+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Music that inspires your art?

Default Music that inspires your art?

Yo so what music inspires you to draw, write, etc? There's a few soundtracks I know I can throw on if I'm going to spend a few hours working in a piece:

Spoiler:

Love track #6 a lot

Sometimes I'll throw on a pandora LOTR channel, but I always end up with the narnia soundtrack songs, which are kind of hammy and bleh. They throw off my groove!!

Sometimes I'll listen to this but not too often. Holy got me into it

So what gets your juices going?? Just curious!!

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Default Re: Music that inspires your art?

Mornings I usually have this on loop for about an hour/hour and a half while I warm up and do gestures.
    Spoiler:

When I start studying I usually play soundtracks; Dark Souls, Skyrim, Journey, Okami, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Warcraft. I'll also listen to a bunch of movie soundtracks; Studio Ghibli, Paprika, Avengers soundtrack(not the bands), Harry Potter
    Then comes the personal work. Anything that gets me pumped up usually does the trick, as I'll need the inspiration to have a successful workout at around 12-1pm
    Spoiler:

Also a big fan of covers, there's not enough 80's cartoon covers out there.
    Spoiler:

Though if I'm working on a piece that can take more than 6 hours, I'll throw on a podcast, just to I can get some sort of feeling of social interactivity, even if I'm not part of the conversation. That's why its a great idea to always have some sort of friend to skype to while you're both working on shit.

The Go Team!'s Rolling Blackouts and Thunder, Lighting, Strike.
    I like listening to something fun and upbeat with some explosive sound(not like repetive guitar/electric guitar chords with boring vocals you'd probably heard from some douche on your college campus, but a loud and cleaver mix between instrumental and electronic). Another thing that makes this band fun is the mix of genres and the almost grindhouse vibe. Can't describe it, but yeah. Their music is caffeine.

Aside from that, mostly game music and prog rock. Mostly consists of upbeat stuff.

I can't to not see this drawing on my mind when this subject is addressed.
    Art is serious business man.
    Hidden:

My drawing/life drawing classes enforced this picture quite a bit. They wouldn't allow anyone to listen to music while working because they thought it was a distraction. Some people can't listen to anything while working, while others can. Me being the latter, I can't draw without some sort of music playing or else it turns out to be too much of a chore and I have a bad session. It's kinda like the whole sleeping with white noise thing, I need a fan or something in the background or else I just can't sleep.

If that's a sort of relaxation drawing, well, I guess that doesn't matter. But if I've a precise objective, specific drawing in my mind, I consider that if Milt Kahl cannot be concentrate without silence, no one can. That's sometime also a good thing to have some strict rules.

I concentrate a lot better when I've got something to listen too. Even more so if I have someone to talk to. I don't really get distracted when I'm in the zone. I know a lot of animators follow the same route as Milt, but I'd go crazy if it was nothing but silence.

I never seen that comic before, and I think it's kinda BS that professors would actually use it as a legitimate life lesson or discipline. It just seems so personal peeve to me. Like was Milt intending to teach anything from that?

I have adopted that 'I have to be like Milt' way of thinking before in my animation work, and while there is some merit to it, I have come to accept that I'm not milt and I'll never be milt. I can only be me, and maybe I'm the kind of person who can listen to music and keyframe at the same time.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Weird that life drawing classes won't let you listen to music though. In animation I can understand that the beat of the music can throw off the beat or flow of the timing of your picture but Idk why it'd be relevant in any other drawing field

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Well I don't know how you're doing this.
    I can't decently be at 100% of my work if there is some auditive perturbation. That ask to your brain an effort to "pass away" this (that's not just a feeling, there is always a part of the brain whose used to eliminate noise whose not directly useful) and think to : your pose problem, volume, morphology, expressivity, rythm...
    That 's hard for me to be comfortable with all of these thing, if I have to listen music in the same time. Huh... O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Like was Milt intending to teach anything from that?
    I don't think he could be considered like "teacher" with great pedagogy
    All genius are unpleasant guys no ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrad View Post
    [COLOR=#222222]Well I don't know how you're doing this.
    I can't decently be at 100% of my work if there is some auditive perturbation. That ask to your brain an effort to "pass away" this (that's not just a feeling, there is always a part of the brain whose used to eliminate noise whose not directly useful) and think to : your pose problem, volume, morphology, expressivity, rythm...
    That 's hard for me to be comfortable with all of these thing, if I have to listen music in the same time. Huh... O_o
    its pretty easy tbh. I have my reference stuff in the computer and breakdown poses don't require any real substantial thought as they are right there in the footage. Maybe in the in betweening and fine details it might help but I keep a close eye on my arcs and watch for tangents and there's not any great difference between when I listen to music and when I don't. Perhaps when I go pro and start producing a ton of stuff, it'll make more of a difference

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

My brain is constantly multitasking and it's akin to a bunch of tentacles whipping around grabbing hold of interesting things. When I sculpt, or draw, I have some loose tentacles that tend to focus on music and listening to sounds throws them a bone to fiddle with, so I can concentrate. Silence is okay on the rarest, rarest of occasion.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

It's neither silence nor music for me. I philosophize when I draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Hell View Post
    My brain is constantly multitasking and it's akin to a bunch of tentacles whipping around grabbing hold of interesting things. When I sculpt, or draw, I have some loose tentacles that tend to focus on music and listening to sounds throws them a bone to fiddle with, so I can concentrate. Silence is okay on the rarest, rarest of occasion.
    This is a really impressive metaphor. Or at least I hope it's one...this sounds too vivid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipmate View Post
    It's neither silence nor music for me. I philosophize when I draw.
    Well, I have heard people face an existential crisis when they face an empty canvas, but this is new.
    Do you philosophize out loud? If yes, I can imagine your drawing process must be a really interesting one.
    Things I think are cool!

Blood Brothers Mix is one of the most pumping inspirational music you can listen too while working.
    https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/blood-bros-first-blood
    https://soundcloud.com/maddecent/blood-bros-heaven2hell

It also works for a killer workout session.

Interesting topic here. I don't draw, but I do have to have some sort of music playing when I write something. Well, I gotta have music playing when I do almost anything, but writing is most important. Sometimes it takes me an hour to find a song that matches the mood I'm trying to capture, and sometimes finding a good song doesn't help me at all, but a lot of the time I end up feeling the mood more clearly myself and it's easier to write whatever emotion I need to.

Some of the songs I've used for my OP writing have been...
    Paradise - Coldplay. Used this to write a short Shuraiya fic that I felt needed a feeling of despair with some uplifting moments too.
    Silent Storm - Carl Ebsen. For a Law fic, chosen mainly because of appropriate lyrics, but also because it's a mournful dramatic song anyway.
    Grand Line no shimajima (hot); Arashi mo areba hoshi mo aru - Kohei Tanaka. Another Shuraiya fic, this one still in progress. It's more than one chapter so I pick a different song for each chapter.

Like I said, I don't have specific songs I always listen to unless I'm just dashing off some random writing and don't care enough about it to pick a fitting song. Either way, listening to music helps me focus even if I'm not working on a serious project. It's pretty fascinating to me that other people are more distracted by it than anything else; if I sit in silence, I end up noticing every little sound or I start hearing noises in my ears, so it takes all my attention away from what I'm doing.

I kind of space out while I'm sewing and don't realize I'm working in silence until I'm almost already finished. It's the strangest thing. I suppose it's because my sewing machine makes a lot of noise? It's actually quite soothing.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information