+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Oh no, there goes Tokyo. It's a Godzilla thread!

Default Re: Oh no, there goes Tokyo. It's a Godzilla thread!

I haven't watched old Godzilla movies since I was a kid, what did you guys think about the roster, they had Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan, were there any other monsters you guys thought should be there?

Anguirus is the biggest name they didn't have but Toho is well known for their brutal licensing fees and he's the least well known of the five.

It's possible that they originally intended Methusaleh to be Anguirus and gave the former a design that could be shifted over to make him the latter if something could be worked out.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Saw the movie tonight and had an absolute blast. Had a stupid grin on my face the whole time. All the criticisms are valid, but I didn't give a damn. It was a ton of fun to watch.

I loved how the worked the classic Godzilla and Mothra scores into the movie. Very nice touch.

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Just saw the movie. I pretty much agree with the consensus that the human parts were dull (but passable) and the monster parts were fun. I'm not sure I enjoyed as much as some people (certainly not as much as MovieBob), but I did enjoy it. It was good time.

And with that, I think now might be a good time for me to finally check out all the old Japanese Godzilla films.

The human part is totally sacrificed to serve the Monster part. I don't have a problem with that because the monster scenes are all that I care XD. I go to a cinema only because I want to experience the fantastic visual and audio effects rather than to watch a story. It was perfect for me! Michael Dougherty manages to serve the fans well.

I saw it last night. I was pretty pleased with it. Yeah the human parts were meh. But the monster stuff pretty epic.

Spoiler:
    People are now shipping Mothra DNA Godzilla lol.

No,it's NOT a video about Bob going "I loved it so my opinion is right and everyone else's is wrong."
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

(Not a response to the moviebob video, haven't seen it)

As someone whos only ever watched Godzilla '98 and Kong movies, one thing that sort of baffles me with the attitude towards the Godzilla franchise are all the caveats that and excuses that apply to them, but not seemingly to anything else.
    When people go "The human parts ALWAYS suck in Godzilla movies! What do people expect?" I'm just wondering...surely the human parts weren't designed to suck? Surely they attempt to have distinct characters, drama, maybe even arcs - and ideally, the audience should like these things? As is the case with pretty much any other film, ever? Saying that everything sucking except Godzilla, who may not be featured all that much, is a staple of a 60 year old franchise just makes me think "They never managed to improved those other bits in 60 years"? Ideally, both the monster bits and the human bits, all the bits, should be good, surely?

Idunno, to me it sounds like a defense akin to "Why are you bothered that James Bond is depicted as charming despite being a creepy, sexist predator? Its ALWAYS been like this!"

Universing Misunderstandal

It's not that I believe a compelling human cast is an unachievable goal for a Godzilla film, it's just that a majority of the attempts have been underwhelming or misguided.

The struggle is that Godzilla and the other kaiju are gargantuan forces of nature and its hard to compete when just a little showtime from them can make the film for an audience.
    The human cast should be serving as proper buildup for those hype monster moments, but usually end up feeling like meandering busywork that just take away time from our favorite monsters.

Just imagine a James Bond film where he takes a backseat for a majority of the run to focus on the struggles of a family that was stitched into the plot.
    It's either a daring stroke to change up the dynamic and makes James Bond the lesser seen darkhorse in a film that bears his name or is a criminally inept move that was poorly executed.
    But I suppose it isn't a fair 1:1 comparison until we see how Godzilla plays at poker.
    0% of story complete. There's plenty of work to be done.
    What's in a name?
    Ckaolradt, Esirnuset, Basaken, Artetzun, Faunthier, Yobenzarg, Hindriak, Jwapheonis, Quinoxund
    Some kind of effort not to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    "They never managed to improved those other bits in 60 years"?
    Nope. Pretty much the only Godzilla films where the human parts were worthwhile was Gojira itself and, to a lesser extent, the Raymond Burr version since they actually made an effort to make those sequences match the feel and tone of the original film.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    When people go "The human parts ALWAYS suck in Godzilla movies! What do people expect?" I'm just wondering...surely the human parts weren't designed to suck?
    You maybe should watch the Bob video, it actually talks about that specifically.

It's a hard thing to explain but the movies have always been cheezy and cheap looking, even to young eyes, and moreso when filtered through being dubbed over. You tune in for the giant monsters and everything else really is set dressing.

They've tried from time to time to make the human stuff compelling , and the Gamera reboots are pretty good at being a serious take, but its just... its not what they're about.

When the films aren't treating Godzilla as a full blown natural disaster like in the very first one, well, its hard to take the human parts too seriously because... you have giant rubbersuit monsters going around.

The James Bond comparison is sort of the right idea... but not quite there since the style of the film varied a lot dependant on the era and the actor. They vary the sexual predator part, and that aspect IS something that has aged badly and they've tried to work away from by having the women be better. Bond changed a lot over the decades until it was just a broad parody of itself, and then they reinvent it every new actor and took it back to basics for the last few years with no gadgets or anything.

A better comparison might be going to see a Jackie Chan movie. You know Jackie himself is going to be likeable and funny, but the plot is generally going to be thin thing designed to get you from set piece to set piece, and most of the movies are just carried by his sheer charisma... and willingness to break every bone in his body. I've seen Drunken Master 2 more times than I can count, its one of my all time faves. THe characters are all likeable, there's some funny bits, but I'll be damned if i can tell you any of the character names, or more than a super vague outline of the actual plot... but I can describe in detail all the action set pieces Of course, when you've done as many films as Jackie has, the quality varies and some are much more serious and make stronger attempts at a serious story and are a bit more compelling, but... you're always there for Jackie. And you might actually be dissapointed with a "serious Jackie Chan" film where he's doing a dramatic role with almost no stunts, because... that's not what you want to see him for. You will never ever remember his character name, he's always Jackie Chan.

Godzilla is a star like that. You go in to see what that guy does that no one else can, that part is entertaining and can carry a film, and not much else matters too much.
    Last edited by Robby; June 21st, 2019 at 03:28 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

Robby, that just became my favorite post on this entire board!
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

Yeah, I don't think anyone is claiming that Godzilla movies are Citizen Kane, Casablanca, or even Star Wars or MCU-tier films, but for what they are, they're good cheezy fun.

It's the same reason I've been watching Super Sentai shows over the last few years. Yeah, the plotting and characters are pretty trite and cliched, but darn if it isn't just fun to watch people in spandex go at it with people in rubber monster costumes.

And if that's not your thing, that's completely understandable.

I want to believe too big guy
    3ds code friend:0404-6254-1866
    new "new"3ds code friend:0791-4253-7110 (monster hunter)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information