+ Reply to Thread
Page 441 of 461 FirstFirst ... 341 391 431 439 440 441 442 443 451 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,820 of 9214

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

Shanks is allowed to be the balance guy because he passed on his will to Luffy. Maybe he still wants to go for One Piece, since Roger had passed on his hat before finding it, but I can't imagine Roger having a casual meeting with the Gorosei and it seems to make some sense?
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Shanks is allowed to be the balance guy because he passed on his will to Luffy. Maybe he still wants to go for One Piece, since Roger had passed on his hat before finding it, but I can't imagine Roger having a casual meeting with the Gorosei and it seems to make some sense?
    Passing the hat doesnt signify that though, or at least there is no confirmation. We have no idea what it means. Luffy didn't proclaim he was going to be PK or Find One Piece when Shanks gave him the hat. We dont knkw why Roger left it to Shanks. There's clearly more history/flashback intended for this.

The fact that there is a Giant strawhat with the WG means it may have more importance than a Pirates goal.

I really love Luffy pointing out that before the time skip it would have taken the whole crew working together with all they had to take down one of the numbers and now he can one shot that creature

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    Passing the hat doesnt signify that though, or at least there is no confirmation. We have no idea what it means. Luffy didn't proclaim he was going to be PK or Find One Piece when Shanks gave him the hat. We dont knkw why Roger left it to Shanks. There's clearly more history/flashback intended for this.

The fact that there is a Giant strawhat with the WG means it may have more importance than a Pirates goal.
    He literally claimed that he was going to be Pirate King right before Shanks gave him the hat and Shanks says he acts just like he did as a kid. Maybe he (still?) wants to be Pirate King as well, or maybe he doesn't, but he definitely sees himself and Roger in Luffy. This might be some kind of fallacy, but if Shanks saw himself in Luffy and everyone sees Roger in Luffy, I don't think it's at all a stretch to suggest that Roger saw himself in Shanks and passed the hat alone in a similar gesture as Shanks to Luffy. The only thing I can suggest against this notion is Roger's desire for his son to find One Piece in the future instead of for Shanks to do so, though I imagine the reason is related to whatever Shanks was crying about.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.

Is Drake the guy Hawkings said had a 1% chance at surviving?

Hawkins is usually making predictions about Luffy, he seems to have an interest in him.

I think that he's intrigued that Luffy's chances aren't exactly 0%. We may find that his chances go up the longer the arc goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    He literally claimed that he was going to be Pirate King right before Shanks gave him the hat and Shanks says he acts just like he did as a kid. Maybe he (still?) wants to be Pirate King as well, or maybe he doesn't, but he definitely sees himself and Roger in Luffy. This might be some kind of fallacy, but if Shanks saw himself in Luffy and everyone sees Roger in Luffy, I don't think it's at all a stretch to suggest that Roger saw himself in Shanks and passed the hat alone in a similar gesture as Shanks to Luffy. The only thing I can suggest against this notion is Roger's desire for his son to find One Piece in the future instead of for Shanks to do so, though I imagine the reason is related to whatever Shanks was crying about.

Sorry, haven't read chapter 1 in a while lol.

Anyway, im not sure it directly means this, only because Shanks doesn't seem like he's directly trying to become PK. He even says in chapter 1 "even better than us huh" when Luffy claims this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    Sorry, haven't read chapter 1 in a while lol.

Anyway, im not sure it directly means this, only because Shanks doesn't seem like he's directly trying to become PK. He even says in chapter 1 "even better than us huh" when Luffy claims this.
    Yep. Since chapter 1 his motives have been hidden from us, but we do know that he thinks Luffy is just like he was as a kid. My thought is that Roger passed his will onto Shanks, who decided differently at some point, thus Roger hoping for his (not yet conceived) son to find One Piece. Shanks went to the correct island but found someone else to take on Roger's will instead since, for whatever reason, his will changed. We know that after Roger came back from Laugh Tale Shanks cried for some reason. Maybe he gave up on that dream for some reason or another? It's just conjecture, but I do think based on his initial comment about Luffy being just like him as a kid and what we know about Luffy's similarities to Roger, we can infer that the passing of the hat is symbolic of seeing one's self in another.

