+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: General Fitness Thread

Default Re: Do You Even Lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Arei View Post
    Are there any other users (particularly other women because it seems to be way easier for men) here who have lost quite a bit of weight, like 50+? I've got to lose 80 pounds to get to my healthy weight, and eventually I want to be in shape enough that I can do something like P90X or Insanity to get the last 20 off to my skinny weight (because last time I got down that low, I had to work out 2 hours a day and keep my calorie count insanely low to maintain that, and that was too high maintenance.. of course I was just playing DDR and doing pilates back then)

Has anyone found a program they find easy to stick to? I'm working with a personal trainer, but I feel like I can never push it far enough. Unfortunately do to my schedule, I have to skip out on some sleep to get up to work out in the morning early enough, and eventually I crash and skip work outs. The gym closes by the time I get off of work, so that isn't an option :/ I'm just curious to see if any other ladies have found something that brought them fast results.

Also right now, I don't have a freezer to be able to cook meals ahead of time and keep something always onhand. I try not to eat out, I mostly live off of healthy or low-cal frozen dinners, but real cooking is better. I'm hoping to have my mom's shit cleared out so I can put a freezer in the garage soon, but I have no idea how to eat properly.

Last time I lost a lot of weight I literally played DDR for 2 hours most days and lived off of meal replacement bars. Unfortunately I'm too fat for DDR now.
    You said you can't make it to the gym in time, but is any sort of lifting an option? Do you have any light weights at home or would you be open to getting them?
    Last edited by Steven D. Teach; April 11th, 2014 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven D. Teach View Post
    Haha, I meant Breaking Bad.
    Oh, well duh. How did I not remember that?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    That usually happens when your posture is poor.
    Man, it's pretty hard standing up straight, I tell you what
    Yup, posture is one of those annoying but important things in life. So much core strength is required to stand/sit properly. Weird, but true.

You said you can't make it to the gym in time, but is any sort of lifting an option? Do you have any light weights at home or would you be open to getting them?
    This^
    If you don't have any weights, but you buy gallon milk jugs, here's what you do. Save the milk jugs, fill them with water. Should be around 8lbs each. Fill it with dirt and it should be around 12-15lbs. Curl the shit out of them.

A gym to me is more about being social, otherwise everything you'd ever need to workout can be bought for around $100 or cheaper on craigslist, which pays for itself and saves you a ton of money if you're already paying for a gym membership. If you don't want a bodybuilder type of physique, you can get by with just 30-40lb dumbbells.

Just ran my first 5K. I ran most of it (~2.5 miles) and had a total time of ~31 min. I'd say that's not too bad, considering I was pretty busy the past week and didn't have any time to train for it at all.

I would highly discourage people from doing situps everyday, in fact my ab workouts don't consists of any sit ups whatsoever. Over time it can lead to a disc herniation in your back and cause tight hip flexors (the front of your hip), which is already tight enough from people having to sit down all day at work. Planks and stabilization exercises would be a lot better IMO.

Caesar "The Mask" Clown Massimo D Luffy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelery Bonney View Post
    Planks and stabilization exercises would be a lot better IMO.
    I second this.
    16 chars
    Quote Originally Posted by Emporio Ivankov
    "Miracle only descends upon those with the will to carry on. Do not take them so lightly"

Wen it comes to losing weight by eating healthier/going on a diet and exercising, at what time can you eat junk food again? Cause some people say you need to completely have a lifestyle change in regards to eating.
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Please don't live off of frozen dinners, they're pure nutrition-less trans-fat saturated EVIL. D:

If you have the means to, shift to whole foods. The less processed, the better, that's the general consensus.
    I try to stick with the healthier options but... microwaving food zaps so many nutrients out of the food anyway, it's probably useless. I'm living at home at the moment and my mom has the fridge completely filled with her shit, I can have very little on hand at one time. Eating a clean, balanced, whole-food diet with shittons of exercise everyday is the key to getting the weight off for me, and I'm failing at both ends. The garage is completely full of her garbage but I hope to have that taken care of by the end of this month, I'll get a freezer and a second fridge and have a way to keep my food options open.

