+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

  1. #21
    Lost in Traslation Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    This thread is interesting and I intend to follow it.
    Not only your commitment and ability to memorize all of this is impressive, but the responses from others who know Japanese and can clear up some areas (false info, a better translation ect.) makes this a interesting read.

  2. #22
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I wouldn't say it changes the word into an adjective, it just marks the adjective when modifying a noun. It's more like there are many words in Japanese that can be either nouns or adjectives. They also have tons of nouns that become verbs with "suru" etc. But anyway, I was trying to think of examples of adjectives that aren't really stand-alone nouns. One that comes to mind is kasuka (faint/dim). For example "kasuka na hikari." But I don't think you can use it on its own to mean "dimness" or something.
    I see. The gist(趣) of it is , things just need to be learnt as I go along and there's no easy way to distinguish things besides learning and picking things up.

    Thank you for the info :) much appreciate it.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    This thread is interesting and I intend to follow it.
    Not only your commitment and ability to memorize all of this is impressive, but the responses from others who know Japanese and can clear up some areas (false info, a better translation ect.) makes this a interesting read.
    Thank you so much Katzztar :)

    Memorising mass amounts of information is not easy, but it can be done with consistent studying and planning (I work full time, 9 hours a day on weekdays). I really appreciate people like foolio who is very knowledgeable to chip in and point out facts and tips.
    Last edited by SuburbanErrorist; April 5th, 2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: i wrote I study full time, but actually meant to say I WORK FULL TIME LOL

  3. #23
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Time sure does go super fast, 2 weeks ago I was almost at 1000 Kanji, but now I'm at 1290, guess you could say 1300 :)

    My personal tips for studying;
    Studying flashcards on weekends can be time consuming and you will be very distracted. I think a good idea is, if you are studying 25 Kanji per day, split it with maybe 8 Kanji every few hours on a weekend.

    Because I spend quite a bit of time on public transport (3 hours a day, maybe 3.5 hours, 1.5 each way), I make the best use of my time.
    I wake up at 5 am, get ready for work in about 20-30 minutes and go through 100 flashcards in about 20 minutes (revision), then I have about 10-20 minutes to study some new Kanji, I might do about 5-10.

    I get on a 5 minute bus trip to the station and I might do 1 or 2 more. I then sit on a 45 minute train and sometimes depending on how easy it is to create mnemonics, I can get 20 Kanji mnemonics done in 45 minutes, if not I have a 20 minute bus after I get off the train and I'll only have a few left and I'll have it done there.

    I have done this consistently for about 55 days, I missed one day due to a wedding but made it up by doing 25 Kanji a day instead of 23 over time :)

    All up, for me about 1.5-2 hours a day including 100 flashcard reviews.
    If you can take transport to work, do it! You will be much more motivated to study and mornings are the best time to study.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Keep it up You're doing a lot better then me I'm always on and off in my studies I keep getting distracted by stupid stuff (video games) I need to have better focus.

  5. #25
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukusho View Post
    Keep it up You're doing a lot better then me I'm always on and off in my studies I keep getting distracted by stupid stuff (video games) I need to have better focus.
    Thanks! Appreciate it.

    I play video games every night and on weekends. I'm a bit lazy myself but I'm getting through the Kanji one step at a time. I struggle to study on the weekend because I'd like to be with my friends on PS4.

    Try study at a place without distractions. Go in a coffee shop or a library.

  6. #26
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Some very interesting progressions today, but I'll leave this story for another day. (related to Kanji learning).

  7. #27
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Update!~

    Still only slightly picking up some vocab here and there and learnt the imasu, kimasu and kaerimasu which is going to be very useful (GO, come return).

    My focus is still Kanji. I'll do 25 more tomorrow morning and that will have me at 1700.

    That leaves me with 500 more to go. So in 20 days I will reach 2200.

    I do revision outside studying on Anki, I have gone threw a list of 2000 kanji a quite a few times circling characters I know.

    The last time I went through all the characters I learnt I only mixed meanings or briefly forgot 15/1600, mainly because I was rushing through the anki flashcards
    That's a 99% retention rate of characters and a majority of them are image memory thanks to Anki's review system and my outside custom study.

    2200 will take out the frustration of wondering what certain characters are or having to memorise them. This is wonderful!!!

  8. #28
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    That's it guys, 2200 Kanji done in 88 days ! The set process would have been 97 days, but it looks like I was ahead of schedule !

    I didn't really want to write the recent hardships I had again like my laptop breaking down mid learning Kanji.. but here is the E-mail I wrote to Niko at Nihongo shark which explains my little Kanji journey. WARNING. IT IS LONG.

    Spoiler:
    Hi Niko you remember when I started right?
    Ill have you know my personality is straight up LAZY and cant be bothered with anything in life but has the potential to do anything.
    Well I have been absolutely consistent !! It wasn't easy but I've finally done it.
    I just looked at the days and I realised I was 9 days in advance!
    I bought a laptop on the 24th of February to study the Kanji. I was doing 23 a day at first. Then I missed studying for one day after 1 month of consistent studying due to a wedding.
    I was doing 23 a day at a time so I bumped it up to 25 so I would catch up over time.
    Sometimes on sunday I wouldn't get through all of them and maybe study 12 a couple times and then I would make up for it by increasing my Kanji count for each day.

    One day I woke up on a sunday 2 and a half months in and my laptop broke down ! It wasnt working. So I was panicking. i went to a mall and tried to see if I could get ot fixed but no hope.
    I was trying to call some people to do repairs but couldn't reach them. I had to think quickly.

    I went and got the Samsung S6 on a plan because my phone was rubbish. (Impulse buy, nothings stopping me!)
    First thing I did was download Anki and go through all the kanji I had learnt (1800-1900ish) and set up the review intervals for all of them.
    So yes, i lost all my stories, but I didn't need them. All the stories are in my mind... when I memorise, I don't read what I wrote, I created stories based on how my mind perceived the Kanji in my own sight and the way I read the story in my mind was different each time.
    Koohii stories were unbelievably useful and helped me for story ideas so many times. But if i were to use the story, I would word it my own way.
    The past couple weeks I was doing 30 Kanji and sometimes 35 a day, simply because I had the time. In all honesty I have the time to study 70-80 a day, but I didn't have the brain for it. 40 I could feel it was very hard the next day for reviews.

    The reason why I had so much time was because i take public transport to work which is 3 hours a day.
    However, my routine was wake up and get ready for work. At 5 am. 5:30 I'm in bed and reviewing Kanji and start on study.
    6am I have a bus to the train station and Ill do a couple Kanji there.

    Then I have a train that goes for 45 minutes to where I need to catch my next bus. Sometimes I would finish studying by then.
    From there I would have another bus that goes for 20-30 minutes, so if I had a few more to study I could easily complete it there. Thats it, done for the day 7:30am, Im at work
    Later on because I had more time I bumped up the numbers.
    Hows my retention? 99%. i checked by going through 1900 Kanji and only mixed up the meaning of 15 characters because I was going too fast.
    Why is it so good? Well, of course Anki..
    But I did some of my own study.
    I got a whole list of 1945 常用漢字 and circled the characters I could recognize. I did this once in a while. So I was around the characters I was learning more. I would see Japanese articles and spot the characters I know.
    I also had many chinese friends at work and ask them "so this 感謝 means a deep thank you, a deep appreciation ". Stuff like that.
    In chinese it's 感谢 (gan xie). Close to Kan Sha haha.

    I found that being around the characters outside studying helped my retention rate. Outside random reviewing I'd like to call it.


    Also keep in mind that in 3 months I learnt the English meaning ONLY of 2200 Kanji.

    For example 今年 means this year. But I learnt 今 meaning (now, pronounced Ima). and
    年 means year. Not all Kanji are like this but if you combine now year, I guess it would mean this year?

    The word for that is Kotoshi, meaning this year (duh.. Suburban).

    So now I found that learning new words by looking at texts is so much easier because I don't need to focus on remembering the Kanji. I can easily just learn the alternate meanings as well, as some of you may or may not know, Kanji has multiple meanings !

    There's nothing more fun than looking at a complex article with many different Kanji and being able to recognize all of them and occasionally you will find 1 or 2 you might not know (actually currently, I haven't seen ones I don't know since reaching 2200). The Nihongo shark list was perfect ! This method is created off the idea of Remembering the Kanji by Heisig.

    Currently going through the Nihongoshark vocabulary deck and learnt some new words today.. now I start focussing on grammar, vocab build up and creating sentences having basic conversations which I can do a little of now thanks to attending the Japanese college.







  9. #29
    Paradoxically Positive minus.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In each other's hearts

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    I really love what you are doing and I hope you are doing great progress! I hope I can get serious on my language learning habits too! Ganbatte, SuburbanErrorist! Keep us updated!
    Things I think are cool!



  10. #30
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Quote Originally Posted by minus. View Post
    I really love what you are doing and I hope you are doing great progress! I hope I can get serious on my language learning habits too! Ganbatte, SuburbanErrorist! Keep us updated!
    ooo arigatou gozaimasu !

    I enjoy seeing little comments like this, makes me happy !

    Speaking of which, I was just going to post an update.

    Currently learning vocab, I have learnt a lot and a few handy little phrases and conversation ideas with Anki app. (Nihongosharks vocab deck). Learnt tones of vocabulary over the past 3-4 weeks. Maybe around 500 give or take. The thing I like about Anki is is that it will ensure I won't forget that word and keeps me going through the spaced repetition.

    Didn't really touch grammar until pretty much today. I'm liking Tae Kims online guide. I'm learning new vocabulary and I'm getting sentence ideas, learning new ways of speaking and expressing myself, things I haven't really heard of..

    Like changing Kawaii (cute) to kawakunai (not cute) or Takai (tall) to Takakunai (not tall).

    A lot of grammar I've been learning is just picking things up from the example phrases in the Anki deck. Past tense and present/future are much more clear to me now.

  11. #31
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    So just a quick update. I am going to Japan for 1 month! I leave on 30th July. Holy crap that's like 19 days away, I booked this 3 months ago. I might try post a rough idea of what I'm doing because I am a terrible planner and I like to do things as I go. Anyways..My current study routine continues. I pretty much study 2 hours everyday and maybe spend close to an hour on top of that doing something Japanese like reading in my own time or talking to someone Japanese, (well trying to talk lol).My study routine now;Review Kanji I've memorised, 100 per day. I have memorised 2200 Kanji so I'm ensuring all is retained and is pretty much 99% retained.Study new words everyday with sentence context. I believe I have memorised close to a thousand words. Thanks to Anki I am always reviewing it and I won't completely forget about it.My level of Japanese now is;2200 Kanji individually memorised1000 give or take words learnt (with Kanji)NO GRAMMAR.I've only picked up grammar for exposure. Mainly particles such as wa, ni, wo, no, na adjectives, past and present/future tense.I am told my speaking is like a native from my Japanese friends, I am rather surprised.. However I can't have a proper conversation with someone. If I first meet someone I can ask a lot about them, talk a little bit, express how I feel.If i want to talk more deeply I can't because I am not at that level yet.Anyone have an idea on grammar books that use Kanji? I'd rather not only hiragana..Really need that 文法
    Last edited by SuburbanErrorist; July 10th, 2016 at 03:07 PM.

  12. #32
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Hey guys!

    Haven't posted in a while, but I've been studying around two hours everyday since my last post.

    I went to Japan for all of August and I must say, from that one month my Japanese improved ridiculously well. Listening side and I gained a few native tricks, because you know, I'm around Japanese people and I like to copy them.

    I was still studying everyday whilst in Japan. When I say study, I've only been studying vocabulary everyday and reading materials of my own choice.

    I'm looking at textbooks, since my Japanese level is a bit weird, I might just go through the genki 1 & 2. I have a vocabulary of about 2000 words and majority (85-90%) are words with Kanji in them. I know there are 2000 words in my Anki deck and I've almost completed it I also know other words I've picked up on my own.

    Right now I am trying to get my head around dakara and node.

    I learnt somehow that dakara and node (pronounced no deh) mean "so". But apparently node is used as "because".
    This is what I learnt
    授業はありますので時間がありません (jugyou wa arimasu node jikan ga arimasen) Meaning I don't have time because I have class.

    In English you would say I don't have time because I have class.

    In Japanese it's written back to front, I have class (because node) I don't have time.

    To me the sentence would make sense to me as my understanding/translation is "I have class so I don't have time"


    Dakara is a really confusing one for me. I thought this meant so. I'll write an example of how I thought it could be used. (Here is a link that's confusing me with how I use dakara below http://maggiesensei.com/2011/11/18/r...sorede-dakara/

    今時間がありませんだから行きません
    Ima jikan ga arimasen dakara ikimasen

    I don't have time now so I can't go. In this sentence I would use node in place of dakara thinking it would mean so.

