assault on their god-emperor. I just have a bad feeling about next November is all.
    Gonna give ya the D.!

We are still way too far out to say anything is sure about next year’s election. But what is crystal clear is that foreign actors are extremely interested in hacking it, and that it is actually quite easy for them to do given that so much of the election is handled by local groups with little to no IT expertise.

Even swinging the vote count by a few percentage points in key states and districts will probably be more than enough to drastically change the outcome, so it’s important that we all do what we can now to insist that our states do everything they can to secure their electronic databases and keep a paper record of everything.

The polls did not suggest Hillary would sweep. She had a 3-4 point lead and won by 2 points.

The polls said Hillary wold sweep Trump too and that didn't happen.

The problem has been and remains that there is a very loyal chunk of the Right that LOVES him and thinks he can do no wrong, an even bigger chunk of the Right who knows he's crap but supports him because he's not a Democrat through sheer party loyalty and that coalition is strong.

Meanwhile the Left can't stop infighting. They are excellent and sticking to coalitions and we aren't. The Left is too fractured and unwilling to compromise.

When one of the frontrunners wins, the supporters of the losers will start shouting about the problematic issues of the one who did win. If that winner isn't Bernie there will be calls about "Corrupt DNC cheated Bernie!" which will further divide. The media loves a horse race since it gets them good ratings, so they'll jump onto this and amplify those voices and pretty soon the overarching narrate will once again be:

"Both sides just as bad! Nobody to vote for! Giant Meteor 2020!!"

This'll scare off anyone who might have voted for the democrat into either not voting or writing in someone else.

But the Republicans who again have PLENTY of people who are willing to vote for a shitty candidate as long as they have an (R) next to their name will vote Trump to own the Libs.

I'm extremely depressed about this and would love to be proven wrong, but that's just how it is.
    I agree with you. The only reasons for hope that I would ever be able to muster for Trump losing in 2020 are right in line with the same reasons I thought he couldn't be elected in 2016. I thought treating women like trash, bragging about sexual assault, being so openly racist, attacking a veteran (McCain) would surely send enough people who have even the most basic sense of decency out to vote for Hillary instead.

Turns out that didn't happen. Why would it be any different this time? Yes, Trump has, as we all knew would happen, proven himself to be nothing more than a crook who plays dirty and it's all over the news, but it doesn't seem to matter. Too many Republicans are either going along with the nonsense that the Republican leaders spout (that there's nothing wrong with anything that Trump did, and/or that everything that he is being blamed for his concocted by Trump's enemies and that the Democrats are not giving Trump a fair shake).

And as you said, the left is divided, exactly like in the 2016 election. It doesn't seem to matter what Trump has done. Locking children in cages, specifically aiming to take the rights away from LGBT (especially transgender) people (and getting away with it in some cases, with much worse likely to come thanks to the flipping Supreme Court nominations), whatever thing any Democrat candidate that isn't perfect has done is just somehow so much worse than the very real and present danger that is Trump, and I just don't even know what to do anymore. I'm exhausted at this point. I don't have much faith left in the country. The right has shown their true colors and turned straight-up evil and the Left is so stuck on purity that it will let the country burn to the ground.

That NYT/Sienna poll that came out and which adjusts for education is a big warning sign for people who think the Rust Belt has flipped back to Democrats after 2018.

https://t.co/lOTo3Vx8cc?amp=1

So Richard Spencer got caught saying offensive things in spite of a reputation for saying offensive things.

And Milo Yiannopoliszone leaked this?

Crooks telling on crooks only no one is getting any benefit from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    The polls did not suggest Hillary would sweep. She had a 3-4 point lead and won by 2 points.
    This. 2016 polls weren't wrong, punditry based on those polls was. The nationwide results were well within the margin of error but regional variation and the bullshit electoral college threw off the results.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Weird off year Election Day is upon us, I still did not get a sticker and I feel that I have good cause to make an angry call to Cuomo about it.

