+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 664

Thread: Chapter 753 War

  1. #121
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    The officers have barely done anything, action wise. Why are we complaining about Oda trying to change that? Dellinger got some exposition to both his personality (half amused kid, half psycho) and his fighting style. He took down two guys in a single chapter.
    Gladius got to show another use of his powers (setting mines). We saw the officers are clearly above the lower tiered Colosseum fighters, and we'll see how the stronger ones fare (Ideo, Sai, Gilly).[/QUOTE]

    Because the fact that they are in group battle, and not getting one on one fights should be a clear indication to you that Oda intends to skip a lot including them.

    He has off-screened fights that might be considered even more important, why not that one?

    Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    We got some good stuff from Dagama. Nice design, lives up to his strategist epithet, gets some heroic bloodshed moment; if you enjoy these characters, moments like this are expected to be good. I would've killed for Bastille or any other third or fourth tiered marine to get a good moment that takes very little time from the actual narration. Something we might agree was lacking these last weeks.
    I agree that little character moment for Dagama was nice. So was Dellinger.

    Doesn't change the fact that they were both pretty pointless arc-wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    That's just wrong. Oda cares a ton about these characters, just like Brownbeard, and they provide an emotional core to the arcs by being tied on a more passionate level to the big bads, and working as victims. It's been like this for quite some time. So, no, these are not unimportant characters to Oda's eyes, like it or not.
    If the emotional core of this arc are coloseum fighters, then I'm afraid I completly missed the point.

    Especially since most of them are horrible, or stupid people, and I do not feel bad for them at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Oh, and no, non of these characters is as irrelevant as Bastille. Just a single look at how Oda seems to enjoy every second he draws someone from the Colosseum (except Suleiman. He hates him) and how boringly he portrayed Bastille, who just stood there, recited some by-the-book lines, some exposition lines, and just did the must unoriginal, run of the mill sword swing at Sabo, should make it all painfully obvious on who he considers relevant.
    Three main ones, yeah, probably. The others, however? I'm not as sure as you are about it.

  2. #122

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War


    Next chapter I want Boo and Orlumbus to go down.

  3. #123
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    And dangers of Birdcage got undermined... again.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Oh, that is pretty cool. Kudos.

    Dellinger, the human dart. Fun times.

  4. #124
    Discovered Stowaway Farsighted Annie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Barbaric Archipelago

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Okay, I enjoyed the Tontta Dwarfs getting involve and sending the message to their comrades about being lied and tricked . That's a plotline that's moving closer to a resolution. I'm glad that the executive officers are kicking the asses of the coliseum fighters instead of the other way around.
    I still, have no idea what I'm doing

  5. #125
    Bionic Boi krule274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Who is that carpenter?!

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Okay, what would have changed if we just got that double spread, instead of every little exchange, considering that the whole thing is probably gonna get off-screened? Or at least mostly off-screned?

    And Bellamy is almost certainly un-important. The most we are going to get out of him, is him slowly bleeding to death, considering who he is talking to.
    The most? Exactly, the most. Luffy's already going to the palace to kick Doffy's ass back into the Void Century, if he gets up there to see him murdering Bellamy, he's gonna go absolutely ape shit. How is that at all unimportant?
    Praise our king, First fist of the Sea, DonMarimo DoBuggino exploring Bonesbeard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If someone seriously claimed that Whitebeard was running a vibrator business as his second job you'd ignore him as a troll.
    3DS FC: 2406-5148-3376

  6. #126
    Discovered Stowaway Light Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Hello new sig!
    16 'n stuff

  7. #127

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Just gonna say that I really enjoyed the chapter! I don't mind, in the least, that we've been "running" for a good amount of chapters, the content has been fun and interesting, and STILL moving the story along (albeit a tad slowly) while giving some spotlight to the other characters (towns people, Tontatta, SH crew, Executive Officers and Coliseum fighters). Maybe Oda's making this "running" last so long so the anime can have a giant pool of expanded and implied filler or something...so I kinda fear for the manga-readers that are HATING this...'cause the anime is probably gonna have a field day w/ all this running and "fodder" fights. I, for one, am enjoying the ride. ^^
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

    Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

  8. #128

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    So, no more running for Collesuem fighters - they all gotta fight together against the DD family executives while Luffy & co go on ahead

    Farul Vs Bellamy
    Cavendish Vs Trebol
    Kyros Vs Diamante
    Luffy Vs DoFlamingo
    Franky Vs Senior Pink
    Zoro Vs Pica

    gonna be some good matches. Bellamy will just listen to Luffy talk about dreams n stuff and convert to Luffys side. or maybe he'll save Luffy from DD's clone

    Can't wait.
    One Piece ,\/,,

  9. #129

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/708304dellinger.gif
    Next chapter I want Boo and Orlumbus to go down.
    My eyes hurt ...

