+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Piece Together Thread (Part Two)

of The One Piece Podcast Zach Logan's Avatar

Default The Piece Together Thread (Part Two)

It's been a few years since we've been at all active on Arlong Park, and I wanted to give it another shot!

For those who don't know, I am the host of The One Piece Podcast. Every week we talk about the latest manga chapter, anime episode, and then take questions/comments/theories from fans! We have frequent guests including...

Stephen Paul (translator for One Piece in Weekly Shonen Jump)
    Greg Werner (columnist for V-Jump and One-Piece.com)
    Bryan Newton (animation director for Rick and Morty and Teen Titans Go)
    Joey Weiser (author of the Eisner Award nominated series Mermin)
    Matt Cohen (podcaster for the SModCo Network)
    Josh Kocurek (FUNimation Brand Manager for One Piece, Dragon Ball Z, Space Dandy and others)

Each week on the show we'll have a "Piece Together" segment where we take your questions, comments or theories. So post some below, and we may answer them on the show!

New episodes are released every Monday night at http://OnePiecePodcast.com
    Host and Founder
    The One Piece Podcast

The views expressed are solely my own.

Default Re: The Piece Together Thread (Part Two)

I think that this information is the best.

Well I guess I'll try and kick things off here with a question. Since Oda has been doing requests for the cover pages of chapters recently what sort of situation would you guys request Oda draw as a cover?

I'd like to see a cover with Franky at a small Japanese festival preparing a ridiculously over the top firework pissing off all the local firework makers. I'm not 'Noda Skywalker' though so I know my request will never get chosen.

An One Piece Star Wars themed Colorspread would be neat.
    Or did Oda already done that?

Do you think Zoro is going to be the main focus during Wano Country, and possibly fight the big bad in Wano (with the exception that it isn't Kaido)?

I have been getting into the podcast recently since you guys actually try to dissect the story which is always welcome, especially when guests like Stephen or Greg are present + those two always provide background info.

What do you guys think is the most underrated Devil Fruit?

You are on a quest to become the Pirate Prince, and you decide your fate!

Theory supporting One Piece will go to space: Nami's dream is to draw a map of the world, but assuming the Straw Hats' journey will end when they reach Raftel, Nami will not have seen most of the Grand Line or the other "Blues" at that point. So how will Nami's dream come true? Either it will take decades to explore the world after Luffy becomes King of the Pirates, or the Straw Hats will need to end up somewhere she can easily view the entire planet.

I think seeing it from up above won´t provide her the info and quality she needs to do those incredibly detailed maps she normally does.
    I think her dream is one of those, that will be achieved years after the main story ended.
    Like when she is older and has travelled the whole GL a few times being known all over the world and being an expert many search for advice after she won´t be a pirate anymore.
    UnrevealedVegapunk/Ryokugyu/Loki/Rocks/Im-san
    IslandElbaf/Raftel/GodValley
    UnresolvedWeevil´s plan/Explaining DFs/Deal with Kuma-Bonney´s past/Joy-Boy/Zunisha´s story/Rocks flashback/Void Century/Rioponeglyph/Uranus/the D.clan
    DFWind/Metal/Wood/Acid/Liquid/Time-Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    It's been a few years since we've been at all active on Arlong Park, and I wanted to give it another shot!

Each week on the show we'll have a "Piece Together" segment where we take your questions, comments or theories. So post some below, and we may answer them on the show!

New episodes are released every Monday night at http://OnePiecePodcast.com
    Glad to have you guys back, let's try this, twitter frustrates me with the character limit and reddit.. is not for me.

Been running while hearing the podcast, it's been fun.

Do you think that sheephead is a smile user or a regular fruit user?

Did the tontatas keep on trying to get the dice to 1 to keep the crew safe?

Now that Kaidoh and Big Mom are revealed, only the 7th shichibukai and Green Bull are left to be revealed, why do you think that Oda took this aproach? Could they be more important to the plot or the world than the emperors themselves?
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Logan View Post
    Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Hi! Lately I've been collecting the various BGM/Movie OSTs of the series, as I LOVE One Piece's BGM! I apologize, this has likely been asked before, but since it's a no chapter week (assuming I sent this in time!), I thought it might be a good time to ask what you all's top favorite BGM tracks from the series might be?

Do you guys think Nami will show other weather attacks besides wind and lightning? I would like to see some rain, sleet or hail used in her arsenal or maybe some cloud-based weapons like the ones in Skypiea.

A translation question:

When they call the D the enemy of the gods and demons, do they use the same name for the devil fruits, "Akuma"?

We have a tree of Knowledge, a tree of Adam and a tree of Eve, and in the romance dawn pilots the reference to "the tree of devil fruits", forbiden fruits and legendary trees, what do you think of these?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I hope that the favorite music of the strawhats manages to get to an SBS, it would provide tons of insight to them and Oda himself.

This time I want to talk about zoan devil fruits and what we know about them.
    Why chopper human form, heavy point is so "inhuman"? Do the other " full transformation " forms look as alien to the native specie as chopper to us?
    I have a theory that the existence of fishman and varied merpeople, as in from different species of fish and mollusc, come from Oda and how he wanted to do human fish hybrids, but didn't made sense to give someone a sea related transformation and them forbidding them of swimming.
    Do you think that there exist sea creatures zoans beyond this point? I guess kaido's crew will give an answer.
    Maybe the creation of zoan fruits and the existence of the sea races are related. That whomever created the fruits studied them, or that the race is a byproduct of the experiments that created the devil fruits originally.
    I'm jumping the gun on devil fruits being artificial, another form of lost technology that vegapunk and Caesar are trying to revive.
    Finally, the only references of awakening of zoans are the 5 impel down guards and monster chopper, I think that the guards aren't the result of a person eating the chihuahua/koala/rhino/zebra/cow fruits, but the result of the Minotaur fruit user using his awakening in the respective animals in order to mutate them permanently. I would be dissapointed if we never see the rhino fruit user.