    Also if I were to say in English,

    "My friend didn't turn up so."

    I learnt that dakara could be used as so... at the end of a sentence. So I would try to express that in japanese (above is translation), example;
    友達は来なかっただから
    tomodachi wa konakatta dakara..

    I'm a bit unsure if that is correct, but I am trying to figure it out. I heard a lot of people in Japan saying dakara at the end of a sentence so that's how I came to that conclusion of Dakara being used as "so...".

    Then the desukedo which is adding a but.. at the end of a sentence. Just thought I'd put this out there.
    Last edited by SuburbanErrorist; September 21st, 2016 at 03:25 PM.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    I keep rewriting my response because I don't really know to organize my thoughts. First of all, I think it's kind of a problem to try to make grammatical sense of a construct in Japanese by trying to find the closest structural approximation in English. You've got this layer of confusion over whether it's "because" or "so" depending on how you order the sentence and it doesn't get you anything. Instead just remember that in Japanese conjunctions, just like particles, modify the preceding clause. "Because" is the most direct translation, but sometimes it sounds better with "so." Doesn't change what it means though. For example, you wouldn't say "Wait a few minutes because I'm just finishing something," you'd probably say "I'm just finishing something so wait a few minutes." But it makes no difference as long as you understand the Japanese construct.

    I also think you are getting further confused by trying to compare ので to だから when you should be comparing ので to から. Because those two are pretty much completely interchangeable. As that blog you linked alludes to, aside from its idiomatic uses だから is just a conjugation, if you will, of から. If you are trying to say "because it is quiet," using から you get 静かだから and using ので you get 静かなので. They mean exactly the same thing (ので is less formal, if you're curious). With a verb no modification is needed, i.e. 行くので and 行くから both mean "because I'm going."

    And it's even the same thing for starting a new sentence (in which there is an implicit preceding phrase). So technically you could equally say だから言わない and なので言わない ("so I'm not telling you"), although the former is by far the common one. The same goes with the end of sentences. Ending a sentence with だから isn't some special usage; it's the same grammar. You're just giving the reason after the consequence (which was presumably mentioned previously). Like saying "I hate you. Because you're mean."

    And as I said before, there are always idioms or set phrases. Such as ones like だからどうした ("so what?") that are mentioned in the blog.

    I hope this helps...

  14. #34
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    I keep rewriting my response because I don't really know to organize my thoughts. First of all, I think it's kind of a problem to try to make grammatical sense of a construct in Japanese by trying to find the closest structural approximation in English. You've got this layer of confusion over whether it's "because" or "so" depending on how you order the sentence and it doesn't get you anything. Instead just remember that in Japanese conjunctions, just like particles, modify the preceding clause. "Because" is the most direct translation, but sometimes it sounds better with "so." Doesn't change what it means though. For example, you wouldn't say "Wait a few minutes because I'm just finishing something," you'd probably say "I'm just finishing something so wait a few minutes." But it makes no difference as long as you understand the Japanese construct.

    I also think you are getting further confused by trying to compare ので to だから when you should be comparing ので to から. Because those two are pretty much completely interchangeable. As that blog you linked alludes to, aside from its idiomatic uses だから is just a conjugation, if you will, of から. If you are trying to say "because it is quiet," using から you get 静かだから and using ので you get 静かなので. They mean exactly the same thing (ので is less formal, if you're curious). With a verb no modification is needed, i.e. 行くので and 行くから both mean "because I'm going."

    And it's even the same thing for starting a new sentence (in which there is an implicit preceding phrase). So technically you could equally say だから言わない and なので言わない ("so I'm not telling you"), although the former is by far the common one. The same goes with the end of sentences. Ending a sentence with だから isn't some special usage; it's the same grammar. You're just giving the reason after the consequence (which was presumably mentioned previously). Like saying "I hate you. Because you're mean."

    And as I said before, there are always idioms or set phrases. Such as ones like だからどうした ("so what?") that are mentioned in the blog.

    I hope this helps...
    Thanks!

    Yes you are right, I am always thinking about the exact construct comparisons between English and Japanese. Now with Anki flashcards I'm looking less at the English translations because it was getting annoying how I would word it differently in English. Instead I would just pretty much ditch the English and understand what the Japanese sentence says.

    Trying to forget about English side and change my way of thinking to Japanese which requires adjusting the way I think.

    Yes this helps a lot. I didn't really know about just から until this morning, I always had だから & ので as the interchangeable ones in my mind.

    Also I have a recommendation I am looking for.

    I bought online Genki 1 & 2 for self study because I just don't know which textbook caters for my level. Kanji is not an issue as I am learning words everyday at a steady pace and cementing the knowledge with Anki, however my grammar power and sentence conjugation ((接続詞) is lacking. I am looking for textbooks that cater more for me. I'll go through Genki but I would probably be a fair bit ahead knowledge wise as I already know a fair bit through my not so organised but good study. I'll take what it has along with book #2 then I can see where I am at. I'm sure I am capable of both books in under a year. Of course I will continue with cycling 15-30 new words per day on Anki and personal reading.




  15. #35

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    It sounds to me like you need a fairly beginner textbook grammar-wise but one that doesn't treat you like a complete idiot. In that sense I've never liked Genki too much. I would personally suggest looking into Elementary Japanese (it's two volumes; I only linked the first one). You'll fly through the vocab probably but still.

    If you just want a grammar reference then pick up A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. It's pretty good. They also have ones for intermediate and advanced grammar if you eventually feel interested.

  16. #36
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    It sounds to me like you need a fairly beginner textbook grammar-wise but one that doesn't treat you like a complete idiot. In that sense I've never liked Genki too much. I would personally suggest looking into Elementary Japanese (it's two volumes; I only linked the first one). You'll fly through the vocab probably but still.

    If you just want a grammar reference then pick up A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar. It's pretty good. They also have ones for intermediate and advanced grammar if you eventually feel interested.
    Thanks. I already had Genki 1 with work book Genki 2 on order. Totals up to 159 USD. Also just bought the Elementary Japanese textbook since it looks REALLY good. Seems to use Kanji here and there along with Katakana.
    Dropped a lot of cash, around 200 usd for a total of 4 books. But once I am completely done with them, I'll probably resell them.

  17. #37
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    So far I have only received Genki book 1 and the workbook.

    I'm really only using the book and not the CD simply because of the hassle of getting onto a computer and me being out of the house 14 hours per day or more (work, travel to work and home).

    Anyway,
    I skimmed through 130 pages of Genki 1 in one day which was stuff I already knew. Then from page 130 I started taking it slower. I understand and can read everything but just making sure I don't miss anything. Currently up to page 170 now and there is a lot of new stuff to me like conjugations and different ways of doing so.

    So far it's pretty good and the conjugations are really what I'm wanting to learn since I want to construct longer sentences and get my idea across better to the Japanese and when reading.

    In regards to vocabulary and Kanji in the book. I haven't come across one Kanji I don't know that the text book has. I skimmed through all the vocabulary to see what it was like throughout the whole book and I knew all the words on the vocab list. I had no issue reading anything so far.

    I'm very proud of myself getting to this level, it has made things pretty easy for me as I can read texts very quickly. So I recommend SRS like Anki to do it.

    This is the deck I have finished and reviewing now, if you get familiar with Anki you can import it and use it;

    https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/174064441.

    This is by far the best structured deck I have seen, I'm so grateful for it and it was free. 2000 vocab words with sentences, readings (only in hiragana) and also has sound if you want to use it so the text is read for you by a native Japanese persons voice. I picked up so much grammar from this it was pretty great but the sentences are really simple.
    If you do 30 cards a day (1 word card and 1 sentence with the word card) you will complete it in 133 days. I did go through a period when I did 60 cards per day which was good, but the reviews are what kills you. I mean 300-500 reviews per day was very hard to get through (I did complete it everyday, but I'm no ordinary person).
    So I think I completed this a fair bit less than 4 months.

    I'm currently building my own deck of frequent vocabulary words, but I heard there was a really good deck for branching which I might look into (this one is not free).

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Just thought I'd spit this up a little bit.

    Closing in on 2300-2500 words on Anki, it's all about reviewing and maintaining the knowledge so this is how many words I am going through spaced out everyday.

    The rate I am going with 15 words studied on Anki per day, 15x365 = 5475. So this time next year I should have a much larger vocabulary.