I have a set of hand weights only, I'd like to get a bar. I can do curls with the bar, but sometimes other free weights and equipment really screw up my neck and leave it with horrible spasms. I'm finally hopefully having that issue discovered and dealt with next week, it's something I've had problems with for about 6 years now. I can't even tolerate having the phone up to my ear at work most days. My doctor advised to be careful with the hand weights, as I really wanted to incorporate curling while walking.

Planks and stabilization exercises would be a lot better IMO.
    I completely agree. This gives me the best results and actually increases strength.

Quote Originally Posted by DartG View Post
    This^
    If you don't have any weights, but you buy gallon milk jugs, here's what you do. Save the milk jugs, fill them with water. Should be around 8lbs each. Fill it with dirt and it should be around 12-15lbs. Curl the shit out of them.

A gym to me is more about being social, otherwise everything you'd ever need to workout can be bought for around $100 or cheaper on craigslist, which pays for itself and saves you a ton of money if you're already paying for a gym membership. If you don't want a bodybuilder type of physique, you can get by with just 30-40lb dumbbells.
    I'm hoping that once we get the house fixed after the damages the flood caused, I can invest in some weights because I'll finally have room to keep them. I end up sleeping past my alarm a lot (like today I set my alarm for 9 AM... I woke up at 2 PM) and screw myself out of a lot of gym time. I'm exhausted from work. Having the equipment on hand will help me a lot once my personal training sessions end, then I can just mostly go the gym for cardio.

I'm only paying $17 a month for this place, it has very limited hours so going after work or on the weekends when I'm working too is never an option. I don't think it's worth investing $40-50 a month again for something I won't use very often.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiKing View Post
    getting a fridge is an important step, no joke. It takes the time of you preparing one meal off. So instead, by the ingredients, prepare 'em, and put them in the fridge so that when you want to eat, you just cut some and warm up.

that saves time that you can use for exercise.
    Completely agree. I want to go back to where I spend a chunk of one way prepping a week's work of food and just having it on hand for when I need it.

I've probably answered my own questions. I need to find ways to work-out when I can't hit the gym (which I can do) and get that freezer so I can store healthier food choices :P

. tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn & nintendo id squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

Wen it comes to losing weight by eating healthier/going on a diet and exercising, at what time can you eat junk food again? Cause some people say you need to completely have a lifestyle change in regards to eating.
    There's not really a concrete answer for that, moderation is key for junk food. I found when I stopped eating so much junk food, it took about a month for the cravings to go away, and now I barely crave snacks and when I do, it's maybe like 2 weeks apart. Plus, when I do eat a tiny bit of junk food it's enough, as opposed to before when I would just binge on it lol. If you're eating junk food like 6 times a week or something one day at a time every week.

If you count your macros and calories, as long as you plan ahead of time and make it fit into your daily amount of food you're supposed to eat, you can pretty much eat whatever you want. IIFYM is a dirty way to lose weight while still enjoying your favorite foods. I sorta follow it, but not nearly as bad as other people. I would suggest, every other week or one week a month to enjoy yourself. Otherwise you'll be worrying everyday if you've met your protein/carb/salt/fat needs while still wondering if you can sneak in a piece of cake.

Anyone know how I can change the title of the thread? I want to make it into the General Fitness Thread, so people don't think it's only about lifting :)

Anyone know how I can change the title of the thread? I want to make it into the General Fitness Thread, so people don't think it's only about lifting :)
    Ask a moderator to change it. You can PM or send them a VM requesting it. Moderators of this forum are named at the bottom of the 'General Discussion' page. I hope that helps.
    Everything's Eventual...

Just started it. Been watching that mike change guy on youtube :p

Hey all--

I got a request to change the name of the thread to "General Fitness Thread."

I tried, and this is to test to see if that attempt was successful. :-)

It appears it was not. LOL. I probably did something wrong, or us yellows don't have that power. I shall call upon a higher power than I to make the next attempt.

In the meantime, if anyone has any objections to the name change, please do voice them now.

Default Re: General Fitness Thread

Could we add a little tagline that reads -Yay Buster is back! Woho and so on?

Hey! Its Wolfy. And yer all green. Whoo hoo (Did I know that already? LOL Getting old sucks.) Regardless, congrats. So your answer is in the new name--does that mean I DID change it, or did you fix my mistake?

