+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

I've heard a lot of good things about Mushishi (mostly the anime but I wanted to read the manga first) so I've been reading that. But the one that's really caught my attention since I've started reading it is called Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou which is about a robot that runs a coffee shop in a somewhat post-apocalyptic (not nuclear wasteland, but it seems like how people keep describing a future caused by unchecked climate change) world. It seemed interesting just by itself but recently (mostly because of Girls' Last Tour) I've been thinking it would be cool for a story to have taking photos be a big part of it and that seems where YKK is going. I don't know how much taking photos is going to part of the manga so far since I'm not that far into it but I really hope that stays as part of the manga. I also really like the art style.

Default Re: What manga are you reading and how do you like it? What do you plan to read?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about Mushishi (mostly the anime but I wanted to read the manga first) so I've been reading that. But the one that's really caught my attention since I've started reading it is called Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou which is about a robot that runs a coffee shop in a somewhat post-apocalyptic (not nuclear wasteland, but it seems like how people keep describing a future caused by unchecked climate change) world. It seemed interesting just by itself but recently (mostly because of Girls' Last Tour) I've been thinking it would be cool for a story to have taking photos be a big part of it and that seems where YKK is going. I don't know how much taking photos is going to part of the manga so far since I'm not that far into it but I really hope that stays as part of the manga. I also really like the art style.
    Taking photos plays a small but nice role in the manga (just some few chapters). But the series is one of the best, sure you might like it really much, as well as Mushishi. By the way, Ashinano Hitoshi (YKK's author) wrote a lovely oneshot as a homage to Mushishi, called Shimering of the sea.

I found Lamplight (Tomishi) and I'm very pleased by the visual narrative, which is really high and well excecuted. The art style is similar to Otomo Katsuhiro's one (Akira). Very nice collection of short stories.

I ended Spirit Circle by Mitsukami Satoshi (Sengoku Youko). Just a masterpiece to me. I practice spiritual development and just find it very much revealing and an echo of many trues. Sure manga can teach you as well as any science.

*sigh* Of course I start reading Hinomaru Zumou, like, a week before it ends.

It's funny how I enjoy so many sports manga when I rarely watch sports in real life.

I imagine most sports anime games are like once in a decade games in real life, if they're even that grounded.

I'm reading Beck and Buddha right now for finished manga. Beck's cool, though the manga format with no sound is both a benefit and a detriment I feel. On the one hand, any music the people making the anime make up might not be as good as what you imagine, but it's still nice to have music in a music series. The only thing I knew about Beck before starting it was one of the scenes from the anime with gratuitous Engrish, so I'll have to at least check out the music playing to see what kind of music they used. Buddha's the second Tezuka manga I've read after Phoenix. It's pretty similar to some of the stuff in Phoenix so it's familiar. Tezuka continues to add comedy that isn't really my thing too just like in Phoenix. I imagine maybe he felt the stories might have been too dark without that humor but quite a bit of it references "modern day" (to when the manga was written) stuff which just takes me out of it. Other than that it's great so far. I wanted to read it because I started and caught up with Houseki no Kuni, which apparently has a lot of Buddhist themes in it and made me interested in looking into stuff about it. Houseki no Kuni is extremely good too. Highly recommended.

Oh. My. God.

I am reading the final battle in Hinomaru Zumo and . . . . .WHAT THE FUCK IS TRUMP DOING IN MY MANGA!!!?

In the past few months I've caught up on

promised never land
    Dr. Stone
    Solo Leveling
    Gintama
    Seven Deadly sins
    Demon Slayer

I reread
    Hitman Reborn
    Beelzebub
    Toriko
    Tokyo Ghoul
    The Breakers
    Black Cat
    Yu Yu Hakusho

and am currently reading
    D. Grayman (just started)
    The Breakers new waves (just started)
    and Tokyo Ghoul RE (volume 12)

Finished Beck. Damn that was a good manga. It was kind of shaky near the beginning but it mostly just kept getting better and better as it went along. Would like an anime that covers the entire thing but having actual music I imagine might ruin the magic. And I haven't watched much of the anime there is but I imagine English being used so much in the manga might be an issue and not really transfer over to the anime (I know that the manga already just puts Japanese in a different font to denote that people are speaking English, outside of actual English here and there). From what I've seen of it though, Ray's English is more like Engrish when he's supposed to be pretty good with English. There's also both American and British English in the series.

Been reading more Tezuka stuff too. I finished Buddha, which is masterpiece tier along with Phoenix, which I'd already read. MW was an interesting edgy thriller and not something I'd have associated with Tezuka when I'd just heard of him having written Astro Boy. Reading Princess Knight right now. It's pretty good, though not as good as I was hoping. Not much of a fan of the boy/girl heart stuff though the idea of a girl needing to pretend to be a boy to be ruler is interesting. I'm sure it was hardly a new thing in the 50s too.

Finished Beck. Damn that was a good manga. It was kind of shaky near the beginning but it mostly just kept getting better and better as it went along. Would like an anime that covers the entire thing but having actual music I imagine might ruin the magic. And I haven't watched much of the anime there is but I imagine English being used so much in the manga might be an issue and not really transfer over to the anime (I know that the manga already just puts Japanese in a different font to denote that people are speaking English, outside of actual English here and there). From what I've seen of it though, Ray's English is more like Engrish when he's supposed to be pretty good with English. There's also both American and British English in the series.
    If you want another music manga, I recommend Blue Giant or Kids on the Slope (which had an anime a few years back)

Last chapter of Yugami-kun is out. Really a nice reading experience, and as one can see on the number of comments, even if Yugami has no friends, he has a lot of fans

Reading Kabu no Isaki and Saturn Apartments right now. Kabu no Isaki is fantastic and so far more or less as good as YKK. It's more focused on planes and a world revolving around flying planes in a massive world though, which has its appeal over what goes on in YKK. Saturn Apartments is pretty good too. Not as much a fan of the art style though.

Reading Kabu no Isaki and Saturn Apartments right now. Kabu no Isaki is fantastic and so far more or less as good as YKK. It's more focused on planes and a world revolving around flying planes in a massive world though, which has its appeal over what goes on in YKK. Saturn Apartments is pretty good too. Not as much a fan of the art style though.
    Spoiler:
    I love Shirosan from KnI. She loves freedom and she likes to see how free are the youngsters at her side. She has no hurries, and she likes sex and alcohol... ... the experienced and entertaining mature woman who knows how to have good times.... Like an old good wine...

Personally I'm a big fan of Saturn Appartment round art style

Volume 9 and last one of Umimashi diary has been released in France and this is a wonderful slice of life story

I finished Kabu no Isaki. Not really sure what to make of the last couple of chapters. I'd heard the ending was weird.
    Spoiler:
    So I get that there was a comparison being drawn between the scooter and the plane. I imagine the world where Isaki owns a scooter at the end is the normal sized world and with the world being scaled up 10 times for most of the story planes were the main mode of travel. It's mostly just about how having a mode of transportation, like a car, or a scooter, or a plane, etc can open up your opportunities and give you more freedom. What I don't really get is the thing with Shiro at the end in the mystery place. I don't think it's supposed to be an "it was all a dream" ending, and Isaki even says that he doesn't think it's a dream and Shiro says that it's real. But I'm not really sure what is supposed to be implied there. Isaki also doesn't seem to know who Shiro is in the last chapter when he sees her. And Shiro tells Isaki that Kajika is his big (where for most of the story she's 12 and he's 16) sister and that she took him to this same place before.

There's also the whole thing with the airship surveying the Earth's surface and Shiro meets one of those people in the last couple of chapters and she says that they didn't really find anything of note. The whole illusion aspect first seemed to be brought up when Isaki scans the package at Mt. Fuji and it causes some sort of reflection in him of first seeing it earlier in the series. The only thing that really comes to mind is some sort of illusion or hologram stuff going on. And that would kind of fit with the stuff with the airship since it's a classified thing and all. But I can't really form any kind of coherent narrative to tie all of this stuff together. Maybe I'll see if I can find any interpretations people have written up since the manga ended.

Overall great manga and even with the strange ending it doesn't take away from the rest for me and I don't even really dislike the ending. I don't think this mangaka has done any manga for several years now but I hope he does another one at some point. There's still a couple other short manga by him I need to read.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; September 14th, 2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: "Kabu no Isekai" I guess could fit with the ending maybe.

I finished Kabu no Isaki. Not really sure what to make of the last couple of chapters. I'd heard the ending was weird.
    Spoiler:
    So I get that there was a comparison being drawn between the scooter and the plane. I imagine the world where Isaki owns a scooter at the end is the normal sized world and with the world being scaled up 10 times for most of the story planes were the main mode of travel. It's mostly just about how having a mode of transportation, like a car, or a scooter, or a plane, etc can open up your opportunities and give you more freedom. What I don't really get is the thing with Shiro at the end in the mystery place. I don't think it's supposed to be an "it was all a dream" ending, and Isaki even says that he doesn't think it's a dream and Shiro says that it's real. But I'm not really sure what is supposed to be implied there. Isaki also doesn't seem to know who Shiro is in the last chapter when he sees her. And Shiro tells Isaki that Kajika is his big (where for most of the story she's 12 and he's 16) sister and that she took him to this same place before.

There's also the whole thing with the airship surveying the Earth's surface and Shiro meets one of those people in the last couple of chapters and she says that they didn't really find anything of note. The whole illusion aspect first seemed to be brought up when Isaki scans the package at Mt. Fuji and it causes some sort of reflection in him of first seeing it earlier in the series. The only thing that really comes to mind is some sort of illusion or hologram stuff going on. And that would kind of fit with the stuff with the airship since it's a classified thing and all. But I can't really form any kind of coherent narrative to tie all of this stuff together. Maybe I'll see if I can find any interpretations people have written up since the manga ended.

Overall great manga and even with the strange ending it doesn't take away from the rest for me and I don't even really dislike the ending. I don't think this mangaka has done any manga for several years now but I hope he does another one at some point. There's still a couple other short manga by him I need to read.
    Here my impressions on the end and the whole manga, if you are interested.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information