+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Harvest Moon Inspired Game

Default My Harvest Moon Inspired Game

I don't know if I should post this in Video Games or Creativity board:

I'm creating a Harvest Moon inspired farm game. It already has a lot of stuff working and a playable demo for download.

Here's a video of the game being played in portuguese:

edit: Video removed because it's super outdated

for more, checkout: http://orangeseasongame.com
    Last edited by Hudell; April 1st, 2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: New link and description, Removed outdated video.

Default Re: My Harvest Moon Inspired Game

Well, I don't know if anybody here cares, but I put up a small demo of the game:

http://orangeseasongame.com
    Last edited by Hudell; April 1st, 2015 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Fixed link

The game has evolved a lot since my last post here, you can get it here: http://orangeseasongame.com/
    There's a lot of stuff done and some people seem to have over 10 hours of gameplay on it already. If anybody here likes the Harvest Moon series, it would mean a lot to me if you check my game out.

I haven't played HM in a while.
    I'll see if i can download it on saturday and give you some feedback.
    My windows laptop has been running into some problems and i only have my linux pc for now, but maybe i can do it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    I haven't played HM in a while.
    I'll see if i can download it on saturday and give you some feedback.
    My windows laptop has been running into some problems and i only have my linux pc for now, but maybe i can do it this weekend.
    I've never tested it on linux, but a friend told me a while ago that it worked fine through Wine.

The game is now on Steam Greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=501478635

If anybody wants to vote for it, it would be a great help.

Hunter X Hunter X Hunter JarmenKell's Avatar

Voted ages ago.

Oh wow, completely free? That's really nice.
    I might consider donating if I find the time to play it and like it. Can't give much feedback at the moment.

I will say that your art isn't as good as Bokujō Monogatari/Rune Factory is, but there's no way anyone expects it to be.

Also is there any reason the game attempts to get internet access?

Quote Originally Posted by JarmenKell View Post
    Voted ages ago.

Oh wow, completely free? That's really nice.
    I might consider donating if I find the time to play it and like it. Can't give much feedback at the moment.

I will say that your art isn't as good as Bokujō Monogatari/Rune Factory is, but there's no way anyone expects it to be.

Also is there any reason the game attempts to get internet access?
    It won't be free on steam, but it'll be cheap and I'll give plenty of free copies around.
    The art is not really mine, I bought a resource pack for it, I'm just making the game itself. If I ever make some money with it, I plan on hiring an artist to make me an exclusive art style.

And the demo downloads small fixes automatically when you open it, that's why it attempts to get internet access. (The fixes are all 1~2KB, so it will only take a second or two).

Hunter X Hunter X Hunter JarmenKell's Avatar

Played for about 15minutes:

Tips for any PC game:
    • Have an option to remove the autoupdate checker, it especially likes to take 20 secs or so when firewall'd. Also if you alt tab during "updating..." the game freezes on updating forever. For some specific reason the exe shows up as "RGSS3 player" in firewall and stuff.
    • Add rebindable controls
    • Add resize window

Stuff pertaining to your game specifically.
    • Make the items hotkeyable to 1-9, especially tools. This is a PC game not an emulator of a GBA.
    • Default controls are slightly weird in that "use item" is A, but "accept" is Z in menus
    • Make the weeds/small stones "pick up and throwable" like in Bokujō Monogatari. Having to use dedicated tools to clean them is annoying. You might want to keep hammer requirement for large stones
    • Tiles' visual representation is really lacking, it's very hard to tell which tile you are standing on because the stone/weed/etc and player character are all small. Often you think you're not blocked by the art you see, but you are. I recommend adding small distinct lines to the edge of farm tiles. You could consider changing to tile movement a la pokemon but that's probably a major mechanic rework so it's not worth it.
    • By the way, your character's feet/shadow stands at about 2/5ths of the tile from the bottom (when you are on that tile), not smack in the middle. This annoys me more than it should because my brain keeps instinctively moving towards the middle. If you are smack in the middle you are actually occupying both the tile above you and your current one.

Thanks for the tips, I already did some of those things and I'll try to include all the others on the next update, I just need to get rid of some bugs first :)

You can pick up the stones with Enter, Space or Z. The grass can't be picked because I didn't make an item for it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JarmenKell View Post
    Played for about 15minutes:

Tips for any PC game:
    • Have an option to remove the autoupdate checker, it especially likes to take 20 secs or so when firewall'd. Also if you alt tab during "updating..." the game freezes on updating forever. For some specific reason the exe shows up as "RGSS3 player" in firewall and stuff.
    • Add rebindable controls
    • Add resize window

Stuff pertaining to your game specifically.
    • Make the items hotkeyable to 1-9, especially tools. This is a PC game not an emulator of a GBA.
    • Default controls are slightly weird in that "use item" is A, but "accept" is Z in menus
    • Make the weeds/small stones "pick up and throwable" like in Bokujō Monogatari. Having to use dedicated tools to clean them is annoying. You might want to keep hammer requirement for large stones
    • Tiles' visual representation is really lacking, it's very hard to tell which tile you are standing on because the stone/weed/etc and player character are all small. Often you think you're not blocked by the art you see, but you are. I recommend adding small distinct lines to the edge of farm tiles. You could consider changing to tile movement a la pokemon but that's probably a major mechanic rework so it's not worth it.
    • By the way, your character's feet/shadow stands at about 2/5ths of the tile from the bottom (when you are on that tile), not smack in the middle. This annoys me more than it should because my brain keeps instinctively moving towards the middle. If you are smack in the middle you are actually occupying both the tile above you and your current one.
    I've updated the game, adding some of those things:
    * Items are hotkeyable now
    * There's a different button for each action (but most of the time you can just use Space and it'll try to guess what you want to do)
    * Window was already resizable on the previous version (and still is).
    * Improved the movement system (the character will try to walk around objects even if you're not running, but only if you hold the button)
    * You can also use WASD keys to move now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information