Anyway, happy name change, thread users. Hope you approve. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    Hey! Its Wolfy. And yer all green. Whoo hoo (Did I know that already? LOL Getting old sucks.) Regardless, congrats. So you're answer is in the new name--does that mean I DID change it, or did you fix my mistake?
    Oh i've always been green. Ever since nineteen dickety two, which as you recall was the year when you become 195 and senile.

But nah that was all you. I can't spot any patented Wolfwood flair in that thread title

Awww Wolfy--you always were such a sweet talker.

Now back on topic, you rule breaker you. (Although getting up off the floor after laughing over the nineteen dickety two comment did constitute about as much exercise as I've had since, well, nineteen dickety two, now that I think on it. Guess that makes you some sort of exercise maven. Oh and I guess that covers me too--I mentioned the word exercise--on topic, I'm good. Off to read the numerous chapters I am behind by.)

Alright so the routine I was doing can no longer be done as I had my brother help with spotting during squats and bench presses. I'm not very strong so I can only bench up to 150 for 8 without spotting right now. Since I can no longer do that I'll be working with only dumbbells until I can get a curl bar or find someone else to help spot. My question is, does anyone have a dumbbell only routine they've done? Specifically for chest/back and legs/glutes. I still do my arms 2 times a week but I'm more concerned about the rest. So anything with enough lifting and enough time for cardio and a rest day? Has anyone tried replicating barbell workouts with dumbbells? I heard the balance fucks everything up, anyone have experience?
    Last edited by DartG; April 21st, 2014 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I survived the buster call View Post
    Hey all--

I got a request to change the name of the thread to "General Fitness Thread."

I tried, and this is to test to see if that attempt was successful. :-)

It appears it was not. LOL. I probably did something wrong, or us yellows don't have that power. I shall call upon a higher power than I to make the next attempt.

In the meantime, if anyone has any objections to the name change, please do voice them now.
    Thanks for the name change :)

Quote Originally Posted by DartG View Post
    Alright so the routine I was doing can no longer be done as I had my brother help with spotting during squats and bench presses. I'm not very strong so I can only bench up to 150 for 8 without spotting right now. Since I can no longer do that I'll be working with only dumbbells until I can get a curl bar or find someone else to help spot. My question is, does anyone have a dumbbell only routine they've done? Specifically for chest/back and legs/glutes. I still do my arms 2 times a week but I'm more concerned about the rest. So anything with enough lifting and enough time for cardio and a rest day? Has anyone tried replicating barbell workouts with dumbbells? I heard the balance fucks everything up, anyone have experience?
    If spotting is an issue, you can do barbell exercises that don't need a spot::
    Bent Over Row for Back
    Military Press for shoulders
    Deadlift for Hams/Glutes/Lower Back
    Straight Leg Deadlifts for the same as above, but more emphasis on glutes
    Jefferson Squats for quads
    Front Squats for quads
    ^None of those need a spot, working chest though would be a problem if you don't feel comfortable without a spotter.

For Dumbbells:
    Back: Bent Over Rows (1 arm or both arms, arms can be narrow, or wide), rear delt raises (also known as reverse flyes)
    Chest: Dumbbell bench, Dumbbell incline bench, Pec Flys
    Both Chest and Back: Dumbbell Pullover
    Legs: Lunges, Bulgarian Split Lunge, Dumbbell Straight leg deadlift for hams/glutes. Goblet Squats, Dumbbell overhead squats. Jefferson squats with dumbbells

Routine wise I would recommend doing fullbody 3 times a week (say monday, wednesday, friday) then you can do cardio on your off days (say like tuesday and thursday) then rest the weekend or something along those lines. To put together a routine, just pick 1 exercise for each muscle group (two for legs, one quad dominant, one hamstring dominant), so a dumbbell one for example would be:

Legs: Goblet Squat, Lunges
    Chest: Dumbbell Bench Press
    Back: 1 Arm Bent Over Rows
    Shoulders: Dumbbell Shoulder Press, Rear Delt Fly
    Bi's: Curls or whatever
    Tri's: Tricep Ext. or whatever you feel
    Core: Plank

Sorry I went all out on this if you didn't want me to lol, I'm studying for my exercise prescription exams so this is good practice for me :D but I'll note dumbbells have the challenge of stabilization and balance worked into them, so it's good for working your stabilizers and finding your weaker points (example if one arm is weaker than the other)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information