+ Reply to Thread
Page 432 of 461 FirstFirst ... 332 382 422 430 431 432 433 434 442 ... LastLast
Results 8,621 to 8,640 of 9218

Thread: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

  1. #8621

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    If that's the case then this is

    a) brutally honest

    and

    b) really, really cruel. Out of character cruel, warping my limited perception of Oda quite a bit.

    Like "people are literally crying right now due to the 5 years announcement, so let me double-down on it in the SBS "


    There is nothing comforting in his words the way you lay them before us, at least. Not saying you are wrong or that I personally even need some comforting phrases, but it's obvious what kind of role One Piece plays in a lot of people's lifes. He just shoudn't have said anything, really.
    Remember what Greg said in the same post. This is the same man who "teased" a crew member dying the following year, only for it to not happen for 4 years and it ending up being Merry. He does stuff like this so he can go back and say "well, I wasn't lying".

    As Greg now puts it I personally can believe the intention of the statement, but should we as fans actually believe that it will happen? I've been just taking this series as I go. There were so many progress comments and arguments even around the Punk Hazard days because of Law's intention to take down a Yonko (people thought it was going to happen WAY faster than it did) and yet here we are 300+ chapters later STILL awaiting that payoff.

    And even then, I appreciated that Oda took his time and fleshed everything out. I appreciated a full arc with Doflamingo and Big Mom. I appreciate that he took his time with Wano and we still are in the thick of it. When its all said and done, arc length honestly makes me enjoy the arcs more because I feel more invested on a full reread. So while I want to hope that there is significantly more after Wano, I can at least appreciate what came before that point.

    That, yes, we got here and that is an accomplishment. If Oda wants to draw 3 more 80 chapter arcs and a huge 200 chapter finale, all the power to him. I will be there every step of the way (hopefully) enjoying it and I'd love it if it happened.

  2. #8622

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    [...] wants to do a proper job [...]
    All I really need to know. Is he still doing his job properly? Is he not getting pressure from third parts? I'm more than good with it.
    Prediction.
    Quote Originally Posted by rayleigh92 View Post
    what if Rocks wanted to become the king of world... and he did i? Imu revealed to be Rocks could be a twist

  3. #8623

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    If that's the case then this is a) brutally honest and b) really, really cruel. Out of character cruel, warping my limited perception of Oda quite a bit.Like "people are literally crying right now due to the 5 years announcement, so let me double-down on it in the SBS "There is nothing comforting in his words the way you lay them before us, at least. Not saying you are wrong or that I personally even need some comforting phrases, but it's obvious what kind of role One Piece plays in a lot of people's lifes. He just shoudn't have said anything, really.
    Next we'll be seeing the glorious five year plan blimp.

  4. #8624

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by imperioonepiece View Post
    I'm not talking about an specific chapter or volume, but a range, for me I think that chapter counts are better because they don't depend on Jump breaks, while year counts do because there might be less chapters in a year because of those breaks.
    If Oda paces himself around a given year though, and cuts or streamlines content to hit that mark, that makes more sense than assuming he's going to try really hard to hit a specific chapter.

    Its one thing if you have a 13 volume series and each book has 13 chapters, but nothing about manga production lends itself to hitting specific chapter numbers. Full Metal Alchemist managed to clock out at exactly 108 chapters, but it only managed it by having the last chapter be super sized.

    Oda likes to do some big things on the chapter 100 anniversaries, and we know he cut a little content to make chapter 100 hit the way he did, and he shoots for wrapping up arcs around those milestones, but he rarely does a completely clean start or stop on a specific chapter so its very unlikely he cares if the final chapter is 1136 or 1274 as long as that's where the story feels right ending. (Obviously he'll care about filling up a full volume so from one volume to the next its going to be a 10 chapter window.) If he's telling himself "five more years" he's probably going to start pacing himself to that mark, wherever he feels that arbitrary line actually starts. Is it in January? Or July when the series started? Where does he put that mark for himself?



    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post

    Like "people are literally crying right now due to the 5 years announcement, so let me double-down on it in the SBS "


    There is nothing comforting in his words the way you lay them before us, at least. Not saying you are wrong or that I personally even need some comforting phrases, but it's obvious what kind of role One Piece plays in a lot of people's lifes. He just shoudn't have said anything, really.
    Yeah but... he IS planning to end in that range, so prepare people now? And in theory its supposed to hype the ending. "Oh, this 100+ volume series that has been running as long as I've been alive is reaching its conclusion? I lapsed for a while becaue I grew up but I'll start checking it out again!"

