+ Reply to Thread
Page 220 of 224 FirstFirst ... 120 170 210 218 219 220 221 222 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,400 of 4464

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    It takes a while for Box Office Mojo to update the dailies for limited theatrical films, likely due to the distributor not reporting numbers just yet. It happened this past weekend so we didn't get official numbers til Monday so it'll update.
    Oh that would make sense. Fingers crossed for $1million domestic gross

At the theater now, seeing Stampede in about 40 mins!!!

Pretty excited! Also really keen to hear the new voices.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Has Funimation announced when are the new eps coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    Has Funimation announced when are the new eps coming?
    lolno. Get comfortable. No one has any idea what "very soon" meant.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Saw the movie a second time. Even more fun this time since I wasn't paying quite so much attention. Doubling down on pretty much everything I said the first time; not sure I have anything to add. The score was pretty bad. A mash up of OP favorites that were shoved wherever they could be fit. There was also a lot of Smoker in this movie. His voice is good, but I feel like the actor delivers most of his lines with the same slightly monotone delivery
    Last edited by Zephray; October 30th, 2019 at 08:59 PM.

I think if nothing else this movie had some of the best action scenes we've had for awhile in the films, but oof was the story lacking. Coming off of Film Gold where the plot was so legitimately interesting to basically a big fight scene movie was an adjustment, but it made for a fun night out if nothing else. Some random thoughts/questions.

- Do we know why they recast Hina?
    - Sabo sounded soooo much better. Kinda surprised they got Johnny since he normally doesn't work with Funi, but nice that they went from one big named actor to the next.
    - Chris did true justice to Blackbeard. It was clear he was doing his best to imitate Cole's voice, and I applaud him for that.
    - Were there any other characters aside from these 3 and Sengoku that were recasted?
    - Was Morgans the only canon character whom we heard dubbed for the first time? If there are others I can't think of them.

Also reading the thread I'm glad I'm not crazy in that this movie is the first time the island has been referred to as "Laugh Tale" because I was pretty sure both Viz and Funi have been using Raftel up until now, so this is gonna create some continuity issues if they switch now.

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

^Well, on the bright side, at least this movie is firmly non-canon, so they can kinda-sorta get away with calling it Laugh Tale in the movie and still using "Raftel" in the anime. Definitely was a little jarring, tho, yeah.

Agreed with what others have said about the voices. I def like JYB better as Sabo. With Vic, I literally just heard Ed Elric, but at least this time, while I could hear that they were the same person, I didn't think Sabo sounded exactly like Fuyuhiko/Kokichi. (I'm sure I've seen JYB in other stuff too, but DR was the one that came to mind for the moment.) Just fits better with him, too, I'd say.

I always liked Mercer as Law pretty well, but we really hadn't gotten that much dialogue from him in the dub yet (just Sabaody and Marineford/Post-War), so it was nice to hear more of him.

I thought Blackbeard didn't sound too hugely different, and his new VA did a good job. I think with some of the others, like Hina and Sengoku, it's been long enough since I've heard their OG voices that I can't really compare well.
    Hidden:

Yeah, Blackbeard was really close. Slightly deeper and mostly dropped the southern accent, though.

Oh yeah, and I didn’t care for the Sengoku replacement. I feel like he wasn’t even trying to imitate the original. Though he only got a single quick line.
    Last edited by Zephray; October 30th, 2019 at 10:31 PM.

I exist...I guess....

Saw it Saturday then immediately had to get on a plane afterwards and spent the last few days too busy to comment on it before. Anyway, about the movie: not exactly the greatest plot and clearly just an excuse to throw in a bunch of characters/fanservice, but I don’t necessarily mind that sometimes (and certainly a better use of it than the previous movie). Though I was particularly surprised how much spotlight Usopp got, because I had gotten the impression the other Strawhats were going to mostly take a back seat to all the other returning characters. As for the new voice actors:
    Hidden:
    Blackbeard: Rager has a lot about Cole Brown’s performance into his take and it sounds good overall. It’s not quite the same, but I won’t hold that against him really.
    Sengoku: It went by so quick I didn’t really have time to even register it, but I guess from the little I heard it was fine
    Sabo: Honestly, Johnny Yong Bosch was who I thought they would cast for Sabo before Gold, so glad they came around to that eventually. He’s great, but that was to be expected.
    Hina: Only reason I noticed a difference is because I went into the movie knowing it was a different actress, otherwise it would have probably went over my head
    Bullet: This was quite impressive; not really the voice itself (its good, but not the most unique), but more as a testament to the range of the actor. Going off Daman’s previous roles I would not have expected he could do a voice like this.
    Festa: Sounded good, but not really much to say about it. Frankly, Festa in general didn’t seem to be utilized well enough to even justify him being here.
    Morgans was also a pretty good fit. Also we got voice actors for Vice Admirals Bastille and Maynard, which weren’t exactly significant or noteworthy, but that’s two more characters in the Dressrosa arc we have cast before actually getting to that arc.

Beyond that, it’s great it was great to hear so many of these characters again and all coming together like this; Law, Smoker, Barto, and Buggy were particularly noteworthy. Also good to see that the movie is doing well; I’m guessing, along with the dual audio option, the quicker release here is largely responsible for that (by the time Film Gold came to theaters here there were already available fansubs).

Quote Originally Posted by BellisarioFaith View Post
    Agreed with what others have said about the voices. I def like JYB better as Sabo. With Vic, I literally just heard Ed Elric, but at least this time, while I could hear that they were the same person, I didn't think Sabo sounded exactly like Fuyuhiko/Kokichi. (I'm sure I've seen JYB in other stuff too, but DR was the one that came to mind for the moment.) Just fits better with him, too, I'd say.
    Yeah Johnny definitely has a better range. In fact I didn't even know it was him until the credits, whereas with Vic I could tell instantly. I know that'll be subjective for everyone though, since my friend who seen the movie with me could tell it was Johnny instantly.

Duuuude

Movie was awesome. Voice stuff:

Hina sounded almost exactly like she used to. She didn't speak in the third person here, but it's possible she didn't in Japanese either. There was only one line in English where they could've, but they didn't bother. Not the end of the world.

Blackbeard was fine. Although I'm waaaaay too familiar with Chris Rager's work, so I kept hearing a really angry Arlong. Shouldn't matter though, as I doubt Arlong will be returning to the dub any time soon. Or ever.

Sengoku I can't really judge. Only one small line. Hard to replace a unique voice like Ed Blaylock's.

Kizaru I think was the most improved of the secondary cast. Mike McFarland and Ray Hurd really nailed down the "slow" side of Kizaru's speech in this movie, right down to hanging onto the last syllable of his sentences, like he's too lazy to stop talking. His best performance yet.

JYB was great as Sabo. Excellent choice. I also think Apoo's got one of the best voices in the dub.

Everyone else was the same. Top quality stuff.

The only voice I'm a little down on is Fujitora. He doesn't sound as old or well-traveled in English. I'll need more time with him.

Quote Originally Posted by midod View Post
    Bullet: This was quite impressive; not really the voice itself (its good, but not the most unique), but more as a testament to the range of the actor. Going off Daman’s previous roles I would not have expected he could do a voice like this.
    Yeah. Bullet's voice was pretty standard and the delivery was pretty typical. I keep talking about Shiki's VA as being the best at giving unconventional deliveries, but now that G1 mentions it, Apoo has really unconventional deliveries too. Partly, this is because those characters are more interesting than Bullet, but I do think it's possible to insert a little more personality into the role than Daman did. I'm thinking of Tesoro or Zed in the last two films; those actors added a good bit to their characters (though I have reservations about how Tesoro's actor handled his mental break at the end--not wild enough for me, despite his working as Hisoka in HxH). I wish Mike would push the villains in particular to get a little more crazy, to try new stuff like Scott McNeil's Shiki did.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    Excellent choice. I also think Apoo's got one of the best voices in the dub.

The only voice I'm a little down on is Fujitora. He doesn't sound as old or well-traveled in English. I'll need more time with him.
    Yeah, Apoo's voice is pretty great. The dub usually picks the voices well, but every so often they slide the most perfect person you can imagine into the role: Blackbeard, Apoo, Law, Bart, Buggy, new Sabo, etc.

Same here on Fujitora; his performance in EoS was much better. He was slower ("well-traveled") and deeper (older sounding), absolutely. That seems like such an easy role to cast well, I'm surprised they're messing it up. Here's hoping it goes back to his former performance. Google "Fujitora dub" for clips of that.

New dub clip:

https://twitter.com/onepieceanime/st...827352582?s=21

Otsuka-san, director of the film, approves of the dub: https://twitter.com/takaswy1981/stat...44050272124929

Sonny's dubbing some Usopp today as well: https://twitter.com/sonnystrait/stat...615272972?s=19
    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

Sixteen characters of :D

Did he accidentally tag the not-yet-officially-released manga chapter?

He sure did.

I wish we would get info on the dub release date...

Quote Originally Posted by MugiwaraPirate View Post
    He sure did.

I wish we would get info on the dub release date...
    Unless it’s months away, I’d rather they just drop the episodes without warning. More fun that way.

...though I would like to know if it’s weeks or months away... so I guess a release date would be fine haha

I hope they do a first(insert any day of the week) of every month schedule, or something similar to that.

Once a month would be lovely. That’s 3 episodes a week. Woot.

I mostly meant like the first Thursday for example, of every month they could drop 13 eps or so.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information