Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who should play Brook?

Default Re: Who should play Brook?

Quote Originally Posted by Gozar View Post
    I wasn't aware of this. What did this disclaimer say and where was it? But also, they didn't Dub the ending either.
    It took me a while to find this in the DVD discussion thread, but here is a screencap of the disclaimer on the DVD of OP S4V1:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maron View Post
    That has nothing to do with it, it's a licensing issue.

https://p.twimg.com/AyMB0cYCYAIJxrf.jpg

FUNi shows here that they want to continue dubbing songs, but licensing prevents that for now.
    Either which way, the ending wasn't dubbed, but it also wasn't the correct, chronological ending, so maybe they were forced to use it but didn't have the time dub it. I'm not too sure, but I think the actual ending song that was supposed to be used wasn't able to get licensed in time either. Not 100% sure on the matter, but I hope I helped a little.
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

The licensing issue was solely with Tackey & Tsubasa's song, leaving them in the lurch without time to dub the next ending. Most likely it should be resolved by the time voyage 3 comes out and when both Eternal Pose and Kokoro no Chizu were intended to be ready.

The main reason I point to Brannan's clip is that none of the other clips people have posted so far has, to me, had that sort of foppish quality to them that I'm listening for. I don't hear Kurama, Shigure, Conan or Ed and connect them to Brook. It's not so much about the actor himself, rather that they get someone who can pull of that throaty, psuedo-uppercrust tone rather than a boyish, nasally one. I'm sure any of these guys could do it, but I'm waiting to hear it from them for myself.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

What should be more important? The overall voice quality? Or the laugh, and ability to sing well?

I would be on Team Chris Ayres, but his recent promotion to full-time ADR director over at Sentai leads me to believe that might not happen. My #2 (despite being pretty much a shoe-in to get his role from Unlimited Adventure back) is Kent Williams, and my #3 is Jerry Russell (Ohji from Casshern Sins, Tim Marcoh in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood).

Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    What should be more important? The overall voice quality? Or the laugh, and ability to sing well?
    The overall voice. Of the three aspects between talking, laughing and singing, talking is going to be heard the most, and the other two should fall in line naturally from there. As long as the guy isn't tone deaf, I think the in-character singing should be fine no matter what; it's not like Cho will be winning a Grammy anytime soon.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Funimation needs to pick one of their "older" voice actors, to get a certain elderly quality that can be on par with Cho's greatness.

I think a lot of people peg Brook with a sort of silly slightly old/almost brittish voice, that's easy enough. But I think he really needs that old raspiness to him, obviously counterbalanced by Brook's high energy.

Slightly unrelated note here, but they guy who voices Red Legged Zeff in the dub is great! Really sounds like an old geezer. I'm not saying he should play Brook or anything, but I do think Brook needs an old timey quality to his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by demonkicksanji View Post
    It took me a while to find this in the DVD discussion thread, but here is a screencap of the disclaimer on the DVD of OP S4V1:

Either which way, the ending wasn't dubbed, but it also wasn't the correct, chronological ending, so maybe they were forced to use it but didn't have the time dub it. I'm not too sure, but I think the actual ending song that was supposed to be used wasn't able to get licensed in time either. Not 100% sure on the matter, but I hope I helped a little.
    Oh wow. OK, that's really good to hear then. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    I'm an advocate of Duncan Brannan, myself:

Plus, he's been Chuck E. Cheese for years, so he certainly has singing experience. XD
    ...he was Chuck E. Cheese? ....ahahaha. XDDD

But, yes. He'd be a fine choice for Brook! :D

No Vic Mignogna. I don't really understand why people want him for the role. Sure, he can sing. I don't think he can fit him. Jerry Jewel could work too.

That voice. To my knowledge, it's only been used for villainous characters. It'd be weird on Brook. The guy would need to change a lot of the inflections, but the sound is close to right.

Well, personally, I think Ian Sinclair would be great for brook! I think he plays some dandy dude or whatever
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

Woah never thought I'd see this thread bumped lol Ian has been doing a great job as Brook he totally nails and his scenes are always hilarious but he also gets Brook's sensitive side down very well. I remember when he was announced as Brook and everyone here thought it was such an left field choice, glad we were all wrong about him not fitting the role lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    Well, personally, I think Ian Sinclair would be great for brook! I think he plays some dandy dude or whatever
    Yes, it's nice to go back down memory lane. But please don't necropost. Anyway, I think this thread's question has been answers. Locked.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?

Closed Thread

Thread Information