    Its a mixed bag and maybe he should have waited till after Wano to make the announcement, since its hard for casual fans to parse just how thats going to all pace out... and said "entering the final arc now... as both Naruto and Bleach did before continuing to run for another 5 years... but you know sales are lagging a bit and Demon Slayer is doing massively well partly because it was known that it was in its final stretch, and its his job to hype things up. "And ending is coming, honest!" seems like a good thing to promise 24 years in when there's still half a decade to go.

    Otherwise it'd be easy for people to assume he's going to stretch it out to year 35 or year 40 and that there's just no end ever coming. One Piece's length is great for people that are already fans, but its daunting and ridiculous and impossible to start for anyone that isn't. As much as I love and live and breathe the series I'd be hard pressed to recommend it to anyone new at this point in time, as good as it is its just such a HUGE investment of time.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  5. #8625
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    Remember what Greg said in the same post. This is the same man who "teased" a crew member dying the following year, only for it to not happen for 4 years and it ending up being Merry. He does stuff like this so he can go back and say "well, I wasn't lying".
    Yeah, this is all clear to me personally. But you know, this is the freaking SBS section. Half of the questions are about what happens to someones penis.

    Would it have hurt to add one more silly line after doubling down on the 5 years? Like "But I also said that 10 years ago LOL "

    Instead we deal with this somewhat nebulous BS that may or may not need interpretation.

    (Again, remember that he answered someone telling him that people literally cried because of this.)
    Last edited by Jabra; September 17th, 2020 at 02:30 PM.

  6. #8626

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    But you know, this is the freaking SBS section. Half of the questions are about what happens to someones penis.
    Has anyone ever asked if a sube sube no mi user can ever get any friction going? Cause that sounds like a bummer

  7. #8627

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    I don't understand your problem Jabra. It's comforting to know One Piece will end in a controlled manner. Not rushed due to other circumstances Oda can't control.
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

  8. #8628

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    That's a very loose reason to call someone cruel just because some readers are so attached to this work of fiction that they can't emotionally deal with its end. It's just a fair dose of truth, although uncalled for. The crying dudes should just accept it and move on, maybe even prepare themselves for the future.

  9. #8629

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post



    Yeah but... he IS planning to end in that range, so prepare people now? And in theory its supposed to hype the ending. "Oh, this 100+ volume series that has been running as long as I've been alive is reaching its conclusion? I lapsed for a while becaue I grew up but I'll start checking it out again!"

    Its a mixed bag and maybe he should have waited till after Wano to make the announcement, since its hard for casual fans to parse just how thats going to all pace out... and said "entering the final arc now... as both Naruto and Bleach did before continuing to run for another 5 years... but you know sales are lagging a bit and Demon Slayer is doing massively well partly because it was known that it was in its final stretch, and its his job to hype things up. "And ending is coming, honest!" seems like a good thing to promise 24 years in when there's still half a decade to go.

    Otherwise it'd be easy for people to assume he's going to stretch it out to year 35 or year 40 and that there's just no end ever coming..

    I do wonder if there is a huge difference in these concerns though compared to other manga. One Piece's is story is huge on just this aspect of "geography" playing a role in the story. We know Luffy hasn't gotten the 4th RP, and we know Laugh Tale now isn't at the end of the Grand Line, but then we ALSO haven't seen Elbaf. We ALSO haven't seen Vegapunk's facility, which is supposedly somewhere in the new world and not at New Marineford/Mariejois (which you can tell by Fujitora's predicament and Smoker's absense that its probably not at those 2 places). This all sort of folds onto the idea of the author "promising" what he teases I guess, but when he draws islands like Elbaf, Laugh Tale and God Valley with silhouettes, you almost feel like he eventually wants to show it.

    For example, the only truly notable locations already shown that the Strawhats haven't actually been to are New Marineford and Mariejois, and it there are some possible signs that they may serve as the warfront for the Final War considering what may happen to Fishman Island. Every other location teased has been visited (outside of islands that seem to serve a backdrop to scenes like Blackbeard and Beehive, the supernova in the new world pre-timeskip, or Dragon's original base), which leaves things very interesting for Elbaf, Lodestar, Laugh Tale or God Valley, because they have all be moderately teased before.

    Anyway, the point I'm making is Naruto and Bleach don't really have or truly had this issue on a fundamental scale. The only thing I recall from Bleach were fans wanting to see every Bankai, something that wasn't really promised by the author anyway.

    For One Piece its not only geographical locations, but also the pure fact that the majority of Oda's biggest characters (Im, Blackbeard, Shanks, Dragon, Vegapunk, Akainu, Admirals, Gorosei, etc etc etc) all have barely been touched upon in the overall plot. It took Doflamingo nearly 500 chapters to become relvant from the first time he was shown. It took Kaido and BM over 300 chapters before they were introduced from their original teases. Kuma is only starting to become more "relevant" now after like 700 chapters (he did have some big moments pre-timeskip admittedly). Vegapunk has been repeatedly teased for 500 chapters....you get my point.

    Its just that fundamental concern of the question of "Will Oda address everything in his story?", that really digs into people's minds. I feel like a lot of other manga didn't have this problem because they never really went to the same levels of depth that Oda does in terms of building his world.

    So its definitely understandable when people, including myself, are concerned about these progress statements sometimes.
    Last edited by Gia Sado; September 17th, 2020 at 02:45 PM.

  10. #8630

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    My thoughts summarized:

    https://youtu.be/nBcsVJvJsK8

    T
    he end of One Piece will mark the beginning of Romance Dawn (Not suggesting an actual title change)

    Personally, I feel relieved reading this statement because to me, it signals the fact that the series as a whole is not coming to a close within five years. I was always incredibly skeptical of Oda’s past statements on this topic. Personally, I just don’t see any way he can wrap up everything in such a short amount of time. I guess five years being short is relative, but given the sheer volume of remaining questions and characters whose storylines need to be concluded, it would be a herculean task to say the least. Significantly, I believe there are two major parts of the story remaining and I think that is both clarified and confirmed by volume 97.
    Regardless of the translation, it’s clear that the mystery of ‘what is the One Piece?’ will be answered in five years. Oda refers to this as the most exciting part of Luffy’s adventure. But it’s important to remember the fact that the story must continue beyond the discovery of the treasure which was left behind by Joy Boy 800 years ago to fulfill a very particular purpose.
    Roger was a dying man when he reached Laugh Tale and the pieces needed to challenge the world were not yet in place. He thus decided to disband his crew, using his final words to initiate the great pirate era and inspire a successor to inherit his will and re-discover One Piece.
    Whitebeard echoed Roger’s words at the Battle of Marineford where he warned that the whole world will be turned upside down when someone who inherits the will of Roger discovers the treasure which will be the catalyst for a war of epic proportion.
    It’s important to note that discovery One Piece initiates the final war, so, barring the Straw Hats proceeding directly from Wano to the final island, it’s impossible for this conflict to begin immediately following the current story arc. What Oda’s statement about the greatest war following Wano refers to is likely the battle for supremacy forewarned by Doflamingo after the collapse of his underworld empire. Morgans similarly foreshadows this conflict when he states that one of the worst generation pirates will soon succeed Roger as the next Pirate King. This group includes Luffy, Law, Kid and the other members of the Eleven Supernovas as well as Blackbeard.
    At the end of Wano, the Straw Hats will have three of the four Road Poneglyphs needed to reach Laugh Tale. Meanwhile, the Revolutionary Army has declared war on the World Government and the Seven Warlords have been disbanded. All of the Worst Generation members aside from Bonney and Urouge have now been present in at least one major story arc. With the fall of Kaido and potentially Big Mom, the only major player left in the New World, and likely the one guarding the final Road Poneglyph and thus the path to One Piece will be Red Haired Shanks.
    We will thus likely see a struggle between the Straw Hats and other members of their cohort culminating in the discovery of the treasure, the key to bringing about the Dawn of the New World, by the one destined to inherit Roger and Joy Boy’s will. All the while, the escalating conflict between the Revolutionary Army and the World Government makes waves around the world.
    I mentioned in a previous theory video (Shanks - The Mystery of God Valley; https://youtu.be/nbJaU05c4n0) that I believe this conflict between the Worst Generation members; notably Luffy and Blackbeard, as well as Shanks, could come to a head on the lost island of God Valley.
    Considering the current saga building to the battle between the Straw Hats, Big Mom, and Kaido began with Punk Hazard in 2012 and is unlikely to conclude for another year, a war among the worst generation for supremacy in the New World, culminating in the coronation of a new Pirate King can easily take five years worth of chapters.
    And so as Oda said, in five years, the story of One Piece ends….
    But not the publication of the series.
    Despite the huge scale of the One Piece world which features hundreds of characters, each with their own story, the central narrative arc, even in its most dramatic moments, has been focused on the Straw Hat Pirates on their epic adventure along the Grand Line in pursuit of the legendary treasure One Piece. Every action taken by Luffy and crew has been in pursuit of that goal. All of the world building has really just been a backdrop for the adventure. And so when the treasure is discovered and Luffy becomes the Pirate King, the narrative will fundamentally be shifted. Once the mystery of One Piece is answered, a new question will be asked. What then must the Pirate King, the person in the world who has maximized freedom then do with the will they have inherited? Luffy’s fun adventure in pursuit of an impossible dream will be complete. Laugh Tale is the point of apotheosis in Luffy’s hero’s journey beyond which, he will need to now shoulder the burden of history, as Whitebeard foretold, and complete that which Roger could not, bringing the light of the New Dawn. The last phase of the mythic hero’s journey is the return voyage from the special world, here rendered as the Grand Line, the world of pirates. The hero who has confronted their own shadow, represented in One Piece by Blackbeard, must then become the master of two worlds and attain the freedom to live if they have completed this voyage successfully. I’m going to tackle this topic in more depth in a future video, but it’s important to note that the hero’s journey is only complete when they take the power or knowledge acquired, the fire of the gods stolen by Prometheus, and return to the ordinary world from which they departed.
    In five years, the story of One Piece concludes when Luffy’s fun globetrotting adventure is complete and the mystery of the treasure is revealed. And so begins the story of Romance Dawn, in which Pirate King Luffy, the paragon of freedom, must confront the World Government and the dark forces which presently hold power, bringing about a global restoration.
    Last edited by Vongola_Boss_XI; September 20th, 2020 at 06:54 AM.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

    "ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

  11. #8631

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Vongola_Boss_XI View Post
    My thoughts summarized:

    Not sure how much I can realistically see this coming into fruition but I think it would be genuinely nuts if One Piece ended in 5 years after defeating Blackbeard and becoming Pirate King, and then got a title change in the form of "Romance Dawn" lol (I know you don't think this will happen). Im just imagining the series ending at like a 120 volumes, but then Oda announces this as a "sequel" series that runs for 20-30 volumes lol. Would be crazy, I'll admit. I do like that hero's journey diagram though.


    Anyway, I do agree with the "structure", in terms of changing the world after becoming PK. Whether or not OP lasts for 120 volumes and it doesn't happen as elegantly as people want, or Oda does something ridiculous and ends up at 140-150 volumes because he can't help himself, is going to be fun to think about as time goes on. I don't really believe it'll reach those numbers though, thats a little ridiculousXD
    Last edited by Gia Sado; September 17th, 2020 at 04:07 PM.

  12. #8632

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Gia Sado View Post
    Not sure how much I can realistically see this coming into fruition but I think it would be genuinely nuts if One Piece ended in 5 years after defeating Blackbeard and becoming Pirate King, and then got a title change in the form of "Romance Dawn" lol (I know you don't think this will happen). Im just imagining the series ending at like a 120 volumes, but then Oda announces this as a "sequel" series that runs for 20-30 volumes lol. Would be crazy, I'll admit. I do like that hero's journey diagram though.


    Anyway, I do agree with the "structure", in terms of changing the world after becoming PK. Whether or not OP lasts for 120 volumes and it doesn't happen as eloquently as people want, or Oda does something ridiculous and ends up at 140-150 volumes because he can't help himself, is going to be fun to think about as time goes on. I don't really believe it'll reach those numbers though, thats a little ridiculousXD
    lol crazy, but not entirely without precedent; I believe 20th Century Boys changed title to 21st Century Boys for the last 2 volumes, though they were sort of an epilogue... but also still the same story.

    I think the structure is the critical part here; It just doesn't make sense given all the things we know for the true final conflict to come before the discovery of One Piece - and the Straw Hats aren't headed for Laugh Tale right after Wano.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

    "ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

  13. #8633
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Next we'll be seeing the glorious five year plan blimp.
    I might be laughing right now, but I fully reject the idea on every level. I'm not a heartless monster like Eichiiro Oda.

    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation
    The crying dudes should just accept it and move on, maybe even prepare themselves for the future.

    Spoiler:

  14. #8634
    POE WUN BGR Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shadow Aaron Island

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Factually i'm sure you are right, but tell that to the internet. I'm calling it here, this will be making the rounds for years to come. The new pirate summit is upon us
    Complete agreement. I just like this space at AP because we can work through those things.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by imperioonepiece View Post
    I'm not talking about an specific chapter or volume, but a range, for me I think that chapter counts are better because they don't depend on Jump breaks, while year counts do because there might be less chapters in a year because of those breaks.

    Looking at chaps or volumes is problematic bc it assumes Oda will tell a given percentage of his story within a given limit.

    Again, he first thought he was half done around 24. Even assuming that was near right, if you attempted to target volumes left from that figure One Piece would have ended around TB.

    Same thing even now.

    It's not 'wrong' or anything, but it's far more subject to random factors, namely Oda's ideas and work ethic.

  15. #8635

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    @vongola

    I thought Jedi stole your work, but you are 1 in the same

  16. #8636

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    As its being said, and regardless of your opinion, its important to take Oda's intentions as meaningful or serious.

    However, like Greg has mentioned with plenty of examples, the man has yet to truly land on his timescale promises, literally ever.


    Its an "ill believe it when I see it" type of thing. "I'll start the greatest war in OP after Wano". I'll believe it when I see it. I'd be more surprised of it starting (I mean Luffys participation) right after Wano, over buildup to it.

    Like we dont even know when or how Wano will end. We don't know what Arc follows this one. We don't know if that arc will be directly related to the final war or not. We frankly just don't know anything. The good news it its getting to a point where we will eventually know whats at least coming next, whenever Wano or this Act actually finishes

  17. #8637

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    If it's the third quarter of 2026 and the series isn't over, should I be disappointed in myself or Oda? It's really my fault for taking these comments that way. Oda isn't talking to me with these comments. It's for those with fatigue or the fan in the SBS having a panic attack. They need that comfort. Same if he ends in 2024. I just read the story and look at most of these comments as unnecessary

  18. #8638

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Funny that people are taking Oda’s timelines seriously. Have they ever been right? :)

    I think we’ll see a part 3. 30-year-old Luffy.

    I’m surprised that you didn’t mention the 花/鼻 pun, Greg! Or do you think it wasn’t intentional?

    EDIT:

    Greg, in your newest column you mentioned “Okay Robin. We’re waiting with bated breath. (Why do I get the feeling I’m going to cry when it hits?)”

    Tears of joy? Or...

    Also, I’d be curious to hear your thoughts on my observations in a prior post in the thread, given this quote from your column:

    “Although everyone looks fantastic, I’m most moved by Robin’s smile. There’s a sense of serenity and comfort there that *still* even after all these years, feels so well earned after the events of Enies Lobby.”

    Quote Originally Posted by gyuukarubi View Post
    A brief preview for the Nico Robin post.

    First, please rewatch this scene in the anime.

    Now reread the scene in the manga.

    How are they different from each other?

    Also, how do you interpret Nico Robin’s smile in the final panel? Did Toei meet the mark?

    “Nico”
    EDIT 2: Come to think of it, why is Robin smiling in the last panel of 989? She’s the only one.
    Last edited by gyuukarubi; September 17th, 2020 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added more thoughts.

  19. #8639

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    @vongola

    I thought Jedi stole your work, but you are 1 in the same
    lol indeed. I and me are one in the same.
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

    "ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

  20. #8640

    Default Re: Greg: Teacher of SUPER " OP " course !

    Surprised people are freaking out about the statement this much, i guess contrast between understanding it rationally but still fearing it might be true.

    If he still cares about the series as much as he did in the past, and there is nothing suggesting he does not, at least for me, 5 years is not possible.
    I see it as "want to finish in 5 years and finally enjoy retirement and leaving this hellish schedule" kind of thing, which can be understandable. I doubt many would still keep going at this point after earning that much money but still being tied to a weekly schedule at this age, even if it got a bit better with the breaks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts