Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who should play Brook?

Default Who should play Brook?

With FUNimation licensing "Strong World", we're sometime soon going to finally get Brook in the Dub. So who do you guys think should voice him?

Personally, I like the thought of Jerry Jewel. I think that Jewel has a voice that can come close to matching Nagashima. Jewel's voice is both calm, smooth, and unique.

Default Re: Who should play Brook?

John Burgimer for me. Since he captures Brook prefectly since he could use ether Kurama or Shigure voice for the character.

I'm still in the "John Burgermier for Brook" camp. Here are a few clips that personally make me want him for the role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx4VWFSNszo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nOPRlqfa4U

If Jerry is indeed confirmed for Kaku, then he most likely won't be Brook. XP
    Last edited by demonkicksanji; October 16th, 2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Damn computer didn't copy the right url. ><
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Gozar View Post
    With FUNimation licensing "Strong World", we're sometime soon going to finally get Brook in the Dub. So who do you guys think should voice him?

Personally, I like the thought of Jerry Jewel. I think that Jewel has a voice that can come close to matching Nagashima. Jewel's voice is both calm, smooth, and unique.
    Jerry's currently recording Kaku in Season 5 so the chances of him doing Brook are lowered significantly.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by demonkicksanji View Post
    I'm still in the "John Burgermier for Brook" camp. Here are a few clips that personally make me want him for the role:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80mduaikG0I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx4VWFSNszo

That first clip has nothing to do with John Burgmeier. But yeah I think he'd be a solid Brook.

Diabetic Empress Eleganza Miss Saturday's Avatar

Better question is who should play Moriah.

The answer, of course, is obvious..
    Spoiler:
    Gilfred Godfrey

Quote Originally Posted by Maron View Post
    Jerry's currently recording Kaku in Season 5 so the chances of him doing Brook are lowered significantly.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

That first clip has nothing to do with John Burgmeier. But yeah I think he'd be a solid Brook.
    Sorry about that, for some reason the 1st link kept going to that particular opening song even after changing it. Weird. Anyway, I've fixed the problem. The 2nd link (formerly, the 1st link) is imo a better showcase of how I feel Brook should sound. ^^
    Youtube Channel:

That's right! I completely forgot about him as Kaku. I was just thinking about the fact that he's only Merry and Minchy.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Saturday View Post
    Better question is who should play Moriah.

The answer, of course, is obvious..
    Spoiler:
    Gilfred Godfrey
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can totally see it xD I agree with this
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Anyone but Vic MignogLARRRGH.

I'm an advocate of Duncan Brannan, myself:

Plus, he's been Chuck E. Cheese for years, so he certainly has singing experience. XD

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

There are so many likely candidates. I really hope Funi doesn't drop the ball on Brook's voice.
    So far, all of the Straw Hats voices have been very good fits, so I'd be very disappointed if Brook ended up a voice that didn't fit him.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

I'll just leave this here. (btw I think Vic Mignogna should do it)
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I'm an advocate of Duncan Brannan, myself:

Plus, he's been Chuck E. Cheese for years, so he certainly has singing experience. XD
    I remember this vid, wasn't he also the guy who played Mr. 3? If so, I'm not too sure on him playing Brook considering the fact that Mr. 3 not only played a big role in Little Garden (and a small one in Alabasta) but will also play some bigger roles in ID and Marineford, so I don't think Funimation would go with him.

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post

Meh, I'd still rather hear Vic do Moria. He can just do a slightly screechier version of Nezumi, and he'd be golden. Plus, Vic hasn't had any big name or recurring characters, and Moria would not only fit a voice he could do, but it would be an awesome 180 on the stereotypical "heart-throb" and/or "badass" characters he usually plays.
    Youtube Channel:

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post

hahaha, eww no thanks. No need to give ole' Vic a reason, to ask to see a girls panties. I like the Jerry Jewel idea, but Kaku definately lowers it... John doesn't sound bad. What about the guy that voice Whitey(Shiro) in Crayon Shin Chan?
    You're a lion! I nearly hit you! YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA!

I remember this vid, wasn't he also the guy who played Mr. 3? If so, I'm not too sure on him playing Brook considering the fact that Mr. 3 not only played a big role in Little Garden (and a small one in Alabasta) but will also play some bigger roles in ID and Marineford, so I don't think Funimation would go with him.
    I don't think prior roles are the end-all be-all of who will be considered. It's probably more of a guideline where they don't want one of the main actors playing a bunch of other roles like Sabat was forced to do in DBZ, but it's not like it hasn't happened already. Brina Palencia plays both Chopper and young Zoro, and Patrick Seitz played a bunch of side characters already, including Kuroobi. As for the other choices, John Burgmeier is Fullbody who will also be present in the war, Jerry Jewel is Kaku who is only one arc before Brook, and Vic is already so connected to the theme songs, so they might want to differentiate Brook's songs from them.

Whoever they get will likely have to be one of their more established actors, since they need to know he'll be able to stick with it for the long haul and have the acting chops to work with, especially with singing involved. It's highly unlikely they'll have just the guy in mind who hasn't already had some part in the show by that point.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Me. I should play Brook. Just give me enough time to finish college and get down to audition :P

I mean, come on. I'm majoring in Musical Theatre, I'm clearly qualified.

I don't think prior roles are the end-all be-all of who will be considered. It's probably more of a guideline where they don't want one of the main actors playing a bunch of other roles like Sabat was forced to do in DBZ, but it's not like it hasn't happened already. Brina Palencia plays both Chopper and young Zoro, and Patrick Seitz played a bunch of side characters already, including Kuroobi. As for the other choices, John Burgmeier is Fullbody who will also be present in the war, Jerry Jewel is Kaku who is only one arc before Brook, and Vic is already so connected to the theme songs, so they might want to differentiate Brook's songs from them.

Whoever they get will likely have to be one of their more established actors, since they need to know he'll be able to stick with it for the long haul and have the acting chops to work with, especially with singing involved. It's highly unlikely they'll have just the guy in mind who hasn't already had some part in the show by that point.
    Well, don't forget I also mentioned that if he is Mr. 3, then he would be playing a bigger role in ID and Marineford too. Mr. 3 is not such a minor character when compared to Young Zoro, Fullbody, and Kuroobi (in the grand scheme of the series thus far). Hell, Mr. 3 has almost as much if not more screen time than each of them combined in Little Garden alone...add in Alabasta, ID, and Marineford, and that's a whole lot of screen time (and direct interaction with Luffy). In no way am I trying to say that John B. is the be-all-end-all Brook with my logic, but for me, I think it would be a good choice, and he'll bring a sophisticated, yet playful voice to Brook (Shigure from FB), while also being able to pull off the badass and sad moments (Kurama from YYH). If anything, finding out who ends up playing Brook is one of the things I'm most looking forward to once SW comes out! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Zek View Post
    Me. I should play Brook. Just give me enough time to finish college and get down to audition :P

I mean, come on. I'm majoring in Musical Theatre, I'm clearly qualified.
    Hehe, I'd like to voice act for Funimation (or any other anime company) too. I dabble in voice work. XD Plus, if I could get any role in OP, I'd gladly do it for free! Having my name and voice in OP would be reward enough...though that's a pipe dream. XP
    Youtube Channel:

Vic is already so connected to the theme songs, so they might want to differentiate Brook's songs from them.
    I don't think that will be an issue considering FUNimation seems to have fully abandoned Dubbing the One Piece Music. But honestly, I don't think Vic would be a good fit for Brook. I like the idea that people are throwing out of Vic being Moria.

Quote Originally Posted by Gozar View Post
    I don't think that will be an issue considering FUNimation seems to have fully abandoned Dubbing the One Piece Music.
    You sure about that? As far as I'm concerned, they only ran into trouble with "Kokoro no Chizu" only because of a copyright issue (or something) with the Japanese artists, and according to the disclaimer on the DVD of OPS4V1, it could be resolved by the OPS4V3. If there was actually any confirmation on them "fully abandoning," then that does suck.
    Youtube Channel:

You sure about that? As far as I'm concerned, they only ran into trouble with "Kokoro no Chizu" only because of a copyright issue (or something) with the Japanese artists, and according to the disclaimer on the DVD of OPS4V1, it could be resolved by the OPS4V3. If there was actually any confirmation on them "fully abandoning," then that does suck.
    I wasn't aware of this. What did this disclaimer say and where was it? But also, they didn't Dub the ending either.

Closed Thread

Thread Information