+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ben's Animated Avatars

Default Re: Ben's Animated Avatars

I've been really annoyed with how GIMP (and apparently most other modern image manipulation programs) don't have the ability to use modern pixel scaling algorithms like hqnx and xbr. Luckily, I just found a really simple tool made by the MAME guys that will do exactly this.

Check out this wiki article if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_a...ing_algorithms

Let's see if I can't update some of the ones that I've already done with a proper pixel scaling algorithm. Sadly, the MAME tool will only do one image at a time, but most of my AVs don't have that many frames to begin with so it shouldn't be too hard...

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

That was a lot easier than expected, and I am really happy with the results! I'll probably update all of the AVs that look really pixellated eventually.

Crono's been depixellated! I should probably get some sleep.

the answer is vintage meme zachri's Avatar

Your avatar is so trippy...
    I-IS THIS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE ON ACID?

#SWAGLETON

Good question; I don't rightly know.

I'm looking at you, CT game designers! We're beginning to suspect that that definitely wasn't just the smell of burning incense and unwashed hair coming from your studio each day.

Yes, I have given Rainbow Dash a break, given many things: my new star, a new month is coming up, school's starting again, and MLP is in the off-season right now.

I am still curious to see what you eventually make, though! I'm not 100% committed to my current one, mainly because of the size....wish it was a little bigger.
    Hidden:
    is the original picture.

Just didn't want you to get the wrong idea, benjamin. ^^;

Hey, no worries, Meta!

I hope I don't give the impression that I'm easily hurt.

You'll be pleased, I think, with what I'm putting together (haven't quite finished Waluigi, yet). But, even if you think it's the best thing since sliced bread, I would never try to force you to use it, either.

Really, making these is just fun for me, so I'm doing it more for myself than anyone else. If you want to make use of my results, then go for it, but please don't feel obligated or anything. Thanks for letting me know, anyway!

I can also try editing that one for you! Bigger, you say? I'll see what I can do.

All good to hear! A bigger ava would be super, actually.

Marle and Lucca have been depixelated as well. I think that I'll try to finish up those Waluigi lines, now.

Decided to take another stab at the lines, since I'm not really satisfied with my first attempt. Here's what I've got so far:

Coming along! Should be done later tonight when I get a chance to sit down again.

Welp, I think that the Waluigi portrait is more or less done. I'll see if I can put together a GIF with those originals included. It'd be fun to see if I can make Wario and Daisy ones as well.

Here's a version that's usable as an AV!

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    All good to hear! A bigger ava would be super, actually.
    So... I tried scaling your AV a little. My goal was to scale the foreground more than the background while scaling up as much as possible, but the final result is not as different from the original as I wanted. The original is 500x358 pixels, and what I've done is 500x450 (I was trying for 500x500, but blending the backgrounds became a little difficult at that size).

Hidden:

If you want, I can just clip the sides of your AV off so that it is more square. It'll look much bigger on the forums that way.

Or I could clip more of the sides off of this scaled one.

Let me know what you think!

Here's what they'll look like back-to-back when they get scaled by the forum to a width of 150 pixels.

Original

Edit
    Last edited by benjamminbrown; September 1st, 2014 at 02:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    Welp, I think that the Waluigi portrait is more or less done. I'll see if I can put together a GIF with those originals included. It'd be fun to see if I can make Wario and Daisy ones as well.
    Ooh, that'd be something. Waluigi came out great!

So... I tried scaling your AV a little. My goal was to scale the foreground more than the background while scaling up as much as possible, but the final result is not as different from the original as I wanted. The original is 500x358 pixels, and what I've done is 500x450 (I was trying for 500x500, but blending the backgrounds became a little difficult at that size)

If you want, I can just clip the sides of your AV off so that it is more square. It'll look much bigger on the forums that way.

Or I could clip more of the sides off of this scaled one.

Let me know what you think!
    The new size is perfect! Just a little bigger, all I wanted. Thanks again, man!

Ooh, that'd be something. Waluigi came out great!
    Thanks!

Actually, I already updated the first post with the GIF, but it's only partly done. Luigi and Rosalina are going to need a little work before I can add them, but they'll probably be in within the next few days.

I also want to lighten up Waluigi's purple a bit so that it's bright like the other colors.

The new size is perfect! Just a little bigger, all I wanted. Thanks again, man!
    Glad I could help! Enjoy :)

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    Thanks!

Actually, I already updated the first post with the GIF, but it's only partly done. Luigi and Rosalina are going to need a little work before I can add them, but they'll probably be in within the next few days.

What I really like is every Mario all-star having their own color. At the end, it'll be a rainbow cycle of Nintendo's finest~

That All-Stars-style Waluigi came out great, Ben! I'm definitely adding that to my collection and might use it as an avatar soon (even though Meta was the one that requested it ). Keep up the great work...

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_Mugen View Post
    That All-Stars-style Waluigi came out great, Ben! I'm definitely adding that to my collection and might use it as an avatar soon (even though Meta was the one that requested it ). Keep up the great work...
    If you want, you can use it. Cool with me. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_Mugen View Post
    Help yourself! I put it on the first post because it seemed like Meta was letting it go up for grabs.

If you want still versions of that cycling AV, then just let me know, I can easily cut out individual portraits.

Thanks for the encouragement, I really appreciate it!

Did Mario used to look more pixely? Or is that just my imagination?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Did Mario used to look more pixely? Or is that just my imagination?
    He was definitely more pixelated before. I've been updating my old AVs using the xBRZ pixel scaling algorithm where appropriate. Only three of the CT ones have actually been updated, the rest are still pixely.

If you like the pixel look better, then I can put copies of each version in the first post. Trouble with using those algorithms is that they do make the image slightly more detailed, so I sometimes have to reduce the number of colors in the image just to get it to fit in the file size limit.

I was gonna say I liked the nostalgia feeling of the pixel version better, but... seeing them side by side its hard to say.

Smooth is probably better on that one.

They're also totalyl desynche don mine so it looks like they're alternating goign up and down, which is neat.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information