  18. #38
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    Managed to get a picture at a smaller size, not sure how cropping works when posting here.. but anyways
    Just got Genki 2 and as Foolio recommended I bought the Elementary Japanese volume 1. This one is very thick. Bigger compared to the Genki books.
    I'll be having a read through it soon and figure out where I can start from. Just looking at Genki 2's vocab, it's pretty good for me, new words and expressions to learn.

    Spoiler:


    Learning words, fun fact

    Spoiler:
    I know all the general use Kanji having gone through Heisig (2200), just because I don't know the word doesn't mean I don't know the Kanji. E.g, I don't know the word 面接(Mensetsu = Interview) in the book, however I know that the first Kanji is in the word 画 Gamen meaning screen, second Kanji on the right. 続 Setsuzoku meaning connection has the second Kanji in the word interview 接. gamen, setsuzoku, just like magic we have mensetsu.

    Now there are many exceptions for this but I'm not going through everything I found, this is something I found personally, but I can take a guess on how words are pronounced without studying onyomi and kunyomi (the many pronunciation a Kanji can have).
    Last edited by SuburbanErrorist; October 11th, 2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: punctual error >.<

  19. #39
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    I am pretty much 3/4 way through Genki 1. It's been pretty quick mainly because I already know 99% of the vocabulary used in the 12 lessons and because I either;
    a) Know the grammar
    b) Understand it quickly because I have gotten really familiar with the language and phrases.

    What I need to get more familiar with is with the casual language. While it's great to know the "proper way" Japanese is written, the casual is a different ball game. I spent two days with Japanese friends, talking all day, meeting new people so I spun out the things I have learnt and could have nice conversations with people that don't speak English.
    I struggle more on the listening part, so if you're reading this, get into them mp3 downloads and watch a drama here and there.

    More and more things start to click when I see them again, grammar I have seen in the past and had no idea what was happening is an example.

    I decided that sometime at the end of the first quarter of next year I will attempt the JLPT3 (日本語能力試験)which is a recognised test, this one being the 3rd Hardest among JLPT.
    This just to see what level I am at after going through textbooks. People say Genki 2 knowledge isn't enough but because of vocabulary and Kanji level, which I found I am well far ahead of.

  20. #40
    二兎を追う者は一兎も得ず SuburbanErrorist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Japan

    Default Re: Suburban Errorist's Japanese Language Learning Log

    So I said I was 3/4 way through Genki, but I really only counted textbook pages, I was on lesson 12. The last 90ish pages are just Kanji practice etc so I'll be skipping that since they are all really easy, I know all their meanings and through vocab practice I already know at least one of the Onyomi/Kunyomi readings. Like hell I would sit and memorise them individually anyway hahaa.

    Anyway, so on lesson 12 of the textbook, I found it the most difficult, only because of the んです. Now one thing I found annoying in Genki and only thanks to google, talking to friends I could figure these things out. Also using my brain.. anyway..

    A problem for example is んです (ndesu). For those who don't know what this is you can find a little explanation here but basically you can report a statement or it can be offered as a means of explanation. The problem isn't the meaning, but more so how I connect this to the verb 住む (Which means live as in "where do you live" in this case)

    Like the way I am thinking is it 住むんです (Sumundesu)。 住むなんです (Sumunandesu)。 住みなんです (Suminandesu). I am still unsure about this one and it would be the same for verbs such us 読む (Yomu), 飲む(Nomu).

    But I do however know I can say Nondeirundesu (飲んでいるんです), Yondeirundesu (読んでいるんです), Sundeirundesu (住んでいるんです)

    I just think it would be nice to have a table, just like Tae kims little tables that make the rest self explanatory
    Genki at times was good with the tables, but sometimes lacking with the different variables. It's not something to memorise per say, but just as a reference.

    I mean I had a look at tae kims past tense/negatives of na and I adjectives (Janai, kunai) and I'm not gonna explain why you can check his site, like you don't say;

    Hoshiijanai (ほしいじゃない), you say Hoshikunai (ほしくない) or don't say Shizukakunai (静かくない) you say Shizukajanai (静かじゃない)

    At least this is what I found helpful.

    I'm writing this at work so it's a bit rushed.
    Last edited by SuburbanErrorist; October 18th, 2016 at 07:41 PM. Reason: past tense / negatives of na and i adjectives.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts