Closed Thread
Page 413 of 505 FirstFirst ... 313 363 403 411 412 413 414 415 423 463 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,260 of 10084

Thread: My Hero Academia - Gomu Gomu no Gentle Fist

Default Re: My Hero Academia - Red Diamond is Crash

Boku no Hero School is the one true answer

Watashi wa hiiro akademi desu.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Boku no Pico Academia should be chaotic evil automatically lol.

According to this chart, I am chaotic evil

as expected

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...zbg0chfuuq.jpg

...Except any iteration by English speakers using the boku/B is silly because even the Japanese volumes have "My Hero Academia" plastered at the top.
    FIGHT ME ABOUT IT or don't. Whatever.
    I remember the fan scalations that keep insisting using the name "Rabuyan" despite the fact Loveyan was written in English on the very tankoubon, not to mention she's a cupid of love.

Since it'S related to the current conversation, I saw this a few days ago and thought it was funny: https://twitter.com/WeebSimpsons/sta...23030693105665

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

As a rule I try to use any official English title where there is one. Anyone will know when I'm talking about and, much of the time it's just easier to remember. To use an extreme example, what sticks in the memory more: "Danjon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darō ka?" or "Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" Or, more recently and one piece centric, "Inuarashi" or "Dogstorm"

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Translation's a complex thing and everyone's got opinions on it, but I think that name translations generally sort into two categories: titles and proper nouns. By my definitions, titles are phrases, while proper nouns name people or places. Titles should be translated, since their intent is normally to say what they're saying, and not just to sound cool. Names, on the other hand, can hold meaning, but I think the sound of the name is more important for the most part. My name is Gabriel, which translates from Hebrew to "Strength of God," but that sounds dumb. Plus it ruins my satanic image. My Hero Academia is a phrase (and half of it was already basically english, anyways), so the translation fits. Something like Inuarashi, in my mind, should stay as Inuarashi, since I feel like "Dogstorm" kinda betrays the intent a little.

Of course there are exceptions to this. There are some phrases originally written in a foreign language where the intent is to make the meaning obscure or give it a particular sound, so translating that would be weird. Also with names in languages with different alphabets and sounds need to take care about phonetic translations, especially when there's loan words in play. Like Aohige's example of Loveyan, where Rabuyan is definitely not the intent, or with Enel getting translated to Eneru, where that 'ru' is definitely a translation artifact that should be replaced by 'l'.

Those are my dumb opinions on translation that nobody asked for, in case you wanted them.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Macademia is perfect.

It's often occurred to me that comedy in general and wordplay in particular has to be the hardest thing to translate. You run into the problem of why the chicken crossed the road (to get to the other side) vs why the chicken crossed the playground (to get to the other slide).

Crossing the road can be told as is in just any any language and it'll remain the same joke. The playground only works if the words for side and slide are similar in a given language.

In the latter case you have to make a change to accommodate the intended pun (playing off the word side).

On a side note: Why "Enel"? I remember when Stephen still did fan translations and he used "Ener" in the belief the word was a play on "energy", but I don't recall ever learning how people got "Enel" beyond "ru" being a Japanese version of it in many foreign words.

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

There's the Enel electrical power company and the Greek word(?) enelysios, which means 'person struck by lightning'. Both of those are more likely a total coincidence though. Hard to say. Enelysios is tied to Zeus I think; I don't remember so I just did a quick search on the word and found nothing except pointers back to that meaning above, so I'm pretty sure it is a word blend (en, in; elysios, a place where people died by getting zapped by Zeus?). All that to say Oda could have been looking up stuff related to Zeus and come across the word and took a part of it for the name? (Unlikely, but I like etymology so I felt like taking a 5-minute break at work)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Macademia is perfect.
    It sounds like the name of some Wrestling Fed.

Boku no Hero Academia 154 spoiler translation http://www.bakadata.com/manga-spoile...ia-154-spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by brennen.exe View Post
    There's the Enel electrical power company and the Greek word(?) enelysios, which means 'person struck by lightning'. Both of those are more likely a total coincidence though. Hard to say. Enelysios is tied to Zeus I think; I don't remember so I just did a quick search on the word and found nothing except pointers back to that meaning above, so I'm pretty sure it is a word blend (en, in; elysios, a place where people died by getting zapped by Zeus?). All that to say Oda could have been looking up stuff related to Zeus and come across the word and took a part of it for the name? (Unlikely, but I like etymology so I felt like taking a 5-minute break at work)
    Enel is an abbreviation for National Board for Electricity written in italian. I doubt the similarity to greek origin word is an accident. After all, Oda named Enel's attacks after thunder gods from religions all over the world. He even named one of the priests Ohm, which is the unit for electrical resistance. Must have done an extensive research on the matter, like he always does.

I also read somehwere that in hebrew En El means "there is no god", or something like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

I just always figured Ohm came from a monk mediation chant (or at least stereotypes of one)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Waldorf:

Knowing oda, its both.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    It's often occurred to me that comedy in general and wordplay in particular has to be the hardest thing to translate. You run into the problem of why the chicken crossed the road (to get to the other side) vs why the chicken crossed the playground (to get to the other slide).

Crossing the road can be told as is in just any any language and it'll remain the same joke. The playground only works if the words for side and slide are similar in a given language.

In the latter case you have to make a change to accommodate the intended pun (playing off the word side).

On a side note: Why "Enel"? I remember when Stephen still did fan translations and he used "Ener" in the belief the word was a play on "energy", but I don't recall ever learning how people got "Enel" beyond "ru" being a Japanese version of it in many foreign words.
    Enel (エネル), in Japanese, is literally just the first three letters of the word Energy (エネルギー) in Japanese.

anyone know if there's a chapter this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Enel (エネル), in Japanese, is literally just the first three letters of the word Energy (エネルギー) in Japanese.
    Soi, in that context, Ener/Eneru is the more accurate translation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Waldorf:

Closed Thread

Thread Information