Plenty of local stuff up for grabs (I hate electing judges but the alternative is probably worse), but the headlines will be focusing on the three governor races - Kentucky, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Kentucky has an incumbent Republican running against a Dem who promises to restore voting rights to convicted felons, which is important if we want Mitch thrown out on his ass. The Mississippi legislature may seat a Republican governor regardless of who wins thanks to a Jim Crow provision. Louisiana has a Dem governor believe it or not but because this is Louisiana and his last name isn't "Long" or "Edwards", he's gonna have to fight for the seat.

Anyone vote today? I went, but I got nothing good to vote on. No senate seats, mayors or anything, just local officials and things like education boards and the like. Disappointing but I plan to go to all these from now on out of principal.

Looks like Kentucky elected a Democratic governor. And the first African-American attorney general to ever hold that position (however, he is a Republican).

I voted. There were some good positions on the ballot, I guess, though some of them were uncontested.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by onemoment View Post
    Anyone vote today? I went, but I got nothing good to vote on. No senate seats, mayors or anything, just local officials and things like education boards and the like. Disappointing but I plan to go to all these from now on out of principal.
    I haven't. I moved middle of October and am still getting everything up to date. For that same reason I have no idea what any of the local elections even are so I'd be voting more blindly than usual.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Meanwhile:

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/11/04/day-1019/

Day 1019: Threatened

1/ Interview notes from Robert Mueller's special counsel investigation were released after CNN and BuzzFeed News sued the government to see all the work that Mueller's team kept secret. In response to a court order, the Justice Department released the first installment of documents, known as 302s, which memorialize interviews conducted by the office with witnesses and include hundreds of pages of FBI interview summaries. Per the judge's order, the Justice Department will continue to release new tranches of Mueller's investigative notes every month for at least the next eight years. (CNN / BuzzFeed News)
    • ⚡️ Takeaways from the memos:
    • Paul Manafort pushed the unproven theory that Ukrainians might have been responsible for hacking the Democratic National Committee at least five months before the 2016 election. Deputy campaign manager Rick Gates told Robert Mueller's office in an April 2018 interview that Manafort had shared his theory that Ukraine, not Russia, was responsible for hacking the DNC with him and other campaign aides shortly after the stolen emails were published in June 2016. Gates said Manafort's theory echoed one that had been pushed by Konstantin Kilimnik, a Ukrainian businessman that Mueller's office said had ties to Russian intelligence. Three years later, Trump brought up the same conspiracy theory during his July 2019 call with the Ukrainian president when he asked for a "favor," which is now at the heart of Democrats' impeachment inquiry. (BuzzFeed News / New York Times / Washington Post)
    • Michael Cohen "had to keep Trump out of the messaging related to Russia" in preparation for his testimony to Congress under oath and that the false testimony was "not his idea." Cohen later pleaded guilty in 2018 to lying to Congress about when discussions related to the Trump Tower Moscow deal had ended.
    • Rick Gates said the campaign was "very happy" when a foreign government helped release the hacked DNC emails. After the hacked DNC emails, Trump told Gates that "more leaks were coming." (BuzzFeed News)
    • READ: Interview notes from Robert Mueller's special counsel investigation. (CNN / DocumentCloud)
    2/ The former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine told House impeachment investigators that she felt "threatened" by Trump and his suggestion to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky during the July 25 phone call that she would be "going to go through some things." Marie Yovanovitch, who was abruptly recalled by Trump in May, told investigators that Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman were working with Rudy Giuliani to smear her and had orchestrated her removal as ambassador to Kiev. The revelation comes after House Democrats released the first two interview transcripts with Yovanovitch and Michael McKinley, a former senior State Department adviser. McKinley described to investigators how he pressed top State Department officials to publicly support Yovanovitch, but that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo denied the request because he did not want to "draw undue attention" to Yovanovitch. (New York Times / BuzzFeed News / Politico / CNN / ABC News)
    • Excerpts and analysis from the first two impeachment inquiry transcripts. (New York Times)
    3/ Four White House officials scheduled to give depositions today as part of the House's impeachment inquiry refused to show up and testify. National Security Council attorneys John Eisenberg and Michael Ellis, along with Robert Blair, assistant to the president, and Brian McCormick, an associate director at the Office of Management and Budget, did not comply with congressional subpoenas for their testimony. Eisenberg claimed executive privilege, while Blair, Ellis, and McCormick didn't appear because they weren't able to have a Trump administration attorney present. Two other officials from the OMB, Michael Duffey and Russell Vought, also plan to skip their depositions later this week. Energy Secretary Rick Perry is scheduled to appear for a closed-door deposition on Wednesday, but will not be participating either. (CNN / Politico / ABC News / Reuters)
    • One of Mick Mulvaney's top allies is attempting to rally other administration officials to collectively defy Congressional subpoenas from Democrats involved in the House impeachment inquiry. Russel Vought, who leads the Office of Management and Budget, and two of his subordinates are attempting to demonstrate their loyalty to Trump while also creating a firewall around Trump's alleged use of foreign aid to obtain political favors from a U.S. ally. The OMB is at the center of the impeachment inquiry because Democrats want information about why the office effectively froze U.S. military aid to Ukraine even though Congress had already appropriated for that country. (Washington Post)
    • The whistleblower's attorney offered to answer written questions under oath and with penalty of perjury. Mark Zaid said his client was willing to respond in writing "in a bipartisan manner" so long as questions "cannot seek identifying info, regarding which we will not provide, or otherwise be inappropriate." Trump, however, rejected the offer, tweeting that "Written answers not acceptable!" and that the whistleblower "must be brought forward to testify." (Washington Post / New York Times / Politico)
    4/ Trump's accounting firm must turn over eight years of his personal and corporate tax returns to Manhattan prosecutors. A three-judge panel of the Second Circuit Court Appeals unanimously ruled that Trump is not immune from investigative steps taken by state prosecutors. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance subpoenaed the documents from Mazars USA as part of an investigation into the pre-election payoffs to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal. Trump then sued the DA's office to block the subpoena, arguing that as president he is immune not only from prosecution but from investigations. A district judge dismissed the argument in October, which Trump then appealed. Today, the appeals court said because Trump's accounting firm – not Trump himself – was subpoenaed for the documents, it didn't matter whether presidents have immunity. Trump's lawyer, Jay Sekulow, said Trump would ask the Supreme Court to overturn the ruling. (New York Times / Washington Post / Politico / CNN / NBC News / Associated Press / BuzzFeed News / CNBC)
    5/ The Trump administration formally notified the United Nations that the U.S. is withdrawing from the Paris climate agreement. The withdrawal will not be finalized until a day after the presidential election in November 2020. The U.S. is now the only country to withdraw from the pact between nearly 200 countries. The U.S. is the world's second-largest emitter of greenhouse gases. (NPR / The Guardian / Politico / New York Times / Washington Post)
    poll/ 64% of Americans say their financial situation has not gotten better under Trump, while 35% say they're better off. (Financial Times)
    poll/ 53% of Americans disapprove of the job Trump is doing as president, while 45% approve, and 2% are not sure. (NBC News)
    poll/ 49% of voters want Trump impeached and removed from office, 4% say he should be impeached but not removed, and 41% oppose impeaching Trump. (Fox News)
    • Trump called the Fox News poll "fake" and "lousy," claiming that he has "the real polls," and that the "people don't want anything to do with impeachment. It's a phony scam. It's a hoax." (Rolling Stone)

Notables.

1. Trump attacked California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Twitter and blamed him for the wildfires in the state. Trump tweeted that Newsom has "done a terrible job of forest management." Of the 33 million acres of forest in California, 57% is controlled by the federal government. (Los Angeles Times)
    2. The Justice Department is trying to "intimidate and expose" the anonymous author of "A Warning" – the same senior Trump administration official behind a 2018 op-ed who claimed cabinet members discussed removing Trump from office early in his presidency "given the instability many witnessed." The DOJ claimed that the author may be violating "one or more nondisclosure agreements" by writing the book, which is set to come out on November 19. (CNN / New York Times)
    3. E. Jean Carroll filed a defamation lawsuit against Trump, saying he lied when he denied her claims that he had raped her in the dressing room of an upscale department store in the 1990s. After the writer and advice columnist came forward with the allegation in June, Trump denied raping Carroll, said he had "never met that person in my life," and accused her of "totally lying" because she was "not my type." (New York Times / Politico / CNN / BuzzFeed News)
    4. Children were encouraged to help "Build the Wall" at a White House Halloween party. Officials had been instructed to put together kid-friendly displays for trick-or-treaters that were supposed to be interactive and inspiring. Instead, the mural featured red paper bricks, each bearing the name of a child, with large letters on the display spelling out "Build the Wall" and signs alongside the wall that read "America First." (Yahoo News)
    5. Smugglers have repeatedly cut through new sections of Trump's border wall, opening gaps large enough for people to pass through. Trump has repeatedly called his $10 billion wall "virtually impenetrable" and likened the structure to a "Rolls-Royce" that border crossers cannot get over, under or through. (Washington Post)
    6. Trump would not commit to keeping the federal government open past a November 21 funding deadline, raising the possibility of a government shutdown as House Democrats expand their impeachment inquiry. Congress passed a short-term spending bill in September and would need to pass 12 appropriations bills to keep all federal agencies funded. (Washington Post)
    https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday...1/05/day-1020/

Day 1020: Orchestrated efforts

1/ A key witness in the impeachment inquiry acknowledged that there was a quid pro quo linking U.S. aid to Ukraine with an investigation into Trump's political rival. In revised testimony, Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, said he told Andriy Yermak, a Ukrainian national security adviser, that Ukraine "would likely not" receive military aid until it publicly committed to investigating the 2016 election and Joe Biden. Sondland told Congress that his memory was "refreshed" after reviewing the opening statements by Bill Taylor, the acting ambassador to Ukraine, and Tim Morrison, a former adviser to Trump on Russian and European affairs. Sondland's addendum also recounted a Sept. 1 meeting in Warsaw where Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky raised his concerns to Mike Pence about the suspension of military aid. Sondland said he believed that withholding the $391 million in security assistance was "ill-advised," but claimed he didn't know "when, why or by whom the aid was suspended." The revelation comes after House committees leading the impeachment inquiry released transcripts of witness testimony by Sondland and Kurt Volker, the former special envoy to Ukraine. (Politico / NBC News / New York Times / CNN / Washington Post)
    • Analysis: Five takeaways from the Gordon Sondland and Kurt Volker testimonies. (Washington Post)
    • Excerpts: Sondland's and Volker's testimonies. (New York Times)
    • READ: U.S. Ambassador to the European Union House testimony on Ukraine investigation. (CNN)
    • READ: Former U.S. special envoy to Ukraine Kurt Volker's House testimony on Ukraine investigations. (CNN)
    2/ House Democrats requested that Trump's acting White House chief of staff appear for a deposition in the impeachment probe. Mick Mulvaney is unlikely to comply with the request, however, as the White House has directed senior officials to not participate in the impeachment investigation. Lawmakers leading the inquiry believe Mulvaney "may have been directly involved in an effort orchestrated" by Trump and Rudy Giuliani to withhold a "White House meeting and nearly $400 million in security assistance" in order to pressure Ukraine to pursue investigations that would benefit "Trump's personal political interests, and jeopardized our national security." (CNBC / Politico / ABC News / New York Times)
    • A senior adviser to Mike Pence will likely comply with a request to testify. Jennifer Williams was listening to the phone call on July 25 in which Trump asked for a "favor" of his newly-elected Ukrainian counterpart, President Volodymyr Zelensky. Williams would be the first person on Pence's national security team to appear. (CNN)
    3/ An associate of Rudy Giuliani will cooperate with a subpoena issued by House investigators as part of the impeachment inquiry into Trump. Lev Parnas, who helped Giuliani dig up dirt on Joe Biden and his son Hunter at Trump's request, initially ignored the House Intelligence Committee's request for documents last month, but now intends to comply with the subpoena. The change in strategy reportedly occurred when Trump denied knowing Parnas after he was arrested. Parnas was also charged last month with campaign finance violations. (Reuters / Politico / Washington Post / New York Times)
    4/ Phone records show that Trump made at least six phone calls to a woman who says he sexually assaulted her at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Summer Zervos, a former candidate on "The Apprentice," claims that Trump forced himself on her with unwanted kissing and groping while she visited him for lunch in his hotel room on Dec. 21, 2007. Trump's Verizon cellphone bills over a three-month period in 2007 and 2008 shows that Trump called Zervos on the day that his private calendar said he was staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel. Trump called Zervos and other women who have accused him of sexual misconduct of being "liars," prompting Zervos to sue him for defamation. That hotel stay is a key part of the defamation lawsuit against Trump in New York State Supreme Court. (Washington Post)
    • 📌 Day 468: A former contestant on "The Apprentice" is suing Trump for defamation after he called her a liar for accusing him of sexual assault. Summer Zervos was among the more than 10 women who came forward during the 2016 presidential campaign and accused Trump of sexual assault and misconduct. He denied all of their claims. (New York Times)
    • 📌 Day 784: A New York appellate court ruled that a former contestant on The Apprentice can proceed with her defamation lawsuit against Trump. Summer Zervos is one of about a dozen women who accused Trump of sexual misconduct before the 2016 election. Trump called Zervos and the other women "liars," prompting Zervos to file a lawsuit in 2017. The New York State Appellate Division’s First Department turned down Trump's argument that the case should be delayed until he is out of office because, as a sitting president, he was immune from a lawsuit brought in state court. The decision means Trump may have to sit for a sworn deposition. (ABC News / Washington Post / Politico)
    5/ Roger Stone's trial began today. Stone faces charges related to his alleged efforts to exploit the hacked Hillary Clinton emails for his own political gain. Stone is accused of lying to lawmakers about WikiLeaks, tampering with witnesses, and obstructing a House Intelligence Committee probe into whether the Trump campaign coordinated with Russia to tip the 2016 election. The indictment says a senior Trump campaign official "was directed" to contact Stone after WikiLeaks released hacked emails from the Democratic National Committee in July 2016 to find out about additional releases and "what other damaging information" WikiLeaks had "regarding the Clinton campaign." The indictment does not name the official or say who directed the outreach to Stone. Jury selection began with an observer being taken out of the courtroom on a stretcher after appearing to have a seizure, followed by Stone leaving due to what he said was food poisoning. (Associated Press / NBC News)
    poll/ 62% of Trump supporters say there is nothing Trump could do that would cause him to lose their support. Among those who disapprove of the job Trump is doing, 70% say there's nothing the president could do to gain their support. (Monmouth University)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

No elections in my county this year.

The Kentucky governorship is a case of a strong moderate Democrat against a widely disliked Republican, but it's still a huge blow and major rebuke. Mississippi will be an even more uphill fight.
    Last edited by Jabberwok; November 5th, 2019 at 07:06 PM.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Looks like Kentucky elected a Democratic governor.
    Hopefully this guy actually Vaccinates his kids......along with avoiding the other displays of stupidity Bevin was prone to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Does this mean the turtle's seat might be in play?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

haaaa, fuck youuuuuuuuuuuu Bevin

very nice as a Kentucky resident, but he will assuredly be pushing a recount, and don't put any kinds of ratfuckery past the GOP around here
    Hang in there, Kierkegaard.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    haaaa, fuck youuuuuuuuuuuu Bevin

very nice as a Kentucky resident, but he will assuredly be pushing a recount, and don't put any kinds of ratfuckery past the GOP around here
    You're a Kentucky resident? What is McConnell's approval rating among regular folks there?
    Gonna give ya the D.!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information