+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Thread: Digimon Adventure Try Again Later, or perhaps not

Default Re: Digimon Adventure Try Again Later, or perhaps not

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I didn't watch Tri (or Xros Wars). Why was it bad?
    simply put, it tries much much too hard to be a "darker and more mature" series with the Adventure cast and ultimately comes out of it as just a bunch of poorly written, poorly paced movies with so little actual substance that it becomes a wonder how they kept making them after the increasingly vitriolic reactions to each new one.

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

How long was the original season compared to the 4th one, the one with the fusions?

Like I was thinking about how the original cast of eight plus their eighth digimons were well developed, and these 6 losers with just two or three digimons that were just more characters, so total 9, were painfully underdeveloped. Even if that particular iteration of the digital world was my favorite, they did almost nothing with it, and with less characters they developed even less than usual.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Hey! You know what everyone loves? Reboots!

So they are going to reboot the original season? Nice, would love to see them adding more characteristics, more villains and better story.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    I didn't watch Tri (or Xros Wars). Why was it bad?
    Tri was sad and depressing and joyless and focused entirely on a Mary Sue, with the entire cast hating their lives and each other. Badly paced and poorly thought out.

If the first movie had been "life after they grew up wasn't what they expected" and a little down, then perked back up when the Digimon came back, that'd be one thing. But it was just bitter bad dark-fanfic the whole time that made everyone miserable for the sake of it

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    How long was the original season compared to the 4th one, the one with the fusions?

Like I was thinking about how the original cast of eight plus their eighth digimons were well developed, and these 6 losers with just two or three digimons that were just more characters, so total 9, were painfully underdeveloped. Even if that particular iteration of the digital world was my favorite, they did almost nothing with it, and with less characters they developed even less than usual.
    All the series were 48-54 episodes, except the Xros one which was 80.

Notably though Adventure and 02 combined got 104 episodes, so even if people didn't care for their second season, that was still a lot more time with the characters.

My favorite is still easily Tamers though.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I find season 1 to have more charm then season 2. Season 2 has a troubled production with two main writers clashing on each other. One writer was into making the stories upbeat and lighthearted while the other one prefers dark and depressing character driven stories hence why season 2 suffers a mood swing combine with inconsistencies and plot holes.
    Head writer of season 1 Satoru Nishizono never wanted a sequel to Adventure and left the project. Eventually season 2 just shoved the original cast save for Takeru and Hikiri and introduce more stereotypical cast and bunch of whiney villains with a tragic background and how they handled Oikawa very badly. The season as the result ends up being a commerical rather then a story with a good heart to it and a very stupid ending.
    I tried to watch Tri but it looks like it suffers what season 2 suffers and has no joy from season 1. Tried to watch but no new episodes came on yet.

By the last episodes of season 2, they drawings was so bad, it's like Toei doesn't care and just want to hurry up and move on to another lackluster series known as Tamersn
    Currently writing a book

Tri was dreary AF. And I actually missed how unique each of the kids looked even though they were wonky. I don't think there was a point at all I actually enjoyed. I know I finished Tri but I don't recall what the solution actually was.

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    I find season 1 to have more charm then season 2. Season 2 has a troubled production with two main writers clashing on each other. One writer was into making the stories upbeat and lighthearted while the other one prefers dark and depressing character driven stories hence why season 2 suffers a mood swing combine with inconsistencies and plot holes.
    Head writer of season 1 Satoru Nishizono never wanted a sequel to Adventure and left the project. Eventually season 2 just shoved the original cast save for Takeru and Hikiri and introduce more stereotypical cast and bunch of whiney villains with a tragic background and how they handled Oikawa very badly. The season as the result ends up being a commerical rather then a story with a good heart to it and a very stupid ending.
    I tried to watch Tri but it looks like it suffers what season 2 suffers and has no joy from season 1. Tried to watch but no new episodes came on yet.

By the last episodes of season 2, they drawings was so bad, it's like Toei doesn't care and just want to hurry up and move on to another lackluster series known as Tamersn
    I take this to mean you dont like Tamers? Why is that? I'm not condemning you. I really want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I take this to mean you dont like Tamers? Why is that? I'm not condemning you. I really want to know.
    Well I tried to watch it but it just did not grab my attention so far, at first it looks like it's going to be promising but it would drag on, gets a little boring and then it just did not have the same charm season 1 has.
    The concept looks interesting but as a whole it was meh.
    Currently writing a book

Tamers is the best one though.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I actually really liked the 4th season. I liked the idea of them doing a fusion with the digimon.

Well I tried to watch it but it just did not grab my attention so far, at first it looks like it's going to be promising but it would drag on, gets a little boring and then it just did not have the same charm season 1 has.
    The concept looks interesting but as a whole it was meh.
    Tamers does suffer from a very slow start... It kinda ramps up a bit when the Devas get introduced (like, episode 12 or 13 I think?) and by the time they go to the Digital World like ten episodes later it's genuinely compelling stuff and the final arc is Darker and Edgier done right... But I can't deny that all of that good stuff requires one to go through a whole bunch of pretty meh stuff to get to.

A dog exists somewhere David Ludwig's Avatar

I usually like slow pacing, so this is actually making Tamers sound pretty fun to try out funnily enough.

NNID: Glitz-and-Glory

I remember loving Tamers back in the day, but I doubt I would enjoy it now. In my mind when I recall it I instantly get this feeling of "trying too hard to be dark and edgy", something that didn't bothered me so much at the time but would probably annoy me to no end now... so I just leave it there, on the nostalgia zone where I can still enjoy it from afar.

That said, I doubt I would enjoy any season if I was to rewatch it now. Tried it with 01 and was too bored to finish the first episode.

Applimon and Xros Wars were both way better than Tri.

I'm very concerned that Digimon will become a purely nostalgia-based franchise and fall into decline like Sonic and Pokemon have.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Applimon and Xros Wars were both way better than Tri.

I'm very concerned that Digimon will become a purely nostalgia-based franchise and fall into decline like Sonic and Pokemon have.
    I believe it already gotten to that point by now.
    Currently writing a book

Adventure has all the charm and fun, 02 has plenty of fun but struggles with a bit of a mess, Tamers is a slow start to greatness (they really tried to force that card gimmick early on...), Frontier is a great start that trips up in the 3rd act, and Data squad is a weaker tamers with too small a cast. That's all I've watched though.

A reboot of Adventure fills me with a lot of conflicted feelings. My nostalgia for adventure still hasn't dimmed after all these years and give it a rewatch usually once a year. I'd love to see them again with an altered story. Of course, I'm also incredibly skeptical that they'll be able to recapture the charm the original had after all these years... especially in the dub world. I've never given subbed digimon a try, and I still haven't watched any of Xros Wars or Tri for their dub qualities. I can assume this would probably get picked up by disney for their anime block and the quality of those these days has sure been.....mixed. You could lose a lot of the charm if it's phoned in with a basic translation script and a lot of their new stiff and crappy voice direction.

The hope and the worry over it make me kinda want to just not think about it anymore until it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcotty View Post
    Adventure has all the charm and fun, 02 has plenty of fun but struggles with a bit of a mess, Tamers is a slow start to greatness (they really tried to force that card gimmick early on...), Frontier is a great start that trips up in the 3rd act, and Data squad is a weaker tamers with too small a cast. That's all I've watched though.

A reboot of Adventure fills me with a lot of conflicted feelings. My nostalgia for adventure still hasn't dimmed after all these years and give it a rewatch usually once a year. I'd love to see them again with an altered story. Of course, I'm also incredibly skeptical that they'll be able to recapture the charm the original had after all these years... especially in the dub world. I've never given subbed digimon a try, and I still haven't watched any of Xros Wars or Tri for their dub qualities. I can assume this would probably get picked up by disney for their anime block and the quality of those these days has sure been.....mixed. You could lose a lot of the charm if it's phoned in with a basic translation script and a lot of their new stiff and crappy voice direction.

The hope and the worry over it make me kinda want to just not think about it anymore until it's out.
    I don't really believe it's possible to improve on Adventure any more. Sure, you could make a lot of minor improvements on paper, but nostalgia will always elevate the original over almost any remake.
    It's still seen as the best isekai by a lot of people.

I think we all know the best Isekai is Wizard of Oz.

That's not how you spell "Alice in Wonderland."

Both y'all need to go back to English class and learn how to spell The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information