Loved the readthroug and the one piece connection article, I'm 10 volumes short of getting the full series in kindle format, I'll do my own reread once I get them, and the next volume comes out, as between them and viz shonen jump I'll have all chapters
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Let's talk about Logia:

After thinking about it a long time, I finaly realized why Pica and Trebol aren't Logia (from a story standpoint). If Pica was a Logia then his fight with Zoro would have ended quickly and bloodyly, as how Vergo put it, that expanding your body against a haki user as a logia is just a weakness, and how Trebol showed how to create an oppening with the asumptions that the oponent makes during the fight.

So: First observation: What distinction do you think that oda make to say "this is a logia"? I mean under the rules there should be an earth or stone logia, but he chose Pica to be the "stone asimilation man". There hasn't been a logia for a man made thing, but the "logia-lite" paramecia have some nature link, wax is an animal fat byproduct (I think), soap as well, poisons are common in nature, as well as sticky substances with flamable properties, and while both light and darkness are logia, shadow is just a paramecia.

My personal guess is for pre-timeskip enemies was to not to make them too strong for the crew to beat, while the post timeskip the contrary, to not make them too easy to defeat. Funny how that works.

2th Observations: Weird Logias (other than the darkness fruit):

Caribou's swamp that can absorb things, and store them without affecting his shape (and weight?).
    Caesar's gas fruit that gives him control over.. All gases? That's unconfortably general for a fruit, I mean can we expect a solid and liquid fruit? My hope is that he just absorb gases (like propane for the flame sword, helium for the baloon, and whatever poison used against luffy) to use in the future, just like he absorbed the gas weapon during the final part of the fight with Luffy, rather than being keept in check by just his own weakness, rather than strenghtened by his cunning.

I feel like I'm being too nitpicky about this, but I don't like devil fruits with too broad or too unconnected powers, main culprits being the Love fruit, the OP fruit, the Hobby fruit and the Paw Fruit. With the shadow fruit, the ghost fruit, and the two mentioned weird logias being a second tier.

3rd and final question: the Hypotethical Water Logia, if it were to exist would it be the only devil fruit that bypasses the water weakness or the weakest devil fruit because whenever it's used it exhaust it's user?
    Last edited by maxterdexter; September 21st, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Since the Grand Fleet might go their separate ways for the time being, do you think that some of the more popular characters like Bartolomeo and Cavendish will tag along for a little bit longer?

Also, I have a feeling that the Happosai Navy will make an appearance during the Wano arc. If Wano is a representation of Japan and Kano is China, then there might be some correlation between the two countries. What do you guys think?

I'll be posting this on reddit as well, so please lend me a little of your time.

Ships:

Aha! Luffy figurehead, but I never in my wildest dreams tought of a Chopper rudder.

Devil fruits:

Starting with chopper and how "inhuman" he looks in his human form. Maybe the fully transformed form of a zoan looks as alien as chopper to us to the native species. Pierre would never pass as a horse to another horse or Kaku as a Giraffe to another giraffe.

In the meta sense, do you think that Oda decided to create fishmen and mermen for the explicit purpose of having human/sea creatures hybrids, to avoid having sea creatures zoans?

Crocodile said that the impel down gaolers were "awakened", but we know very little about it, and it differs from what a paramecia can do (turn the enviroment to it's powers) and a zoan seem to be able to do (lose identity, and transformations), my theory is that the Minos aren't awakened zoan users of the respective animals, but inocent Bull/Koala/Zebra/Rhino/Chihuahua that were recipients of the awakening of the mythical zoan minotaur fruit user.

In the same line of tought, we have been told that the Pacifista laser was derived from Kizaru's fruit, and I always tought that it was just a product of analysis and replication of the process, but now that we have awakening, could it be that Kizaru "awakened" a component of the beam and that's what they are using?

The way that Oda divides logias is weird, for stone and shadow aren't, but weird infinite swamps and the concept of "gas" are. But in a meta sense is perfectly sound, as he didn't put a enemy beyond the crew's abilities, except the admirals, before armament haki was introduced, and now we have trebol and pica, if they were logia then trebol would have been defeated like a chapter earlier, while Pica would have been beaten inmediatly and blodily.

Final Question/observation: hypotetical water logia: weakest as it's always in contact with water during use, or strongest because it's inmune to the water weakness?

Sorry for the many questions.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Early Piece Together here!

So we all know about the recurring joke in the series where Usopp's lies eventually end up becoming the truth. Now with Usopp's brand new 200 million beri bounty, it made me wonder if this is also one of Usopp's lies coming true? I don't really remember all of the details of the series, but I know you all have just gone through a readthrough so you might have a better idea. "I have a 200 million beri bounty on my head!" just sounds too much like a lie that Usopp would have said in the past!

While the podcast is on high mode on these between arcs and start of the next chapter, they are kind of overbooked, I would suggest taking the question to reddit.

And I'm pretty certain that Usopp never lied about his bountie, it was always about deeds or followers. The crew rarely discusses bounties,the only moment that if happened, it would come up was during the knock up stream moment.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information