+ Reply to Thread
Page 916 of 934 FirstFirst ... 416 816 866 906 914 915 916 917 918 926 ... LastLast
Results 18,301 to 18,320 of 18669

Thread: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Default Re: American Politics thread: No Nazis Allowed

Some of the GOP Representatives demanded that they be arrested so that the media would have footage of them being marched out in handcuffs. Considering that they collected a bunch of uncredentialed reporters and even HBO filmmakers and gave them expired press passes that they used to slip in, it was pretty clear Republicans were banking on using that footage for propaganda purposes.
    Complicating things since 2009.

As I keep saying whether Trump gets voted out or serves and finishes up a 2nd term all this flexing these people are doing is going to look funny in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    As I keep saying whether Trump gets voted out or serves and finishes up a 2nd term all this flexing these people are doing is going to look really criminal in retrospect.
    Fixed that for you.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It’s not going to look like anything in retrospect because Republicans will completely “forget” about it and move on to shaming Democrats for anything and everything like nothing ever happened. They control the narrative, and in that narrative Republicans can do no wrong.

There is nothing that Republicans can do in this day and age that will ever get people to hold them accountable for being scummy. After the Republican refusal to even hear Obama’s rightful Supreme Court nominee, and then turning around and calling Democrats “obstructionists” for wanting to stop Kavanaugh, I no longer believe that anything that Republicans have done in the past won’t just be hand-waved or conveniently “forgotten”.

I hope I’m proven wrong. But right now all I see are Republicans playing dirty, getting power from that, and nothing stopping them.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Some of the GOP Representatives demanded that they be arrested so that the media would have footage of them being marched out in handcuffs. Considering that they collected a bunch of uncredentialed reporters and even HBO filmmakers and gave them expired press passes that they used to slip in, it was pretty clear Republicans were banking on using that footage for propaganda purposes.
    All the better Democrats "ran away" and didn't play their game then

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    We'll judge them as such but of course they won't be tried and have their sorry asses thrown in prison.

Also fun fact about the rules of impeachment inquiries
    https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/statu...39967300812800
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki
    The point of a VP is what it says on the tin. To support the President and to be the back-up President in case of death or illness.

The reason candidates run with VPs in tow is because voting for a VP separately means the President might fear double-crossing or worse machinations coming from below, which I'm sure they deal with enough already. A President and Vice President have to work as a team, as much as the Pres. and his FLOTUS, and if they are two politicians of conflicting parties and standards/morals, then that's not going to happen.
    But the fact remains that the VP is not voted in and has the opportunity to run the country should the opportunity arise. If the alternative can't be done because of fears of double-crossing, then it proves that the system of government is all about self-power interests and not about the representation of the people.

I bring this issue up because not just about the upcoming election, but about the fact that VPs are known to abuse their power should the president shown signs of incompetence on their own level. Dick Cheney is a good example of this due to his influence over George W. Bush, especially over the Iraq War. More to read here: The Dick Cheney influence

We'll judge them as such but of course they won't be tried and have their sorry asses thrown in prison.
    A loooooooot of people went to prison for Nixon when the dust on Watergate settled.

More will go this time when its all said and done.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/2019/10/24/day-1008/

Day 1008: Human scum

1/ House Democrats could take the impeachment inquiry public as soon as mid-November. Moving the largely closed-door investigation toward the public spotlight comes as the Trump administration has tried to block witnesses and withhold documents while his allies have cast the inquiry as a smear campaign against Trump. Yesterday, House Republicans delayed proceedings for more than five hours when about two dozen of them entered and refused to leave a secure room where Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Laura Cooper was set to testify about what happened to the military aid Trump ordered withheld from Ukraine. (Washington Post / Bloomberg)
    2/ The White House's trade representative withdrew Ukraine's trade privileges as Trump was withholding $391 million in military aid and security assistance. In late August, Robert Lighthizer pulled Ukraine's trade privileges from a global trade program after John Bolton, then-national security adviser, warned him that Trump would probably oppose anything that benefited Kiev. (Washington Post)
    • The White House trade adviser declined to say whether investigating the Bidens came up during trade talks with China. Peter Navarro said answering the question would "violate a principle here" and "I'm not going to talk about that stuff." (CNN)
    3/ Trump's top envoy to Ukraine testified that the U.S. ambassador to the E.U. not only knew of a quid pro quo, but had also communicated the threat to Ukraine. William Taylor said he understood that on Sept. 1st, Gordon Sondland warned Andrey Yermak, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's aide, that security assistance "would not come" unless Zelensky committed to pursuing the investigation into Burisma, the energy company where Joe Biden's son held a board seat. On Sept. 9th, Sondland texted Taylor to say there was "no quid pro quos" of any kind authorized by Trump. Sondland's attorney added that his client "does not recall" such a conversation. By Taylor's account, however, Sondland already knew the terms of the quid pro quo and had relayed them to Zelensky's aide a week earlier. (Washington Post / Politico)
    4/ Zelensky was concerned about pressure from the Trump administration to investigate Biden before before his July 25th call with Trump. Zelensky met with a small group of advisers on May 7th for a meeting that was supposed to be about Ukraine's energy needs. Instead, the group spent three hours talking about how they were going to handle the calls for investigations coming from Trump and Giuliani, as well as how to avoid getting wrapped up in the U.S. election process. The meeting occurred before Zelensky was inaugurated, roughly two weeks after Trump called to congratulate him the night he won the April 21st election in Ukraine. (Associated Press / Axios)
    5/ An inspector general report revealed that a Veterans Affairs office designed to protect whistleblowers instead stifled claims and retaliated against employees. The VA's Office of Accountability and Whistleblower Protection – created by Trump in 2017 – had "significant deficiencies," according to the report, including poor leadership, skimpy training of its investigators, a misunderstanding of its mission and a failure to discipline misconduct. (Wall Street Journal / Washington Post)
    6/ The White House said Trump would veto a bill requiring federal election campaigns to report "illicit offers" of campaign assistance from foreign governments and their agents. Earlier in the day, the House approved legislation to better protect the country's elections from foreign interference. Meanwhile, Senate Republicans blocked three other election security bills. (Law and Crime / CBS News / The Hill)
    • The Department of Homeland Security warned that "Russian influence actors almost certainly will continue to target" the U.S. in 2020 election. The DHS Cyber Mission Center called the election a "key opportunity" to "advance Russian interests." (Yahoo News)
    • Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said his intelligence services told William Barr that they played no role in the events leading to the Russia investigation, contradicting an unsubstantiated theory pushed by Trump and his allies that the Mueller probe was launched with the help of a Western intelligence asset working with the Obama administration to spy on the Trump campaign. "Our intelligence is completely unrelated to the so-called Russiagate and that has been made clear," Conte told reporters. Prior to the briefing, Conte spent hours explaining Italy's discussions with Barr to Italy's parliamentary intelligence committee. Barr met twice with Italy’s intelligence agencies after asking them to clarify their role in a 2016 meeting between George Papadopoulos and a Maltese professor named Joseph Mifsud, who told Papadopoulos that Russia had obtained damaging information about Hillary Clinton in the form of "thousands of emails." (New York Times)

Notables.

1. Trump plans to order all federal agencies not to renew their subscriptions to the New York Times and the Washington Post. White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham claimed that "not renewing subscriptions across all federal agencies will be a significant cost saving – hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars will be saved." (Wall Street Journal / Axios)
    2. 📌 Day 1006: The White House confirmed that it will cancel its subscriptions to the New York Times and the Washington Post. Trump appeared on Fox News' "Hannity," calling the Times "a fake newspaper" and saying that "we don't even want it in the White House anymore." Trump added: "We're going to probably terminate that and the Washington Post. They're fake." (Politico)
    3. Trump bragged that he's building a wall along Colorado's border with Mexico. Colorado does not share a border with Mexico. Trump told a crowd in Pittsburgh that the wall will be "a big one that really works — you can't get over, you can't get under." Later, Trump tried to claim that he was only joking about building a wall in Colorado. (CNN)
    4. A senior student-loan official resigned and called for canceling most of the nation's outstanding student debt. Arthur Wayne Johnson, appointed by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, called the student loan system "fundamentally broken." (Wall Street Journal / Washington Post)
    5. The National Archives is investigating Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross' use of private email for official business. Ross sent or received official correspondence about discussions with the European Commission for Trade, a U.S. ambassador's meeting with German car manufacturers, a dinner with the ambassador of Japan, an event related to billionaire businessman Bill Koch, and meeting requests from a far-right Internet troll. The nonprofit watchdog Democracy Forward obtained the emails through a Freedom of Information Act request and is asking the government for a direct search of Ross’s personal email. (Politico / Washington Post)
    6. Trump wants to nominate Ken Cuccinelli to be his next Homeland Security secretary, but doesn't think Republican senators will support the nomination. Cuccinelli, the former attorney general of Virginia and an immigration hardliner, has made enemies within the GOP after leading a group that raised money to primary incumbent Republican senators, including Mitch McConnell. Cuccinelli has also supported some of Trump's harshest immigration policies, including the new "public charge" rules, which would make it harder for immigrants to obtain legal permanent residency by denying green cards to people who use or are likely to use government benefits. (NPR)
    7. The White House press secretary agreed with Trump that those "against" him are "human scum." Stephanie Grisham appeared on Fox & Friends to defend Trump, who had tweeted earlier in the day that "The Never Trumper Republicans […] are human scum" and "worse and more dangerous for our Country than the Do Nothing Democrats." (Daily Beast)
    8. Rudy Giuliani is looking for a defense attorney. Last week, Giuliani parted way with his previous lawyer, John Sale, saying, it would be "silly to have a lawyer when I don't need one." (CNN)

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    1. White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham claimed that "not renewing subscriptions across all federal agencies will be a significant cost saving – hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars will be saved." (Wall Street Journal / Axios)

Trump cultists will praise this as a fiscal call purely, and claim that it's about time to cut such costs.....while also completely ignoring the sheer cost of taxpayers and profit to Trump's business his close to 200 days of golf have resulted in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

A loooooooot of people went to prison for Nixon when the dust on Watergate settled.
    Everyone except Nixon.

Everyone except Nixon.
    Nixon also cut a deal and quit before it got to actual impeachment. And didn't sell out the country.

True still an asshole who should've cooled his heels in a prison. Along with Reagan & The Bush Jr., Cheney Duo.

Nixon also cut a deal and quit before it got to actual impeachment. And didn't sell out the country.
    So true. Thanks to Watergate Nixon will aways be defiled, but compared to the Ugly Orange his crimes were nothing.

Yikes.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...asy-reelection

This model hasn't been wrong since 1980, and it's predicting trumps victory. Democrats really need to stop being awful and realise that corporatist candidates like biden can't win, and throw support behind a progressive.

The model was wrong three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    Yikes.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...asy-reelection

This model hasn't been wrong since 1980, and it's predicting trumps victory. Democrats really need to stop being awful and realise that corporatist candidates like biden can't win, and throw support behind a progressive.
    I think I remember seeing this mentioned on the other board I follow politics on. The general assessment there, if I understood correctly, was that Moody based its results primarily on the economy at the expense of other relevant factors such as Trump's... Trumpiness.

I'll see if I can find the posts which explain better than I could

Edit: here we go-

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.ph...comment-292348
    Last edited by sgamer82; October 25th, 2019 at 09:05 AM.

Waldorf:

Corporate candidates can't win........unless they're Republicans.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

The economy, on the surface level, is very good and President Biff Tannen has an underwater approval rating and recent developments are dragging him even further. That's not in any way a good recipe for re-election.

Also, I wonder at what point the Dipshit Left decided that "corporatist" meant "pro-corporation", because that's not what it meant for most of the history of the word.

Actually, the sad part is, according to FiveThirtyEight, Trump's approval ratings aren't that much worse than Obama's were around this time.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...roval-ratings/

But we'll see how things play out over the next year.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information