+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 158 FirstFirst ... 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 3141

Thread: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part II: Do the Dio Walk!

Default Re: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part II: Do the Dio Walk!

So I finally gave in and continued with the manga (Giorno GioGio).

I guess it's been a while for you long time readers, but how was that season received back then?

Hard to say back then. Part 5 started off with horrible scans back then, so not well. Plus, Giorno's not exactly the most interesting Gioey Giogio either, but his crew more or less carry the part

It's a Japanese favorite though

The perception of the English-speaking fanbase is a bit negative due to bad scans, but I think it is a really strong part. It has some of my favourite fights in the series (Aerosmith, Beach Boy and Grateful Dead, White Album, Metallica) and the main crew is really fun. It is one of the most popular parts in Japan, I remember its characters being cheered on the most back when ASB came out.

It's weird since Part 4 still had a good fanbase here and its scans were strictly Duwang until pretty recently.

Part 5 was always looked down on somewhat for being more like Part 3, but with a worse protag. The better quality scans have helped to bring out the best in its fights (which are pretty much the thing people like post about part 5), and helped clarify some of the more confusing moments, but I think a lot of the western reaction back then wasn't too far off from what it is now.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

those old Part 5 scans having shitty translation doesn't mean Giorno wasn't always bland.
    If anything, the newer, more accurate translations have elevated other members of the cast while revealing Giorno to really be that bad

I still get a kick out of part 5, but the scan/old translation argument doesn't hold water for GioGio

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Glad it's not just me who thought part 5 was lacking. I was afraid that I just ruined the experience by reading the manga (instead of waiting for the really good anime). But yeah, it has really high up and downs and some of the gang members were saving it all.

Spoiler:
    What saddens me the most is that the Dio bloodline thing had no relevance at all. Totally pointless reveal, unless it's setup for future seasons. Which may very well be the case, but for now it still feels like a massive waste.

Anyway, now that I powered through part 5 I can finally start with female Jojo, who is already 20 times more interesting than the last 2 Jojos. Also women's prison always works!
    Last edited by Jabra; September 23rd, 2018 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Spoiler:
    What saddens me the most is that the Dio bloodline thing had no relevance at all. Totally pointless reveal, unless it's setup for future seasons. Which may very well be the case, but for now it still feels like a massive waste.
    Nope, no major relevance at all! It's basically just a way to introduce/explain his more brutal moments, because a life on the streets could do that for everyone else in the gang but not him, I guess.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

The old Part 5 scans are a special kind of magic; where Duwang got the story across accurately but with awful grammar and spelling, the Part 5 scans had good spelling but atrocious actual translation.

Best moment: When the Passione Pose reaches Venice, the old scans call it Vienna and proceed to label the map of Venice with places that are in or near Vienna.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    The old Part 5 scans are a special kind of magic; where Duwang got the story across accurately but with awful grammar and spelling, the Part 5 scans had good spelling but atrocious actual translation.

Best moment: When the Passione Pose reaches Venice, the old scans call it Vienna and proceed to label the map of Venice with places that are in or near Vienna.
    I know there are a lot of baffling changes like that, but how many of them actually altered the core reading experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Apparently Crunchyroll will gift a sub to the person who can correctly guess the ending theme of Vento Aureo. Probably not gonna get it this week, but oh well: I just hope it is in the spirit of the late 90s/early 00s.

My hopes for Prince are low for obvious reasons, but I would be fine with any pop song really. Backstreet Boys, Mr President, Eros Ramazotti, Coolio, you name it. King Crimson would be awesome, but so far the ending theme was always chosen from the era in which the respective part played in.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBits View Post
    I know there are a lot of baffling changes like that, but how many of them actually altered the core reading experience?
    Enough to require a reread once actual scans were available, at least. I remember parts of the train fight and especially the final confrontation being really hard to follow.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

Mambo Italiano I hope lol. Not super current I just like that song a lot.

What time does Golden Wind actually airs in Japan? I know it's airing today (according to my timezone) but I can't make sense of the timeslot from the promo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    So we're going down this rabbit hole again.

Around 1AM in Japan on Saturday (technically Sunday).

Did I watch the episode at work?

Yes, yes I did.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Jojo Friday's are back. Best after birthday present ever.

I'm conflicted on how it looks. It generally looks pretty good but, similarly with all the other parts, the coloring looks weird to me. The shadows on people's faces for instance look too dark or something. Everything contrasts too much.

Spoiler:
    I kind of wish they removed some stuff that's retconned later, like Giorno's power to reflect attacks that hit animals/plants that he makes. I imagine they're going to keep the time slow that affects Bruno in the next episode too. I usually advocate for really close adaptations but stuff like that that never shows up again should be changed as it just introduces confusion for the people watching the series that haven't read the manga.

First impression of Golden wind episode 1:

Truth to be told, I'm a bit more interested in the initial premise compared to part 4. That may change as time goes on.
    Giorno is ok, I guess?
    Bruno is the one that stood out more compared to him. He is a brutal guy.
    Koichi has some serious facial surgery.
    Regarding Giorno lineage
    Spoiler:
    They say he is Dio's son but technically he's Jonathan son because it was his body that Dio took. Heck, he has the Joestar birthmark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    So we're going down this rabbit hole again.

Why do they call GioGio's ability Golden Wind and not Gold Experience? Too afraid of possible legal consequences?

I mean "The Gold Experience" is a famous album, but... the stand names in season 4 weren't changed either?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Why do they call GioGio's ability Golden Wind and not Gold Experience? Too afraid of possible legal consequences?

I mean "The Gold Experience" is a famous album, but... the stand names in season 4 weren't changed either?
    Prince's estate is nearly as cutthroat as the Hendrix estate

also shining diamond, reverb, worse company, deadly queen, etc etc

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Problems over Gold Experience's name is also why the PS2 Part 5 game never made it overseas.

Presumably Prince's estate is less "go fuck yourself" about things than the man himself considering you can now find his music on Youtube, but better safe than sorry.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information