  10. #130

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by krule274 View Post
    The most? Exactly, the most. Luffy's already going to the palace to kick Doffy's ass back into the Void Century, if he gets up there to see him murdering Bellamy, he's gonna go absolutely ape shit. How is that at all unimportant?
    I think Doffy will have Bellamy fight against Ape D. Luffy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    Hello new sig!
    16 'n stuff
    LoL, glad you like it. But your last sig remains the best. It never gets old.

  11. #131
    Discovered Stowaway Vasco Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New World

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post

    Doubt it. Don Chinjao, maybe. Sai, Hajrudin and Ideo have already been shown as being leaps and bounds BELOW Chinjao. And Elizabello only has the punch, if he can't throw it, he's done for.
    I would disagree :P
    Ideo and Sai both got blindsided and were still conscious out of the ring. It's evident how Sai/Ideo/Blue Gilly were the only ones not getting raped this chapter as they're the strongest.

  12. #132
    Discovered Stowaway ksplinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Russia, Moscow

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Damn, Dellinger is scary. I like it.
    The only thing i dont get, is what hell is going on the last page? That Cavendish attack i can't comprehend.

  13. #133

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Because the fact that they are in group battle, and not getting one on one fights should be a clear indication to you that Oda intends to skip a lot including them.

    He has off-screened fights that might be considered even more important, why not that one?
    He still gets to show the strength of the officers. We have yet to see how strong Machvise, Lao G and Baby 5 (by herself against human opponents) are. If this serves as a proper way to showcase the officers' abilities, then why not?

    Dellinger alone has taken down 2 gladiators.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    I agree that little character moment for Dagama was nice. So was Dellinger.

    Doesn't change the fact that they were both pretty pointless arc-wise.
    God forbid if Oda makes a side-character get a small awesome moment against one of the officers. No, only important characters should do anything.

    This is like complaining about the Yama vs. Genbo fight.

  14. #134
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    removed again

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    People should really just start ignoring Darth. At this point he's little more than a troll.


    Anyway I haven't even read the chapter yet but that coverstory is so adorable~

  15. #135
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    He still gets to show the strength of the officers. We have yet to see how strong Machvise, Lao G and Baby 5 (by herself against human opponents) are. If this serves as a proper way to showcase the officers' abilities, then why not?

    Dellinger alone has taken down 2 gladiators.
    What kind of a showcase is that, when only two of them actually shown something new?

    And please. Most of those people got literaly one-shotted at the coloseum. I cannot consider executives fighting against them a show of power.

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    God forbid if Oda makes a side-character get a small awesome moment against one of the officers. No, only important characters should do anything.
    ... Luffy, who is still a main character, when I last checked haven't done anything of note for the last thirty chapters or so.

    And I'm sorry, but Dagama isn't that interesting that I would forget about that.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    People should really just start ignoring Darth. At this point he's little more than a troll.


    Anyway I haven't even read the chapter yet but that coverstory is so adorable~
    ... And you have judged chapter to be good without reading it.

    So who is trolling, exactly?

  16. #136
    The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I hacked ultimateclima's account

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by Nex View Post
    "Set-up"
    "Uneventful"

    Really people? You're so predictable. I knew while reading it these complaints would be waiting here.

    People have been wanting more Marineford, well ever since the big battle finally started, this arc has been operating just like Marineford: constant cutting across the battlefield, small snippets of fights, focus on Luffy pushing towards a goal with lots of allies helping him get there. It's the exact same MO. And just like Marineford, while it can feel "slow" week to week, if you reread the arc as a whole (which I did last week) it all flows perfectly. Oda has always churned out arcs that work better when read straight through than week to week, and Dressrosa is no different.
    Before I get to my point, I will say that the myriad of plot points makes these chapters much denser to read in bulk than the earlier arcs. I've been trying to reread some of the post timeskip arcs, and the vast amount of info in the volumes makes its tougher to get through multiple chapters in one sitting. The chapters nowadays seem much more suited for weekly reading per chapter, at least that's how I feel.

    So first off, I think you're comparison to Marineford is misplaced just because a number of people didn't like the way Marineford operated, and many excused it as less of a stylistic way to write as more of a way to show a war without revealing what all the major powers can do just yet or having major losses that can't occur at the moment. But, like you mentioned, it is more of a style Oda's been writing lately.

    But with that said, and as someone that did like the chapter, I can get the complaints. The spoiler thread used the Skypiea arc during the Elimination game, but I see this more as the siege on Enies Lobby or the block of chapters from when Zoro/Sanji/Kinemon/Brook met Smiley and were trying to run away from it to the set up of the fights in Punk Hazard. It's not like the plot wasn't moving during those chapters just like the plot is moving in the last few chapters, but I feel like if there's anything Oda should be telling and not showing or condensing it'd be chapters like these.

    Now this becomes a matter of opinion, but I think there's stuff that can be cut in the recent chapters. The trying to trap Luffy and Law scene was kinda superfluous and ended up just being a tease that led nowhere. As cool as the choreography was, showing Sabo taking down Bastille and other Marine fodder felt superfluous. Even with this chapter, as nice as it was to see Bellamy again (and quite honestly I have no idea when a good time for him to show up would have been), the scene definitely felt tacked on instead of organic.

    But utlimately, negativity sucks, whether it's people complaining about the chapter or people complaining about people complaining about the chapter. This particular discussion should probably just be dropped, though with this post I guess I'm part of the problem.
    Last edited by Gizmo; July 15th, 2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

  17. #137

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    What kind of a showcase is that, when only two of them actually shown something new?

    And please. Most of those people got literaly one-shotted at the coloseum. I cannot consider executives fighting against them a show of power.
    Yeah, because Oda won't focus on the other officers' abilities at all.

    We don't even know Machvise's Devil Fruit ability name yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    ... Luffy, who is still a main character, when I last checked haven't done anything of note for the last thirty chapters or so.

    And I'm sorry, but Dagama isn't that interesting that I would forget about that.
    What does Luffy doing "nothing" has to do with this?

  18. #138

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post

    Because the fact that they are in group battle, and not getting one on one fights should be a clear indication to you that Oda intends to skip a lot including them.

    He has off-screened fights that might be considered even more important, why not that one?
    No, I think you misunderstood what I meant.

    Oda usually does a good job at giving exposure to his villains, and that includes showing their powers and quirks. I felt the Dofla family needed more of those, and I've been going on and on week after week how I think that's exactly what the Colosseum fighters are there about: hype the Officers up.

    Yes, I think they'll be off-paneled, or taken out rather easily. But that works mighty fine for me if, afterwards, we get their real fights. I expect the officers to go down to more relevant characters.

    If they're to be settled with the 3-4 strongest Colosseum guys, then I fully expect them to have a half-full chapter fight to themselves, though I heavily doubt that's how it's gonna go down. I expect Robin, Rebeca, Kinemon, maybe Kanjuro as a "hello I'm Kanjuro and these're my powers!" scenario, Koala, Barto and Cavendish getting a real fight. Expect.

    Bottom line, I think what Oda did, specially for Dellinger but also for the rest of the officers was really useful if he intends to give them a fight later on.

    I agree that little character moment for Dagama was nice. So was Dellinger.

    Doesn't change the fact that they were both pretty pointless arc-wise.
    Dellinger is part of the main villain group. These are usually as pointless as offerings for fights. If these were a regular arc and Brook, Nami, Chopper and Sanji were here, you know what each of these guys would be used for: mandatory 1 on 1's with the SH's. With this arc having half the crew out of comission, it becomes a bit harder to grasp how they'll be used, but I honestly doubt it be to get stalled off-panel by these Colosseum guys. I mean, Señor Pink has the same rank as these guys, and he's already facing Franky. I don't see why these guys won't share the same fate.

    Now, Dagama and co. are a sticky issue. People either love them or hate the fact that they seem to have totally hijacked the manga for the past couple months. Or both things at the same time. I feel that, I really do.

    Me, I've been very vocal about my love for these guys. Everything works for me about them: design, quirks, ability, running gags. They're also part of the best post time skip stuff we've gotten so far. So, seeing them take center place during the arc's climax and work with the main protagonist toward the goal of taking down the main bad, while, during the way, getting the chance to interact both with Luffy and among themselves, sort their differences and end up working together AND getting to battle the main villain squad? That's absolutely awesome in my eyes.

    On the other hand, I get that these are really secondary characters, and we won't be seeing much of them (except, maybe, till the last arc) this side of Cavendish and Bartolomeo, so Oda giving them so much panel time, panel time that up till this chapter consisted of mostly run, shout and kick the occasional goon in the face. . .yeah, even I got tired of it.