I gotta say, "Shanks is working for the WG" is one of the most far out theories in a while that I've seen the OP community to like, seriously ponder.

It would be like, I don't know, Gandalf betraying everyone at the end of the The Hobbit.
    LIE
    CHEAT STEAL
    KILL WIN

Quote Originally Posted by FatDogForMidTerms View Post
    I gotta say, "Shanks is working for the WG" is one of the most far out theories in a while that I've seen the OP community to like, seriously ponder.

It would be like, I don't know, Gandalf betraying everyone at the end of the The Hobbit.
    It makes sense, doesn’t it?

We think we know Shanks because he’s been around since the beginning... but he’s only appeared in about 15 chapters total.

Chapter 233. How did the Gorosei know that Shanks sent envoys to Whitebeard? Are they watching him? Why would it be “catastrophic”? When we saw it happen, they didn’t cause too much of a ruckus.

“Shanks could do a lot of damage, but I don’t think his ambitions include world conquest.”
    “We should assess the situation before making any hasty moves.”
    “The destruction of the three great powers would reverberate throughout the world. They must be protected.”

Three great powers... the Shichibukai, the Marines, and the Yonkou. Sounds like the Gorosei wants to maintain hegemony — meaning their goals are aligned with Shanks. Shanks is on a leash.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Since you seem to feel there will be no major changes and the same status quo will reign, which path do you see the world of OP going on? Will it just rinse and repeat another great age of piracy based on Luffy? Is the age of piracy just a fact of life that can't be avoided? Cause i sure feel like the age of piracy is a symptom of underlying problems and not something unavoidable.
    Well, there are the Sea Trains. Obviously, they are still very new technology, but if W7 can mass produce them, that would help long-distance travel through the OP world.

Quote Originally Posted by FatDogForMidTerms View Post

It's been too long, but I think when Gandalf resurrected(reincarnated) into Gandalf the White and met the first of the fellowship, they were initially scared of him. And and and it touched multiple times on Gandalf being tempted by the ring or joining up w Suaromon. So it wouldn't have been total totaly left field. It might be harder to see now that the story is so old and hindsight is 20/20, but if LOTR ran weekly like OP, there would be discussions to be had at certain points I believe. Interesting thought!

Quote Originally Posted by thegab View Post
    It's been too long, but I think when Gandalf resurrected(reincarnated) into Gandalf the White and met the first of the fellowship, they were initially scared of him. And and and it touched multiple times on Gandalf being tempted by the ring or joining up w Suaromon. So it wouldn't have been total totaly left field. It might be harder to see now that the story is so old and hindsight is 20/20, but if LOTR ran weekly like OP, there would be discussions to be had at certain points I believe. Interesting thought!
    Shanks has been written with such subtlety that it’s easy to miss the hints. Chapter 234. Shanks heads to Whitebeard to stop Ace. Ben Beckmann asks if the government would stop them. Shanks doesn’t seem concerned. Not because he’s strong, but because he’s affiliated.

Chapter 434. Whitebeard calls out Shanks for his notoriety AND his willpower (metaphor manifest in conquerer’s haki). Shanks asks Whitebeard to stop Ace. Whitebeard drunkenly and arrogantly refuses, clinging to his memories of an era long gone. Whitebeard was the catalyst of the chaos of today and Shanks tried to maintain balance.

The question remains. What are Shanks’ ambitions? Why is his willpower so incredible? What is he trying to prevent?

Quote Originally Posted by gyuukarubi View Post
    Shanks has been written with such subtlety that it’s easy to miss the hints. Chapter 234. Shanks heads to Whitebeard to stop Ace. Ben Beckmann asks if the government would stop them. Shanks doesn’t seem concerned. Not because he’s strong, but because he’s affiliated.
    I think Shanks didn't care because it was so urgent. It was worth it. Just like how BM didn't care that the WG would listen in on her call to Kaido

I don't see Shanks having this other agenda. I think he rather keep the balance and at times the WG and his interest align enough to cooperate or at least share info.

In the end, I don't even see Im or the WG as the "big bad", if there is one. I always felt Madara wouldn't be the "big bad" for Kishimoto's series as well, so i'll wait to see how this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I think Shanks didn't care because it was so urgent. It was worth it. Just like how BM didn't care that the WG would listen in on her call to Kaido

I don't see Shanks having this other agenda. I think he rather keep the balance and at times the WG and his interest align enough to cooperate or at least share info.

In the end, I don't even see Im or the WG as the "big bad", if there is one. I always felt Madara wouldn't be the "big bad" for Kishimoto's series as well, so i'll wait to see how this goes.
    Ch. 96: The Greatest Evil in the East

I get the feeling that the futures envisioned by all these factions may be “evil,” to some degree. The Marines pursue justice, law, and order — but internally, each individual takes actions according to his own moral
    compass (which ends up disastrous under despots like Morgan and Akainu).

The World Government and the Military sanction genocide, child experimentation, human trafficking, slavery, drug production, and illicit weapons trade.

Certain pirates are given legal right to depose governments and run amok (Crocodile; Doflamingo). Others are able to hold entire territories due to their power.

And then you have forces of pure chaos and anarchy... Eustass Kid and Blackbeard.

Yet Shanks aims to preserve balance? Why?

I get the feeling that the futures envisioned by all these factions may be “evil,” to some degree. The Marines pursue justice, law, and order — but internally, each individual takes actions according to his own moral

The World Government and the Military sanction genocide, child experimentation, human trafficking, slavery, drug production, and illicit weapons trade.

Certain pirates are given legal right to depose governments and run amok (Crocodile; Doflamingo). Others are able to hold entire territories due to their power.

And then you have forces of pure chaos and anarchy... Eustass Kid and Blackbeard.

To avoid another guy like Rocks appears before Luffy becomes the Pirate King, perhaps?

I mean it would be quite a twist if Luffy's mentor figure turns out as OP's version of evil James Bond, I'll give you guys that.

And I don't mean to sound like a dick, I blame these pauses between chapters, everyone is bored, minds run wild, theories run amok, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.
    LIE
    CHEAT STEAL
    KILL WIN

Shanks found a way to harvest Haki, so Luffy is the equivalent of feeding your prey to make them fat and juicy.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Shanks found a way to harvest Haki, so Luffy is the equivalent of feeding your prey to make them fat and juicy.
    O_O

Maybe... “inherited will.”

Haki = willpower

Luffy = Joy Boy’s reincarnation

The Straw Hat absorbs willpower? Transfers it? Or is it that Roger had the Gomu Gomu no Mi and Luffy has the flames of the former Pirate King within him?

Maybe we shouldn’t trust Rayleigh so much?

Under what circumstances did this meeting happen?

Is Rayleigh hiding something?

Intentionally? Well, he is Mihawk’s dad.

Shanks possibly sees the chess board better. Meaning, he can see how it can get worse than it is. WB holding his spot is way better than this current era of chaos where Teach has the position. Not that he can predict everyone's moves, but if his main function is to preserve the balance, then a disruptor is who Shanks keeps his eye on.

There's disruption that can lead to the worst case scenario, then there's disruption that leads to "good". Teach and Luffy are disruptors. Roger was a disruptor. I don't think Shanks likes Teach's kind of disruption.

Remember what Doffy said. Without him, many countries that used his services/products are helpless and the "monsters" that he held back in some way no longer have a leash. I'm not convinced we've seen the worst yet. I'm keeping my eye out for whoever Shanks is warning the Gorosei about and I don't think it's Teach. He went to WB to pull back Ace, meaning it was somewhat in WB's power at that moment to change things. I think it's within the Gorosei's power to stop something that is right under their nose as well

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information