Thread: The Official 2016 APCT Rules Thread

Default The Official 2016 APCT Rules Thread

01. The Once and Future Rule: Rules are subject to change as needed.
    02. Positivity is key; don't bash characters. If you have issues with them, say then in a constructive manner.
    03. In line with that, leave your problems that don't concern the Character Tournament at the (metaphorical) door. These include, but are not limited to, issues with other members, mods, or any events elsewhere or outside of Arlong Park. 4. One vote per person per match. Voting with multiple accounts will get you banned and that character disqualified.
    04. Go back and reread the rules for the AP Awards. They'll help.
    05. This isn't a caucus; once your vote has been cast, that's it. We won't change it for you just because you changed your mind.
    06. All campaigns and images posted must be SFW and adhere to the PG13 nature of Arlong Park.
    07. The following campaigns are banned:
    1. Boob/Playgirl/Manglaze
    2. Things that are Euphemisms for those/
    3. Meme campaigns
    4. Campaigns based exclusively on things that have nothing to do with One Piece. Berniebros, I'm looking at you.
    5. Emo Ace is still banned.
    6. Spamming the same image over and over again without altering it in any fashion. Well, barring a certain grandfathered image.
    7. FIRST or FIRST PAGE posts. Don't do that in general, it's stupid.
    8. This list can be added to as necessary.
    08. Standard forum rules apply here.
    09. This is the Rules Thread. Take anything that doesn't have to do with the Rules somewhere else.
    10. Ties will be broken by a staff member who withholds their vote just for that purpose. It'll most likely be the person who starts the match. Either way, ties are a thing of the past.
    11. As always, vote buying is illegal. This includes offers of money or physical property in exchange for a character winning. This does not include promising to draw images.
    12. If you need help with something, contact the Event Staff first. If you can't find one of us, then try the Forum Staff. Ask Robby; he's never doing anything important.
    13. Most importantly, have fun. That's the whole point of this.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Default Re: The Official 2016 APCT Rules Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    01. The Once and Future Rule: Rules are subject to change as needed.
    02. Positivity is key; don't bash characters. If you have issues with them, say then in a constructive manner.
    03. In line with that, leave your problems that don't concern the Character Tournament at the (metaphorical) door. These include, but are not limited to, issues with other members, mods, or any events elsewhere or outside of Arlong Park. 4. One vote per person per match. Voting with multiple accounts will get you banned and that character disqualified.
    04. Go back and reread the rules for the AP Awards. They'll help.
    05. This isn't a caucus; once your vote has been cast, that's it. We won't change it for you just because you changed your mind.
    06. All campaigns and images posted must be SFW and adhere to the PG13 nature of Arlong Park.
    07. The following campaigns are banned:
    1. Boob/Playgirl/Manglaze
    2. Things that are Euphemisms for those/
    3. Meme campaigns
    4. Campaigns based exclusively on things that have nothing to do with One Piece. Berniebros, I'm looking at you.
    5. Emo Ace is still banned.
    6. Spamming the same image over and over again without altering it in any fashion. Well, barring a certain grandfathered image.
    7. FIRST or FIRST PAGE posts. Don't do that in general, it's stupid.
    8. This list can be added to as necessary.
    08. Standard forum rules apply here.
    09. This is the Rules Thread. Take anything that doesn't have to do with the Rules somewhere else.
    10. Ties will be broken by a staff member who withholds their vote just for that purpose. It'll most likely be the person who starts the match. Either way, ties are a thing of the past.
    11. As always, vote buying is illegal. This includes offers of money or physical property in exchange for a character winning. This does not include promising to draw images.
    12. If you need help with something, contact the Event Staff first. If you can't find one of us, then try the Forum Staff. Ask Robby; he's never doing anything important.
    13. Most importantly, have fun. That's the whole point of this.
    Since im sure im not the only one wondering this, ill ask it here... what constitutes a meme campaign, are all memes banned from being posted during this tournament or is it only certain types like spamming them, uncreativite insults.

Could you happen to clarify a bit more?
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Since im sure im not the only one wondering this, ill ask it here... what constitutes a meme campaign, are all memes banned from being posted during this tournament or is it only certain types like spamming them, uncreativite insults.

Could you happen to clarify a bit more?
    Stuff that is basically just its own thing without any OP twist.

A couple years ago there was a rash of putting the phrase "haters gonna hate" on top of a character, which is dumb and will get no mileage, because it can be applied to any character up to bat equally and is super generic, and was actually appearing on BOTH characters in the same match. (And in that particular case is just attacking the other posters.)

It'll be up to the staff's discretion, it just sort of depends on what kind of trends develop. It never came up, but if any character used "It's over 9000!" that would probably get shut down. It's simultaneously too broad and too narrow to really pin down and really give specific examples, but we reserve the right to put a stop to something.

Mostly just try to be creative and come up with something that actually applies to a character and isn't just something you heard repeated online. And yes, stay away from blatant insults.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

the answer is vintage meme zachri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Stuff that is basically just its own thing without any OP twist.
    Sooo... we can do One Piece memes within reason?
    Also I'm amused at rule 7.1. Mainly because that last part is my fault.
    I have no regrets other than the fact it got banned.
    ...but does that mean no partial fanservice? Not even comical fanservice?
    Just tryna clarify, because I'm considering actually being semi-active this year for this

#SWAGLETON

May I ask what qualifies as a meme?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom64 View Post
    May I ask what qualifies as a meme?
    I think what is meant is the really old and overdone ones, like rick rolling and basically anything you can make on Meme Generator. The idea is to be original.
    Hidden:

the answer is vintage meme zachri's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    I think what is meant is the really old and overdone ones, like rick rolling and basically anything you can make on Meme Generator. The idea is to be original.
    ...even if a characters face was pasted over?

#SWAGLETON

Quote Originally Posted by zachri View Post
    ...even if a characters face was pasted over?
    I think that this would come very close to the threshold of originality but miss it by a hair?
    Hidden:

Naturally there are going to be cases where it's questionable, since in the past we have had cases where memetic content has led to wildly successful and enjoyable campaigns. For example, MasterkingJC combining Enel/Bon Kurei (if memory serves me well) with Oppa Gangnam Style back in 2012 was a rather solid effort and showed originality and effort even if based on a popular meme video of that year.

I believe the main point of the rule is to discourage what Robby was saying, namely the simplistic repetition of tired jokes. That aside, it's a matter of playing it by ear and ideally aiming to be as original as possible.

Whoa those first round matches ended quick what was the decider for that? Or is it just an arbitrary time, not that this is such a serious thing that every round must last the same timelength but in curious
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Whoa those first round matches ended quick what was the decider for that? Or is it just an arbitrary time, not that this is such a serious thing that every round must last the same timelength but in curious
    The process had to be sped up for technical purposes.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Thread Information