    So I see where you're coming from, but I still really appreciate when Oda actually gives them GOOD stuff to be a part of, like this week.

    (And I'll never forget this. Never. Thank you, Oda).


    If the emotional core of this arc are coloseum fighters, then I'm afraid I completly missed the point.

    Especially since most of them are horrible, or stupid people, and I do not feel bad for them at all.
    No, Bellamy is one of the (many) emotional cores of this arc. Just like someone as unimportant as Brownbeard was during Punk Hazard who ended up being the last push for Luffy to totally wreck Caesar's face beyond recognition, and who had a moment where he stood by himself against a much bigger foe for what he thought was right.

    Oda lives-off those moments, and I already smell Bellamy having one of those relatively soon. And I'm all for that, so I think he's relevant all right.

    The Colosseum guys are mostly gag ridden, except King Riku or Hack. The rest are mostly your usual gang of very loud hooligans. Of course only a handful of them have been portrayed as ultimately relevant, but the rest work fairly well as a team while still having decent individuality to them (Dagama, Abdullah & Jeet, Ucy). Yes, they're mostly stupid, I guess that's the point, and I don't think you need to feel bad for them seeing how half of them are either criminals or violent fight junkies or terrorists, lol. But they're doing heroic stuff to end Dofla's reign of terror, and I don't think that was portrayed particularly bad in here.

    Three main ones, yeah, probably. The others, however? I'm not as sure as you are about it.
    Oda likes them. He's had fun with them, even in small doses.

    Sadly, Oda didn't seem to have any fun with Bastille. He didn't even have the mandatory character quirk or running gag. He was there, he exposed dialogue, he got taken out without even naming his attack. And I'm sad cause his design is pretty damned fantastic, but Oda didn't like him enough, I guess.

    You can tell who Oda likes and who don't by how he portrays them, even if in the bigger scheme of things they're all as relevant and game changing as a freaking ant.

  19. #139

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Surprisingly, best page of the chapter was the cover. I couldn't help but imagine Jinbe defending the little lost kitten with an outstretched finger point and shouting a single word.

    My time off these forums is still well spent.

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    God forbid if Oda makes a side-character get a small awesome moment against one of the officers. No, only important characters should do anything.

    This is like complaining about the Yama vs. Genbo fight.
    I wouldn't say it's nearly as dragged out as the Skypeia arc. We're already heading toward the confrontations, along with Law's flashback at some point or another, and Oda is busy fitting everything into these chapters before the climax. I don't know if the climax really requires so much buildup, but it's good to build the hype in the meantime.
    Last edited by rubia_ryu; July 15th, 2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: except that Jinbe is doing exactly that
    Avatar by しろくま on Pixiv; Compass Birds pic trimmed by yours truly ->


  20. #140

    Default Re: Chapter 753 War

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    Gladius got to show another use of his powers (setting mines). We saw the officers are clearly above the lower tiered Colosseum fighters, and we'll see how the stronger ones fare (Ideo, Sai, Gilly).
    Because the fact that they are in group battle, and not getting one on one fights should be a clear indication to you that Oda intends to skip a lot including them.

    He has off-screened fights that might be considered even more important, why not that one?



    I agree that little character moment for Dagama was nice. So was Dellinger.

    Doesn't change the fact that they were both pretty pointless arc-wise.



    If the emotional core of this arc are coloseum fighters, then I'm afraid I completly missed the point.

    Especially since most of them are horrible, or stupid people, and I do not feel bad for them at all.



    Three main ones, yeah, probably. The others, however? I'm not as sure as you are about it.

    Guaranteed Oda will not be skipping their fights. Sure we might have some off screened free for all fighting going on, precisely because it barely goes anywhere, but when there are particularly 5 of them left, it will be a nice 5 v 5. Skypiea's all out fight wasn't off screened. Oda off screened many of the war's fights for the sake of hiding peoples powers. Punk Hazard was an issue with it but it really wasn't that bad tbh. Ideo, Sai, Blue Gilly, Don Chinjao and the King are the most fleshed out fighters. And Dellinger is completely not pointless, Dagama sure, but Dellinger is Dofla's subordinate. Would you say the same for Jyabura or any other CP9 member that only appeared in Enies lobby and not water 7?

    Dont worry, I hate with what he did to Bastille and Jesus. Down playing the colosseum fighters to hype the Doflamingo Family is kind of okay in my eyes, only because they need it heavily. I didn't need to know that Sabo could thrash a VA in 2 seconds just because.
    Last edited by Gia Sado; July 15th, 2014 at 11:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts