Closed Thread
Page 894 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 394 794 844 884 892 893 894 895 896 904 944 994 ... LastLast
Results 17,861 to 17,880 of 26007

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Shanks will not die. He will continue to have adventures in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    The only way Shanks' death could get more obvious since the get-go is if Teach carved in some perpendicularly diagonal scars across Shanks' mutilated eye so that X marks the spot to represent how blatant the narrative crosshairs on his head are as the series' tragic mentor demise trope representation for the protagonist.
    That and wearing a red shirt.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholemew Bear View Post
    Shanks will not die. He will continue to have adventures in the sky.
    Have you ever wondered how Oda thought that for the name for Luffy's mentor, of all the possible choices he had, the most fitting one had to be "Shanks"?

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    tragic mentor demise trope
    This is literally the only reason people think Shanks is going to die.

A trope. Everything else is bias confirmation.

It's like you guys are openly saying Oda's a huge trope-pandering hack with the writing skills of a 13 year old fanfiction writer. I'd like to think he's got just a wee bit more talent than that.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

It's like you guys are openly saying Oda's a huge trope-pandering hack with the writing skills of a 13 year old fanfiction writer. I'd like to think he's got just a wee bit more talent than that.
    Nope. The fact that a match between Shanks and Teach is inevitable, and how it would only have purpose in the story if Shanks lost, is present. As well as the fact that three of the role models that are still alive (Shanks, Mihawk, and Yasopp) of three Straw Hats (Luffy, Zoro, and Usopp) all just "coincidentally" happen to be highly affiliated with each other to the point of frequently hanging out. Along with how Shanks stopped the Marineford War, and the Final War is most likely to be an expanded parallel to that conflict. Except without a power like Shanks around to stop it. Plus, it would be pretty underwhelming for Luffy to get Shanks, a Yonko, to help him out in the Final War as well as becoming Pirate King.

What else would Shanks, who has done nothing but look epic and act as a source of inspiration, contribute to the story? Even Ace gave plenty more than that. And there's no way that Luffy and Shanks are going to have a serious fight if they meet. Only a brief sparring match at best. And Teach has to rise in power from just staying a Yonko somehow to acclimate himself as the final villain, as well as surpass Akainu in earning Luffy's sheer disdain (not that the gap is that big).

It's all pretty simple narrative comprehension. You just doubt it for the sake of doubting it because there is at least a decade left in the series, as if that means we don't have a backlog of twenty years to pick apart Oda's storytelling patterns and themes. Even though Oda always leaves a trail when it comes to planning out significant events on his manga (not that he isn't frequently serendipitous with arc executions and minor characters).
    Last edited by Count Mario; January 6th, 2017 at 07:56 PM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Yea, the shadow of death was put upon Shanks the moment Oda foreshadowed another clash between he and Blackbeard during the closing moments of Marineford. He's hitting us right in the face with it, but I don't think it'll be a total wash though like some people fear. Shanks is a Yonko after all and Oda has yet to give him (nor his crew for that matter) a chance to show their true capabilities , aside from word of mouth and a lot of flexing during crucial turning points in the series and at it's inception from Luffy's initial origin about how he got his Hat.

For that matter , that's why I don't think it's likely Jinbe meets his demise at this point in the story at Whole Cake or any other for that matter during the series, he will be a Strawhat Pirate. Not an ally or honorary member like Vivi, (who herself may have a chance to rejoin depending on how The Reverie arc shapes up) because quite frankly it wouldn't serve any narrative purpose in the story that Ace's didn't already serve. Just go down the list and you'll see what I mean, Ace's death gave Luffy a taste of the strength level of a Yonko and Top tier Pirates he'll be dealing with in the New World and the psycho mentality Marines have towards those infamy Pirates compared to the what now seems like Stormtrooper fodder from Paradise's perspective. Plus it gave him his first real taste of complete and utter defeat that surpassed that of what happened on Sabaody imo.

That's check, check and check. Plus like Mario says, there's no way Luffy will full on try to take down Shanks at most they'll all spar (SHs vs RHs) on a testing ones abilities and and mentality gained up to have reached their point of this wild sea level, to see if they're really worthy to grace Raftel but I honestly never got the inclination Luffy and Shanks would ever really fight. (Just look whats happening with Mihawk and Zoro these days)

Also just to get back on topic I know people think he's below it or something but more and more I'm assuming Jinbe will simply be the Helmsmen of the Strawhats. Because unlike the others there hasn't been an emphasis on particular need to be filled aside from the brief or various , however subtle trouble the crew has had manning or steering the Sunny since the timeskip whether Franky be preoccupied or conveniently absent. Plus Jinbe's dream doesn't necessarily align with a crew position as well as some of the others, his is more about an ideology and social agenda. (But Ive seen some very convincing theories about Joy Boy , the promised day/Madam Shirley's vision and Noah)

To go even deeper this brings Nami's own arc kind of full circle along with Jinbe's himself, as he feels responsible for her childhood nightmares due to letting Arlong run loose, while she who wants to sail while making a Map of the world will now be steered to said destinations by the most honorable and good hearted Fishman of them all.
    Last edited by Blowfish; January 6th, 2017 at 09:11 PM.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

While Count and Blowfish give pretty good, in-depth reasons as why Shanks will get Whitebearded, I look at it like this. Shanks' reason for giving the straw hat to Luffy was that he was betting on Luffy to usher in a new generation. He told Luffy that he could only return it once he was a great pirate. The ONLY way that Luffy will ever be considered a great pirate (at least in his own mind) is if he becomes Pirate King.

The problem is, to become PK, he'll have to face off against Blackbeard and the BB/Shanks face off has already been foreshadowed. Once BB's crew finishes assembling the "strongest" DFs, they'll likely make their move and one way or another, take out Shanks. I'm also of the mindset that Mihawk will somehow get offed by Shiliew in order to get the title that Zoro wants, but that's another story.

Anyway, we can reasonably assume that Luffy will NOT take out all 4 yonkou. Taking out 1 (Kaido) will be a monumental task, but we can be sure that he'll also face off against BB. There's really no room for him to take out 3 yonkou (not even including Big Mom) or the story becomes too unbelievable given what we know about a yonkou. Back to Shanks, he ultimately gets smoked, Luffy ascends to PK, and at the end of the story, returns the SH to Shanks' grave. At that point, his promise is fulfilled and the Straw Hat pirates are no more.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    While Count and Blowfish give pretty good, in-depth reasons as why Shanks will get Whitebearded, I look at it like this. Shanks' reason for giving the straw hat to Luffy was that he was betting on Luffy to usher in a new generation. He told Luffy that he could only return it once he was a great pirate. The ONLY way that Luffy will ever be considered a great pirate (at least in his own mind) is if he becomes Pirate King.

The problem is, to become PK, he'll have to face off against Blackbeard and the BB/Shanks face off has already been foreshadowed. Once BB's crew finishes assembling the "strongest" DFs, they'll likely make their move and one way or another, take out Shanks. I'm also of the mindset that Mihawk will somehow get offed by Shiliew in order to get the title that Zoro wants, but that's another story.

Anyway, we can reasonably assume that Luffy will NOT take out all 4 yonkou. Taking out 1 (Kaido) will be a monumental task, but we can be sure that he'll also face off against BB. There's really no room for him to take out 3 yonkou (not even including Big Mom) or the story becomes too unbelievable given what we know about a yonkou. Back to Shanks, he ultimately gets smoked, Luffy ascends to PK, and at the end of the story, returns the SH to Shanks' grave. At that point, his promise is fulfilled and the Straw Hat pirates are no more.
    I pretty agree with you, only difference, if Shanks is Makino's babydad, the hat will go to the child
    "I'm simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?"

Why would shank travel all the way to windmill village to knock up Makino?lol
    I think it's more likely that Makino's husband is someone from windmill village or Goa...

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    I think it's more likely that Makino's husband is someone from windmill village or Goa...
    Why shanks would stay in that backwater village for who knows how much time in chapter one?

It is the only newborn that we saw in present times, the baby being the offspring of some fisherman would make even less sense.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Shanks is the Jiraya to Luffy's Naruto. Just better characters.

He's a dead man walking.

Quote Originally Posted by KzTxL7 View Post
    I wasn't distracted by Lucy being half naked.

You won this week Fairy Tail.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyBlue View Post
    Oda did mention that the baby's father was "You-know-who" so, it cannot be someone we do not know of.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Anyway, we can reasonably assume that Luffy will NOT take out all 4 yonkou. Taking out 1 (Kaido) will be a monumental task, but we can be sure that he'll also face off against BB. There's really no room for him to take out 3 yonkou (not even including Big Mom) or the story becomes too unbelievable given what we know about a yonkou..
    I just gonna post this.
    http://mangaseeonline.net/read-onlin...6-page-19.html

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    that's really confusing because he's only holding up three fingers
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    that's really confusing because he's only holding up three fingers
    That might be symbolizing one to go then three to take down later.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post

Some wrong guy .

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    It's nice for Luffy to want things. Whitebeard wanted to save Ace. So did Luffy. Given the fact that we see how much effort it takes to "beat" a single yonkou (Marineford for WB and the massive buildup for Kaido), I don't see how someone can entertain the belief that Luffy will defeat all four of the current yonkou. He'll take out two, which no one in the OP world would even consider possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraco View Post
    I pretty agree with you, only difference, if Shanks is Makino's babydad, the hat will go to the child
    Ok. I'd entertain that possibility just for the symbolism itself.

It's nice for Luffy to want things. Whitebeard wanted to save Ace. So did Luffy. Given the fact that we see how much effort it takes to "beat" a single yonkou (Marineford for WB and the massive buildup for Kaido), I don't see how someone can entertain the belief that Luffy will defeat all four of the current yonkou. He'll take out two, which no one in the OP world would even consider possible.
    You believe Luffy will not become the Pirate King? You know, that thing he says everytime.

And Luffy did in fact saved Ace. All he needed it was to Ace not to be a reckless idiot after he just saved his bacon.

Since when Pirate King = Defeating all the Yonkous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luffy has to beat all four Emperors to become Pirate Champion.

This will open the way to Raftel where he can catch Mewtwo.

Does Mewtwo have haki? What's his dream?
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Closed Thread

Thread Information